God of War: Ragnarök (November 9, 2022)

Ghost

9 minutes ago, Chaos_Bladez said:

This will probably get buried but I loved the game, too, and also gave it a 10/10. However, I did want to tell people that it took me 44 hours to beat it doing most side stuff on hard and 52 hours to platinum it. Very doable without a guide, as I obviously did it without one. If anyone has questions, let me know.

Can you say something about the trophies? There is any difficulty trophy?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chaos_Bladez said:

Sadly, I can't say anything specific about the trophy list. Sony is very, very particular about embargoes and I'd rather not risk it.

I will say that I played on hard because I wanted to and that I like the challenge so interpret that however you want. 

Are there any missable items?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chaos_Bladez said:

This will probably get buried but I loved the game, too, and also gave it a 10/10. However, I did want to tell people that it took me 44 hours to beat it doing most side stuff on hard and 52 hours to platinum it. It'll probably be slightly less for those who play on normal and are able to look up things on the rare occasion that they get stuck. It is very doable without a guide, as I obviously did it without one. If anyone has questions, let me know.

Can you share the trophies now or when is the embargo lifted?

the hype surrounding this game is fkn INSUFFERABLE.

i am in the minority here - i did not enjoy the 2018 game, despite sticking with it all the way to the platinum and wanting to be proven wrong.

i am disbelief it get 10/10 ratings it got. i gave it 4/10. this is coming from someone who played the original games and the first one whilst a student at university in 2005.

any game getting 10/10 means to me it is a perfect game without flaws. no game is perfect, not even my favourite games.

i'm going to just say it - the 2018 game was bad. my reasons for it...

- camera angle used doesnt work for hack n slash. cant even see whats behind me it needs attacking indicators, LOL

- the combat was slow and clunky and not fast flowing as the older ones

- the story was long winded and terrible. basically going someplace to spread some ashes of someone you dont even know.

- you cant even jump, so no fancy aerial attacks

- nonsensical upgrading system

- lacking enemy variety. i mean, the troll enemies are literal copy/pastes with different colours, LOL

- the puzzle games are all the same, throw-the-axe-to-XYZ. its monotonous.

- i actually dont remember much from the game, other than the conor mcgregor lookalike and the big dragon fight you pick its nails on

- the boy. he doesnt STFU. i found him annoying as fk!!

- no decent boss fights

- too much walking, climbing, carrying, boating...it gets boring

- environments are samey. and also, some maps you dont even access so WTF is the point in adding them in the game.

- awkward shooter type controls for a hack n slash game

- some challenges are a waste of fkn time - you do them, open the chest, only to find something thats just pointless and end up not using!

- music isnt even that good, even in combat, compared to the original games

- the game seems to prioritise story over gameplay/combat, which is wrong.

- the start of the game was so fkn boring, spending 20mins walking with a tree as opposed to going straight to action like the other games. WTAF.

- not many weapons, the magic attacks werent good

- fast travel in this game is comically bad - enter the portal and end up running for minutes until the next portal opens up again

- the world felt empty. there were no signs of civilisation anywhere, no civilians or anything, other than the main characters.

- moments of disappointment such as seeing a giant bird in the distance which i thought was going to finally make a decent boss but no, got another fkn troll.

- the game went on too long and overstretched. the original games were streamlined and concise. the pacing in this game was slow. too much downtime. too many 'but wait theres more' moments. this game could have been halved.

- fighting felt repetitive and mundane.

- kratos was monotonal

- the RPG-style elements slowed down the game

- having only limited options with what runic attacks you can do, why not allow me to do all of them instead of pausing the game and changing all the damn time.

- too much walky-talky BS for my liking.

that said, there were some things i did like of course...

- the valkarye fights were fun. my favourite part of the game was the last valkarye - to me, that felt like 'god of war standard'.

- the story behind side quests (when meeting the ghosts and doing their favours) were interesting.

