Final Fantasy XVI - June 22, 2023

Abby_TheLastofUs

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Good news everyone!!

OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/final_fantasy_xvi_coming_sooner_than_people_think_reportedly_in_development_for_at_least_4_years

Looks like we might be getting this soon after all!! Maybe @Stan Lee was right after all? 1f914.png

That is good news! 

4 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Good news everyone!!

OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/final_fantasy_xvi_coming_sooner_than_people_think_reportedly_in_development_for_at_least_4_years

Looks like we might be getting this soon after all!! Maybe @Stan Lee was right after all? 1f914.png

Yeah I'm not that surprised really. The reveal trailer showed that the game was actually really far along. I can't remember a FF reveal that actually had gameplay and voice acting (and English at that!). 

8 minutes ago, droppingtherock said:

Am I the only one that misses turn based FF? I mean, action RPG is fine, but is this medium too dated or something? Is that why Square turned FF7 into an action RPG? From a gameplay standpoint, this looks just like 15 and 7 remake. Just my preference I guess, but I'll probably skip this one.

No you're not the only one that feels that way.

On the flip side of the same coin, Final Fantasy should never be locked into turn based only games. I for one am looking forward to the development into the future since Final Fantasy 13. 

There's definitely a lot of people on both sides of the fence. I kind of take that happy little medium where I'll buy a Final Fantasy simply because it's a Final Fantasy. I really don't care if it's turn based or action. I've played a lot of both and am very used to both styles of gameplay. I won't skip a game simply because it doesn't have one particular mechanical style over the other.

I actually run into this a lot with a lot of my friends. Refusal to buy games for different reasons. It's like people are trying to chase nostalgia their whole lives or aren't satisfied and have this childlike refusal to try anything new. I'm just more tired of seeing people think Final Fantasy MUST be turned based or else it's not even worthy of their time.

Ah well. I'll platinum FF16 anyway and carry the flame for those that don't wanna move on, just like with FF7R. Lol. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, droppingtherock said:

Am I the only one that misses turn based FF? I mean, action RPG is fine, but is this medium too dated or something? Is that why Square turned FF7 into an action RPG? From a gameplay standpoint, this looks just like 15 and 7 remake. Just my preference I guess, but I'll probably skip this one.

No, there's still a lot of people who enjoy traditional turn-based games. But FF has always had a mainstream approach over the recent years. It's still possible they may make another turn-based game someday, or create some new franchise with a turn-base system like Octopath Traveler.

Also I would say that FF7R is an evolution of Crisis Core's gameplay. As for the combat system in 16, it is leaning more towards DMC. They even have the combat designer from DMC5 working on it.

Edited by RollinKaiserRoll
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, RollinKaiserRoll said:

No, there's still a lot of people who enjoy traditional turn-based games. But FF has always had a mainstream approach over the recent years. It's still possible they may make another turn-based game someday, or create some new franchise with a turn-base system like Octopath Traveler.

Also I would say that FF7R is an evolution of Crisis Core's gameplay. As for the combat system in 16, it is leaning more towards DMC. They even have the combat designer from DMC5 working on it.

This game will slap so hard!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Teaser site for the game is up: https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/

Main character:

Screenshot_2020-10-29_THE_CHARACTERS_FIN

Looks like there are six realms in the game.

19cb2dbfbc61bd306.png

29ad78ca0076520b8.png

FINAL FANTASY XVI producer (that’s right, just producer) Naoki Yoshida here. How did you enjoy the trailer? The exclusive footage, comprised of both battles and cutscenes running in real time, represents but a fraction of what our team has accomplished since the start of development on this, an all-new FINAL FANTASY game. In that span, the team’s size has grown from a handful of core members to a full-fledged unit that continues to polish and build upon what they have created so far, all to provide players an experience unmatched in terms of story and gameplay.
Our next big information reveal is scheduled for 2021, so in the meantime, I expect everyone to have fun speculating, as we have a lot in store—not only for the newest entry in the series, FINAL FANTASY XVI, but for FINAL FANTASY XIV, too. Needless to say, I’ll be working hard on both!

Producer
Naoki Yoshida

When FINAL FANTASY I was released, I was just another player─a young student with big dreams. By the time FINAL FANTASY V was in the works, I had earned myself a seat at the developers’ table...albeit at the very end. From there, I moved “online,” leaving my mark on both FINAL FANTASY XI and XIV.

And now...XVI.

From the establishment of an all new development environment, to learning the ins and outs of the PS5, the team and I have taken upon countless challenges during our journey to bring you the sixteenth chapter in the storied FINAL FANTASY franchise. And though we're pouring our hearts and souls into this project each and every day, it may still be some time before we can get it into your hands. However I promise, the wait will be worth it!

