BRKsEAGLE's Flight Towards Greatness

Eagle

Nice start. Know what I'm most jealous of? Your age. You got 20 years to play all the games you want before you catch up to me.

It's interesting to rank games by the order in which you play them. I kinda like that because I usually wait until I platinum a game before giving my full review, which is sometimes unfair to the game, as I'm usually sick of it by that point. I look forward to seeing your AC Odyssey review, as that's a game I've had sitting on the shelf for a while.

On 09/09/2020 at 4:20 PM, Cassylvania said:

Nice start. Know what I'm most jealous of? Your age. You got 20 years to play all the games you want before you catch up to me.

It's interesting to rank games by the order in which you play them. I kinda like that because I usually wait until I platinum a game before giving my full review, which is sometimes unfair to the game, as I'm usually sick of it by that point. I look forward to seeing your AC: Odyssey review, as that's a game I've had sitting on the shelf for a while.

Thanks for the honor of commenting in my thread! :D About my age, on one hand, it is indeed good that I have a big amount of time to go after stuff, but on the other hand, I can't really buy much stuff to go after (especially with how bad the economy of my country is). And, about the games, I do plan to fully complete them in the future, but while I don't have the means of doing so, I just do as best as I can then.

I plan to do all reviews tomorrow, and some other stuff as well, since I'll be on my tablet the entire day anyway (yes, I'm one of the few people in the world who use a tablet as their main access to media), so stay tuned for that.

Edited by Eagle

I see new checklist, I come in to show my support. Pleasant surprise to see it's BRK's thread.

If the prices on Brazilian PSN are a concern to you, I'd be happy to teach you the Turkey Trick to buy games from the Turkish PSN; due to low local taxes and the Turkish Lira's low value, you can get some real good deals there. Although you'd need an adult to open the bank account needed for it.

On 09/09/2020 at 7:33 PM, Copanele said:

Heyo, just wanted to say that I really love that intro. Best of luck on the checklist! 

Also waiting for the AC review, since I love that stabby-climby series. xD

Thanks for the support, and thanks for the luck! :D

On 10/09/2020 at 5:26 AM, Golem25 said:

I see new checklist, I come in to show my support. Pleasant surprise to see it's Eagle's thread.

If the prices on Brazilian PSN are a concern to you, I'd be happy to teach you the Turkey Trick to buy games from the Turkish PSN; due to low local taxes and the Turkish lira's low value, you can get some real good deals there. Although you'd need an adult to open the bank account needed for it.

I know about the Turkish store being cheaper, but, as you said, no way I'm gonna convince my parents to open a Turkey account for games. But thanks for the support, I really appreciate it.

Already working on the remaining reviews, so keep an eye out.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hey. I know I said I'd have all reviews completed by September, but I have a terrible habit of being an idiot. Nah, but seriously, I didn't have as much time as I thought I would, and then I also got carried away. But I finally completed all of them, so yeah, kudos to me.

About Witcher, as you can see in the opening post, I completed the base game now. I'm at Blood and Wine, and man, Toussaint's beautiful. It's definitely one of the most colorful and vibrant places I've ever seen in games. Planning to do HZD afterwards, but might change my mind. Whaddya guys think?

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello peeps, it's me again. As much as I hate triple-posting (as if double-posting already wasn't bad enough), what should I do, right? But, this time, I come with news. Very good news.

Game #8 – The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

L4a541a.png

Three months and 200 hours later, I have finally platinumed this gigantic game. Now, I'm used to it, having already spent about that amount of time platting AC: Odyssey, but it still doesn't make the task less daunting. However, the hours spent were, in my humble opinion, extremely worth the while and I don't regret it even one bit. But let's go by parts, shall we?

First, the story. Oh man, the story... even though I'm not too knowledgeable about the franchises with deep lores out there, I think it's a safe bet to say this game fits that group. It's a big story, with many intricacies that probably will make you very confused at the beginning unless you've had prior experience. However, that's only at the beginning. I have never read the books or played the first two games, but the game explains the lore so well, be it through dialogue or the many books scattered around, that, after a few hours, I felt truly immersed in the world. The story of the game itself is also a very good one, with many twists and turns, choices that actually matter and various possibilities.

