God of War: Ragnarök (November 9, 2022)

Ghost

On 10/09/2021 at 4:40 PM, starcrunch061 said:

So did Loki. In fact, Loki was known to eat much more than Thor (it was Loki that was chosen for the eating contest in Utgard, after all), but no one is putting a big gut on him.

Isn't Loki a shapeshifter? If he has complete control over what he looks like, changing based on what he eats would be weirder

44 minutes ago, FractalGrinder said:

So what, means we are waiting for new IP from Santa Monica Studio after Ragnarok’s premiere? 

God, Ragnarok’s premiere sounds so weird ?

Possibly. Corey Barlog said he wasn't directing this one because he's working on something else at Santa Monica...so new IP would be really cool to see from them.

But in GOW 2018 there was a mural depicting other places Kratos could end up. There was Greece denoting the old games, Japan, Egypt and Ireland. So the next GOW game could easily be based in Japanese, Egyptian or Celtic Mythology. Personally I'd go Japananese or Celtic, we've had plenty of Egyptian based games over the years. 

image0.png

I think it's just weird to hear this is the last game in this story because it's only 2 games instead of the 3. We tend to think of trilogies as complete stories a lot of the times instead of Duologies. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Possibly. Corey Barlog said he wasn't directing this one because he's working on something else at Santa Monica...so new IP would be really cool to see from them. 

I don’t mind having new IP from that studio, I just want it to be worth buying and re-playing, that’s all. 
Btw, there is also one possibility. Ragnarok will be the end of norse saga, not end of the God of War universe, so to speak. 

If making a “modern” God of War game like the one from 2018, there is a chance they want to “rebuild ” engine again (to build games easier on it) so telling stories from this universe could happen more often (which covers with what has been said in “Rising Kratos” video on YT - they only create game when they have something to tell about and now they have a ton of material that could be worked on),  so I don’t think they’ll end God of War (just yet), but new IP from that studio is also something I would like to see. 

7 minutes ago, FractalGrinder said:

I don’t mind having new IP from that studio, I just want it to be worth buying and re-playing, that’s all. 
Btw, there is also one possibility. Ragnarok will be the end of norse saga, not end of the God of War universe, so to speak. 

If making a “modern” God of War game like the one from 2018, there is a chance they want to “rebuild ” engine again (to build games easier on it) so telling stories from this universe could happen more often (which covers with what has been said in “Rising Kratos” video on YT - they only create game when they have something to tell about and now they have a ton of material that could be worked on),  so I don’t think they’ll end God of War (just yet), but new IP from that studio is also something I would like to see. 

That's why I brought up the mural in the first game. I don't think they're ending GOW at all...they're just ending the Norse Mythology side of things, and the mural shows other places Kratos apparently ends up. Japan, Egypt and Ireland. All of which would make for interesting GOW games. 

• Like 1

Hi gamers, Today, We'll talk about recently announced gameplay trailer of God Of War Ragnarok. After waiting for too long, finally Sony Playstaion announced the trailer last few hours ago. The gameplay really looks great and no we'll expect more beautiful places in upcoming god of war ragnarok.

God Of War Ragnarok will consist a series of events and catastrophes that ultimately lead to the end of the world according to norse mythology.

The developers of Ragnarok have managed to combine this new game with the classic gameplay of the God of War 2018. The result is a game that is both different in its format and mechanics, but at the same time very much like the earlier games in the God of War 2018.

Starts things off much faster thanks to Sony providing us a wonderful trailer through playstation showcase. While some scences in the gameplay trailer are absolutely looking great with new places.

Official God Of War Ragnarok Trailer

The trailer shows us the game in action. God of War Ragnarok lead character Kratos who has just started a new journey with his son Atreus from distant battle. The God of War: Ragnarok game is directed by Eric William, who has been associated with Santa Monica Studios since 2004. He has been involved in making all the projects from God of War 1 to God of War 2018 and also Ragnarok. Erick William also confirm that god of war rangnrok will be the last god of war in the norse mythology.

Continue Reading: https://supaan.com/god-of-war-ragnarok-official-trailer-the-last-god-of-war-in-the-norse-mythology/

I can't say I'm surprised they are wrapping up the Norse mythology. I know some people felt that the previous GOW had gotten a bit stale with the Greek Pantheon and more than 6 games in that particular mythology. It makes me wonder if they're already planning on the next mythology or doing a spinoff following a different character, rather than Kratos.

Not surprised, that interview after the Playstation Showcase, Cory Barlog was definitely hinting that they were working on another game. It also explains all those coy statements where he was like God of War Ragnarok, never heard of it. Maybe Egyptian mythology is next.

Edited by da-Noob123

• 2 weeks later...

