God of War: Ragnarök (November 9, 2022)

Ghost

40 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Furthermore, it's not like we are transitioning from 2D pixels to 3D graphics.

I'm sure developing a PS4 version won't hold the studio back from giving the PS5 better graphics, higher framerate and shorter/fewer loading times.

Sorry, I had to reply with this. People are starting to forget that SSD is supposed to change the way games are being designed.

I agree with the rest of the points, but it's also funny how the similarly giant install bases of PS3 or PS2 weren't really brought up as much during the transition into a new gen. And we all know the real reason - the PS3 architecture that would make cross-gen development a pain.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 2

I mean I don't own a PS5 yet because I do not have the mafia connections necessary to get one, but I still intend to get the PS5 version when it comes out just because I prefer to play the newer version of cross-platform games. But I am glad that the game will not suffer the fate of not being played at launch just because it would be locked behind new hardware that people don't have yet.

1 hour ago, Alderriz said:

People are starting to forget that SSD is supposed to change the way games are being designed.

I didn't. That's why I made that comparison between the Bifrost and a portal (à la Rift Apart).

I'm sure PlayStation Studios are more than capable of making the most of both versions of the game.

Let's not overvalue the SSD. Faster and fewer loading times are a major step forward but not all games need to have the player instantly jumping around from one world to another.

The PC Master Race also used to argue that consoles held back game development.

Let's not be like that and understand that bigger sales allow the development of exciting new technologies down the road.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior

49 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

I didn't. That's why I made that comparison between the Bifrost and a portal (à la Rift Apart).

It's not just about loadings and portals. It's also about the locations themselves. Less walls, fewer corridors, etc. It's level design.

But yeah, I'm not saying the difference would make people's jaws drop, open world games are already pretty advanced and detailed.

• Like 2

So much for The Last of Us 2 and Ghost being the final major releases of the PS4. 

I have to imagine the coding framework for the PS5 so closely mirrors the PS4 that it’s not a significant investment to put out both versions for this level of games.

• Like 1

Really good news that the game is coming to PS4. The majority of the PS community is still on PS4 so it wouldnt make sense to lock the game in the newer console. Lets not forget that GOW wasnt the best looking game on PS4, not even three years ago.

Edited by ValenTris7

What a bummer that it has been pushed to 2022. Was really hoping to have atleast 2 good games this year. 2021 is turning up to be a crappy year for gaming. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a late 2022 release as well.

Horizon is the only game to look forward to this year...

Edited by Quink666

I have a PS5, I'd rather these games come out just for the PS5 so they can incorporate technology that can't just be adjusted on sliders in an options menu to work on 8 year old hardware... but I'm fine with it coming out on PS4.  I'm glad that people who haven't been able to get a PS5 will still get to enjoy these games.

The people mocking the idea of generations and the PS5 "not" being a substantial leap forward because they're still catering to PS4 owners can go stuff themselves though.  You didn't find a loophole to avoid spending money on a new console, and no one has "woken up" in regards to the sustainability of the PS4.  These games should be PS5 exclusives, and as happy as I am more people will get to play them, they'd be better games without the PS4.  I'm tired of even the new PS5 games being glorified PS4 ports because people couldn't figure out how to scrounge up $500 for a console after 8 years.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Making a downgraded version of a game that was probably not initially intended to be on an older console isn't really going to effect the next-gen version all that much, imo.

Is it enough to delay it? Obviously, since I think this is a big reason as to why both this game and Gran Turismo 7 got delayed to begin with. 

(Seems similar to how the Wii U version of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild got delayed due to being ported to the Nintendo Switch last minute, albeit reversed)

But otherwise I don't think it'll have much effect on the next-gen versions themselves as far as how they take advantage of and use the PS5's hardware and features.

Instead it just means that the PS4 versions will have downgraded graphics, a lower and possibly less stable frame-rate, lesser or complete lack of certain features, etc.

Either way, I'm not surprised by this at all. So, while I'm disappointed that the game got delayed, I'm obviously not shocked or anything either.

As long as the developers aren't rushed or treated poorly, and the game comes out looking, running, and playing great, I'm happy.

I am a little annoyed with the lack of completely original PS5 exclusives, however. But given the current events, and the scarcity of the PS5, it's understandable.
(Plus, we've gotten Returnal already, and are getting Rift Apart later this month; both games having released within two months of each other, no less)

Edited by Zephrese

1 hour ago, ValenTris7 said:

Really good news that the game is coming to PS4. The majority of the PS community is still on PS4 so it wouldnt make sense to lock the game in the newer console. Lets not forget that GOW wasnt the best looking game on PS4, not even three years ago.

this has to be a troll post

52 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Yeah. Those filthy bastards.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to buy something... but twisting their frugality to mean the PS5 not being a worthwhile investment as the industry panders to them because of a pandemic/chip shortage is a special kind of BS.

I feel for the people who want a PS5 but can't get one, but the people trying to make an argument for holding back the PS5 just to save a few bucks can go screw.

Edited by Dreakon13