Time Gating/Faction Rank Needs Change

MrPhrips

I think the time gating and faction rank in this game should be taken away, or given purpose. It's useless as of now.

It feels like Crystal Dynamics wants to adopt a subscription based model for a game that doesn't have a subscription to it. Was that the original plan?

Similar to games like World of Warcraft, we have factions with reputation grinds and rewards, limited daily quests, and so on. But in subscription games they limit your ability to rank up so that you continue to pay money to play and come back time and time again and extend your subscription. Or games will limit your timed gameplay so you pay for more attempts in games like Candy Crush. They have carrots on a stick to get more money from you.

Marvel's Avengers has no subscription service and has no need for these cheap tactics. They make money off the base purchase of the game, and the in-game store that sells (boring) cosmetic only items. Limiting access to gameplay in this game is only detrimental and will cause people to stop playing and stop coming back. I think it's a fun game and would like to keep playing and feeling like I can advance when I play, but once I'm done with my timed challenges and dailies there's less incentive to continue.

Unlike subscription MMOs our factions don't serve a purpose.

They offer randomized gear that's constantly changing. Most the time it's only a minimal upgrade in power level and even that's not worth the resources to purchase them. There's no item you need from a faction to unlock a Hive mission or artifact. There's no best in slot item they offer. They don't offer a major artifact (don't get me started on those and the time gated resources to upgrade them). There's no incentive to want to level up one faction over the other. It's busy work for the sake of busy work. Cheap padding just so they can say they have "factions."

Yes each type of gear CAN offer different perks (Pym gear doesn't always spray Pym particles) but there's nothing consistent about them either. If anything faction vendors should offer tokens to add bonuses to gear you already have if anything. You should buy a token that allows gear to spray Pym particles, or adds a cryo buff, or boosts damage, etc. But needing to be rank 1-50 to buy randomized items makes no sense when it's constantly changing and isn't any better than gear you find when playing the game. Randomized loot drops serves less of a reason to farm levels or bosses as well.

Even as I type this out I'm just so confused as to why this game is the way it is. You could easily make an argument that "if factions don't have any impact" why does it matter it's time gated or there's ranks to them? Personally, I played the whole campaign and more and only bought one item from a vendor. It's like they felt pressured to add factions and time gating because MMORPGS have factions, rep grinds, time gaiting, and daily quests, so they have to put that in the game... But limiting gameplay for a non-subscription game is a horrible idea.

They should fix them and give them purpose, or just take them out completely.

Marvel's Avengers has to be the least consistent and most confusing game I've played in awhile.

Edited by MrPhrips

30 minutes ago, MrPhrips said:

I think the time gating and faction rank in this game should be taken away, or given purpose. It's useless as of now.

It feels like Crystal Dynamics wants to adopt a subscription based model for a game that doesn't have a subscription to it. Was that the original plan?

Welcome to GAAS!!!

Everyone knew this would be the game from the start, they never hid that fact, we knew months ago it was a GAAS and a Loot Grinder.

Factions have a massive purpose in future patches, theyve been very clear about this also.

8 hours ago, SpacebarPIays said:

Welcome to GAAS!!!

Everyone knew this would be the game from the start, they never hid that fact, we knew months ago it was a GAAS and a Loot Grinder.

Factions have a massive purpose in future patches, theyve been very clear about this also.

Yeah they never said anything other than they'd have an in-game shop for cosmetic only items that wouldn't affect gameplay. According to your logic Fall Guys is just as much of a GAAS as this. Only Fall Guys doesn't limit how many crowns you can earn a day and let you purchase trash gear you can find the equal or better to playing the game.

Just because it's pitched as a GAAS doesn't give them a pass when releasing a half finished product as far as factions and time gating go. As of now they're all stick and no carrot. Can you tell me when the future patch is coming that will fully complete this horrible set up? They can't even fix what's already buggy and broken with what was released. Let alone future content that's going to be just as buggy.

All of this should have been fixed or taken out during the "beta" version of this game last month. Which lets be honest it wasn't a beta where they would have had time to fix problems. It was done to help boost pre-sales numbers and build buzz which kind of backfired with their rushed game.

I just dont think you paid any attention to this game whilst it was in development TBH.

Everything youre talking about, was brought up in 'War Table' streams and discussions longgggggggggg before the game was released.

Factions and Time-Gating make complete sense when you know what the future for the game is, its been explained already and most people are excited for that.

You are going to need them Faction levels for faction-specific end-game content (Think Raids in MMOs), so get grinding! :)

They're already fixing bugs and content. 4 patches in a week, with the biggest patch coming this week that should hopefully fix everything else.

Unfortunately with games like this, bugs are always going to be a problem. They cant afford to pay millions of people to do QA and stuff like this falls through the gaps when you dont have the numbers to stress test before release.

They actually fixed a hell of a lot of stuff from feedback from beta. I know of at least 5-6 bugs that i encountered in the Beta that arent in the release game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpacebarPIays said:

Factions and Time-Gating make complete sense when you know what the future for the game is, its been explained already and most people are excited for that.

You are going to need them Faction levels for faction-specific end-game content (Think Raids in MMOs), so get grinding! :)

Unfortunately with games like this, bugs are always going to be a problem. They cant afford to pay millions of people to do QA and stuff like this falls through the gaps when you dont have the numbers to stress test before release.

They actually fixed a hell of a lot of stuff from feedback from beta. I know of at least 5-6 bugs that i encountered in the Beta that arent in the release game.

Features that will be working in the future doesn't give them a pass to be horrible in the present. It should have been released in full when it was ready, or release them now without the restraints to gameplay since they're meaningless and limits gameplay in a non-competitive game that doesn't have a subscription based model.

You keep making excuses for why the game isn't working and making very broad general statements. Their Beta should have been the stress test months before, not a few weeks before the game came out. It's a rushed game and I enjoy it, but I can say when a game is rushed and has broken features even if it ends up perfect later like No Mans Sky, I wont call it great today. Factions and Time Gating serve no purpose TODAY, and should be changed to improve gameplay, or taken out until they're ready.

4 hours ago, Neme-ita said:

When you finish the task is a waste of time wait 20 hours for another 8 tasks, if you complete 8 task they need to put a fresh task every damn time

Someone understands. I completely agree with this.

• Like 1