Xbox Series X $499, release date Nov 10

warrervena

It seems like the release date and the price of Series X is live

Any thoughts?? What would be the best move for Sony??

I think the price is very attractive, and with the Series S been that cheap, Microsoft sure will have a lot of attention 

https://yt3.ggpht.com/Re5Yr6ii8O0zQf_nzs4u5x4zXpM4zSW07NRMwaG_HonUG41NchsEu60hZH5q2eFb5QrHB8d1B0xK=s600-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-nd

https://www.youtube.com/c/xbox/community

Edited by warrervena
add a link
  • Like 2

The Series S is definitely weaker than the Series X, though, so you're getting a lesser system for almost half the price. You also get no disc drive and a 512GB SSD (which is going to be less once the OS uses some of it). I'm not saying the PS5's SSD size is any better, because it isn't, but that it terribly small for an all-digital system. Also, if the "leak" about the Seagate 1TB SSD Expansion price holds true, you're looking at another $220 to upgrade the drive size. The other moves from Microsoft are definitely a step in the right direction, especially the payment plan thing (even if you're paying more than the actual price) and having EA Play as part of Game Pass is a great move, even if EA's games might not be your thing.

As for what Sony can do, well, the disc version of the PS5 can't be more than $500, IMO. If they want to take a bigger cut out of it, then they could go down to $450, but I think it will be $500. The version without a disc drive, if they want to stay competitive, should be $400. The good thing about the two versions of the PS5 is that appear to be the exact same, so you're not going to get a lesser version like with the Series S and X. The bigger point of contention will come from the launch games for the PS5, so we will have to wait and see what they are.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, warrervena said:

What would be the best move for Sony??

I'm going say wait until next week, when there's been a few news cycles for people to forget that the Xbox stuff was announced, then repeat the PS3 launch prices with a $499 discless PS5 (just like the 20gb PS3) and a $599 PS5 (just like the 60GB PS3).

Inventory is already going to be short. Making it cheaper isn't any better because it's still not going to be available for everyone. When inventory improves over the next year, they can do a price cut next holiday if they even need to, for those asking for things to be cheaper.

They should also announce the launch game lineup, and also a list of the PS4 games they already tested that will natively benefit from PS5 hardware boost mode without needing patches to show what someone with no gaming background can play right out of the gate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Inventory is already going to be short. Making it cheaper isn't any better because it's still not going to be available for everyone. When inventory improves over the next year, they can do a price cut next holiday if they even need to, for those asking for things to be cheaper.

I agree with this all the way. They're going to sell out regardless, so no need to price match. 

On the other hand, as someone who is lucky to have not been financially impacted by COVID-19 and will pre-order immediately, im hoping for $500 instead!

Also, there's no way Sony beats MS to market this time, not even by a week. November 10 is almost exactly two months from now, I can't imagine Sony will be able to get out quicker than that without making a lot of compromises/promises they can't keep.

Edited by yowzagabowza
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I can see where you’re coming from, but disagree for one reason: initial sales help snowball future sales. This is why Sony dominated as much as they did last gen (and why they couldn’t completely relent on cross-play). The multiplayer market is increasingly important, dominating game sales usually, and if MS get first mover advantage I guarantee they will suddenly change their cross play position. Sony want people to buy their console first and have friends waiting to follow.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1

Hopefully this means the PS5 will be at that price or lower, & at least now Sony doesn't have a reason to delay the price/date of the PS5. :P Congratulations, Sony! You won your game of chicken against Microsoft! ?

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

True, but it would make them look better, & it would kinda be a middle finger to Microsoft, which I'm sure they'd enjoy. ?

Edited by Masamune

59 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

initial sales help snowball future sales.

Initial sales will = sold out. You can't increase sold out by making it cheaper. The only thing that will help future sales will be more inventory. That's their constraint, not the price.

32 minutes ago, Masamune said:

True, but it would make them look better, & it would kinda be a middle finger to Microsoft

The middle finger to MS would be to say that MS's best offering is only equivalent to Sonys cheaper offering. But I'm not one who really believes people are choosing their consoles on prices. I don't actually believe there is a rivalry between MS and Sony. People, especially gamers, generally don't usually have $600 that can only be won by the option with the cheapest price. In reality it's the product that has the thing that solves what they want that they choose. Only the smallest fraction of gamers really want both but can only choose one, marketing and decision making doesn't worry about that demographic, especially at a product launch, when products will sell out regardless.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 4

I don't think Sony is going to go any lower than that with the price, because from what I've heard, the PS5 is a more expensive machine to produce because of the more advanced SSD. I said it in a different thread, but I reckon the all-digital PS5 will match Xbox Series X's price of $499. The disc version will be $549. I don't see there being a $100 difference between the two SKU's like some people are saying. The removal of the disc drive won't save anywhere near that much money, and while it's true Sony would recover their losses through digital sales, they would still be taking a pretty big risk. I also think Sony want to avoid the $599 price tag after what happened with PS3. Obviously $599 back then isn't worth what it is now, but it would still be bad optics for them.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Initial sales will = sold out. You can't increase sold out by making it cheaper. The only thing that will help future sales will be more inventory. That's their constraint, not the price.

Except an equal price means people might wait so they can be sure they can play the same games as their friends, and multiplayer games with them. A much higher price could mean they just settle for the competition.

33 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Except an equal price means people might wait so they can be sure they can play the same games as their friends, and multiplayer games with them. A much higher price could mean they just settle for the competition.

Those are the audience Sony should consider when deciding the launch price?

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I'm going say wait until next week, when there's been a few news cycles for people to forget that the Xbox stuff was announced, then repeat the PS3 launch prices with a $499 discless PS5 (just like the 20gb PS3) and a $599 PS5 (just like the 60GB PS3).

They should also announce the launch game lineup, and also a list of the PS4 games they already tested that will natively benefit from PS5 hardware boost mode without needing patches to show what someone with no gaming background can play right out of the gate.

I guess that's what will happen.

Sad because PS5 is already considerably weaker than Series X, Sony sticking to the same price tag would be the best for us.

But well, they are leading the current gen and people buy any shit with half baked plots they put "Only For Playstation" tag, gotta prepare my wallet for these 599, which will hurt a lot

Only reason ill pick up a XboxX at launch is if they announce Ryse 2, otherwise i'll just stick with PS5 simply because of the upcoming God of War. Can't think of any game that is coming to Xbox that is worth shilling out 500 bucks just to be able to play it,  while PS has a bunch.

I think that Sony has something else under their sleeves that they are waiting to announce and reveal. They are known to be competitive and want to gain marketshare, that's for sure. Exclusivity deals, marketing rights, and doubling down on taking next generation steps versus Microsoft's approach to their new consoles. Time will tell. I want to see services, features of the new UI, and quality of life changes. Come on, Sony, give it to me!

heres something that just popped in my head. imagine in a few years when ps5 disc drives start breaking and there is none on ebay to buy from spare parts. hopefully someone eventually makes a second party ps5 bluray. so far my ps4s have been good to me but i didnt put as much disc time on them as my ps3s. have had 2 or 3 blurays blow out on my ps3s from usage. 

42 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

It seems kinda X pensive.

hah i see what you did there

52 minutes ago, AffectatiousDonk said:

Did Sony release a price yet, I can’t hear anything over the sound of the PS4Pro fan, hopefully PS5 comes bundled with a baseball bat so you can beat it back down onto the shelf when it takes off.

lmao. as loud as the fan is that means its doing its job though and pushing the heat out. i do feel like mine is a mimick from prey waiting to launch at my face though. i always put a phone book or book under my consoles. gives them a little more breathing room

• Like 1