How really hard is this game?

Burstawesome

I just recently started this game since I bought the second game as an impulse buy and decided to start on the first game. I am around chapter 6 right now on survivor, and so far the only issues I have are being overwhelmed and running out of supplies. The horrible FPS on some sections have also been bad but nothing seems too difficult. I have done Outlast 2 on permadeth and this game is a 9/10 difficulty with 8,000 achievers. Is this game really this hard on Akumu, since you also get unlimited tries? I would just like a heads up since I'm having fun and am excited to finish this game and dlc and move to the sequel.

Did this am a couple months ago on PC. Was it hard not really, suspenseful for sure if it’s your first play through. Akumu though is another story, in short it was fucking bullshit but I guess Shinji Mikami loves his bullshit difficulty modes. (Love him though)

RE5 and RE6 Insta death modes were “easy” cause of the partner mechanic and the relatively open spaces. The Evil Within is another story. There is still one hit kills with no buffer zones and a lot of the arena battles are confined spaces with 3 to 5 infected. Not to mention cheap enemy position and infected with guns. RNG also factors a lot in many of the battles and you need to figure out how enemy spawns work. 

The sequel on the other hand is a lot easier even without the cheats but still relatively hard unless you know what you’re doing. 

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 4

AKUMU is identical to Nightmare (not Survival) in terms of enemy placement and behavior. The only difference is really the One Hit Kill rule for you, this will make a lot of situations not hard per se, but VERY annoying and frustrating. Especially when enemies with automatic weapons start to appear. xD

Edited by evs_castro
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Burstawesome said:

I just recently started this game since I bought the second game as an impulse buy and decided to start on the first game. I am around chapter 6 right now on survivor, and so far the only issues I have are being overwhelmed and running out of supplies. The horrible FPS on some sections have also been bad but nothing seems too difficult. I have done Outlast 2 on permadeth and this game is a 9/10 difficulty with 8,000 achievers. Is this game really this hard on Akumu, since you also get unlimited tries? I would just like a heads up since I'm having fun and am excited to finish this game and dlc and move to the sequel.

Honestly Akumu is more of a 3/10 in terms of difficulty. Maxed out flash bolts, matches and an upgraded shotgun, will carry you through the bulk of the game. When you've maxed out shotgun damage, get your sniper damage up. Crit chance is useless so don't waste gel on it (kneecap and match) you'll have plenty of resources.

• Like 2

I was going to attempt this platinum on a previous account, but my main issue was I didn't enjoy the game in the first playthrough. I never tried akumu because I just wasn't interested in pursuing that level of challenge on a game I didn't like playing. If this game is something you're into, I wish you good fortune on the hard road ahead. Otherwise, I'd say to avoid it. Especially, if you're a completionist that wants a 100% profile.

On 9/9/2020 at 3:49 PM, evs_castro said:

AKUMU is identical to Survival in terms of enemy placement and behavior.

This is not true, there a couple of changes that are only found on Akumu: 

1-Abundance of traps and including bear traps in boss fights, The Sentinel and Laura. 

2-Changed and early enemy placements, fake Ruvik  spawns from chapter 3, Ruvik is much faster on chapter 9, two fake Ruviks spawn in chapter 11,  there are two Traumas in chapter 14..etc

• Like 4

go to youtube and lookup a user by the name jigzaw killer. he has an akumu walkthrough. basically when you play the game have this video up on a laptop/computer/tablet/phone whatever you use and just try your best to copy everything he does. watch the video for a few moments, pause the video then unpause your game and try and mimic what he does.  he has literally the best strats for really hard parts and bosses. He also does an amazing job in detail explaining what hes doing and how to set up before certain areas. if you follow this guide trust me you'll get through it without any issues at all.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Megatritionsts said:

I never played the evil within before but it looks like a challenge I would give it a try one day.

I really enjoyed the game and would definitely recommend it.  It definitely requires some patience for some parts (looking at your chapter 6), but I found it to be really enjoyable.  If you are going for the 100% just be aware that The Executioner DLC can be a bit frustrating.  It's completely possible, but it will take some trial and error.  If you are into survival horror games, this should be near the top of your list.  Some truly memorable moments.  I'm actually thinking of replaying it close to Halloween depending how far I get in Persona 5 Royal.  :)

• Like 1

It's not a 9, I've 100% it twice (on a previous account). I'd say a hard 6 or 7 is more fair if I'm being unbiased (the game is quite easy once you know what to upgrade first).  There is a ton of good information about the game if you look on gFAQ's and youtube. The AKUMU guide here is ok, but it's outdated. 

