Why do a lot of players try to hack the trophies?

stealthlevel100

10 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

well this thread is going to be closed down quick

since your new, you cant name and shame. i dont know why but thats just how it is

as for hacking, even though this thread is prob going to be deleted by admins. when i was 14 i learned html and visual basic coding which i then branched off of that to learn more things. as a kid to me it was a challenge using and making programs to take shortcuts. i quit doing that after a virus i made reversed itself and killed my computer in my early 20s and i couldnt afford a new one and i lost everything. but now im 40 and ive built such legit profile i wouldnt risk it. but i would think if your young and new and have nothing to lose, they prob think they arent going to get caught

Thanks for ur reply. I've edited my post and removed their psn names. I thought it was okay to mention gamertags like in this thread:

but i guess that thread is old and the rules may have changed. Ok I'll definitely not mention psn ids in the future. And yes i agree with u, they probably thought they won't be caught and if they got caught they have nothing to lose.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stealthlevel100 said:

Thanks for ur reply. I've edited my post and removed their psn names. I thought it was okay to mention gamertags like in this thread:

but i guess that thread is old and the rules may have changed. Ok I'll definitely not mention psn ids in the future. And yes i agree with u, they probably thought they won't be caught and if they got caught they have nothing to lose.

no problem, best thing to do is just send the names to a admin and report them. ive done the same thing twice and named names so it happens to all of us. i just did it like 2 or 3 weeks ago lol. it is frusterating though when you sit here and earn things legit and then see someone just skate by with no consequences and you cant even call them out for it. but i love the site and im sure they have their reasons and they seem to handle the cheaters pretty good. the guy in the thread you mentioned did it in a round about way without saying the actual user tag so im guessing thats why its up maybe. 

• Like 2

I'll input a couple things too. First that hours to beat a game is sometimes negligible when viewing a guide. There's always going to be people that can do a game quicker (or slower) then the suggested hours a guide maker puts. Infact you have to remember that some guide makers may have been of the first persons to work on a game before there was methods found to make it easier for exmaple. There also is alot of cases of hunters that played a game previously on Xbox and PC coming to PSN to complete a game here. These players may have had months or even a couple years of active play in that game before making the jump here to complete the trophies. (Look at the completions for Cuphead for example.)

Second a smaller detail but out of order trophies doesn't always mean they hacked. While it may be a bit more obvious in this case. You'll find some games poorly coded that trophy unlocks don't always register when their suppose to. Or sometimes due to PS4 errors that have existed since Day1 they also may be popped out of order. You can still report them using he function if you want but this situation doesn't always mean a person hacked.

• Like 2

auto popping trophies can be a bit misleading as well. i just finished generation zero, and added a bunch of tips in the forums for it. it seems as if nobody knows about that game at all and nobody is talking about it other then "this game is the worse ever". it had 1 co op trophy so i had to load my alt up, to my surprise all these trophies started popping on my alt because on my main i had the trophies. this was not mentioned anywhere because the game isnt really talked about anywhere. i usually never sync my alts because i dont care about them but if they sync auto or something people might look at that list and be like how the heck did that person get 8 trophies in a row at almost the exact same time. so i made a thread about it to raise awareness that it happens so peoples games dont get ruined. and im a bit late but i just heard cod world at war has hackers who autopop your trophies. which is a game i played nearly 10 years ago and almost finished but didnt. i dont wanna go back and get autopopped by a hacker. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

There are achievement unlockers on PS3, VITA and PS4. You can make custom name stamps and whatever else. There's also save editors on both Vita, ps3 and ps4.

That's why you shouldn't pay attention to what others do and just focus on your gameplay.

The only Sony system that doesn't have a trophy unlocker and cheats is PS5.

Any PS5 games that are unlocked are legit and that is why I only look at the PS5 Leaderboard now.

Edited by Dan-lives-here
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

There are achievement unlockers on PS3, VITA and PS4. You can make custom name stamps and whatever else. There's also save editors on both Vita, ps3 and ps4.

I thought PS4 was still unhackable when it came to faking trophies. Not anymore?

3 minutes ago, JoocyMan said:

I thought PS4 was still unhackable when it came to faking trophies. Not anymore?

Hasn't been for awhile.