God of War Ragnarok delay reason proves why Sony Santa Monica is one of the best studios (DualShockers)

the real reason for the delay was because of Christopher’s illness according to a tweet posted by him earlier today. He mentions that he had to undergo back surgery, knee surgery and have both hips replaced in August 2019. Instead of simply opting for another artist, Santa Monica Studios’ waited for Christopher’s rehab.

Christopher praises the studio for its gesture and mentions how it didn’t even mention once the reason for the delay. Considering that this incident took place before the pandemic, it isn’t that multiple reasons led to the inevitable delay but merely shows how much Santa Monica cares about its crew. In an industry where work culture and work-life balance always comes under scrutiny, developers like Santa Monica studios are surely setting an example.

Edited by Ghost

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile the game was officially rated in Saudi Arabia, so I guess the release date is closer than we think.

On 28.12.2021 at 2:53 AM, Quink666 said:

September 30th seems like it could be it. Probably won't have that much competition in september either.

I guess it's just a placeholder)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

I guess it's just a placeholder)

It's not your typical placeholder though. A REAL placeholder is either March 31 (usually the end of a fiscal year) or December 31.

Anyway most GOW titles were released on March/April (in the US, GOW1 was released on July in Europe), with the exception of Ghost of Sparta which was released on November.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 4:05 AM, communistwookiee said:

September 30, 2022 is a Friday, so maybe, but I think it's a Q3 placeholder. I've got a gut feeling for May or June, but I could be wrong.

Part of me thinks they would've announced that date by now, especially if it was May.  June is a possibility, but August or September is my bet.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 30th was in fact the date though, given it's a Friday.  

• 3 months later...

God of War Ragnarök accessibility features revealed

Santa Monica Studio highlights a selection of the game’s 60-plus accessibility options designed to suit players’ needs.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05/19/god-of-war-ragnarok-accessibility-features-revealed/

Edited by ziggypossum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ziggypossum said:

God of War Ragnarök accessibility features revealed

Santa Monica Studio highlights a selection of the game’s 60-plus accessibility options designed to suit players’ needs.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05/19/god-of-war-ragnarok-accessibility-features-revealed/

Still no release date? I’m starting to think GoW might be delayed. We’ve gotten almost no news about the game and considering it’s probably everyone most anticipated game of the year I find it strange. Really hope we get a release date by end of summer. 

9 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Still no release date? I’m starting to think GoW might be delayed.

Things like this are usually a late stage development thing. And remember, the release date for the last one was only announced 3 months before, so I wouldn't worry too much. Also based on other games that are still on paper for 2022, many of them still don't have hard dates. I just think that everyone is being gun shy about release dates until they absolutely know that they'll be able to hit them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

Things like this are usually a late stage development thing. And remember, the release date for the last one was only announced 3 months before, so I wouldn't worry too much. Also based on other games that are still on paper for 2022, many of them still don't have hard dates. I just think that everyone is being gun shy about release dates until they absolutely know that they'll be able to hit them.

Exactly and honestly 3-4months from release is when an announcement should be. Game reveals already leave hype, then just say nothing till its near finalized and push hard. Issue is devs feeling the need to have something to show off at events.

My guess is God of War late September or early December. not Oct or Nov for various reasons. 

Plus delay wise, they've been questioned about it recently and still say its coming in 2022..We will show something when ready.

My guess is there going to announce release date next month and just keep play testing everything up until release. 

Hopefully it takes after Gotham Knights and just releases on PS5.

The reason Santa Monica reveled this today was in celebration of Global Accessibility Awareness Day. Agreed with the notion that these features are built in during late stage development. More news to come soon I'm sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Accessibility_Awareness_Day

13 minutes ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

these features are built in during late stage development

not true, if you read the blog post, most of them are subtitiles options which are extremely easy to implement and a lot of them are carry overs from the 2018 game or the PC Release new accessibility features, also pretty much all of these have already been done in other Sony games like TLOU2 so I'm sure the Santa Monica devs didn't have to build everything from zero and Sony just has a team of people that handles most of this stuff for all the 1st party games

and for the people hoping this drops the PS4 version like Gotham Knights, what exactly do you think that will accomplish for you for the PS5 version? just because Gotham Knights dropped the PS4 version, it doesn't mean the 4 year in development cross gen game magically transforms into a fully next gen game, it's stll a crossgen game, all the work that was done intended to run on a 2013 console will still be in the ps5 only release in the same quality it would've been if the ps4 version still released, the reason they have dropped the ps4 version is because of time and money, not because suddenly they woke up one day and decided to remake years of assets that fully utilize the ps5 and dropped the ps4 version, this is common sense.... can't believe I even have to say this

Edited by The Investigator
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, communistwookiee said:

Things like this are usually a late stage development thing. 

Didn’t know that. At least now I got some hope it’ll still release this year.

But I got to say it kinda amazing to see developers take the time to put all these accessibility option into their games, mainly PlayStations first party studios. Gaming is and should be made available for everyone. The Last of Us 2 had a plethora of options which was awesome. 

• Like 1