Second, the gameplay. Now, this is kind of a weird one. Looking at it objectively, it's pretty bad. Regular combat is bread-and-butter, and Geralt controls clunkily, which can make traversal difficult. But it still managed to keep me entertained, and, playing on Death March, you are encouraged to experiment with everything the game gives you (potions, bombs, etc.) in order to defeat the most difficult enemies. And, in fact, I'd say that's the way I recommend you approach combat. I admit I am guilty of mostly sticking to the basics, that is, sword and signs (this game's version of spells), but if you don't mind taking your time to learn new stuff, that will make combat extremely fun for you.

Third, the secondary content. Side quests are awesome, some of them springing to mind immediately when talking about the game (like recovering GOG to use against DRM). Locations, while still not necessarily the most creative ones, are still much more diverse and fun to complete than in Odyssey. Except the underwater locations. Screw those.

Fourth, gwent. I had a blast playing it. Like, it's obviously not as deep as, y'know, Magic: The GatheringHearthstone or anything like that, but it's incredibly fun, and to think they created a whole card game just as a secondary thing (you don't even need to touch it to complete the game, if you don't want to), honestly blows my mind away.

Fifth, the soundtrack. I usually don't say much about soundtrack because, to be fair, I don't even notice most songs besides one or two in the majority of games, but this game really knows how to use its sound well. The songs really get you into the action, be it a calm music on a "romantic encounter" (what the game is probably most known for, if I'm being perfectly honest) or an epic boss theme.

Sixth, Blood and Wine. Y'know when I said Toussaint was beautiful? That was true. But, when I entered the fairytale world (not gonna elaborate to avoid as much spoilers as possible, but it makes sense in context), it put that to shame. Jokes aside, it's a really good DLC, which could honestly become a standalone game if they really wanted to. Really good story, gorgeous scenery and lots of cool new mechanics and stuff to do. What else could you ask for?

Seventh, miscellaneous ramblings. Boss battles are a bit disappointing, but at least they aren't a QTE, so I'm happy with that. Loading times are huge. You can get through the entire story doing only a few side quests to level up if you really just want to rush the main stuff, and you can also defeat overleveled enemies with enough persistence if you really want to, so it's not a grindy game at all, which is good for an RPG.

So, I said I was thinking about playing HZD next, but, as a late birthday gift, I got the AC: Ezio Collection and Batman: Arkham Collection. And I can't pass up the opportunity to play AC2 again, so yeah, that's my next game. :)

EDIT: Forgot about the bugs. This game has a myriad of bugs. Most of them are harmless and even quite funny, but some of them, like having your boat thrown into limbo and thus softlocking you, are really prejudicial.

EDIT #2: Also, unpausable cutscenes? Seriously? Oh, well.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 2

Sup eagle, always nice to see a fellow brazilian around here, i left there a few years ago but i still am a "huehue" inside lol

Anyway, you have some great games done already, good luck on your future hunts, besides injustice i think you won't have much trouble with your backlog, maybe only Revelations 2, i'm going through that one myself and it's not easy to do Invisible mode and speedrun solo, so get ready for that. So yeah, keep your reviews coming, had a ton of fun reading through them

On 26/10/2020 at 11:48 PM, Phantochi said:

Sup Eagle, always nice to see a fellow Brazilian around here. I left a few years ago, but I still am a "huehue" inside, LOL.

Anyway, you have some great games done already. Good luck on your future hunts - besides Injustice, I think you won't have much trouble with your backlog. Maybe with RE:R2, since I'm going through that one myself and it's not easy to do Invisible Mode and solo speedruns, so get ready for that. So yeah, keep your reviews coming, had a ton of fun reading through them.

Hey, dude! (Punny name you got there, LOL.) Thanks for your support! Yeah, I'm really excited and scared for the survival horror games + Injustice at the same time, because they're not the easiest plats of them all, from what it seems, and I suck at the genres. But the challenge's part of the fun. :P

Edited by Eagle

On 27/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, talespagni said:

Muito bom! Estarei acompanhando.

