Ps5 Game Price dont make sense

Maaden_Swe

Games in Australia used to be $70-80 at the cheapest retailer. Now every damn retailer in here sells the PS5 games for $125. I mean the Miles Morales standalone DLC costs $95 for crying out loud. For my Kiwi fellas games are now $140! I feel like I'm dreaming lol. The issue isn't that I can't afford the new prices, it's that the increase seems too much in one go.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Sarcasm detected. If only nation wide wages had increased at the same rate. Sadly, minimum wage sits at the same place it was in 2009. Mmmkay.

My State increased the minimum wage on Jan 1, 2020. Half the States in the US have higher minimum wages than what the Federal Laws says.

Do you expect a global company to set the prices for their products based off the lowest possible wage? That is absurd thinking especially when it is agreed that video games are a luxury and not a necessity. 

Edited by TJ_Solo

3 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

My State increase the minimum wage on Jan 1, 2020. Half the States in the US have higher minimum wages than what the Federal Laws says.

I guess I'm lucky to live in a state that has no mandated minimum wage. Without increased wages, I'm gonna make a terrible consumer.

1 minute ago, Helyx said:

I guess I'm lucky to live in a state that has no mandated minimum wage. Without increased wages, I'm gonna make a terrible consumer.

WTH are you talking about? Mandated minimum wages mean that's the lowest any employer can pay employees and in most cases that just covers people with no skills or education. Educated, skilled people make well more than the State or Federal minimum. 

What the F is going on with this place...

• Like 1

Looking at the price of games is pointless unless you put this in perspective with the time you’re going to spend on it. And I sure rather invest 80€ in a game that will entertain me for dozens of hours than spending 12€ in a theatre movie...

Such an increase was inevitable in my opinion. You can’t expect new generation games to become endlessly more beautiful, more complex, more innovative and yet have no impact of the development costs.

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

Sarcasm detected. If only nation wide wages had increased at the same rate. Sadly, minimum wage sits at the same place it was in 2009. Mmmkay.

Wages have gone up substantially across the board since 2009.  

If you are on minimum wage, you have probably much bigger concerns than gaming.  It is a state by state thing.  The minimum wage in California is being increased to $15.

Sony are being Slimey. in us disk version costs 499 in uk it costs 449. thats due to currency exchange rates. you notice how they COMPLETELY OMIT uk from the advertised prices. demons souls is 70 usd and 70 gbp. fuckin morons can't even count. this is just blatant greed it's not even like they're taking that much of a loss per console, hell right now the ps4 pro is still selling for fucking loads and costs less then half for them to manufacture leading to around 128% profit made.

in a pandemic and they're at their worst. for the players, I guess.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, djb5f said:

Wages have gone up substantially across the board since 2009.  

If you are on minimum wage, you have probably much bigger concerns than gaming.  

Taking inflation into account, the income is ~30% lower than comparable wages in the 1930s.

7 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

WTH are you talking about?

South Carolina 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know that a lot of people make US accounts (and other regions) to buy games for cheap even though they live in another country. If they don't get charged tax by Sony, and also don't pay it themselves voluntarily  (which I doubt they do), doesn't that make this a massive tax evasion scandal?

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't taxes (e.g. VAT in the UK) be paid in the country where the customer purchased the item? I've heard about corporate tax being dodged easily, but never VAT.

And as an internal matter for Sony, they must have an impression of the US market being bigger than it actually is because many of their 'US customers' don't even live there.

On 18/9/2020 at 4:55 PM, jonesey46 said:

So you mean to tell me that when you Americans were going on about $60 being the standard, you were actually paying $70-$80 when you got to checkout cause of tax? If that is the case then the price jump in the UK makes more sense (I suppose) but going from £50 to £70 is mental.

Also £70 for a fucking remake (Demon's Souls) is absolutely mind blowing. Since when do remakes launch at full price? Who the fuck is paying that? The game is still perfectly playable on PS3, it's only 10 years old!

