Hiyo's Multiple Lists

Hiyo_Rain

100% #21: Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest

S1a26c1.png

With this done, that makes all three of the World of Darkness VNs done! It was cool learning about the werewolf side of this universe, but the trophy list is soooooo boring. You have to play 5 whole runs to get all the different endings and classes, but barely any of the story changes aside from a handful of places. You can't skip, only speed up how fast the text appears, so it takes ages to get through a route. I'll play another one of these if they make more, but I would hope that they bring back the skipping they had in the Vampire ones to make it easier to get through. One cool thing, though, is I'm the second person to complete this list for the US version!

Edited by Hiyo_Rain
  • Like 1

Plat #82: 2064: Read Only Memories

S233fa1.png

This was a pretty interesting game. It doesn't run very smoothly though, so crash related issues are part of why it took me so long to actually finish it. But it had a very well written story that I was pretty invested in, and I loved the aesthetics and music. It's also set in the same universe as Va-11 Hall-A, which is another game I really loved. They're not super closely related, but you can see influences here and there between the two games.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

100% #22: Poltergeist: A Pixelated Horror

Sbbe367.png

Long time no see! I haven't played games much since my last update. I spent most of July exhausted due to a stressful change at work that (luckily) turned out to be only temporary, and then most of last month busy visiting friends who were moving away, celebrating several birthdays including my own, and going on a couple trips. But enough about me!

I'm pretty sure I got this game during one of the sales they had a couple months ago. I installed it right away intending to play it relatively soon, but as you can see from above... I didn't get to it right away! ? I spent some time today working through the whole trophy list, and it was fun! This is a puzzle game where you play as the ghost of a man from the 1800s intent on scaring anyone who dares try to live in his home away. There is a timed trophy, but it's not a super difficult series of puzzles, and there's also a detailed solution list over on playstationtrophies if you want to go about it that way. Honestly I'm surprised this game has such a low completion rate, because it's pretty easy and actually surprisingly funny!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aceterix said:

Happy birthday, another enjoyable post, this one I will keep an eye out for as games that manage to be funny are too few and far between!

I'm glad work stress has died down for you as we NEED more reviews... please.

Thank you!! :D

I'm glad to hear you still like my posts! I'm a bit of a game hopper so I don't finish games quickly very often, but I'll keep posting these as long as I stay interested in trophy hunting! And hopefully, that'll last for a long time ?

• Like 1

Plat #83: Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime

Sa9ba89.png

Another point and click puzzle game from the same makers as Scarlett Mysteries! I really enjoyed Scarlett Mysteries, so I did some research on the makers of that game and found out they have tons of games available on PS. Technically these are cheap plats, but at the same time, they remind me of my childhood. I used to play games like these as a kid (hell, maybe even from the same makers if they were around back then), sitting in my cousin's room using his old desktop computer while he played whatever fighting game he was interested in at the time on his PS2. So I'm definitely going to be playing more of these over time!

This one had a pretty cool story, you play a detective who wakes up with amnesia trapped in a room with a recently murdered corpse, and you have to try to get back your memories and figure out who the killer is. I love games where you get to investigate crimes, regardless of how that story element is approached, so I had to play this one as my next game from these devs. The "forensics" puzzles were atrocious, but the story was fun and that's the important part!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

100% #23: The Playroom

S8b192a.png

I finally got this one cleaned up! I got my hands on a PS camera a few months ago in trying to get myself the pieces of the VR, so I started this up. Now I've finally finished it up, thanks to my roommate helping me with the Shuriken Master trophy. Trying to use my tablet to get the mask trophy was a pain, though.

• Like 2

Plat #84: NCIS

S2ee4d2.png

I decided that since I played the CSI game, I should probably play this one too since it's also a game based on a TV show about fighting crime. I like this show much better than CSI, they don't focus on the forensics aspect of things so usually there's less for me to nitpick ? It's still not perfectly accurate, but it's less in your face about it (with the disclaimer that I know nothing about the military so I can't say if that part is usually accurate or not).

I had fun with this game! It was mostly a point and click style game, a few minigames here and there. Pretty straightforward. I was also super impressed that they got David McCallum himself to play Ducky like he does in the show! Hearing other actors with the characters' faces was jarring, so hearing the real Ducky was like music to my ears lmao! Plus, I like Ducky a lot, he's a great character. The story was pretty good too, it was interesting seeing how all the cases tied together in the end. Standard story for NCIS, but I think it was pretty well executed.