Director
Hiroshi Takai

• Like 1

I was suprised about this trailer. Me and some friends are a from the 90s and we love the older games.
I played FF 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 on GBA. They are awesome games. Bad boys and bad girls are super creative. In some games, they are a demonic antagonist who influence other bosses. In other games, they are something like organisation of bosses. Kefka is one of my favorite villain from FF 1-6 gen.

FF 16 looks a bit like FF 9, 12 and 14 and about the states and maybe their federation and centralism i am afraid it would be like type 0. Dont get me wrong, i like type 0 but the gameplay was not the funniest, also the story in 4/5 from the game. About world genre i dont care. I love them all, ancient world, medieval, present, futuristic... they have all their charme. But i am care about the fantasy genre. I need FF monsters, bioms, races, powers, gods (like Bahamut <3)...

The most important thing to me are the OSTs. That is what makes FF to me so special and hit me emotional. Of course an act PLUS music makes FF impressive.

I really hope this game would not shred like FF 15. They are some points i can talk about, but i dont want to make a bad ambience here.

I dont relly need a PS5 yet. Not even 2021, but when FF 16 will be released, i would buy a PS5 too.

• 1 year later...

Final Fantasy XVI Development Delayed by Almost a Half Year, Next Big Reveal Set for Spring 2022 (credit to Gematsu):

zp-277677_Final-Fantasy-XVI_2020_09-16-2

Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida has published an update on the game’s development, announcing that complications stemming from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic have delayed production by almost a half year, and confirming that the next big information reveal is planned for spring 2022.

Get the full message below.

Greetings everyone,

When last we spoke, I promised I would have more information on Final Fantasy XVI sometime later in 2021, However, I regret to inform you that I will be unable to keep that promise as complications stemming from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic have delayed the game’s development by almost a half year.

As the latest addition to the Final Fantasy series being developed for the PlayStation 5, Final Fantasy XVI has amassed a sizeable team composed of talented creators from around the world. However, in an effort to offset the effects of COVID-19, we’ve had to decentralize that workforce by permitting staff to tackle their assignments from home. This has unfortunately hampered communication from the Tokyo office, which, in turn, has led to delays in—or in extreme cases, cancellations of—asset deliveries from our outsource partners.

That said, we have spent much of 2021 addressing this issue, and hope to see its impact to a minimum by the new year, allowing us to better focus on the tasks at hand: increasing graphic resource quality, refining combat mechanics, fleshing out individual battles, putting the finishing touches on cutscenes, and conducting overall graphical optimization. Our primary goal now is to be as hands on with the game as possible in order to see it fully polished.

So that leaves us with the question, when can we expect the next round of information? Well, I am happy to announce the current plan is to conduct our next big reveal in spring of 2022 as we seek to build excitement leading up to the game’s eventual release.

I deeply apologize to all those who have been looking forward to learning more about Final Fantasy XVI, and thank you for your continued patience while we focus our combined efforts on development.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Naoki Yoshida

Final Fantasy XVI is in development for PlayStation 5.

SOURCE: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/12/final-fantasy-xvi-development-delayed-by-almost-a-half-year-next-big-reveal-set-for-spring-2022

zp-277674_Final-Fantasy-XVI_2020_09-16-2

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

As ridiculous and unfortunate that this news is... I feel like it's still not impossible for it to come out next year. In fact... I honestly think it will. We'll see and time will tell obviously.

Either way I'm still hyped.

just please don't become the next digimon survive that's all I ask

I still believe Digimon Survive was a collective fever dream we all had.

1 hour ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I still believe Digimon Survive was a collective fever dream we all had.

Check my recent post in the thread for it. Digimon Con was announced and they will be featuring Digimon games (PLURAL) and a form where you can submit questions for it was put out recently that specifically mentioned Digimon Survive. Which means it's being featured at this event in some form or another. I don't know if it will FINALLY get an official release date at this point (I'm sure hoping it will because we freaking need one at this point) but it's getting featured in one way or another.

But this is off-topic.

Anyway FFXVI gonna be GOTY 2022. ?

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, ziggypossum said:

Sony just updated the Final Fantasy 16 listing on PlayStation Store

Fans are taking this as a sign that Square Enix will reveal the release date of FF16 at the State of Play on June 2.

Nearly 2 years after it was initially unveiled, Final Fantasy 16 might finally have a release date.

https://www.xfire.com/sony-updated-final-fantasy-16-listing-playstation-store/

https://twitter.com/mrpyo1/status/1532071083309797376

Hopefully we get a God of War release date aswell. That would make this state of play the best in like forever. Having both FF and GoW to look forward to this year would be awesome. 

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Hopefully we get a God of War release date aswell. That would make this state of play the best in like forever. Having both FF and GoW to look forward to this year would be awesome. 

It's third party titles only. GoW is first party. I think. I wouldn't expect it.

