God of War: Ragnarök (November 9, 2022)

Ghost

Well, there's always some cross gen stuff for the first year or two. I'm not sure why so many people seemed to think it'll be different this time. The pandemic certainly didn't help matters and probably forced Sony to change course a bit. It won't be this way forever.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm tired of even the new PS5 games being glorified PS4 ports because people couldn't figure out how to scrounge up $500 for a console after 8 years.

exactly this! 

in some aspects, fine have a cross gen game. But these promised big releases were touted for ps5 like Horizon, GoW2, Spiderman, Ratchet... so far only Ratchet out of those 4 is exclusive.

Sure ps5 may be "hard to find", cause people arent wise with money. You have a hard time because of the pandemic? fine. But then those same people don't need to be buying new games all the time,  whether its a sale or not.

Honestly, like i knew over a year ahead ps5 was gonna release due to rumors, how Sony acted regarding some games, etc. So... i started saving money aside from my usual bank accounts. Turned out my "ps5 funds " ended up having a ton of money in it.

- - - - - 

and to whomever said 2021 has been a crap year for gaming, to each their own. Fall may be unknown but so far 2021 has had:

- Ys 9, Nioh Remastered collection, Persona 5 Strikers, Returnal, Mario 3D World/Bowsers Fury, Bravely Default II, Monster Hunter Rise, Outriders, Nier Replicant, Resident Evil Village,  Mass effect legendary edition.

and will have barring any delays:

- Ratchet Rift Apart, GG Strive, Scarlet Nexus, Disgaea 6, MH Stories 2, Pokemon D/P remake, Skyward Sword HD, No More Heroes 3, Deathloop, Tales of Arise, Lost Judgment, Far Cry 6, Back 4 Blood

and potentially Horizon FW, plus whatever else comes that isnt even announced. 

Soooo yes, there are SOME remakes, yes there are SOME cross gen games, but thats almost a given. Especially with Nintendo being a remaster/port fiend.

my point is, it isnt a crappy year for gaming. For me anyways.

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Well, there's always some cross gen stuff for the first year or two. I'm not sure why so many people seemed to think it'll be different this time. The pandemic certainly didn't help matters and probably forced Sony to change course a bit. It won't be this way forever.

you said it in much simpler terms than i lol.

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

exactly this! 

in some aspects, fine have a cross gen game. But these promised big releases were touted for ps5 like Horizon, GoW2, Spiderman, Ratchet... so far only Ratchet out of those 4 is exclusive.

Sure ps5 may be "hard to find", cause people arent wise with money. You have a hard time because of the pandemic? fine. But then those same people don't need to be buying new games all the time,  whether its a sale or not.

To clarify, I'm not intending to give anyone who struggled through the pandemic a hard time.  The people who want a PS5 and would get one if they could afford to, or could find one, I'm genuinely glad they'll get to play these great games.

But the people who NEVER intended to buy a PS5 this early in its life, who are taking advantage of the circumstances to ride the PS4 wave a little longer AND turning around and shitting on the advancements we're missing out on because of them.  Those are the people I'm talking about.  They should shut their mouths and just be grateful they're still in the game and can pinch their pennies a bit longer.

Cross-gen games are common in the first year or so of a console, but GoW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West are system sellers.  I have no doubt at least one or both would've been PS5 exclusives and better off for it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Gran Turismo 7, after all, was outright advertised as a PS5 exclusive in December, although to be fair to Sony, I understand the decision to release a PS4 version was made only fairly recently. For Horizon Forbidden West and God of War, however, these games were always intended to release as cross-gen titles, I was told, but Sony did not mention the last-gen console during the announcement of either title.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/opinion/forget-business-sense-sonys-cross-gen-u-turn-is-disappointing-for-ps5s-potential/

I’m not disappointed by it, and truthfully,  business-wise it makes sense.

Even in North America it’s hard to get your hands on a PS5, it is much much harder to get one in Europe, and also more harder in Southern countries there, not to mention that they decided to raise the price tag of games again, even though we pay more than NA, Canada etc already.

Making them PS5 only, would force them to renounce a big pile of sales, and it’s not like PS5 users waste a lot, you’ll still get your water graphics or whatever there, unless you really want me to believe that something  actually important, like gameplay has been scrapped and  re-made, to that I say, it’s Sony, don’t kid yourself.

I'm annoyed by people that keep bringing up the "We believe in generations" quote as if it's a giant lie from Sony, and "at least Microsoft was honest about cross gen".

"We believe in generations" never meant "We are going to immediately abandon PS4. Everything from now on is PS5 only." I always understood it as "We will have some PS5 exclusives." Which they have already done. And it was, I believe, said in response to Microsoft admitting they will have zero next-gen exclusives for the first couple of years. Sony has already given you 4, soon to be 5, PS5 exclusives. It wasn't a lie. Maybe misleading in the way that PR-speak is often misleading (which doesn't surprise me. Sony is a big company, not your best friend)

I can understand being disappointed that the next God of War (and Horizon/Gran Turismo) is cross-gen. There's a lot of potential for what could be done gameplay-wise in that series if it was PS5-only. The reality is, it takes time for new gameplay ideas to be designed and implemented. If you are very concerned about this, you should read this post from another forum by an actual game developer

Graphical improvements are the low hanging fruit of a new console generation, and they're the "easiest" to get a handle on when moving on to new hardware. But the real design shifts are still a few years out. Faster load times is seriously just scratching the surface, and Sony's studios are no doubt deep in "discovery mode" when it comes to developing for the PS5, and for games releasing in 2021 and 2022, they aren't going to be moving too far out of what has been established over this past console generation. That's just...not how this works. How any of this works...