Levando em conta a sua idade, o seu inglês é excelente. Parabéns!

On 27/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, JPHolzer said:

Great checklist and great games you have there, mate. I will eagerly wait for your updates. 1f601.png

Your English is also very good, especially considering your age, so props to that as well.

É nóis! Hehehe.

Thanks, both of you! Nice to see more Brazilians in here! It's funny how I learned English: by playing videogames from such a young age as I did, since most of them were in English, because, as you know, translations weren't really a thing back then (some games, like Killzone 2, had PT-PT, but those were few and far between), I was kinda forced to learn it if I wanted to understand the story. And I did. I still want to learn another language, but I'll do so when I feel I need to, like if I move countries in the future or something.

Tamo junto.

Edited by Eagle

• 1 month later...

G'night, ladies and laddies. Or g'morning, depending on where you are. Or even g'afternoon. Timezones, huh? Oh well. Time to announce my newest platinum, which is... 

insert dramatic drumrolls here

Game #9 – Assassin's Creed II

L50c47f.png

So, there really isn't much I can say about this game that other people (and even I) haven't said already... it's an 11-year old game, after all. Awesome protagonist, awesome soundtrack, awesome story, awesome gameplay... my bajillionth time playing this, and yet, I never got bored. It's one of my two favorite games of all time for a reason, and, as corny as this sounds, it's a game I cherish.

Instead, I'll say my gripes with the game, especially with the remaster. How about that? Here we go.

• I hate forced camera angles, and they are overwhelmingly present in the tombs. It just ends up being a way of making me go in the wrong direction because my controls are flipped all of a sudden, instead of actually helping like it's supposed to.
  • The "Ezio syndrome", as I call it - which basically means you sometimes end up jumping or climbing to a completely different place than you meant to. You won't really notice it on regular gameplay, but on the races and tombs, it stands out. However, it isn't as bad as I remember it being.
  • They removed the Italian dub on the remaster. I wasn't gonna play with it anyway, but why remove the option?
  • No option to change the text language. I wanted to play it fully on English for the nostalgia, but nope. Portuguese translation isn't too bad, but there are some awkward things here and there, like "Fragment of Eden" instead of "Piece of Eden" and "Sangria Effect" instead of "Bleeding Effect".
  • Game really holds your hand sometimes. Missions with timers generally have much more time than you'll need, enemies attack one at a time, etc.
  • More hiccups than I remember there being on the original version. Shipyard mission bugged on me (to be fair, I hadn't played it originally to know if it was always this way, but still) and I had to restart the checkpoint, had a bug in which I had a target icon stuck to me until I went to another region, etc. Few, but there.
  • Lighting on this remaster is a bit wonky, so things look way brighter and saturated than they should. Desmond and Lucy's faces also look goofy, but you get used to it.
  • No manual save option. I mean, game gives you autosaves everywhere, but it would still be nice.

But, as you can see, those are mostly minor nitpicks. If you somehow haven't played this game after 11 years, I'd say go for it if you can, to at least give it a try. Next game will be AC: Brotherhood, which, ironically, I'd say is the better game... at least, from what I remember. We will see. 

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2020 at 10:16 AM, LancashireLad87 said:

Best of luck to you with your trophy goals, I hope to reach your completion rate at some point in the near future. Good luck with Batman: Arkham Asylum, such a great game! Shock and Awe Extreme was a pain in the arse to earn 3 medals on but if I can do it, I'm sure your young fingers will be fine!

Haha, thanks! I would aim for 100% completion (or as close as possible, anyway), but I don't have PS+ neither most DLCs for the games I own, lol.

I have actually played Arkham Asylum before, back on the PS3, so I know what to expect. Will be a fun challenge, that's for sure.

Edited by Eagle

On 12/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, THEULTRAMEMELORD said:

When are you going to plat Tomb Raider? You already have the single-player done and the online doesn't take long.

