Hogwarts Legacy Announced

Abby_TheLastofUs

I have never been a fan of Harry Potter, never watch the movies or read the books, but if I was I would totally buy this game regardless of what the creator says.

I am all pro gay rights and I visit Chick Fil A every time I can.

JK is filthy rich, not buying this game won't affect her wallet at all since most of the revenue she creates is all about the licensing, sales gets her a super small percentage.

No ethical consumption under capitalism - we're all complicit to some extent in humans and animals alike being treated poorly, whether it's the food we consume, the electronics we purchase, just how we go about our day to day lives with travelling, using the internet, etc. etc.

But I'm sure I don't need to point out there's a difference between things that are a necessity, and a video game, which no one needs. I'm not gonna say anyone who buys the game new (or digitally) is automatically a transphobe, just as I'm not gonna say anyone supports crunch if they bought Red Dead 2, or supports the war in Ukraine if they buy Atomic Heart - you're most likely buying those games because they look fun, which no one is gonna begrudge you for. But you're indirectly supporting it whether you want to or not, just like you're indirectly supporting slavery and other human rights violations with the food, clothing and electronics you buy. I know people generally don't like to hear that, we don't like to hear that things we choose to do or buy makes us "bad people" to some degree, but that's just the reality of it. It's not just a case of Rowling having some unsavoury views, she's actively supporting anti-trans organisations. She's one of those people that is "clever" about how she expresses her views, so to a lot of people, she may not seem transphobic, since nothing she says is "overtly" transphobic (AFAIK, dunno if she's gotten worse in recent years or not). There's plausible deniability, but it's plain as day to anyone who's seen this kind of rhetoric a million times.

The game is undoubtedly going to sell well so no one needs to worry about buying 5 copies to "own the libs" or whatever. And if it makes anyone feel any better about their purchase, Rowling is probably not going to go away any time soon whether or not this game even exists anyway. Just buy the game or don't, that's your own business, no point making any mental gymnastics or comparisons to justify your purchase - if you go down that route, it just becomes a game of "how many wrongs make a right?", which is pointless. Perhaps the better question you should be asking yourself is, why do you even feel the need to justify your purchase?

Also, my condolences to @Abby_TheLastofUs for likely another locked thread at some point, lol.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Neither do you. It's funny how the only time you people pretend to care about social issues is when you can use them to dismiss other social issues. And it's always problems in countries primarily populated by people of color, too. No mention, for instance, of the ongoing sterilization of indigenous people in Canada, which is a form of genocide.

Lmao. I called Disney on that shit as it happened because it’s awful and Disney is awful. Kick rocks.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yeah, to some extent supporting most game companies could be considered immoral 

100%

16 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Neither do you. It's funny how the only time you people pretend to care about social issues is when you can use them to dismiss other social issues. And it's always problems in countries primarily populated by people of color, too. No mention, for instance, of the ongoing sterilization of indigenous people in Canada, which is a form of genocide.

Not all of us canadians are bad eh? But indigenous and color talks are ones i avoid. 

also you said "you people".... that is bad in 2023. ?

But yeah, Canada has its issues. We are far from perfect. 

4 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

also you said "you people".... that is bad in 2023. 1f605.png

Depends on which people you're talking about. In this case, I mean the "the evil SJWs are force feminizing me by talking about transphobia" crowd.

4 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

But yeah, Canada has its issues. We are far from perfect.

Yeah, it sounds like it's better than the US overall, but nowhere near as progressive as some people make it sound, e.g. all the people who talk about moving to Canada as if it's the last bastion of civilization.

Edited by Darling Baphomet

3 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Depends on which people you're talking about. In this case, I mean the "the evil SJWs are force feminizing me by talking about transphobia" crowd.

i just meant the term. Seems its joining the ranks of weirdos. Apparently thats bad to call people as of 2022. Just be you. You challenge opinions, thats something many dont do. Take/accept criticism as well as work with it to come to a compromised understanding of both parties thus neutralizing any further argument.

3 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yeah, it sounds like it's better than the US overall, but nowhere near as progressive as some people make it sound, e.g. all the people who talk about moving to Canada as if it's the last bastion of civilization.

Ah i mean Canada.... has some flaws. Way too much free land, which is nice. Way too high cost of living right now, single room apartment in high end place like toronto or vancouver can go for 2400$-3000$.... then theres all the canadians vs whomever. Canada is racist and everything too, i think it just goes unseen because media doesnt really touch on it. 

I hear New Zealand is nice though. 

But back on topic, didn't a bunch of people get mad at Resident Evil 5 because most zombies were african american? Its as if people cant distinguish reality from art. Seems the same is true with Hogwarts. 

The way I see it is - if it was really that important to people, you'd think they'd be doing something more productive to help the cause than arguing with strangers on a forum or trying to create a cancel party on twitter *shrugs. It's strange to me that people think bitching about something on twitter will help, especially when twitter is filled with kpop fancams and people trying to cancel others just because they're bored on Wednesday.