- the final boss fight was ok.

i appreciate that when i was playing ascension, the god of war series started to feel stale and tired and needing a refresh in its presentation and experience. but the 2018 was the wrong execution, imho. devil may cry 5 was what god of war 4 SHOULD have been. not the crap we got with the 2018 game. imagine playing DMC in that camera angle!

so as some of you i hope can appreciate from the above, it leaves me bewildered how a game with more imperfections that good things going for it gets a 10/10. is it because of the story/journey/graphics/presentation alone? thats not enough to me. gameplay matters more and what you do that counts - which in this game, wasnt much. it was a long and repetitive slog. when i got the plat i sold the game straight away after. it would have been interesting if they did not name the 2018 game 'god of war', and the protaganist was someone else, whether it would have gotten 10/10. i get it wouldnt. the game would have been called, for which it actually is (and boring).

having watched the ragnorok trailer, i was hoping this would be better. but i see sony has doubled down. it looks like the same shit as 2018. same camera angle. same looking environments. same annoying boy who doesnt shuts up. i read in places the game can take 50hrs or so to complete - what the hell. so too long winded as well. then i see reviews sucking this game off and swallowing for good measure. 10/10!? are you serious?

it was at that point i felt the likes of IGN and others can no longer be trusted after giving them the bvenefit of the doubt over the years. i feel many reviewers are being paid or threatened to give perfect reviews to aid their sales. hopefully in time we might get some more balanced and fairer reviewers from actual players. i will go in with low expectations, and i will not buy it on day 1 - i cant afford it - i will wait for the price to go down. i might give it a few years to be honest. but i am not holding out much hope. but the hype surrounding it and how nearly everyone say its the best thing with sliced bread is getting insufferable, if i am honest.

to those who loved 2018 and are hyped about this one - thats fine, if you like it then you like it. but i thought i voice my own opinions on this matter from my experience playing the 2018. not all of us are hyped for it. in fact, i expect a double down.

sorry.

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

i am in the minority here - i did not enjoy the 2018 game, despite sticking with it all the way to the platinum and wanting to be proven wrong .

[…]

sorry.

Well there’s no need to be sorry but I’m afraid you’re definitely in minority about this game indeed :-)

Simply put, it’s one of my all-time favourites in spite of its flaws like the lack of variety of the bestiary. A wonderful “father and son” tale captured in a stunning technical performance and served by a great gameplay. 

Saying that I’m overly hyped about the sequel is quite an understatement…

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

i am in the minority here - i did not enjoy the 2018 game, despite sticking with it all the way to the platinum and wanting to be proven wrong.

i am disbelief it get 10/10 ratings it got. i gave it 4/10. this is coming from someone who played the original games and the first one whilst a student at university in 2005.

any game getting 10/10 means to me it is a perfect game without flaws. no game is perfect, not even my favourite games.

i'm going to just say it - the 2018 game was bad. my reasons for it...

- camera angle used doesnt work for hack n slash. cant even see whats behind me it needs attacking indicators, LOL

- the combat was slow and clunky and not fast flowing as the older ones

- the story was long winded and terrible. basically going someplace to spread some ashes of someone you dont even know.

- you cant even jump, so no fancy aerial attacks

- nonsensical upgrading system

- lacking enemy variety. i mean, the troll enemies are literal copy/pastes with different colours, LOL

- the puzzle games are all the same, throw-the-axe-to-XYZ. its monotonous.

- i actually dont remember much from the game, other than the conor mcgregor lookalike and the big dragon fight you pick its nails on

- the boy. he doesnt STFU. i found him annoying as fk!!

- no decent boss fights

- too much walking, climbing, carrying, boating...it gets boring

- environments are samey. and also, some maps you dont even access so WTF is the point in adding them in the game.

- awkward shooter type controls for a hack n slash game

- some challenges are a waste of fkn time - you do them, open the chest, only to find something thats just pointless and end up not using!

- music isnt even that good, even in combat, compared to the original games

- the game seems to prioritise story over gameplay/combat, which is wrong.

- the start of the game was so fkn boring, spending 20mins walking with a tree as opposed to going straight to action like the other games. WTAF.

- not many weapons, the magic attacks werent good

- fast travel in this game is comically bad - enter the portal and end up running for minutes until the next portal opens up again

- the world felt empty. there were no signs of civilisation anywhere, no civilians or anything, other than the main characters.

- moments of disappointment such as seeing a giant bird in the distance which i thought was going to finally make a decent boss but no, got another fkn troll.