When I have PS+. Which is not now, as you can see, LOL.

Edited by Eagle

OK, this is a weird update, I know, but I just wanted to say I got the platinum for Watch Dogs 2. Thanks to the free multiplayer weekend, I finally managed to get the online trophies (which were the only ones remaining) out of my way. 

1Ld84aa2.png

Graduation Day

I already have a review for the single-player, so I will talk only about the multiplayer. It kinda sucks, in my opinion. To be more precise:

• First off, my biggest gripe: when I was trying to get the trophy for killing 5 bounty victims, I found out the game, for some reason which I could not fathom even if my life depended on it, counts Security Van events as bounties. So half the time I spent on that trophy was just because I was shoved into completely unrelated events and had to keep leaving them. Yay.
  • One of the kills I got didn't count because, according to the game, me using a grenade launcher to explode a boat is an accidental kill by the police. What even...
  • Speaking of which, why are Ubisoft games' grenade launchers so crap? Seriously. It has about as much range as a spit and as much power as a baby who just wet his diaper.
  • To compensate for the above, Ubisoft games' LMGs are so OP. The U100 just demolishes everybody.
  • Still on the subject of guns, just found out that apparently an automatic shotgun (ATSG-12) has about the same power as a pistol. Me and another dude started shooting each other at the same time and both died simultaneously.
  • The Sh0wd0wn trophy popped one win later than it should, so I had a mild heart attack for a moment.
  • Also, if you're reading this (probably not), props to you, Lil' Whip. You were a really good partner.
  • My internet connection isn't as bad as I thought it was. Had a few lags here and there, but overall really smooth.

I also got the co-op trophy for Far Cry 5, thanks to @PanBuk69. I had a NG+ save on Easy and they had the laser gun from the Mars DLC which is ridiculously OP, so completing 3 missions was like stealing candy from a baby (second baby analogy in a short post... well, I never said I had originality). Thanks again, dude. :)

Well, back to AC:B now... such a good game.

Edited by Eagle

• 1 month later...

Congrats for AC:B! Despite having its flaws, I think that's still my favorite game in the series :D As goofy as the parkour might be, traversing Rome will never NOT be fun.

Best of luck with AC:R too. It kinda is the weakest link, I didn't personally like it that much, but it's still a very solid game. The hookblade is strangely fun to use, climbing with it + that "click" sound feels good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2021 at 4:09 AM, Copanele said:

Congrats for AC:B! Despite having its flaws, I think that's still my favorite game in the series. As goofy as the parkour might be, traversing Rome will never not be fun.

Best of luck with AC:R too. It kinda is the weakest link (I personally didn't like it that much), but it's still a very solid game. The hookblade is strangely fun to use - climbing with it feels really good, especially with the "click" sound.

Thanks! Sorry for the late answer, BTW. I planned to answer this one before, but ended up forgetting as always.

My favorite game is (and I think will forever be) AC2, just because of the meaning it has to me. And yeah, AC:B has a few flaws here and there, but it's honestly amazing. I might be biased, but I do think it's one of the best games of all time, if we're talking about gameplay.

I'm liking AC:R thus far, but I'm noticing it doesn't have as much content as AC:B does. But gameplay's still really fun, and I feel the enemies are more competent this time around, which is always a plus.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, yet another game completed. Yes, it's been two months, but that's because moving out from my (now former) house really took a toll on my ability to play. However, now it's all set and ready to go, thus I've been finally able to finish this. Without further ado, let's get to the review, which will be structured in a slightly different manner, to try and make it cleaner for you guys and easier to organize my thoughts for me simultaneously.

Game #11 – Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Lcf8953.png

Story

So, I felt the story in this one was a step up from the previous game, but still not as good as the story in II. Namely, I thought the Templars still seemed too lazily done, with most of them still reduced to side missions and the few main ones being quickly killed off after their introduction. Especially the leader, which I'm not gonna spoil since it's technically a twist, but it's really dumb - Manuel talks about there being someone inside the Ottoman ranks which serves the Templars, so you're all like "Huh, who could it be? Wonder how we'll find out... oh, they just showed up, nevermind." They're the weakest villain by far, since you don't know their true allegiance until near the end, they barely show up even before that, puts up the least fight and is not nearly as menacing as Rodrigo or Cesare.