• Like 1

Considering YoshiP has been more active on blog posts for FFXIV in the last month, right after he said FFXVI was near the end of development in his last April interview, I can imagine he's finally getting some sleep now, knowing they just need to pop the lid on a new trailer and release date.

• Like 1

Final Fantasy XVI will launch for PlayStation 5 in summer 2023, Square Enix announced.

Get the latest details below, via PlayStation Blog.

Hello everyone!

I know how long you have been waiting for this, so it gives me great pleasure to announce the release of our latest trailer “Dominance.”

In previous interviews and updates, we didn’t delve too deep into details about the game system, but hopefully with this preview, you all were able to get a better picture of what actual gameplay will entail—namely, high-octane battles featuring our protagonist Clive Rosfield wielding a full arsenal of attacks unique to the game’s many Eikons (summons). Not to mention epic clashes between the Eikons themselves that put you right in the action.

The team, under direction of Hiroshi Takai, has entered the final leg of development and is focusing on polish as they continue their march toward master up and launch. I, for one, would like to personally thank them for all the hard work they’ve put into the project.

With the power of the PlayStation 5 behind us, we’re looking to take you on a seamless, story-driven, white-knuckle ride that will rival even the most thrilling roller-coaster. So buckle up, the wait is almost over!

Yoshida Naoki
Final Fantasy XVI Producer

—-

First, allow me to apologize for making everyone wait so long for new information on Final Fantasy XVI… but the good news is it’s finally here!

In our latest trailer, we’ve introduced several new Eikons, as well as provided a more detailed peek at our action-packed battle system and the freedom it gives players. As for development progress, I’m happy to announce that the game is fully playable from start to finish; though, from optimization to brush-up, there is still a mountain of challenges to tackle as we head into our final push.

Until then, please stay tuned. We’ll do our best to not keep you waiting too long before our next update!

Hiroshi Takai
Final Fantasy XVI Director

Introduction of the Dominants of Titan and Garuda

We here on the Final Fantasy XVI team hope you enjoyed the trailer and we wanted to give our fans a little bit more information about the Dominants of Titan and Garuda that you just saw.

Permanent Economic Adviser Hugo Kupka’s meteoric rise to prominence was sudden, if not unexpected. Once a nameless foot soldier in the Republican Army, his awakening as Dominant of the Eikon Titan thrust him to the forefront of Dhalmekian politics. It was here he used his newfound position as the most powerful man in the republic to exert influence over both the nation’s armies and its policy making—amassing a personal fortune in the process. Yet while it is said that a man who has everything wants for nothing, Benedikta Harman will teach him money and power are far from all the world has to offer.

Having emerged from the storm of youth coldhearted and ruthless, Benedikta Harman—Dominant of the Eikon Garuda, Warden of the Wind—turned her talent for swordplay and subterfuge into a command of Waloed’s elite intelligencers. It is on a mission to find the elusive second Eikon of Fire that she crosses paths with a like-minded Clive and is forced to face her past.

Development Staff Introduction

Speaking of the team, we would now like to introduce some of the key development team members behind Final Fantasy XVI. There are some veteran members you may already know of and some we are announcing for the first time, but they all share the same passion and excitement for the next standalone entry in the Final Fantasy series.

• Producer: Naoki Yoshida
  • Main Director: Hiroshi Takai
  • Creative Director & Original Screenplay: Kazutoyo Maehiro
  • Localization Director: Michael-Christopher Koji Fox
  • Art Director: Hiroshi Minagawa
  • Combat Director: Ryota Suzuki
  • Character Design: Kazuya Takahashi
  • Composer: Masayoshi Soken

Landscapes of Final Fantasy XVI

Valisthea—the setting for the protagonist Clive Rosfield’s arduous story. We would like to present a selection of screenshots to leave you with a glimpse into this realm.

The development team is currently in the process of further improving the game experience and quality, as well as optimizing the game for PlayStation 5. We hope you continue to stay tuned for more information as it becomes available!

• Like 1

We all knew Ryota Suzuki was working on the game but it's nice to see it 100% confirmed in the blog post since interviews always just said unannounced action RPG and crap like that when talking about his role at Square before now. FF16 could be terrible in every aspect possible except the combat (which is doubtful given the other talent involved) and I'd still be insanely excited for it. The DMC influence is pretty obvious, the dude basically does Lunar Phase at 1:13 in the new trailer lol.

Being another year+ away sucks, but oh well. Honestly not surprised when I think about it though. Square has a decent amount of releases for the later half of this year between Forspoken, Valkyrie Elysium, Star Ocean, and DioField (and probably something I am forgetting.) I guess it makes sense to have a bunch of smaller games lined up if they don't have the heavy hitter (though it's obvious Luminous wants Forspoken to be on the scale of FF lol.)