Jim Ryans Clarifies: 99% of PS4 Titles Will Work on the PS5

Aranea Highwind

i am curious on file sizes for ps5 games and ps4. i know ps5 is 825GB so after system stuff maybe 750GB free. SSD runs faster and i know they (Sony) are able to compress files better, so i wonder what it'll be. 

Like would GTA V, RDR2, FF7R, still all clock in over 100GB OR MORE?

Also external hardware or internal. SSD are much more pricey than HDD.

i want minimum 2TB, max 8TB.

(also in Canada so if anyone looks for deals please find Canada haha)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

i am curious on file sizes for ps5 games and ps4. i know ps5 is 825GB so after system stuff maybe 750GB free. SSD runs faster and i know they (Sony) are able to compress files better, so i wonder what it'll be. 

They say there will be much smaller file sizes due to a lack of duplication (something to do with how the SSD and software can track and and more quickly access data) plus better compression techniques. It will also be far faster to remove and re-download software anyway. Personally I never maxed my launch 500Gb PS4 because I remove games after I’ve finished them anyway.

1 hour ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

FF7R is not "over" 100GB. It's 91.

This is amazing news! I was expecting way less PS4 games working on the PS5.
This means that their way of emulation must be nearly perfect.
The only question is if they will let us try this emulation with any PS4 game or it will work only with games that they have already tested and confirmed.

I guess part of that 1% non working games will be games that had problem with the PS4 Pro boost mode.

When the PS4 Pro boost mode came out, Sony explained that, some games have the physics or game speed or something else tied to  CPU clock speeds and if they run it with higher clocks, that will break the game. This is a very old game programming technique, so almost no one is using it anymore, only some very old games or indie games with extremely low budget have this i think.
There might be some other reasons too tho, why some PS4 games wont work.
But still, if 99% of games will work on launch, that will be amazing.

43 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It's not emulation, the Developer address explained the PS4 functionality is physically in the PS5 hardware.

It is still called emulation, yes Mark Cery said that AMD worked for years to put all the PS4 functionality and logic into the new PS5 hardware, however most of that fuctionality is achieved by emulation built into the hardware. There are many different type of emulations, in a sense the PS4 Pro also emulated the original PS4 to run games made before the Pro.
Im a 100% sure that the PS5 is using a mix of hardware and software emulation to run PS4 games, without any kind of emulation it could only run the games if it had the original PS4 hardware built in, which is not the case. (They did that with the first model of the PS3, it had the original PS2 hardware inside)

1 hour ago, VigilantCrow said:

Pretty disappointed with this obsession with backwards compatibility. Seems like a waste of resources, wonder how much it overall affected the pricing point of the PS5.

I think that backwards compatibility had zero impact on the PS5 price point.
Im sure that Sony spent a lot of money to make backwards compatibility possible, however its was only a one time cost, it doesnt make the manufacturing process of the PS5 any higher.
And they can easily make back the money they spent by selling the thousands of PS4 games on the PS5 store. There is still a market for old games, they are much cheaper compared to new releases and a lot of people missed out on them.

• Like 3

Their entire communication over backwards compatibility has been fucking garbage. 

Will all of these games be compatible at launch or will we have to wait as they become compatible? 

Will games receive enhancements/upgrades? On Xbox Series X all Xbox One games will get 4K upscaling and other improvements. Is that the same with the PS5 or will they just run like they did on the PS4 with no improvements? 

How will delisted games like PT work? 

Will save files carry over? 

What about PS1-PS3 games? 

Can you store PS4 games on external HDD like on Xbox or will they have to take up space on your SSD?

Will you need to rebuy your games? Like how people who bought Spider-Man on PS4 will have to buy it again on PS5? 

The console is available to preorder and yet we still know next to nothing about BC. This is stuff that we should have been told by now. There are so many questions and ambiguous things that they refuse to clarify. Just tell us exactly how it's gonna fucking work ffs. 

Edited by Azaan60
  • Like 1

This coming from a guy who does not have a clue what a console is, is really reassuring.

By saying that 99% of PS5 games will run, yes I can believe that. Problem is what that truly means. I'm 100% sure that their testing consisted of launching the game and press a few buttons for 1 minute. If it did not crash, yes it's 100% alright. This is how they will test things anyway. Microsoft does have the edge that they've been emulating older consoles for a longer time, so they'll have fewer issues, but even for them it takes sometime for this to run smoothly.

The PS5 uses the same core processor technology, so game code will run without emulation. Problem is graphics, sound, network and input (gamepad) that will surely have to be emulated as it's different chips and different technologies. Anyone expecting this to work without issues at launch is extremely naive. If it works nicely in 1 year after a ton of updates it will still be awesome. The complexity is huge and you should not expect any game developers to make any changes to their games to acknowledge the PS5, as it's simply not economically viable and they won't give a shit.  Neither will Sony unless it's a game that a ton of console owners play. Yes you'll be paying 499 something to be a beta tester, don't expect anything else. It's how the electronics world function these days anyway.

This is as true as the PS5 exclusives, which after all seem to be PS4 games too. Nothing unexpected, no PS5 game will be profitable for a while unless it's a simple port from another console (PS4 for instance). Introducing a new console that has backward compatibility does have its plus and minuses.

44 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

How will delisted games like PT work? 

Will save files carry over? 

Can you store PS4 games on external HDD like on Xbox or will they have to take up space on your SSD?

