Hogwarts Legacy Announced

Abby_TheLastofUs

This train has definitely hit de rail express but it’s important to acknowledge we all come from different places and beliefs, while what JK has said is and may be extremely wrong as someone who’s loved Harry Potter and that universe since I was 10 now 22 (I’m sure plenty of other people are in the same boat here), to then being told we can’t like a certain thing because of what X person said is bound to drive us the wrong way you spend so much time enjoying something then you’re being told not too and to conform to a certain view-point, however you have to see the other side too, it’s obvious why someone on the other end of the spectrum may be upset and has every right too just the same as everyone on the opposite side has every right to enjoy the game. 
This should be about coming together to get excited about hopefully the best game in this universe in a long time. Don’t want to “support”, JK? Just buy it pre owned but advocating not to buy it new to people who have already made their mind up about getting the game does no harm but to the party themselves.

In this situation unfortunately I don’t think any one specific party can be “correct”, especially in this situation as every person has their own rights and what they believe is right and wrong.

Anyways sucks quidditch isn’t in the game and as much as I’d love to throw a curse to every single person I see that won’t happen either?? the environment looks phenomenal though can’t wait. 

Edited by SzzMN
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

That is, until some weeks ago when a vocal minority wants to boycott the game because of the creator's beliefs, nothing of which is present in the game. 

Yep, and honestly i dont care what she's done. It's old news. I'm still playing it. One person pushed to boycott it and now everyone wants to bandwagon. #2023

No player, no matter what gender, or number of genders, current gender, or lack of gender, should tell another player what games should not be played.

exactly. If you all dont want to play it, that's their business. Game will be a huge success. 

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Then again Rowling doesn't call herself a TERF since thats the term transpeople use for her. 

There are no sympathy points gained for making her look like the devil so that men boycott the game. The same men that get called incel or the root of all evil in the western world. Same as guilt-tripping. Guess what, if there'd be a more serious attempt at explaining why buying the game is a terrible idea, maybe there wouldn't be so much backfire. Especially in a gaming community which focuses rightfully so on the game, not the politics. But that low-effort arguing with feels rather than reason, with guilt-tripping left and right, while also trying to get the game from second-hand just to deny that world's creator any royalties while enjoying said world she created feels wrong, I cannot sympathize with that.

See people were looking forward to that game, a lot of people since the Potterverse ticks all the right boxes. It's for both boys and girls, there are strong characters like Hermione Granger, and the whole idea of being a wizard is just fascinating. Fans want to walk around in Hogwarts, go to classes, learn spells and brew magic potions. And with the setting being in the past your character does not get overshadowed by established characters and there will be different stories to tell. That is, until some weeks ago when a vocal minority wants to boycott the game because of the creator's beliefs, nothing of which is present in the game. Everything in games has to be connected with the real world now rather than being escapism, it has to reflect modern day society, going so far that historically correct treatment of women in historical settings is viewed as misogyny (e.g. Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2). And people have enough of that. There's a long list of game trainwrecks where modern day beliefs ruin the experience, Battlefield 2042 or New Tales from the Borderlands being an example. Something that cannot be fixed with the next above-average LGBTQIA+ -themed animated series in CalArts style. And its annoying, a game that should entertaining (or at least tries to, no guaŕantee if Hogwarts Legacy sucks or not) gets instrumentalized and taken hostage because a real discussion with the elephant in the room (Rowling) would take some effort rather than collecting brownie points for virtual signalling. This will only drag on and I am sure those who only want to play the game get pissed sooner or later the longer the debate goes, its a side-note that should have ended with "don't like it, don't buy it" but no, that extra-mile to guilt-trip those interested in the game.

No player, no matter what gender, or number of genders, current gender, or lack of gender, should tell another player what games should not be played.

The bolded parts are so ridiculous I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll start with the fact that games are an art form, and art by nature is political. So it would make perfect sense to focus on the politics of it. As for the other bolded part, well, if leaks are right you're in for a rude awakening there.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, madbuk said:

The bolded parts are so ridiculous I don't even know where to startit. As for the other bolded part, well, if leaks are right you're in for a rude awakening there.

Ok so where exactly are Rowling's anti-trans beliefs manifested in the game? I mean you can somewhat create a trans character in Hogwarts Legacy. Games are also a product and on a scale of a Hogwarts Legacy it takes more than one person to decide what stays in and what not.

And I've seen the terfmas tweet before I wrote the post. It's irony and she rides the hate wave. Taken out of context to make her look like a TERF.

• Like 2

Just now, Thrillhelm said:

Ok so where exactly are Rowling's anti-trans beliefs manifested in the game? I mean you can somewhat create a trans character in Hogwarts Legacy. Games are also a product and on a scale of a Hogwarts Legacy it takes more than one person to decide what stays in and what not.

And I've seen the terfmas tweet before I wrote the post. It's irony and she rides the hate wave. Taken out of context to make her look like a TERF.