God of War Ragnarok is going to blow people away, much like Horizon and Ratchet. Hell, all people can talk about is how gorgeous Rift Apart and Forbidden West are, and nary a peep is really being spoken about any paradigm shifting game design changes. Because we haven't gotten there yet, and we're still a few years out from that anyway, because IT TAKES TIME to rework generations of game design teaching and processes. Like, we've been trained to think of game design in a certain way, because up until recently, the tools at our disposal were made with that mentality in mind. Now we have access to tools that will, eventually, change the way we approach game design. We just aren't there yet, folks.

Personally, I am most excited to see the continuing story of Kratos & Atreus, no matter what platform(s) it's coming to. I'm sure it will look great and run great on my PS5. That's what's important to me. If you wanted to see this story unfold with totally new, never-before-possible gameplay, I hope you were also willing to wait an extra 3-4 years to see it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Can’t believe people actually believed they were abandoning ps4 so fast lol.. they’ve never done that to previous generations and never will. ?1f3fb.png‍♀️

It's not actually ''that fast''. We're talking about 2022, the PS5 will be 2 years old by then. That's like 35% into tha generation lifespan.

• Like 1

It's super lame that Sony are going to be releasing such big first party titles on PS4 all the way into 2022, two years after the release of the PS5. This essentially means games like the next God of War won't be truly "next gen" since they have to be designed with the ancient PS4 hardware in mind. As others have pointed out, it's not just a matter of better resolution/frame rate, but also how these games are designed. A good example of that is the dimension hopping in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. It's a mechanic that's only made possible thanks to the ultra fast SSD in the PS5, so making a PS4 version wouldn't be as simple as lowering the resolution and paring back the graphics. The PS4's HDD just isn't capable of loading data that quick. The next God of War will be held back by the very nature of it being a cross gen title, of that I have no doubt.

I don't get the whole argument about Sony not wanting to "abandon" the PS4 install base or whatever. I don't remember this being an issue for previous console generations. I mean the PS5 is outselling the PS4 during the same time frame even despite the stock shortages, isn't it? I don't even own a PS5 (nor am I desperate to get one anytime soon), but I wouldn't be annoyed that I couldn't play a 2022 game on my 2013 hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

It's super lame that Sony are going to be releasing such big first party titles on PS4 all the way into 2022, two years after the release of the PS5. This essentially means games like the next God of War won't be truly "next gen" since they have to be designed with the ancient PS4 hardware in mind. As others have pointed out, it's not just a matter of better resolution/frame rate, but also how these games are designed. A good example of that is the dimension hopping in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. It's a mechanic that's only made possible thanks to the ultra fast SSD in the PS5, so making a PS4 version wouldn't be as simple as lowering the resolution and paring back the graphics. The PS4's HDD just isn't capable of loading data that quick. The next God of War will be held back by the very nature of it being a cross gen title, of that I have no doubt.

I don't get the whole argument about Sony not wanting to "abandon" the PS4 install base or whatever. I don't remember this being an issue for previous console generations. I mean the PS5 is outselling the PS4 during the same time frame even despite the stock shortages, isn't it? I don't even own a PS5 (nor am I desperate to get one anytime soon), but I wouldn't be annoyed that I couldn't play a 2022 game on my 2013 hardware.

i hope they focus more on the ps5 one first due to ps5 having a more powerful graphic card, i cant tell a difference between ports between ps4 and 5, wish they focus more on the true power of the ps5

5 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

I truly understand people wanting games that take full advantage of their new hardware but man...

...some of this PS5 owners really sound like elitist jerks.

As a PS5 owner i kinda have to agree. This way everyone get to experience what will almost certainly be an epic game. Just wish it came out in 2021. The PS5 version will still have improvements so i don't know what all the fuss is about really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

I truly understand people wanting games that take full advantage of their new hardware but man...

...some of this PS5 owners really sound like elitist jerks.

I disagree. It's not like PS5 owners don't want people without a PS5 to play the game (that would be elitism), it's just that they want it to be a trully next gen title not held back by an older hardware made almost 10 years ago. It's a totally comprehensible complaint.

All in all, it's still gonna be a sick game regardless, BUT I have no doubt it would be better and take more advantage of the PS5 hardware had it not been released to the PS4 in the first place. It's really got nothing to do with elitism the way I see it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AlphaExGAT said:

The crazy thing to me is that they may not ever make a proper God of War game for the PS5 with the vision Cerny talked about. Same thing with Horizon.

I think the third game for both titles will be exclusive to PS5 as their both planned as a trilogy.