Will you need to rebuy your games? Like how people who bought Spider-Man on PS4 will have to buy it again on PS5?

- P.T. is a very rare case where they literally physically removed the files from their servers, the other delisted games are still in our accounts

- Hopefully via Cloud saving or simply with a USB stick

- No info as of today (probably not)

- Same as above

- Of course not. It's the purpose of the backwards compatibility in a digital environment. Games like Spider-Man will get free/paid graphic upgrades

Edited by Lance_87

@Azaan60 @Lance_87

According to GamesRadar, you can run PS4 games from an external drive. But if you want to enjoy the benefits of the built-in SSD, obviously, you'll need to install the PS4 games on that instead.

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-ssd/

PS5 will support USB external hard drives, but it will only be able to use these drives to play PS4 games through backwards compatibility. You'll also be able to copy PS4 games directly to the PS5's built-in SSD to improve loading times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peffsi said:

@Azaan60 @Lance_87

According to GamesRadar, you can run PS4 games from an external drive. But if you want to enjoy the benefits of the built-in SSD, obviously, you'll need to install the PS4 games on that instead.

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-ssd/

Ah good to know, i never ever used a SSD on a console in my entire life.

1 hour ago, gabor434 said:

It is still called emulation, yes Mark Cery said that AMD worked for years to put all the PS4 functionality and logic into the new PS5 hardware, however most of that fuctionality is achieved by emulation built into the hardware. There are many different type of emulations, in a sense the PS4 Pro also emulated the original PS4 to run games made before the Pro.
Im a 100% sure that the PS5 is using a mix of hardware and software emulation to run PS4 games, without any kind of emulation it could only run the games if it had the original PS4 hardware built in, which is not the case. (They did that with the first model of the PS3, it had the original PS2 hardware inside)

I think that backwards compatibility had zero impact on the PS5 price point.
Im sure that Sony spent a lot of money to make backwards compatibility possible, however its was only a one time cost, it doesnt make the manufacturing process of the PS5 any higher.
And they can easily make back the money they spent by selling the thousands of PS4 games on the PS5 store. There is still a market for old games, they are much cheaper compared to new releases and a lot of people missed out on them.

i think backward compatibility is good for many who switch from xbox to ps. thinking about it as you said games for ps4 generally are cheaper. So you are able to pick uo a new ps5 and a handful of cheap games and play them. Or not worry about your ps4 backlog and only having 1 or 2 ps5 games at launch and able to go back to ps4 games.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

i think backward compatibility is good for many who switch from xbox to ps. thinking about it as you said games for ps4 generally are cheaper. So you are able to pick uo a new ps5 and a handful of cheap games and play them. Or not worry about your ps4 backlog and only having 1 or 2 ps5 games at launch and able to go back to ps4 games.

Yes exactly! That new PS+ future that they showed off could also help players that never played on playstation before to get all the big PS4 games for really cheap and play them on their new PS5.
Having a huge PS4 libary  available on the PS5 also helps console sales, in past gens a lot of people waited a few years to switch to next gen, because there was only a limited amount of games available on launch. Developing new games can take many years after all. But now this is not a problem, because even if you beat all the new games, you can just go to the PS Store and browse from a huge libary and maybe find a game that you have missed or you can just download a game that you really liked playing on your PS4 and replay it.
There are a bunch of good games that worth a replay, i personally plan to replay The Witcher 3 on PS5, its gonna get a free graphics upgrade too. :)

• Like 1

I'll probably use the SSD for PS5 games only. I'm using an external HDD on my PS4 Pro, and will just move it over to the PS5 to keep using it for PS4 games.

10 hours ago, DaivRules said:

While I’d love for that to be the case, emulating PS3 reliably and consistently for all PS3 titles is not possible on PS5 hardware at this point.

I can see why. The Cell processor's complexity would make writing a PS3 emulator a nontrivial task. A brute force approach may not be enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Azaan60 said:

Nope, not backwards compatible with PS1-PS3 according to jim ryan

https://www.siliconera.com/jim-ryan-ps5-no-backwards-compatibility-with-ps3-and-older-games/

Famitsu: We were also surprised when we heard that it will have 99% compatibility with PS4 titles. By the way, will there be compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles?

Jim Ryan: We keep in mind the engineering specialized for the PS5, as we produced the device. In the midst of that, the PS4 already has 100 million players; we thought they ought to want to play PS4 titles on the PS5 as well indeed, so we included compatibility with the PS4. While implementing that, we also focused our efforts on taking in the high-speed SSD and the new controller DualSense at the same time. So, unfortunately, we couldn’t reach the implementation of such compatibilities.

Edited by SnowxSakura

7 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Nope, not backwards compatible with PS1-PS3 according to jim ryan

https://www.siliconera.com/jim-ryan-ps5-no-backwards-compatibility-with-ps3-and-older-games/

Famitsu: We were also surprised when we heard that it will have 99% compatibility with PS4 titles. By the way, will there be compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles?

Jim Ryan: We keep in mind the engineering specialized for the PS5, as we produced the device. In the midst of that, the PS4 already has 100 million players; we thought they ought to want to play PS4 titles on the PS5 as well indeed, so we included compatibility with the PS4. While implementing that, we also focused our efforts on taking in the high-speed SSD and the new controller DualSense at the same time. So, unfortunately, we couldn’t reach the implementation of such compatibilities.

Maybe Sony could work on PS1 - PS3 backwards compatibility in the future and then release a console update or something so the PS5 now can.