• Like 2

Plat #85: We Were Here

S258ae9.png

I've finally joined the club of everyone who did this when it was free for a little bit! I got this back then but had to wait a bit to play it, because the friend I wanted to play it with promised to help another friend of his first. Then we finally got the chance to do one run a couple months ago, but only just now managed to do the second run for the rest of the trophies. This was a pretty interesting puzzle game honestly, I'd be down to play the other games at some point eventually too.

• Like 2

Plat #86: Death Mark

S806798.png

This was such a good game! This game was kind of a Danganronpa style VN, where part of it was point and click and part of it was VN. The character designs were great, the art was gorgeous, the story was super interesting, the gameplay was fun during all of the showdowns, it was so good! It managed to give me some pretty serious creeps too, I had some weird dreams on the nights I played some of this right before bed. My only complaint is that for this Vita version list there aren't any trophies for the final chapter. I still played it, but I wish there had been trophies for it. But there are some in the PS4 version list, and I really loved this game, so I'll probably get the PS4 version and system stack it later on. It goes on sale often and now I know it's absolutely worth it, so eventually!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Plat #87: Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story

S039e29.png

Guess who's back! I spent all of last month really in an RPG mood, so I didn't complete a single game. I made lots of progress on those two RPGs I was playing though! But now I'm back with something to post. I don't expect to be able to post another game this month, as I'm in the middle of moving and it's also a busy season at my work. I just decided to take a break from all the cleaning and packing I've been doing to finish this game yesterday!

As for my opinion on the game! I really enjoyed this game, I wish the story was a little bit more talked through rather than you having to put things together yourself to understand why everything's happening, but otherwise I liked it a lot. It's very "classic horror game" which I really appreciated. I also liked all the references I spotted, and I'm sure there are more that I just didn't recognize. Just be careful to interact everything so you don't have to be doing a ridiculous amount of backtracking because you didn't trigger the progression marker that lets you pick up a necessary item. (Though partially my problem with that is the guide I was using when I got stuck was not complete and missed things, but it was the only one I could find that was text so I didn't have to sit through watching somebody else get stuck in a video.) I liked the lore and it was fun exploring the setting, I'd play another game like this any time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

100% #24: Home

S7308f2.png

Surprisingly, I'm back with another update this month! I realized that if I did the save scum method for the third ending, I'd have maybe an hour's worth left of work on this game. So, I went ahead and finished it up the other day while I was taking a break from unpacking!

So this game advertises itself as a "unique horror adventure", but in reality it's more of a walking sim with a slow build thriller type of story. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it is different than what I thought I was getting myself into. There's also not really much closure to the things you see while working your way toward home in the game, which did disappoint me a bit. A little would have been nice, but oh well. Overall, not a bad experience, and with how short a game it is even with multiple endings, it's worth the time even despite my couple little gripes.

• Like 1

Plat #88: Subnautica

Sba8d37.png

So here we have a game that's not my style at all. I'm not one much for survival builders, I get bored and frustrated scrounging for all the materials and there's not enough story happening most of the time to keep me interested. It was cool when I did find more story stuff, but this game just doesn't have what I need to like a game. I only got it because of when it was free for a little while, I wouldn't have bought it myself knowing I probably wouldn't like it. It would be a lot of fun if you do like those kind of games though, so don't let me turn you away from it if those kinds of games are your style!

• 2 weeks later...

Plat #89: Cinders

S9c991a.png

I'm on a roll compared to my last few months! :D

Here we have yet another indie VN for my collection. I picked this up during a sale a few months ago, it was pretty fun. It had some nice tweaks to its story compared to the standard Cinderella story. It got a bit repetitive going after all the endings for the plat, but at least it has a proper skip button unlike some of the other indie (or otherwise smaller scale) VNs I've finished in the past year. There's a really nice guide over on ps3imports if you're after a quick and easy plat, but as usual, I think it's worth actually reading through at least a couple endings!