If the wrong people ever get their hands on a PS5 devkit then consider it hacked as well. IDK why Sony has such sloppy security on with their hardware. Hopefully PS5 is the generation that won't be cracked.

Xbox has been locked down since the xbox 360.

Edited by Dan-lives-here

1 hour ago, Dan-lives-here said:

That's why you shouldn't pay attention to what others do and just focus on your gameplay.

The only Sony system that doesn't have a trophy unlocker and cheats is PS5.

Any PS5 games that are unlocked are legit and that is why I only look at the PS5 Leaderboard now.

unfortunately you are wrong, I've seen a case of many platinum hacked on ps5 (the guy had more than 8 thousand platinum but I'm not sure of the number, but I remember it was a very high number and when I saw the games there were a lot of ps5 games also; I highly doubt that a hacker will legitimately obtain these ps5 trophies if all others are not legitimate)

1 minute ago, kevao97 said:

unfortunately you are wrong, I've seen a case of many platinum hacked on ps5 (the guy had more than 8 thousand platinum but I'm not sure of the number, but I remember it was a very high number and when I saw the games there were a lot of ps5 games also; I highly doubt that a hacker will legitimately obtain these ps5 trophies if all others are not legitimate)

Id imagine (being a technological amateur, it is just conjecture, I grant you, but) there is probably multiple ways of hacking trophies.

The most common is clearly via custom firmware on the console itself - and in that manner, it probably is too early in the life of the PS5 for it to have been cracked.

However, the trophy system is essentially a server-side database, so one has to imagine there would also be methods of just hacking directly into that database, without even accessing or using any console.

Just using a PC and manipulating the data on the server.

In that case, I doubt it would matter which console a trophy was for - that might be less common or more difficult, but there are some smart people out there, and any system made by humans, can be cracked by humans.

I would think it would just be a case of changing a bunch of data on a computer.

25 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Show me someone on PSNprofiles with hacked Demon Soul or othe exclusive titles  and I will Paypal you $300. It doesn't exist. 

What you may be seeing is someone converting a hacked save from PS4 or cross save auto pops but there are no trophy unlockers, save editors on PS5 and its exclusive titles. I don't even believe anyone is manipulating server side pops. (this would require a huge amount of expertise)

Edited by Dan-lives-here

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Id imagine (being a technological amateur, it is just conjecture, I grant you, but) there is probably multiple ways of hacking trophies.

The most common is clearly via custom firmware on the console itself - and in that manner, it probably is too early in the life of the PS5 for it to have been cracked.

However, the trophy system is essentially a server-side database, so one has to imagine there would also be methods of just hacking directly into that database, without even accessing or using any console.

Just using a PC and manipulating the data on the server.

In that case, I doubt it would matter which console a trophy was for - that might be less common or more difficult, but there are some smart people out there, and any system made by humans, can be cracked by humans.

I would think it would just be a case of changing a bunch of data on a computer.

Exactly. I thought about all of this but in a simple and lay way, you explained the technical part. basically they should do this, because in a way the system is shared.

5 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

Show me someone on PSNprofiles with hacked Demon Soul or othe exclusive titles  and I will Paypal you $300. It doesn't exist. 

I don't think @kevao97 was referring to PSNProfiles specifically - any account with a lot of obviously hacked trophies gets automatically banned and booted from the site anyways AFAIK.

I think he was referring to profiles in general - across all of PSN

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't think @kevao97 was referring to PSNProfiles specifically - any account with a lot of obviously hacked trophies gets automatically banned and booted from the site anyways AFAIK.

I think he was referring to profiles in general - across all of PSN

I dont believe he's seen any accounts with hacked PS5 trophies. Period.  As far as im aware there's no way to search for PSN profiles on the console and I think you can get delisted from the leaderboards but the profile would still exist on the website. 

Edited by Dan-lives-here

26 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

I dont believe he's seen any accounts with hacked PS5 trophies. Period.  As far as im aware there's no way to search for PSN profiles on the console and I think you can get delisted from the leaderboards but the profile would still exist on the website. 

Well, okay :dunno: that's up to you, really.

Like I said in my post, my theory is just that, based on conjecture....

