I feel bad for starting games and not finishing them

lewy_your_pic

I’ve been looking through my trophy list and feel like I should be going back to some games like god of war but I feel like it’ll be more of a stress to go back and re-trace what I need to do or what I have missed. Is this something worth doing for most games if I do give up at a certain time? Or do I just face the fact that I won’t get them

I get what you're saying, but I might feel worse about spending countless hours on games beyond an initial playthrough just to get that 100%... Just finished Prey, for example, which I enjoyed, but am not actually keen on playing through it a second time in order to get the platinum...

It all depends on the game. Great games like Persona 5, Yakzua 0, Nier and Bloodborne for example are great games to go back to and get everything out of it. Then there's games that are quite good but going for 100% is more a chore than it being fun. Red Dead 2 is a good example of that. Yakuza could fall in there too as it does get a bit tedious near the end.

If you enjoyed a game you haven't finished, then sure, go back and replay the game. If not, it's not that big of a deal. I started to enjoy gaming more since I dropped the idea that I should 100% every game that I start. That way I also missed quite a few good games I didn't want to start because I wouldn't get all the trophies (such as some games in the Yakuza series). Now I might start a game, try it for a couple of hours, decide it is not for me, and move on. Yeah, your list might grow to contain games you haven't finished or hardy played, but you also might find games you wouldn't have tried otherwise.

I also agree about what The_UW_98 said, some games aren't just worth the effort (like Red Dead 2, I did 100% it, but grinding the last hours for different animals and such wasn't gaming anymore, it was doing chores... in hindsight, I should've used those hours playing another game).

Pick out a few games on your list that you really enjoyed and go from there, presuming you still own them. I had a quick look through especially towards the bottom, and I see you play a bit of Call of Duty? World at War’s multiplayer trophies are still obtainable and MW3’s list as a whole is all quite straightforward. 

You can still even gather up all of Red Dead Redemptions trophies to this day. 

As for God of War, that has some of the best collectible tracking I’ve personally experienced in a game, and nothing is missable, you can choose in which order and area to go as you please. Plus some of the most fun and challenge in that game comes from defeating the Nine Valkyries.

If you’re unsure where to begin, search for a guide to follow, there’s so much information out there that can help you along the way! 

45 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

I’ve been looking through my trophy list and feel like I should be going back to some games like god of war but I feel like it’ll be more of a stress to go back and re-trace what I need to do or what I have missed. Is this something worth doing for most games if I do give up at a certain time? Or do I just face the fact that I won’t get them

Just aim for finishing games and forget trophies play more on the games you are enjoying if a game bores you quit it. If trophies overtake your gaming experience just buy less.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lewy_your_pic said:

I feel like it’ll be more of a stress to go back and re-trace what I need to do or what I have missed.

Is this something worth doing for most games if I do give up at a certain time? Or do I just face the fact that I won’t get them

The number of times I’ve jumped back into games, years down the road, and thought “I have no idea what the controls are or what I was doing”, is far too many. 

Generally, what I’ll do is start the game from scratch again and if that’s doesn’t jog my memory or get me excited to pick back up my save in the first hour, it goes back on my shelf

for another day.

This has helped me get back to several titles I’m glad I went back to. I can’t say it will

be worth it for most games, but it’s only an hour and if it gets you can I go at least one, it was worth it. 

• Like 2

To me there's a difference between "finishing" a game and "completing" them. Finishing is just completing the main story. Completing means getting 100% trophy completion. 

If I don't finish a game, it means I didn't like it and I'll probably hide the trophy list and forget the game existed (I have 600 hidden trophies from such games). My eventual goal is to have a roughly 80% completion rate of those games I enjoyed. I'm around 79% at the moment.

Don't sweat not going back and replaying old uncompleted or unfinished games if you didn't like them. Life's too short to spend on games you dislike.

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

The number of times I’ve jumped back into games, years down the road, and thought “I have no idea what the controls are or what I was doing”, is far too many. 

Generally, what I’ll do is start the game from scratch again and if that’s doesn’t jog my memory or get me excited to pick back up my save in the first hour, it goes back on my shelf

for another day.

This has helped me get back to several titles I’m glad I went back to. I can’t say it will

be worth it for most games, but it’s only an hour and if it gets you can I go at least one, it was worth it. 

This is how I get back into my shelved/unfinished games as well. It's just easier to do than trying to remember where you were in a lot of games, especially ones like RDR2 where there is so much to keep track of.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, darkrequiem7 said:

To me there's a difference between "finishing" a game and "completing" them. Finishing is just completing the main story. Completing means getting 100% trophy completion.

Makes me wonder how you treat games that lack a story like puzzle games or games where you have multiple short story modes and no one main story like fighting games.

16 hours ago, lewy_your_pic said:

Is this something worth doing for most games if I do give up at a certain time?

That really in the end is up to you and what you feel is worth your time and effort.  To some it isn't worth going back to a game you didn't enjoy, to others they would go back to any game because it's worth it to complete any game they earned trophies in.  Feeling bad for not completing or finishing a game is a feeling that many get and it is what separates a more casual trophy hunter from a completionist, but there is nothing wrong with either as long as you're having fun.  There are definitely people here who find the joy in finishing a game to be as enjoyable or more enjoyable than the joy that can come from the game itself and makes it worth it to complete even not so great games.  If you're that sort of person, then yeah it can be worth it to go back and get that enjoyment and satisfaction.  Sometimes games you go back to later end up being more enjoyable than you thought they would be as well since many good games tend to shine more towards the end of the game than the beginning.

On it's own, I don't feel bad for starting games and not finishing them...

But I do feel bad for the number of games I have backlogged now that I now don't feel it necessary to go back to, because I've gotten far enough in most of them to feel like the magic is gone a little bit and any time spent starting over and re-trying to get back into them will be somewhere between redundant, boring, and a lengthy reminder of why I stopped before.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Makes me wonder how you treat games that lack a story like puzzle games or games where you have multiple short story modes and no one main story like fighting games.

I guess most of the games I play are more story-driven, and the puzzle/fighting games I like the most have stories like Portal 2 or the Persona 4 Arena/injustice games. I suppose I'd treat other fighting and puzzle titles on a game-by-game basis. 

Broadly speaking, and referring to my "finishing" vs "completion" comparison, a puzzle game is "finished" when every puzzle is solved. A fighting game with a story route for each character would be "finished" when each character's route is gone through. In either case there is still likely plenty of other trophies to do like speed runs or 5 star ranks or combo count thresholds or online matches or any other feats to accomplish for trophy purposes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

For puzzle games and multiplayer or other games without a story mode, I just pick a Gold trophy as the end goal.  

12 hours ago, Ilzaki said:

I set out to at least finish the main story of the games I start.  I looked at my list one day and was like, "Why am I buying these games and not playing them?"

i've done this recently myself. i was like i have near 400 games in my digital librabry and a handful of phycial. i was like. some of these i barely played. some i've never touched. time to fix this. my completetion rate is like 39 percent i think. so i made the tough decision to not but a single new game until my completion is at least at 50%. soooo.....never basically.

• Like 1