God of War: Ragnarök (November 9, 2022)

Ghost

Examining the uploaded version and even with YouTube compression I can pick out some details that look better than the 2018 game. Let's also not forget that its predecessor was one of the best-looking games of the PS4 generation so it already had that going for it anyway, but environments, character details (clothing) and particle effects during the combat look like improvements that wouldn't have come across well in the even more compressed stream. Obviously it wasn't going to be a massive leap due to the cross-gen nature, but I would say putting the PS5 version side by side with the 2018 game would yield some very interesting results, like comparing Spider-Man on PS4 to the PS5 version of Miles Morales. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Also wtf, Thor basically is a joke then? Hype at the end of GoW 2018, to probably die early on in GoW 2022? Well if he looks like dadbod Thor then yeah, kill him. Lol.

How is he a joke? GoW 18 described him as a vile, boisterous swine both in appearance and behaviour throughout; perfectly befitting of the image released today. 

I love it, he’s just like the kings of old that would feast all day before skewering animals for fun. Think Henry VIII or Robert Baratheon. Also it’s apparently much closer to being ‘lore-accurate’ than Marvel’s Thor. 

On top of that, he still looks as strong as an ox. Literally your average World’s Strongest Man competitor 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MrFudge said:

How is he a joke? GoW 18 described him as a vile, boisterous swine both in appearance and behaviour throughout; perfectly befitting of the image released today. 

I love it, he’s just like the kings of old that would feast all day before skewering animals for fun. Think Henry VIII or Robert Baratheon. Also it’s apparently much closer to being ‘lore-accurate’ than Marvel’s Thor. 

On top of that, he still looks as strong as an ox. Literally your average World’s Strongest Man competitor 

i unno. Just not feeling his design.

Wasn't too impressed with the first one and this doesn't do it for me either. The old ones were vastly more expansive with gameplay and story. I might be proven wrong and they can improve on the combat from the last one, I'm still willing to give it a chance if it turns out good.

Not sure if I like Thor's design tough, cause all I can think of is Fat Thor in Endgame. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Wasn't too impressed with the first one and this doesn't do it for me either. The old ones were vastly more expansive with gameplay and story. I might be proven wrong and they can improve on the combat from the last one, I'm still willing to give it a chance if it turns out good.

Not sure if I like Thor's design tough, cause all I can think of is Fat Thor in Endgame. 

It's just a dlc skin, and the same enemies, no gore or brutality like god of war 3... and yeah fat thor, people thinks that there are no clowns in soyny right now, but playstation it's a circus, and let's wait for horizon 2 story to see what they do with the redhead

Edited by TheAbyssWalker61
  • Like 1

It kinda looks like content that should have been in the first game.

Let's face it, when you complete the first game, you think "Wow is that it?" and then the rest of the collectibles and killing the Valkyries is the other 90% of the game.

I like seeing "boy" looking taller and older this time around, trouble is. Not one single huge boss in the trailer, so looks like combat is with tiny enemies again.

Sure, I haven't played this game yet, but it looks so similar to the previous one, with all the snow and fighting of the enemies, we all pretty much know what sort of game we are in for.

I want tons of insane over the top bosses like in GOW3. I don't think GOW3 can be topped, this new God Of War while great, it's just a different game series now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

It kinda looks like content that should have been in the first game.

Let's face it, when you complete the first game, you think "Wow is that it?" and then the rest of the collectibles and killing the Valkyries is the other 90% of the game.

I like seeing "boy" looking taller and older this time around, trouble is. Not one single huge boss in the trailer, so looks like combat is with tiny enemies again.

Sure, I haven't played this game yet, but it looks so similar to the previous one, with all the snow and fighting of the enemies, we all pretty much know what sort of game we are in for.

I want tons of insane over the top bosses like in GOW3. I don't think GOW3 can be topped, this new God Of War while great, it's just a different game series now.

The story of one Viking

We already have a viking game which is Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Strangely enough, I already found a number of comparisons between Valhalla and God of War 2018.

I'm going to sound like a downer, like I usually am, but I'm not particularly impressed with what I've seen so far. God of War is fully digging the Thor theme, much like Assassin's Creed Valhalla which had me drawing comparisons. Sony exclusives have basically gone full steam with the Uncharted 4 approach. Make everything realistic, push the gameplay to the backburner while the story becomes top priority. I feel this is something Sony has been doing since The Last of Us. Everybody I talked to who has the platinum in that game has said they loved the story. Gameplay wise, I didn't think it was anything all that great. Played thru the story once and I saw the gameplay as meh.