However, the more heroic characters, such as Sofia and Yusuf, are well-developed and likable... which is good, because, with the revamped cast, there wouldn't be anyone to fall back to in case they were lame. Ezio is already a developed character in this one, so there's not much change in his attitudes throughout the game unlike the previous ones, but he's still Ezio, so yeah. You don't need to ask much else of the guy.

You also get to play as Altaïr during some sections, which is very welcome, since you didn't really get to see what happened to him after AC1. As for present-day... yeah. Desmond's stuck in the Animus, and besides Clay popping up from time to time, there isn't much that happens until the end. No Shaun or Rebecca to interact with, which is certainly a negative.

Gameplay

The gameplay in this one is basically Brotherhood, but with a few new tricks and tweaks. Which is to say, top-notch, since it was already excellent, but these changes make it even better. Enemies are tougher and more unpredictable, there are more moves for Ezio both in combat and parkour, the addition of the bombs (even though I wish the game had you use them more, to stimulate creativity), etc. 

Secondary content

Now, this is the opposite of the story... better than II, but worse than in Brotherhood. There isn't nearly as much side content as in the latter, and I personally didn't find it as well-done either. But let's examine more closely - first, the bad:

• Secret locations (this game's equivalent to the Assassin tombs/lairs of Romulus) are now part of the main story, except for two, one of which is a DLC.
  • Piri's missions are merely tutorials on how to use the bombs.
  • Book missions only have you looking around for a few seconds to locate the books.
  • There are only three faction missions, and one's part of the main story. You also don't get to know who are the leaders or anything of the sort.
  • You only need to do den defense once for the tutorial (twice if you missed the trophy for doing it without the cannon), and then you can forget all about it as long as you remember to always lower your notoriety. It's a shame because I liked it, but yeah, certainly couldn't be arsed to have to go protect the hideout everytime there was issues.
  • Nothing nearly as grandiose as Leonardo's machines... you can hate the optional objectives all you want, but you can't deny the missions themselves were really fun.
  • Things such as assassination missions and VR trials were scrapped. Sure, they weren't anything revolutionary, but hey, it was more bang for your buck.
  • City restoration is also less prominent. Of course, it isn't the game's focus anymore and the map is smaller, so it makes sense, but still.

The good:

• Master Assassin missions (this game's equivalent to the Templar Agent missions) are much better. Yes, still sucks to have most Templars be one-time characters, but at least the missions are more unique and they actually have a conversation with Ezio when they die. Plus, you get to interact more with your recruits.
  • There are some unique recruitment missions as well, which is a nice touch. Small, yes, but I'll take what I can get.
  • I'm sure most people disagree with me, but I actually liked the Desmond sequences. Of course, could have used less clunky controls, but seeing Desmond's origins was really cool, and it was a nice break amidst the sequences.
  • 100% synchronization requirements are a bit more chill this time around. Doesn't really matter to me, but I know many people disliked them and some (like the bomber) did get a bit taxing, so yeah. Kudos.
  • Random events are also a cool addition, although there are only two varieties - carrying cargo or beating up some random Muhammad Ali wannabes.

Ambientation

They nailed it, as always. Constantinople feels just as great as Venice or Rome to wander about. Architecture, citizens... a very realistic experience, from what I've researched. Pretty standard for the series, but it never fails to amaze me nonetheless. Plus, Jesper Kyd does a marvelous job again with the soundtrack. Of course, he won't ever be able to surpass the masterpiece that was Ezio's Family (at least, in my eyes), but the music here is very epic and keeps you in the mood while keeping a distinctive Turkish style, true to the game's premise.