• Like 1

Plat #90: Punch Line

Sfcc42d.png

So, this game wasn't what I expected going in. I finished it yesterday, while I was in my hometown visiting family and away from my laptop. The description when I stumbled across it on Amazon was a VN adventure game based on an anime where you as a ghost have to get your body back and prevent the end of the world. I had never heard of this anime and the blurb about the story that was there sounded interesting, so I got it for myself when I had some cash to spare. What I got when I started it was a Rube Goldberg-style puzzle game where 3D animations were recycled over and over and "cutscenes" were taken directly from the anime this is based on. And also, lots of panty shots and upskirt shots. It was obvious that this was a lazy cash grab in the hopes the people who watched it for the softcore erotic elements would drop the cash to get to experience it more directly. I'd never heard of this anime so I was shocked that it was apparently popular enough for a cash grab attempt, but the laziness had me questioning whether it was actually popular or if there was maybe just a couple rich fans who funded something somewhere to get this made. I don't know.

Honestly, I'm not even really sure what I think of this game. The puzzle elements were kinda fun at first, but they got boring and repetitive real quick. It was obvious how cheap a budget it was on with how much was taken directly from the anime (each chapter even included the opening and closing songs from the anime). The story was really interesting at first, but even outside the softcore erotic stuff it got weird fast. And the last third of the game you don't really do anything except click to advance dialogue and watch cutscenes, there's only a couple VN style choices after a certain point and no puzzle elements. I dunno, it was fun at first, but I definitely wasn't expecting what I ended up with story wise and it got super obvious really quick how lazy of a "game" this is. Oh well. At least I have a new plat!

• Like 1

Plat #91: Wytchwood

S7c5221.png

This is my best month in a long time, I'm so proud of myself!

My boyfriend introduced me to this game! He said there's a YouTuber he watches sometimes who plays lots of the types of indie games I like, and he was playing it one day when I went over to visit. It was fun watching him play, so I wanted to play it myself, and luckily here it is on PS! It was pretty cute, you play as a witch who lost her memories tasked with gathering the souls of those who wronged a mysterious sleeping maiden... You explore a few areas to gather supplies to craft potions and talismans of various kinds and trick the evildoers into undoing themselves so you can collect the souls! I liked the ending, though I had a hunch it would play out the way it did. I wish it would have explained a bit more about how exactly the evildoers wronged the maiden specifically, but it didn't hesitate in showing just how awful they all were in general. My only complaint is that it did get a bit tedious gathering supplies, because they're usually limited in each spawn in. And with the whole game being tons of fetch quests basically, I did get a little bored running back and forth over and over and over again. But I really did enjoy the story, and it was fun reading about things you could make.

I'm also the 14th person to get plat in this game, which is pretty cool!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Plat #92: Chicken Police

S87bbef.png

Me and my investigation games. This one was a combination VN/point-and-click type game, with an occasional little minigame thrown in. The story was a classic film noir type story, complete with some of the standard cliches and everything. With the stylistic twist that everyone is an animal. But I think it was still well executed despite being cliche, and I honestly think they did a good job poking fun at the fact that it was so cliche. Even though it was funny that everyone was animals, I was still able to take the story seriously despite the cliche, so I was impressed with the writing. I was seriously enjoying this game for most of it, even though I made a mistake that locked me out from one trophy. But the other trophy I needed a second playthrough for...

If you decide to play this game for yourself, DO NOT follow the guides out there for the interrogations! From some other posters I've seen on a couple forums, apparently the answers were changed to the interrogations after a recent update and you will be LOCKED OUT of the trophy for all living legend rated interrogations! That's what happened to me, and I was so mad! There's a list of correct answers in a forum post on TrueAchievements, use that for the interrogations and otherwise you're fine with the step by step guides out there. It sucks having to replay just for that, because the last interrogation is at the very end of the game! And even if you skip as quickly as possible, it still will probably take an hour to get through it again. It did for me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Plat #93: Control

Sa88bbe.png

It's been a long time since I've completed a big AAA game like this! I know this is one of the easier AAA games out there, but I'm proud of myself for going back to finishing one when it's been so long. It's been so long that I don't think I've ever posted one since I started this little list of mine, a few bigger name games and games with higher budgets, but no actual AAA games.

I really loved this game, all the abilities were super cool and the concept really reminded me of the book House of Leaves. If you aren't familiar with it, just Google some page spreads and you'll get an idea of why this game reminded me of it. As much as it pissed me off in a few spots (I needed to get good and was frustrated I wasn't getting good enough lmaooooo), I had a ton of fun playing it. I think it deserves all the recognition it got! And if the devs ever decide to make a sequel of some sorts, I'll happily dive right in.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Plat #94: Amnesia: Memories

S6e28a5.png

Hey guys! Long time no see! I've been going through a lot lately, not tons of gaming getting done. I did finish this game! I actually finished it back in early April, but my apartment has been in a state of chaos since March because of some of the stuff I was going through. I don't want to get into details, but basically, the main reason I didn't post this is because I had to pack up my apartment and protect all my stuff because the management company didn't do everything they were supposed to do. I had my vita with me still, but my laptop was packed up. For the past month or so I've been slowly putting stuff back together. There was other stuff going on too, which delayed my wanting to get stuff done. I've finally gotten my laptop set up though, so I can post this update! It would be nice if I could do this on my tablet, but it won't let me copy/paste photos.