That said, I still died 121 times doing it again. It counts your deaths. First time I did it was 300 something. 

Chapter 6 and Chapter 11 are the hardest parts of the game. Honestly, Chapter 6's burning house is really *not that bad* on AKUMU. You just need to have flash bolts upgraded to 3 or 4, and have some trap parts (you should have 40 or so by this point). You just sit there, and shoot flash bolts off whenever enemies get close. The section is on a timer, you don't have to kill anything. You're basically stunlocking the enemies until Joseph unlocks the doors. If a new enemy spawns in that isn't stunned, you wait and shoot another when it gets close. Rinse and repeat.

Chapter 11 is a completely different story that requires a ton of precision on multiple occasions. The gondola ride, and the part before it with the shutter / machine gun enemies are brutal.

Edited by Tunnel1ngEffect

I didn’t see it said yet but to make some situations on Akumu easier you can actually manipulate enemy spawns to an extent.

An example of this is during the chapter with Joseph Oda where you must protect him while he opens door and you’re in a small house. Normally you’d think you have to kill everything that comes in the house. But if you do that 4-5 enemies start swarming you. But if you play it carefully during both phases if you kill 1 enemy you only have to contend with 2 or 3 and then you can just kite them around.

Sometimes it’s not about playing better but rather smarter. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ahmedelebiary said:

This is not true, there a couple of changes that are only found on Akumu: 

1-Abundance of traps and including bear traps in boss fights, The Sentinel and Laura. 

2-Changed and early enemy placements, fake Ruvik  spawns from chapter 3, Ruvik is much faster on chapter 9, two fake Ruviks spawn in chapter 11,  there are two Traumas in chapter 14..etc

Oops, i meant to say Nightmare difficulty. And no, this changes are not exclusive to AKUMU.

Edited by evs_castro

No it’s not as bad at all. Make sure to upgrade your bolts as it is the most important thing you will be using in your run. Personally I didn’t bother much with stealth because enemies will turn around too fast and 1 hit kill you. So in this case using level 4 flash bolt can make you kill multiple enemies at once instead. 
Play shadow warrior on heroic now that’s what I will say a really 9/10 difficulty game. 
Good luck!!

Edited by FearlessElle

There are some great video guides for the game including Akumu which can definitely help you find extremely easy ways around difficult scenarios. Definitely recommend using them. 

11 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

On a scale of moldy banana to brick wall id say titanium steel :) but if memory serves they put in cheats that don't turn off trophies that makes it a cake walk which ticked off most of us who did it legitimately  before they patched in the cheats

That was Evil Within 2. There are no cheats for part 1. 

akumu mode is insanely hard. i have a hole in my wu tang poster and the wall behind it from throwing my ps4 controller at it and the handle went right into my wall and came back at me like a boomerang. the chapter where they come in the windows is extremely hard, not only d you have to finish the top floor, you have to finish the bottom floor which is almost pure luck. i know i died over 200 times total. it might of been around 400. theres a trick for the top room but the bottom room ugh. make sure you study up on what weapons to use. im blanking out but there was some sort of bow i think with a electric shock upgrade? i think that helped me. also another hard part was when you fight that boss lady that dissapears and reappears thats chasing you and you have to run as your hitting the valve stems. its like 4 sections you have to master perfectly. 

i made this video a long time ago it might help

This topic is interesting because it also touches on DLC practices. There was a preorder survival pack dlc for The Evil Within 1 that contained several exclusive bolts, namely flame bolts. There were two sections of Akumu that Im nearly certain I wouldn't have been able to do without those bolts. To my knowledge this pack has never been available since, paid or not, which is completely ridiculous. They went through the ffort of programming them just for them never to be used. 

With Seraphim17's AKUMU guides on YouTube, it really isn't that hard. The only thing you really need to watch for as I remember, is to make sure you have enough resources before you get to certain sections, otherwise you're going to have a very hard time, but even then it's doable.