I haven't seen anything regarding her TERF views in the game yet, but her politics absolutely are. Spoilers, although it's the general synopsis of the plot, may as well tag them.

Spoiler

The game is about stamping out a rebellion of a race inspired by Jews who just want their own rights.

24 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Then again Rowling doesn't call herself a TERF since thats the term transpeople use for her.

No, it's a term they made up for themselves and then decided was a slur when people associated the term with their terrible behavior.

25 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

There are no sympathy points gained for making her look like the devil so that men boycott the game. The same men that get called incel or the root of all evil in the western world. Same as guilt-tripping. Guess what, if there'd be a more serious attempt at explaining why buying the game is a terrible idea, maybe there wouldn't be so much backfire. Especially in a gaming community which focuses rightfully so on the game, not the politics. But that low-effort arguing with feels rather than reason, with guilt-tripping left and right, while also trying to get the game from second-hand just to deny that world's creator any royalties while enjoying said world she created feels wrong, I cannot sympathize with that.

... Nobody's trying to make men boycott the game? You clearly wouldn't, regardless. The point they were making that if the roles were reversed and that these people had to experience the same level of hatred from JKR that we do, they would be a lot more open to boycotts. That is a hypothetical. It is not an imperative.

As a side note, when you laugh, do you sound like a cartoon villain?

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

This is a thread about the game, not JK. Lets keep it that way. Thanks

The mods seem to disagree with you. If you want to talk about the game, you are free to do so. No need to let me stop you.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, madbuk said:

I haven't seen anything regarding her TERF views in the game yet, but her politics absolutely are. Spoilers, although it's the general synopsis of the plot, may as well tag them.

Reveal hidden contents

The game is about stamping out a rebellion of a race inspired by Jews who just want their own rights.

Lets stay with the TERF views because transpeople want to cancel the game because of Rowling's beliefs on them. Oh and the plot, lets say there's a hundred games, books and movies where said species is seen as that, its species, not the equivalent of a real-life group of people. The spoiler sounds more like a plot twist to happen.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, squaresoft4ever7 said:

If you look from within you'll realize that nobody's perfect.

The difference between not being perfect and spearheading a genocidal movement demanding at best the segregation and at worst the extermination of minorities, quoting 'Mein Kampf' and allying with the far-right might be subtle for some, but if you look closely, you just might find it :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Probably not unfortunately 

I guess so?

57 minutes ago, madbuk said:

The bolded parts are so ridiculous I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll start with the fact that games are an art form, and art by nature is political. So it would make perfect sense to focus on the politics of it. As for the other bolded part, well, if leaks are right you're in for a rude awakening there.

I think you need to see the defination of the Hellenic concept again, not everything is political.

44 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Reveal hidden contents

House Elves are not inspired by the remnants of Hebrew tribes and i don't know why they tell that, also this type of house servants is not Rowling creation there are already exist in actual folklore.

Edited by ASMODAIOS344

13 minutes ago, RachelCharlotte said:

The difference between not being perfect and spearheading a genocidal movement demanding at best the segregation and at worst the extermination of minorities, quoting 'Mein Kampf' and allying with the far-right might be subtle for some, but if you look closely, you just might find it :)

Correct, I probably should've stated that I don't really care much about JK, I definitely disagree with her views though.  I think the dev team has done a decent enough job of separating themselves from her but also staying true to the series.  I just hope the game will be as good as it's hyped up to be. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrillhelm said:

It's the context. One group is actually hated by Rowling but makes up a small percentage of people overall (its 0.33% in Germany for example), and those want to boycott Hogwarts Legacy and guilt-trip others to do so as well.

As maybe one of those supposedly 0.33% it seems to mean that I have to boycott and guilt-trip others. But I am surprised by that and I come most unprepared for the task. I am unwilling too. Ah man, it feels as if expectations to comply to certain behaviours are everywhere these days.

So I guess that I have to… have to comply… alright, playful banter side, I hope the game’s dope. The last HP game I played was a PS1 game back in the day that has left me with scarring memories of technical issues. It was shame, not even close to a faithful representation of the HP universe or of what a game can be. This, trophies aside, looks mad good. The price differences between the different versions of the game are nuts, though. As picking it up or not may be indicative of “a political and personal stance” on a woman who invented the world the game’s recreated, there seems to be some unspoken pressure to make a yay or nay statement about it. I’m unwilling to make one, I am having myself an Opposing Day today! Woo!

Though, now that we sadly are so off the actual topic of the game and on a whole different altogether… what does worry me a little is that there are a very few people who word their statements in a manner that seemingly homogenises a whole minority composed of mostly strangers to each other in order to paint them largely (or completely) as one and as such, paint them as having certain views as one, certain motivations as one and implying that they act in harmony together towards common goals such as against other views and people. Oh but then again, this is a really well proven and traditional way to paint a player-opposing, unified and by implication also mindless evil fraction with threatening goals to societal peace in games that’s really fun to battle, right? 