Technical aspects

Bugs were present, but in much lesser intensity than in the previous game. No crashes either - the worst thing I had was during one of the DLC memories, where a platform simply refused to move and forced me to restart the mission. Still took a photo of Ezio levitating in Cappadocia though, because why not?

llnCNRg.jpg

Walking is for losers.

DLC

The Lost Archive was basically more of the Desmond sequences, which made people dislike it a lot, but as I said, I enjoyed them, so I enjoyed TLA the same. Yes, I'll admit I cheesed "Impress Warren Vidic" with out-of-bounds, but, in my defense, I discovered the exploit by accident and I already had got to the last section legitimately, so I know I could have done it with a few more tries... but having to reset the memory each time I failed got boring quickly. River Styx is much easier and shorter, so I did it with no problemo (not that I could cheese it anyway).

I admit it would have sucked to pay for it, considering it's short, but it comes for free in the Ezio Collection and was fun for its duration, so I cannot complain.

Miscellaneous ramblings

What were they thinking with the credits? Like, seriously. Super-long, unskippable, nothing interesting happens during it and, to top it off... IT HAPPENS TWO TIMES. One for the base game, and one for the DLC.

Translation got really better, though. Apart from the established stains, like "Efeito Sangria," I barely noticed any mistakes, unlike the previous ones, where there seemed to be at least one grammar error per database entry.

What's the next stop in the flight?

Next game will be Resident Evil. Gonna be difficult because it's a survival horror (which is already difficult on its own, plus I suck at them), has less-than-ideal controls and requires various playthroughs with different requirements... but that's the fun.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 3

Eyy, got the final game in the Ezio trilogy!

Loved to read your review about it. I admit, I haven't enjoyed this game nearly as much as you did (actually it's pretty low on my ranking list) but it's a solid game nonetheless! 

Unfortunately with some minor exceptions, Templar villains only become goofier or more non-interesting the deeper you go in the story. Makes you wonder how are they such a force to be reckoned with, since one man can take them down like fleas....

Also wish I knew the Lost Archives Warren Vidic glitch...did it legit and it hurt a lot. Did NOT like that segment at all.

On 15/04/2021 at 3:01 AM, Copanele said:

Hey, you got the final game in the Ezio trilogy!

Loved to read your review about it. I admit, I haven't enjoyed this game nearly as much as you did (actually, it's pretty low on my tierlist), but it's a solid game nonetheless! 

Unfortunately, with some minor exceptions, Templar villains only become goofier or more non-interesting the deeper you go in the story. Makes you wonder how are they such a force to be reckoned with, since one man can take them down like fleas....

Also wish I knew about the Impress Warren Vidic glitch... did it legit and it hurt a lot. Didn't like that segment at all.

Hey, and thanks for commenting again! :) 

I did enjoy the game a lot, mostly because, gameplay-wise (which is the most important aspect for me), it follows the same formula as the two previous games, which I know many people hate, but I personally love. But indeed, Templars/Kosmos cultists/whatever do feel like they get increasingly more non-interesting. Oh well.

But keeping your comment in mind, I changed my terminology from "enjoyment" to "quality," because if we're talking enjoyment, it's very hard for me not to enjoy the games I play, so I believe "quality" justifies better the ratings, as if it is more of an objective view - of course, not that my standards for that are really high either. Had been thinking about it for some time, so decided to finally do it... it's only a slight terminology change, but eh.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, while I was attending my online classes due to this awful pandemic, I had a spontaneous thought... what if I find a game good looking at it from an objective point of view, but don't enjoy it? "Quality" doesn't make sense then, just as "enjoyment" didn't before, as I might like a game I find objectively bad. So, I changed terminology again to "rating," which is more neutral, to try and find a balance between these two. 

While I'm here, might as well talk about what I'm currently playing. I'm only at the beginning of my first playthrough, but I can already tell it's vastly different from what I'm used to in terms of gameplay... but I'm getting used to it, and slowly learning new tips and tricks. I like it, but I definitely have to be in a focused mindset in order to play well, which is why I'm not playing it as frequently as I'd want to (also because of school, but that's not the point). Let's see if my opinion changes when I get further into the game.

Edited by Eagle