Canceling one game won't make any difference because that chick is loaded to the teeth with cash. She won't feel a bit of pain on the off chance this game was canceled or no one bought it. She probably wouldn't even notice as she bathes in her in-ground pool of cash. At the end of the day, some will buy the game and be transported to a world of magic they can only dream of. Others won't buy the game and will continue to be bitter towards those that did instead of doing something more productive with their ire. I have friends in the LGBTQ community who can't stand JK and don't support what she says, but they have no problem with Harry Potter because they can separate the art from the artist. 

Here's a news flash for you - human beings are generally trash. Everyone has done something shitty, you just don't know about it. You support thousands of games, companies, and artists who say and do shitty things and you're none the wiser. Or maybe you are but it's just not interesting enough for you to bitch about that. If we stopped consuming all media created by dipshit humans, we'd all be sitting in a white room rocking back and forth wondering why the fuck we're even still here. Being "woke" is fine, but don't try to push it onto others. That's why people aren't willing to back you.

Generally, when you try to force something on someone, they will do the opposite. You're only hurting your own cause.

That's the last I'll say on the subject, but the rest of you can continue on. Just wait for me to get my popcorn, yeah?

• Like 3

I don't agree with Rowlings views...but I also don't give much of a shit about her speaking her mind either. To me the game looks amazing, and I'm saying that as someone who's a very casual Harry Potter fan (I liked the movies, but never became a super fan), so I want to play it. I'm not pre-ordering it or anything, but something I'll get later. But point is, I think it looks good, I want to get it. Pretty simple. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Now compare America or Canada to other countries around the world then come back and let us know just how bad you have it living comfortably In a country with limitless opportunities where you can actually afford to sit on the internet crying about your problems. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Now compare America or Canada to other countries around the world then come back and let us know just how bad you have it living comfortably In a country with limitless opportunities where you can actually afford to sit on the internet crying about your problems. 

My god, it's like speaking to an early 2000s chatbot. Would you like to explain to the class exactly what you think the purported economic opportunities in the US & Canada have to do with addressing systemic injustices and outright genocide?

Edited by Darling Baphomet

Hmm, some interesting comments here. I think my views on boycotts have actually changed significantly. If by "they're pointless," one just means "they could be more efficacious," I can grant that. However, if my goals are simply to quantifiably reduce the amount of the thing in question being produced, while personally abstaining from something I deem unethical, it seems pretty clear that at least some boycotts satisfy those criteria. There's also nothing preventing me from doing it alongside other forms of activism.

At this point, the "no ethical consumption" phrase makes my eye start twitching, because so many left-leaning folks use it as a bad faith cop out (like the political streamer Vaush, and much of his fanbase). It seems clear to me that, if I have to choose between buying a sweater made with the hair of enslaved orphans, or a sweater made with synthetic fibers, it's morally preferable for me to purchase the latter, even if some exploitation was still involved somewhere in the process of its creation. Regarding "why not do something more productive than argue," how do you know they're not? People can engage in multiple things simultaneously.

As for the game, even if I didn't find the author's views detestable, it wouldn't interest me. I have a brother who really loves the books and films, and he tried mightily to get me into them, but it just never clicked for me, and I'm not exactly sure why. Evanna Lynch seems like a super cool lady, though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Also, my condolences to @Abby_TheLastofUs for likely another locked thread at some point, lol.

It'd be nice if both sides could stop spewing out braindead takes nobody asked for and derailing everything in a massive online dick measuring competition, but yet here we are...

Personally think Rowling is a hack regardless of her personal views (and despite still liking Harry Potter), although I certainly don't agree with said views either.

That said, I'll likely give the game a chance depending on how it turns out (and maybe after a sale) despite being on the "Rowling is bad" side of the aisle.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

both sides could stop spewing out braindead takes nobody asked for and derailing everything in a massive online dick measuring competition

Very insightful take. Some might even call this enlightening, lying in the center.

• Like 2

Getting back on topic, I'm wondering what house ya'll are gonna choose. From what I heard, there's no sorting in the game itself but you can link your wizarding world(?) profile to import your house, wand, etc. I was watching a video that showed off each house and while each one looks beautiful, I'm really intrigued by the fact that Slytherin is beneath the lake. It's weird because blue is my favorite color, but I don't feel right for Ravenclaw. I love honey badgers but I don't feel right for Hufflepuff, either.

I've always loved Slytherin and I have no idea why. Most of 'em of jerks but there's just something so beautiful about the snake emblem and the green/silver. Every test I take always puts me in Gryffindor, though lol I honestly have no idea which one I'm going to choose... do I stay true to my test and choose the brave lion or do I go with my heart and choose the ambitious snake? ?

• Like 2