Ps5 Game Price dont make sense

Maaden_Swe

Playstation blog released a weird list of prices, where the dollar prices are 10 below the euro. Usually the other way around. If thats true the american market get the games alot cheaper compared to europe. 

• Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
  • Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/CAD$89.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
  • Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/CAD$89.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/CAD$64.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/CAD$89.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
  • Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/CAD$79.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)

13 hours ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

The prices are way too high, demon souls £70? Spiderman expansion £52? Too much

The cheapest place I've managed to find Spiderman is £47 on Simply Games, for the PS4 version. I really hope games aren't actually going to be £70 for the PS5, I'm still used to paying around £40-50 for brand new AAA games. £20-30 more is way too much of a price increase. If this actually ends up being the case, I'm seeing myself waiting for games to drop in price a lot more often, unless it's something niche that might actually increase with price as time goes on.

• Like 2

Prices for games are nuts here as well - with current exchange rates it's about 75 EUR/90 USD for Demon's Souls/Destruction All Stars. Which is quite pricey I must say, especially with our wages being quite lower compared to rest of Europe. There are going to be only couple games I will get on launch and then it's gonna be waiting for sales.

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

The cheapest place I've managed to find Spiderman is £47 on Simply Games, for the PS4 version. I really hope games aren't actually going to be £70 for the PS5, I'm still used to paying around £40-50 for brand new AAA games. £20-30 more is way too much of a price increase. If this actually ends up being the case, I'm seeing myself waiting for games to drop in price a lot more often, unless it's something niche that might actually increase with price as time goes on.

Yeah those prices are a lot, guess we'll be sticking to PS plus during launch and waiting for those game prices to go down.

Yeah, the price increase is BS.

Yes, the standard price has been $60 for a very long time, but game companies make plenty of money selling DLC and microtransactions. The price increase is completely unwarranted unless it is a purely single-player game with zero DLC, microtransactions, and is adequately lengthed (20+ hrs)

From the way this generation ended with f2p games succeeding so much, I actually assumed more games would consider the f2 p model. This price increase just makes them look even better which is counter productive.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Video game prices are supposed to stay the same forever even when the price of goods everywhere is much higher than it was in the past (inflation). And the salaries of the people making the games. Mmmkay

While i agree with your general argument of inflation and salaries, i think there is one key factor we like to miss: playstation 4 and xbox one have a huuuge hardware base now, somethink like 150-170 million consoles worldwide. so more people are likely to buy the games for these. and they are not vanishing into thin air the moment ps5 and xsx are hitting the shelves. for me the publisher are seeing the generation change as a chance to simply make more profit.

Edited by WreckItPhil

the real travesty is people buying the all digital edition and still having to pay $69.99 for a game. no manufacturing costs for the discs, no shipping costs, no cut from the retailer... this is why i pre ordered the disc version. used physical on ebay will always be cheaper, trading games with real life friends is even better and being able to resell it recouping a good percentage of what i paid is the way to go.

Edited by EightBitArtist
  • Like 1

So you mean to tell me that when you Americans were going on about $60 being the standard, you were actually paying $70-$80 when you got to checkout cause of tax? If that is the case then the price jump in the UK makes more sense (I suppose) but going from £50 to £70 is mental.

Also £70 for a fucking remake (Demon's Souls) is absolutely mind blowing. Since when do remakes launch at full price? Who the fuck is paying that? The game is still perfectly playable on PS3, it's only 10 years old!

EDIT: So I just did some googling and as far as a I can see US sales tax only amounts to 7% so at most it's adding $5 to the total cost. Currently $65 amounts to £50 which is what games launch at here (physical and NOT from Game). So where the fuck has the exchange rate gone with these new prices? 

Am I fucking losing my mind here? How is this okay? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. And holy shit do I want to be wrong.

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 1

Yeah, if new games that cost 60 now will cost me 80 euros (which is almost 95 american $), that would be just ridiculous, especially since in EU there is a huge disparity among countries when it comes to incomes.

Once again the consumers are their own biggest enemy, actually thinking this is justified when games are infested with season passes, microtransactions etc. And one of the companies that is pushing the increase in price is 2k, one of the worst when it comes to microtransactions.

Nothing changed. PS 4: 70 Euro/ 60 Dollar.

PS 5: 80 Euro/ 70 Dollar.

So what do you mean?

On ‎17‎.‎09‎.‎2020 at 11:33 AM, Maaden_Swe said:

Playstation blog released a weird list of prices, where the dollar prices are 10 below the euro. Usually the other way around. If thats true the american market get the games alot cheaper compared to europe. 

Edited by Sikutai

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

Video game prices are supposed to stay the same forever even when the price of goods everywhere is much higher than it was in the past (inflation).

Sarcasm detected. If only nation wide wages had increased at the same rate. Sadly, minimum wage sits at the same place it was in 2009. Mmmkay.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 5:40 AM, HusKy said:

US prices are without tax, but the price jump is still pretty darn big.

I agree. Maybe, if they made a smaller increase it would not be as upsetting. Bump it up from $59.99 to $64.99. I understand why they are doing it but it still dosen't sit well.

It just means that I will be a little less likely to buy games on day one release. I will just wait until I can find a good deal on it. 

3 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Sarcasm detected. If only nation wide wages had increased at the same rate. Sadly, minimum wage sits at the same place it was in 2009. Mmmkay.

Exactly! I am glad I was not the only one who thought about that when I read the post. 

• Like 3