...and on the knowledge that there was a time in the life of everything that is possible, when some people said it wasn't.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

you can search for psn's on the console, and on PSN Profiles obviously cheating profiles are removed from the site (not from the leaderboard, from the site itself). this is funny because I remember a very old time when the site was full of cheaters, I remember that when I came to the leaderboards I was disgusted with so much disorganization and that was why I boycotted this site. Glad they fixed this up over the years.

@DrBloodmoney Is pretty correct where they were headed with this. All trophy data (PS3, Vita, PS4 and PS5) are all kept on a singular server it's why you can update and see all trophies in the first place on each system. As

s they are all connected to the same server.

Furthermore I wouldn't say the PS5 is "hacker proof". Server manipulation (usually through packet injections) is one way but I doubt one would pull this off without the account getting banned after.

Modified/hacked save files though could have potentially already been used  and would be very hard to track. Basically alot of games that have PS5 upgrades also support save transfers from PS4 add in too that these PS5 upgrades also usually auto-pop trophies when first played. It's not out of the realm of possibility people have already used modified PS4 saves to unlock trophies on PS5.

That's because these "hacked saves" aren't quite the god mode hacks, like infinite HP or one hit kill attacks that people typically assume. They could be more realistic as just making a character close to max level (ie level 90 out of 99) or giving a large starting amount of gold.

The thing is typically these saves are held on the system itself so it's not like they run through any verification it beside checking the numbers and values are correct for what it should be. And if they weren't it would either not load the save because it would see it as corrupted or if it did load the save it may cause issues in gameplay.

Besides anyways Sony doesn't have like a master list of every game and their saves/values. Even if someone uploaded a "hacked save" to the cloud and downloaded it to the PS5 as long as the save still shown as authenticated they would never know if it was hacked or real. There's a reason why save trading has been everywhere online for almost over a couple decades now. Even for consoles.

The same shit happens on Super Meat Boy. A lot of cheaters for that game, a few of which tried to make a Dispute here on the PSNP forums. And it never goes anywhere. Mostly hackers on the PS Vita who edit their timestamps and pop all the trophies in the games they have.

Generally, the hackers will hack a lot of different games, not just Crypt of the Necrodancer and Super Meat Boy. And as such, they're automatically banned from the leaderboards. Honestly, I think writing these textbook responses of what constitutes "hacking" and "not hacking" is utterly pointless.

We've been trophy hunting for years now to the point where we generally call out these hackers as we see them. It's just another day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Like any other bad » things / behavior, I do believe they are hacking trophies unlocking for a purpose, whatever the purpose is.

The good thing is these cheaters are identified and removed from the leaderboards. It keeps things clean as much as possible.

For example, I noticed this account recently.

https://psnprofiles.com/SetSunAvc

Difficult to report for most of games as the unlock orders are pretty clean, the games are not completed under impossible timing. But it looks obvious to me these account shall be banned from leaderboard for few reasons

- plenty of game have the exact same completion time (« 4 days, ~20hours »).

- For Crypt of the Necrodancer, he obtained the platinum before the official game release date and in only 4 days. But the DLC have been completed in 2020 so it displays 5 years as overall completion time.

I don’t own the game so I can’t report him myself but you can do it if you have the report button activated.

On 3/23/2021 at 3:37 AM, Dan-lives-here said:

What you may be seeing is someone converting a hacked save from PS4 or cross save auto pops but there are no trophy unlockers, save editors on PS5 and its exclusive titles. I don't even believe anyone is manipulating server side pops. (this would require a huge amount of expertise)

I can show you someone's PS5 list that will eventually be flagged. It's a game that can import / autopop progress, though. 

Deal?

Edited by B1rvine

42 minutes ago, DEXdotEXE said:

now the big thing, would both be flagable or just the ps4 version? 1f914.png

The way the rules are built pushes to consider games one by one, and not as an overall suspicious behavior. This is the reason why I find really tricky to report account like the one I linked earlier, as the game by game lists seem to be pretty clean and legit.

So, as a first approach, I would say, no, the PS5 version is not flagable as the trophies popped on a legit way.

But, with the overall account perspective, I would say it should be flagable if, for examples:

- the ps4 version is proven to be not legit

- the ps4 version has not been done at all and the PS5 instant platinum comes from nowhere (unless there is some ingame account link stuff separate from PSN account itself).