Do you look at other people's trophies?

Mui-Desu

Damn some people on here have some pretty strict parameters for for simply viewing a profile lol. I check people's profiles all the time, some times even at random. I like to see what others are playing or have recently played. Like others have stated it also can be beneficial cause you might stumble onto some gems you may have never heard of otherwise. I don't care if you have 1 plat or 100's of plats, shit if you're profile pic looks dope enough I'm checking that shit out. As the writer Samuel Johnson once said, “Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last."

Edited by Pray_4_the_End
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Sometimes, sure.

If someone has an unusual or wildly different opinion to my own on a game, I'll often look at their list to get a sense of where they're coming from, game-background-wise; or if someone is recommending a game I'm on the fence about or haven't heard about before but it sounds interesting, I will want to see what else they played and enjoyed enough to complete, so I can gauge how closely their particular tastes might gel with my own.

Also, on the more negative side, if someone is being a dick on the forums or using their gaming 'prowess' to bully lower level members or troll or just engage in general cu.ntitude, I might look at their profile to see if they actually have the profile to back it up or not ??

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

On here? Rarely. But every so often I get bored and compare trophies with people on my friends list.

I'm always fascinated when people have high percentages (like maybe one or two simple trophies away), but no Plat in a game without a difficult Platinum and you can tell they haven't played it in ages. But you know they have other Plats that are much harder...so I always wonder about the story behind why they don't have that Plat out of everything to do have. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Viper said:

so I always wonder about the story behind why they don't have that Plat out of everything to do have.

Why don’t you just ask them?

I could think of quite a few reasons why ppl might be doing that.

I used to look at ppl’s profiles a lot more a few years ago. On here AND on my friendlist.

Back when not 2/3 profiles have had Powgie gametiles on them. ?

I used to look at games, milestones, first trophy, etc.

And when the psn app still let me compare trophies by earned date, I would compare my friends’ times to mine.

Edited by hBLOXs
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2021 at 8:58 AM, Viper said:

I'm always fascinated when people have high percentages (like maybe one or two simple trophies away), but no Plat in a game without a difficult Platinum and you can tell they haven't played it in ages. But you know they have other Plats that are much harder...so I always wonder about the story behind why they don't have that Plat out of everything to do have. 

Did you ever went on your way and asked them? Making a friendship out of it?

13 hours ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

I peek at a lot of profiles here. I usually silently give people props when I see insane or rare trophies/platinums, or platinums in genres of games I would like to be better at, like those UR Fighting game plats. 

Did that ever inspired you to actually try and platinum those UR games yourself? Tbh a lot of profiles that have somewhat of the same skill as mine or a bigger one always inspired me to challenge myself: If that person did it, I can't see a reason why I wouldn't be able to! ?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mui-Desu said:

Did that ever inspired you to actually try and platinum those UR games yourself? Tbh a lot of profiles that have somewhat of the same skill as mine or a bigger one always inspired me to challenge myself: If that person did it, I can't see a reason why I wouldn't be able to! 1f624.png

It definitely has. Seeing those UR games inspired me to git gud and I have set goals for myself to start putting in the practice. The next game I will be getting to has a UR fighting plat so the journey is beginning pretty soon.

• Like 2

I sometimes take a look at peoples trophy lists. I find inspiration for what games i might want to play, and also i like to see what people play and plat. 

I don't look to compare, because it's not a competition for me. I play what i like, and plat what i love, and numbers (number of plats) don't interest me at all. People who do 1000 easy games to boost their numbers don't impress me, and i couldn't care less. But it's all good if they like doing that :) 

I love when i stumble over a list, with a lot of ultra rares and special games, that i find a little cool :) 

• Like 1

Generally, no. Barring some sort of disastrous mass banning, I'm never going to be the top of the leaderboard  so the only person who I'm in competition is with me. Looking at another profiles doesn't really motivate me as that person has a whole different life and circumstances to deal with.

The only time I really look at another persons profile is if they've posted in the dispute forum. Partially to see if it's a game I'm familiar with enough to help prove/disprove the dispute but mostly more of a "Roll up, roll up - come gawk at the massive cheater!" sort of thing.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 3:12 AM, hBLOXs said:

Why don’t you just ask them?

On 5/9/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mui-Desu said:

Did you ever went on your way and asked them? Making a friendship out of it?

No, I always felt like that'd be a weird question to ask people lol. 

"So I was stalking your profile, and noticed you never platted such and such game, but you were so close to doing so and what you have left is pretty easy...what happened there?".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Occasionally. I'm absolutely shit at keeping up with gaming news, legit can't tell you what was released last month, or what's going to be released next month. It's a surprisingly decent way of finding games that I might've missed, or some obscure games (the PS store runs like shit on my laptop). I found the Talos Principle by clicking on random profiles and it turned out to be one of my favourite games of all time. I have a look through some of my followers more often to see what everyone's up to, didn't realize how many of them haven't been around or aren't active on PSN anymore when I looked a couple of weeks ago. 

One thing I find really interesting is the people at the bottom of the leaderboard, people who earned a single trophy a decade ago and never returned. I wonder what happened to them. 

• Like 1

On 19.05.2021 at 4:31 AM, FarSideOfSaturn said:

One thing I find really interesting is the people at the bottom of the leaderboard, people who earned a single trophy a decade ago and never returned. I wonder what happened to them. 

Yeah, I like to examine profiles that weren't updated in years. I always wonder what happened to their masters? Have they given up gaming, or maybe got disappointed in playstation and changed platform, or perhaps just died? I don't know why, but I find this interesting.

• Like 1

Outside of the newest platinum thread, the odd post in the trophy case thread and when a friend asks me to look at their list for recommendations, I don't look at other profiles. I mirror the notion of not responding to 0 trophy profiles, though. Getting a random friend request from a profile with 0 trophies and private information is a sure fire sign of a burner account.

• Like 1

Yeah, sure.  I like to look at random profiles near me on the leaderboards sometimes.  Also, sometimes lookup someone that posts in the forums or on a status update for various reasons.  I don't really know what I'm trying to learn from it most of the time, but I guess it's interesting to get a sense of what people are doing.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...