- the game went on too long and overstretched. the original games were streamlined and concise. the pacing in this game was slow. too much downtime. too many 'but wait theres more' moments. this game could have been halved.

- fighting felt repetitive and mundane.

- kratos was monotonal

- the RPG-style elements slowed down the game

- having only limited options with what runic attacks you can do, why not allow me to do all of them instead of pausing the game and changing all the damn time.

- too much walky-talky BS for my liking.

that said, there were some things i did like of course...

- the valkarye fights were fun. my favourite part of the game was the last valkarye - to me, that felt like 'god of war standard'.

- the story behind side quests (when meeting the ghosts and doing their favours) were interesting.

- the final boss fight was ok.

i appreciate that when i was playing ascension, the god of war series started to feel stale and tired and needing a refresh in its presentation and experience. but the 2018 was the wrong execution, imho. devil may cry 5 was what god of war 4 SHOULD have been. not the crap we got with the 2018 game. imagine playing DMC in that camera angle!

so as some of you i hope can appreciate from the above, it leaves me bewildered how a game with more imperfections that good things going for it gets a 10/10. is it because of the story/journey/graphics/presentation alone? thats not enough to me. gameplay matters more and what you do that counts - which in this game, wasnt much. it was a long and repetitive slog. when i got the plat i sold the game straight away after. it would have been interesting if they did not name the 2018 game 'god of war', and the protaganist was someone else, whether it would have gotten 10/10. i get it wouldnt. the game would have been called, for which it actually is (and boring).

having watched the ragnorok trailer, i was hoping this would be better. but i see sony has doubled down. it looks like the same shit as 2018. same camera angle. same looking environments. same annoying boy who doesnt shuts up. i read in places the game can take 50hrs or so to complete - what the hell. so too long winded as well. then i see reviews sucking this game off and swallowing for good measure. 10/10!? are you serious?

it was at that point i felt the likes of IGN and others can no longer be trusted after giving them the bvenefit of the doubt over the years. i feel many reviewers are being paid or threatened to give perfect reviews to aid their sales. hopefully in time we might get some more balanced and fairer reviewers from actual players. i will go in with low expectations, and i will not buy it on day 1 - i cant afford it - i will wait for the price to go down. i might give it a few years to be honest. but i am not holding out much hope. but the hype surrounding it and how nearly everyone say its the best thing with sliced bread is getting insufferable, if i am honest.

to those who loved 2018 and are hyped about this one - thats fine, if you like it then you like it. but i thought i voice my own opinions on this matter from my experience playing the 2018. not all of us are hyped for it. in fact, i expect a double down.

sorry.

THANK YOU finally someone with the same opinion. The 10/10 ratings and the Hype for Ragnarok is so damn ridicoulious. I dont say it wont be a good game a surely will but come on the Hype is really way too much.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Removed drama/derail
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

pWs5lVN.jpg

Is this confirmed? It’s looking and sounding like the trophies will be very much in the same vein as the 2018 game and I’m totally down with that! ?

For me at least, I never want the game to just hand you the platinum on a platter, you do want to feel like you earned it. But with a hugely anticipated, highly immersive and cinematic experience like God of War, as a trophy hunter it’s really nice being able to just kinda put trophies in the backseat for once so you can just fully lose yourself in the epic adventure without having to think about trophies or consulting guides or potential spoilers and whatnot.

This seems to be the standard now with most of the major, blockbuster first party games and I’m all for it to be honest! 

3 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

sorry.

No need to apologize. While I couldn’t possibly disagree with you more, I don’t believe every game has to be for everyone, and I’ve had similar strong feelings about other hugely hyped games a couple times in the past that put me in the minority when it comes to opinions about it.

But I also can’t help but respect just how passionately you hate the game lmao, it feels like you channeled the rage of Kratos himself and unleashed it upon God of War 2018. It reminds me a bit of that guy who made the 38 reasons why Metro Exodus is a piece of shit thread and made me laugh out loud a couple times. I need to go back and read that one too. ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinselneo said:

Is the first one important to play before this one?

Definitely important (as already stated above by @The Investigator both games are designed as a single, continuous story) but not absolutely mandatory. The devs have integrated an introductory feature summarizing the main events of the 2018 game so anyone who hasn’t played it can get smoothly into the story anyway…

• Like 1