Jim Ryans Clarifies: 99% of PS4 Titles Will Work on the PS5

Aranea Highwind

Okay, this is reassuring to some extent, but I would also like to know what games aren't going to be playable on PS5. I doubt they would do this, but they *should* publish a list of the games not compatible with the system. I imagine this will be left up to the community to figure out though. I'm in no rush to buy a PS5 and will be keeping my PS4 around until I know if my game collection will be affected or not.

Also, what about the PS2 classics on PS4? Will they be playable?

17 minutes ago, SteveCheraLouis said:

in my opinion I belive the 1% is probably all tjhe EA and 2K sports games. Then again I dont know how they backward system is working.

They already said all the PS4 CPU and GPU function is physically in the PS5 architecture. It wouldn’t be arbitrarily limited to certain publishers to be excluded. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Okay, this is reassuring to some extent, but I would also like to know what games aren't going to be playable on PS5. I doubt they would do this, but they *should* publish a list of the games not compatible with the system. I imagine this will be left up to the community to figure out though. I'm in no rush to buy a PS5 and will be keeping my PS4 around until I know if my game collection will be affected or not.

Also, what about the PS2 classics on PS4? Will they be playable?

Yeah, I am wondering about the PS2 to PS4 games also. I have quite a few of them that I haven't played yet and my plan was to trade my PS4 in towards a PS5 if all the games I own on PS4 is playable on PS5.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

If I had to guess, the 1% will probably be games that require certain accessories to function (minus the PSVR) such as Guitar Hero Live or Rock Band 4.

I'd expect there'll probably be a comparability list out around console release, hopefully it won't be as confusing as the PSTV again.

Harmonix is working on trying to get RB4 ported to PS5. They are an indie company now so they really can't afford making a new game for it not to do that great again. (peripherals are too costly too..)

This was said on their discord:

We're currently testing RB4's next-gen compatibility. Not being in the office and having literally dozens of very specific hardware configs to test has slowed this a bit, but the end goal is to have an answer before the consoles release (whenever that is). Our hope is that "everything just works" day 1. When we have some more data, we'll make a formal announcement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I’m betting the 1% is just to CYA. Some developers would had to use come really convoluted code for it not to run on PS5. It’s probably not going to be an actual 1% of PS4 titles. 

It'll probably be less than 1%. At least that's what I like to think. Maybe the 1% might include games that are on both PS4 and PS5. Since Sony may assume you'd rather have the PS5 version, they might not bother testing the PS4 one.

An Ubisoft support page once said something about PS5 not being compatible with any PS console prior to PS4. They removed that claim... maybe it turns out to be false? Full BC would be nice. Sony probably could put emulators for PS1, 2, and 3 in PS5's firmware. I think PS5 should be able to handle emulating PS3 and anything below.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I think PS5 should be able to handle emulating PS3 and anything below.

While I’d love for that to be the case, emulating PS3 reliably and consistently for all PS3 titles is not possible on PS5 hardware at this point.

And I’d be surprised if it’s more than 30-40 PS4 titles total that won’t run on PS5. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

While I’d love for that to be the case, emulating PS3 reliably and consistently for all PS3 titles is not possible on PS5 hardware at this point.

And I’d be surprised if it’s more than 30-40 PS4 titles total that won’t run on PS5. 

FWIW, their testing might have been 100% successful but since they had no chance to test every single game in every single scenario, they simply settled with "99%" which makes perfect sense too.

Only time will tell but I'm not worried about this at all.

• Like 4