EDIT: So I just did some googling and as far as a I can see US sales tax only amounts to 7% so at most it's adding $5 to the total cost. Currently $65 amounts to £50 which is what games launch at here (physical and NOT from Game). So where the fuck has the exchange rate gone with these new prices? 

Am I fucking losing my mind here? How is this okay? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. And holy shit do I want to be wrong.

Not all places in America pay taxes after buying a game, it depends state by state, for example, I pay no tax  when, errrr I go to White Springs Florida,  and have a Playstation  there, yes.

I knew ever since they decided to raise the price of games they would pull this same shit in Europe, even though an Euro is worth more than a Dollar.

And all the people saying that it was time they raised the price due to "inflation", watch how quick their arguments disappear once we factor in  the medium income of places around the world, a person living in Naples (Italian one)  has to pay more (even digital) than one living in California.

What a fucking joke.

By the way, regarding the vat tax, I bought stuff on Italy (Naples),  England (London), New York and Florida, and I can tell you that the vat tax isn't added on the price shown, you'll get a notification about x number took from the tax after the  amount spent (you'll be blocked if your wallet can't pay game+tax ofc), so the 80 euros you see (90 american dollars) aren't part of the tax.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 18.09.2020 at 2:34 PM, djb5f said:

Video game prices are supposed to stay the same forever even when the price of goods everywhere is much higher than it was in the past (inflation). And the salaries of the people making the games. Mmmkay

It did not stay the same. Now the full price is 129.99$ for some games or around 100. That's the price you need to pay to get " ultimate " experience. Back in the day games were complete since day 1.

32 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

There is nothing besides Demon's Souls on the PS5 that I really want. Plus with PS5 consoles still being overly expensive in my area, I'm in no hurry to jump to the next gen era of gaming.

if you had the money you would get one, don't lie.

19 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

There is nothing besides Demon's Souls on the PS5 that I really want. Plus with PS5 consoles still being overly expensive in my area, I'm in no hurry to jump to the next gen era of gaming.

If all you did was play PS4 games on a PS5 then it is still worth buying at this time.

PS4 games load faster, play smoother and look better on PS5, in some instances the difference is staggering.

Also, it is not 'next gen' it is current gen.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

If all you did was play PS4 games on a PS5 then it is still worth buying at this time.

PS4 games load faster, play smoother and look better on PS5, in some instances the difference is staggering.

I can't afford the PS5.

Meh. They are certainly quality of life improvements but I'm not too ashamed because a majority of my backlog is simply old retros, indies and some AA titles. AAA games are a small fraction, which is what the PS5 is best for.

5 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Money in general doesn't make sense. We have these pieces of paper that have arbitrary value associated to them because a vault somewhere has gold bars that none of us will ever see exists.

We aren’t on the gold standard anymore. Haven’t been for decades. 

Money makes even less sense in that aspect. They are arbitrary values we trust the other people have and that we want that are completely based on trust. 

• Like 1

Price increase doesn't impact me personally that much since I only buy a few games new each year and I have strict criteria for that- a sequel to a game I absolutely loved, a project that looks promising and has no BS day one DLC or microtransactions of any kind- otherwise it goes straight to my pre-owned list at best. Games are only worth the price you yourself are willing to pay for them at the end of the day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Games are only worth the price you yourself are willing to pay for them at the end of the day.

100%. its always been this simple. Yet everyone complains about a $5, $10, increase.

Don't pay it then. wait for a sale.  Or pay it. The power is in the gamers hands.

-------

i have no issue paying full for games. Only games i rarely will is anything released end of Oct as Black Friday hits sometime in November and those new games are often 50% off or more.

actually happened with Watch Dogs Legion. paid 75$ Canadian. Preordered (yeah i Preorder. idc), that same week was black Friday sales so when i picked it up it was 34.99$. so i grabbed another game as well... NHL21

13 hours ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

Monster Hunter Iceborne looks amazing on ps5 

• Like 1