Another otome visual novel. This one had some weird plot twists in some of the routes, I knew there were memes about this game because of how weird a couple of them would be but it was more than I was expecting! I liked some of the routes but wasn't a big fan of some of the others. Pretty standard for an otome, especially being one of the older ones.

Unrelated, but I'm getting close to finishing another game! Hopefully I will soon and I'll be able to post it before much longer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Plat #95: Spirit Hunter: NG

Sdafb2b.png

Finally back again! I was going through a lot last week and needed something to distract me more successfully than I had managed by myself otherwise. I asked some of my gaming friends to pick a game for me to play to do that, and they suggested this one out of the small list I gave them. They said a brand new game would be a nice distraction, better than going back to something I had been working on in the past, and that this would probably be a good choice because it's a visual novel and I've been in the mood to read more than I have game lately. Well, they were right! This is the fastest I've finished a game in a long time.

I loved this game, it's a sequel to Death Mark which I previously played. It's got all the same elements I loved about the first game, but with brand new characters, a new story, and new ghosts! I loved all the subtle nods to the first game, tiny references that you could potentially miss if you aren't paying close enough attention. This game was so good! I'm planning on system stacking Death Mark already, but I just might have to do it sooner rather than later because of how good this sequel was.

• Like 3

Plat #96: South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Sd5100d.png

I'm back with another update only a week later, it's a miracle!

So my boyfriend lent me his PS4 Pro so that I would be able to play my copy of Cyberpunk. He also said to help myself to any games in his collection that sounded interesting. He said this game was funny and actually a pretty good turn based RPG, so I decided to go ahead and try it at his recommendation. And he was right! I was impressed with the RPG elements, and yeah, it's crude humor, but what do you expect from South Park? I watch it with him sometimes so I knew what I was getting into. Pretty standard story by their standards, but it is pretty funny all things considered. This was actually just what I needed, I've been in a bit of a gaming funk for a while so getting into an easier RPG was the perfect thing to get me back to gaming. I don't think I'll game as much as I used to still, but now I'm more motivated to again. I actually want to try the other South Park game now too, but we can't find his old copy of that so I'm going to have to wait a while to play it. Money's tight, so I can't afford to buy a copy right now. But someday I'll give it a go!

• Like 3

Plat #97: Pumpkin Jack

S00b78d.png

Two plats in two days! Who am I?

So I got this plat yesterday, just didn't post it right away. I'm so glad to finally have this out of my backlog! I love Halloween, so when I stumbled across this game, I got excited. I knew going in that it was an action platformer, which I tend to not like very much because I'm bad at them. I expected some frustration with it because of that, but I love Halloween so I wanted to try it anyway. But I was so disappointed with this game. I liked the story and the art style, but it just felt so clunky. So many hitboxes were bigger than the items I was trying to platform onto, so I would end up falling to my death a lot more than I would have. And it was typical old action platformer styled boss fights, but they were a lot more tough than I felt necessary in most cases. There were puzzles and short rail sequences in each chapter, and they didn't feel very well executed. The puzzles often required specific timing and aim, which didn't feel very smooth, and the rail sequences were frustrating because it was hard to see where you were going and could just die without even realizing you hit something. There was also, in most chapters, a sequence where you're being ferried down rivers by Charon, except you can't make anything easy, so you had to jump as the boat would do flips and platform around obstacles the ghost boat would just pass through and fight stuff while also trying not to die because of course any touch of water is instant death. And there's a death counter! I think it was intended to be a tongue in cheek tease kind of thing, but when you're not very good at these kinds of games, it can be frustrating watching your death toll go up by 20 in one small section of a single chapter or because of a single boss fight (yes, both happened to me).

Anyway, to stop my complaints, I really did like the idea of this game, and I'm happy for the developer that he got to make his dream come true. I'm just disappointed in the execution of it.

• Like 1