How does PSNProfiles fetch new trophy lists?

Was curious to know how new trophy lists are fetched. Surely it can't be a manual process so from where is this data sourced?

Is the data scraped from official sources (website, or API) or how is it gathered?

Found some info here but these look like unofficial APIs:

Anyone knowledgeable in this domain let me know please, I'm curious to see how this works.

• Like 2

Without saying too much, it is a manual-ish process, as there is no "official" API for PSN data. It's important to carefully manage how much traffic is sent to Sony's servers; too much, and they would be well within their rights to take down the entire interface. That's why there's an entire forum to request trophy updates; a bunch of small requests is less noticeable than a huge "give me all new games" request.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, talespagni said:

[unecessary post]

"Anyone knowledgeable in this domain let me know please"
I wasn't asking for someone to be funny, go do it on Discord or somewhere else.

One of the reasons I don't like posting here on the forums cause there's always someone like you that shows up and bloats a seriously asked question with nonsense..
I'd be happy if @DaivRules or some other mod can remove your post so other curious viewers don't need to scroll through your images.

8 minutes ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Without saying too much, it is a manual-ish process, as there is no "official" API for PSN data. It's important to carefully manage how much traffic is sent to Sony's servers; too much, and they would be well within their rights to take down the entire interface. That's why there's an entire forum to request trophy updates; a bunch of small requests is less noticeable than a huge "give me all new games" request.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm curious to know how this data is fetched though, but what you mentioned does make sense, wouldn't want Sony to pull that data from being scraped.

• Like 1

My PHP and Python are both rusty, but it looks like a pretty simple authenticated JSON API. When you log in as a PSN user, you get an authentication token, which you can use to make requests for friends, messages, trophies, etc. just like you would through a website or mobile app. People probably just logged into PSN directly, opened a network monitor, saw what requests were being made and what Sony's servers responded with, and wrapped it all into a library.

Whether PSNP is using one of the libraries you linked, or using their own, I have no idea. You'd have to ask Sly himself, and I'm sure he won't tell. :) 

• Like 1

You almost definitely won't get an official answer to this question -- this site and all other trophy sites are somewhat secretive about this. There is no official API, so getting this information auto-propagated is valuable work that the site admin had to figure out on their own, and thus they aren't likely to just give away to others for free.

A good starting point for scraping trophy information from Sony's servers (if that's what you want to do) is to trace your network traffic when you sync your trophies. That will tell you where your own trophy information is being retrieved from, and you can start parsing that data and improving from there. I made the now-defunct PSNtrophywiki this way, as well as a PS store scraper by monitoring web traffic while on the PS store.

10 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

Speaking of which, here is a Twitter bot that tracks everything uploaded to Sony's PSN servers.

https://twitter.com/psnrelease2

On another note, Gamstat's site tracks upcoming games before they've been release, https://gamstat.com/games/tracker/, so that's always nice to look at. 

• 1 year later...

From my own experience with this API: 

https://github.com/Tustin/psn-php

The developer can't get new trophy lists from it.

However, you can still get trophy lists if there is at least 1 player that has earned a trophy in the list.

If you decide to look further into the above API it may have other caveats.  For example, trying to retrieve the trophies for the user chalk_gaming is not possible but PSNProfiles and only one/two other trophy tracking sites are able to.

Edit:
Maybe the above API does work, but I'm just not well versed enough in it yet.

It looks like the API's developer mentioned a revision of providing information to the API to retrieve any trophy list.
https://github.com/Tustin/psn-php/issues/193

Edited by sweeping-lamp3