• Like 3

1)  I am trying not get hyped but it look like Order of The Phoenix but on steroids, which was a fantastic gamy.

2)  Many fast travel points, i don't remember that.

3)  old school minimap full of icons, i like that.

4) Owl post?? can we sent messages to other players?

5) I don't know what type of collectibles there will be but hope it will be wizard cards or lore scrolls.

6) Very nice UI

I know people can get sorted into their houses early and all that. But eh, I might wait until the game's out and just do it in game and all that. As I checked out the link and all that was really exclusive, as far as I could tell was some clothes and a mask. So honestly, I'm fine without those things and I can wait until the game's out to find out what house my characters will be in (as well as wand and patronus at that).

I'm at least going to get the version that gives PS5 owners 3 days early access. But going to pay for it next week when I get paid again (getting paid fortnightly can be a pain).

Not watching that opening cinematic either, as I want to experience in the game itself.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fenrirfeather said:

Though, now that we sadly are so off the actual topic of the game and on a whole different altogether… what does worry me a little is that there are a very few people who word their statements in a manner that seemingly homogenises a whole minority composed of mostly strangers to each other in order to paint them largely (or completely) as one and as such, paint them as having certain views as one, certain motivations as one and implying that they act in harmony together towards common goals such as against other views and people. Oh but then again, this is a really well proven and traditional way to paint a player-opposing, unified and by implication also mindless evil fraction with threatening goals to societal peace in games that’s really fun to battle, right?

I understand what you mean, it's a common problem especially in recent years to try to put different person inside a big ''bucket'', either intentionally or not and the worst is to treat them not as individual entities but as a stupid label.

1 minute ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I know people can get sorted into their houses early and all that. But eh, I might wait until the game's out and just do it in game and all that. As I checked out the link and all that was really exclusive, as far as I could tell was some clothes and a mask. So honestly, I'm fine without those things and I can wait until the game's out to find out what house my characters will be in (as well as wand and patronus at that).

I'm at least going to get the version that gives PS5 owners 3 days early access. But going to pay for it next week when I get paid again (getting paid fortnightly can be a pain).

Not watching that opening cinematic either, as I want to experience in the game itself.

I am not certain the MC will have a patronus in-game, due to the killing curse and lorewise. Certainly i am wrong in that but is a thought of mine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ASMODAIOS344 said:

I am not certain the MC will have a patronus in-game, due to the killing curse and lorewise. Certainly i am wrong in that but is a thought of mine.

Hmm yeah, I suppose that's true. All I recall about the patronus from the movies was when Harry used one to blast away those Dementors around the lake (as well as the training stuff in the Room of Requirement). But that's about it. I mean maybe they'd give you one for fighting purposes, who knows.

I guess I find it strange though, if that website gives you one, then by all accounts, it would be in the game. At least, that's what I would assume so anyway.

But ah well, I can easily wait until the game to find out that sort of stuff for sure. Heck, I'm not even fussed on which house I'm to be sorted into when the game comes out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Hmm yeah, I suppose that's true. All I recall about the patronus from the movies was when Harry used one to blast away those Dementors around the lake (as well as the training stuff in the Room of Requirement). But that's about it. I mean maybe they'd give you one for fighting purposes, who knows.

I guess I find it strange though, if that website gives you one, then by all accounts, it would be in the game. At least, that's what I would assume so anyway.

But ah well, I can easily wait until the game to find out that sort of stuff for sure. Heck, I'm not even fussed on which house I'm to be sorted into when the game comes out.

1) I made a quick reading in Harry Potter wiki at it seems the Patronus Charm can be used by a dark wizard by its extremely rare. The wizard need to possess noble heart, i don't understand that fully but the wiki has some examples.

2) No the Fan Club site is not related to the game but is the central place for the Wizarding World IP which feature articles, quizzes, behind the scenes stuff, merchandise store.

...wow this thread blew the hell up since I last stopped by. I admit my eyes sort of glazed over when reeeeeesetera was brought up. I don't care which side of the line you're on, it's not worth giving them any attention. Encourage change, discourage hate.

On 1/22/2023 at 0:25 AM, Infected Elite said:

This will most likely give you that!

The Lego HP games are apparently fun. Sis-in-law was playing it. But it is a lego game and they are all kind of the same.

The thing the LEGO Harry Potter games get right is world exploration. Pretty much every game from before that points puts you in the situation of having a school to explore but not being able to because story and/or technical limitations. LEGO was one of the first where you're handed a large castle full of details and life to poke around in. Which is what I liked about the trailers for Legacy. I don't give a damn about the story, it frankly comes off as boring a-typical fantasy. Fucking about a fully realized Hogwarts Castle, however, sounds great.

9 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

I wouldn't say that she's against describing herself as such. She seems to like it here:

This always struck me less as a 'haha I'm a terf!' and more 'if you're going to @ me I'm going to fuck with you'.

• Like 3