This new God of War game is going the same path as The Last of Us Part II. If the trophy list is anything like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, then this is going to be an extremely easy trophy list where you don't even have to get all the collectibles. I'll bet everything that the trophy list will just require you to get a few collectibles as opposed to getting all of Odin's Ravens like God of War 2018 had you doing.

It's not exactly pushing the bar. The jump from God of War 2 to God of War 3 was HUGE, I was really impressed with what Sony Santa Monica were able to pull off back then. The older games focused on the gameplay first and foremost, with the story being second place. All of these new AAA games are going in the same direction. Have super realistic looking graphics, make everything accessible so even kids could easily play them, and offer disappointing, easy trophy lists.

I say this as someone who has been a God of War fan since 2005, when the original game came out. Maybe I will be surprised, but I'm not too hopeful for the time being.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

We already have a viking game which is Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Strangely enough, I already found a number of comparisons between Valhalla and God of War 2018.

I'm going to sound like a downer, like I usually am, but I'm not particularly impressed with what I've seen so far. God of War is fully digging the Thor theme, much like Assassin's Creed Valhalla which had me drawing comparisons. Sony exclusives have basically gone full steam with the Uncharted 4 approach. Make everything realistic, push the gameplay to the backburner while the story becomes top priority. I feel this is something Sony has been doing since The Last of Us. Everybody I talked to who has the platinum in that game has said they loved the story. Gameplay wise, I didn't think it was anything all that great. Played thru the story once and I saw the gameplay as meh.

This new God of War game is going the same path as The Last of Us Part II. If the trophy list is anything like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, then this is going to be an extremely easy trophy list where you don't even have to get all the collectibles. I'll bet everything that the trophy list will just require you to get a few collectibles as opposed to getting all of Odin's Ravens like God of War 2018 had you doing.

It's not exactly pushing the bar. The jump from God of War 2 to God of War 3 was HUGE, I was really impressed with what Sony Santa Monica were able to pull off back then. The older games focused on the gameplay first and foremost, with the story being second place. All of these new AAA games are going in the same direction. Have super realistic looking graphics, make everything accessible so even kids could easily play them, and offer disappointing, easy trophy lists.

I say this as someone who has been a God of War fan since 2005, when the original game came out. Maybe I will be surprised, but I'm not too hopeful for the time being.

Gow3 is best in the series. Have a lot of bosses and unreal graphics in 2010

• Like 1

I do like that the world feels more alive, it seems you visit some settlements, get to meet more people, I always felt the 1st game was lacking in this aspect. Story wise it's hard to judge just from a trailer, but I hope the father-son arc that happened in the 1st game is not just erased, and we just rehash the same themes and arcs, that would be poor writing.

One of my favorite parts of God of War were the Valkyrie battles and I hope that we will have a good replacement for them. And I do hope we get more boss variety, that was a major complaint from most people in the 1st game, so I imagine they worked on that. Combat wise it looks more of the same with some new upgrades ofc, what one would expect and since I liked the combat, I don't mind.

Also some people need to read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, a faithful retelling of the norse myths, when I first played God of war I was glad they went this route with the lore and the portrayal of the norse gods.

Overall, I am really looking forward to this one after watching the trailer, I loved the 1st one even if it had its flaws, but I feel it will be pretty hard for them to mess this one up.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, milanbarca82 said:

The girl's outfit is kind of Egyptian, reminds me of AC: Origins.
With them confirming the end of the Norse saga, does this mean it's Egyptian Gods next?

Don't know what Angrboda has to do with Egypt, but it would be a cool twist.

Edited by Ptirle

Will no doubt be another excellent exclusive from Sony just like the first one. If they can add more weapons and boss fights like the og games we'll have the perfect God of War in our hands forsure.  

It obviously looks similar to the last one as it's a sequel to a series that just got rebooted. I don't see what more they can do without it deviating too far from what it's supposed to be. The same thing can be said for the og games as well there wasn't any significant changes to the formula between each of the games really.

Edited by BrandedBerserk

I just want to know how Kratos came back to life, how he travelled from Greece to Norway and how he met his wife. There are years of stories Santa Monica Studio haven't told us yet and it would be a pity if there is just a new status quo without any further explanation.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheAbyssWalker61 said:

Gross event, gross game, looks like God of War 1 honestly... and the final sequence of the trailer what a joke has become sony, well i'm not passing this woke of war until they have an excuse to put characters where don't belong, but for the moment no PS5, insomiac games it's now the developer of marvel, we can say goodbye to a new Resistance.

I'm sad, gaming it's not enjoyable anymore, guess i have to stuck on switch

Lmao you guys are so obsessed, thank goodness that cesspit of OAG "went broke" last year.