The PS5 Pre-order System - Why?

MiloFPS

We all knew this would happen. Websites get crashed because of bots and enthusiastic customers hyped up for months. 

Had Sony given the signal to retailers to put up pre orders back in the April - May and done a reveal in February this wouldn’t even have happened. Then everyone would’ve had months to pre order for a guaranteed launch release and no one would’ve been unhappy and no websites would have crashed. 

Why not copy every single other console launch instead of doing everything last minute? Covid is no excuse, if that led to supply chain issues they could’ve delayed the launch to March 21 like the PS3 was delayed to March 07 in Europe and at worst you’d have some impatient people who would’ve cancelled. 

Well done Sony. Incompetent and poorly thought out. Whoever was responsible for marketing and the launch strategy should be fired. Heads must roll in Tokyo. 

Edited by MiloFPS
  • Like 3

I assume they were waiting for Xbox as I think right after Xbox announced both versions of their console they announced this event. Of course if Xbox announced back in February I doubt Sony would have right away but still, they were trying to compete. I blame this on both Sony and the stores for lack of pre-order availability, they should have given a specific time when pre-orders would be up, not this "tomorrow pre-orders will open thing". All these stores should have not broken the indicated date for pre-orders, if Sony even enforced it. Both Sony and the stores are at fault, Amazon was the only company who somewhat followed guidelines as they technically did launch today at 12am. Luckily I'll be waiting for a few years, don't want the machine breaking on me Day 1, most of the games will already be more than half off by then. Sony is trying too hard to compete, this idea of people buying the other console I find ridiculous as some of the Sony fans that did pre-order are casual or just bandwagon the company, changing release date wouldn't have matter but at this point Sony doesn't want to lose ground, and doesn't want to compete any harder. I personally don't understand this need to buy now or never idea from some people, if you don't get a pre-order just wait an year, doubt you have played every game worth playing on ps4.

Edited by Burstawesome

26 minutes ago, MiloFPS said:

We all knew this would happen. Websites get crashed because of bots and enthusiastic customers hyped up for months. 

Had Sony given the signal to retailers to put up pre orders back in the April - May and done a reveal in February this wouldn’t even have happened. Then everyone would’ve had months to pre order for a guaranteed launch release and no one would’ve been unhappy and no websites would have crashed. 

Why not copy every single other console launch instead of doing everything last minute? Covid is no excuse, if that led to supply chain issues they could’ve delayed the launch to March 21 like the PS3 was delayed to March 07 in Europe and at worst you’d have some impatient people who would’ve cancelled. 

Well done Sony. Incompetent and poorly thought out. Whoever was responsible for marketing and the launch strategy should be fired. Heads must roll in Tokyo. 

Although it is true retailers are careless and should of been more careful on the Covid-19 situation. Normally, people wanted to pre-ordered PS5 console and get it out of the way. That person won't be fired from doing something like that. 

• Like 2

The biggest joke about this is, that a couple of weeks ago sony announced they would reveal the release and preorder date ahead of time, so people could make sure and try to get a ps5 preorderd.

after that there was an event, when everybody thought they would announce the dates and nothing happened. then another announcment with no substantial information about what they are going to reaval, and another one. and then last night (at least night where I am) out of nowhere preorder starts and everyone who is not up in the middle of the night gets screwed over.

Now overpriced consoles are all over ebay etc and plenty of fans are hugely dissapointed of the shitshow sony has put up once again

• Like 3

I agree that you can't preorder a console you know nothing about, but why not reveal the price and the digital and disc editions back in the April? The secrecy until so late on was unnecessary. No web sites crashed back in 2013, they don't crash if consumers know the launch is months away becasue there is no rush. With two months left, this was obvious.

Not sure what makes people think pre-orders would've gone smoother if it happened at a different time?  It would've been the same people jumping on it, and same outages.  This happens with almost every major console release/preorder.

I don't think there's really a great way of doing it.  Just have to roll with the punches.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

Why do people think there is some type of problem? Yes, the retail outlets jumped the gun and allowed pre orders a day earlier than expected, but so what? 
Do people believe that, just because the initial batch has all been pre-ordered, that this is all Sony have available for launch?

I think we are mainly in the EU zone here, so we still have until Nov 19th. Chill guys. It’ll be fine! Lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Why do people think there is some type of problem? Yes, the retail outlets jumped the gun and allowed pre orders a day earlier than expected, but so what? 
Do people believe that, just because the initial batch has all been pre-ordered, that this is all Sony have available for launch?

I think we are mainly in the EU zone here, so we still have until Nov 19th. Chill guys. It’ll be fine! Lol

I think there will be a shortage like xbox 360 back in the day think of it we have coronavirus they are struggling to get parts millions want one there is a chance it could be pushed back to next year before the next batch is free

Just now, ShahinMiah said:

Same here ?

Nice you get one pal I got the disk version with headphones

14 minutes ago, BlackSquirrell1 said:

So I just received my preorder invitation from Sony.  Supposed to follow the link Friday morning at 10 AM and get in a queue.  We'll see how well that works. out. :rolleyes:

I got that email too. I had my wife and a couple friends sign up with it too and they never got that email.

I hope it works out for both of us tomorrow

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Delta-OscarMike said:

I think there will be a shortage like xbox 360 back in the day think of it we have coronavirus they are struggling to get parts millions want one there is a chance it could be pushed back to next year before the next batch is free

Nice you get one pal I got the disk version with headphones

I very much doubt it. There are millions available and I genuinely feel the Series S and, more so, MSs finance plan option will pull in a lot of people who otherwise would have got a PS5 first. Especially now people know most PS5 games will also be released on PS4 and so are more happy to wait.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

51 minutes ago, BlackSquirrell1 said:

So I just received my preorder invitation from Sony.  Supposed to follow the link Friday morning at 10 AM and get in a queue.  We'll see how well that works. out. :rolleyes:

Hope you get one :) 

Im gonna wait until after new years I think, dont really feel the rush this time. Got so many unfinished games :)

• Like 2

I am thinking that XBOX forced Sony's hand. I am a little (ok a lot) irritated that some of the retailers released the pre order early. Not cool. I saw this morning at 4:12 that Best Buy had bundles. Then at 5:00 they had only the system. Now, it just says coming soon ? That's a real good way to piss off the Sony fans. XBOX seems like it was more efficiently handled and run. At least they let people know almost two weeks in advance when the pre order would be open. Sony was just like... Boom here

I really wish Amazon and Ebay about bar sales of PS5/Xbox S/X for 3-6 months after release to cut back a little on the scaplers while inventory will be limited at the beginning. Amazon already does it for Apple products and have limited sales of new Sony products in the past. But they'll both enjoy the increased listing fees collected from these sales as well as the increased site traffic. 

It wouldn't have fixed this preorder scenario, but anything that deters a useless middleman leach from these scenarios would be a good thing.

2 hours ago, Skargarim said:

The biggest joke about this is, that a couple of weeks ago sony announced they would reveal the release and preorder date ahead of time, so people could make sure and try to get a ps5 preorderd.

after that there was an event, when everybody thought they would announce the dates and nothing happened. then another announcment with no substantial information about what they are going to reaval, and another one. and then last night (at least night where I am) out of nowhere preorder starts and everyone who is not up in the middle of the night gets screwed over.

Now overpriced consoles are all over ebay etc and plenty of fans are hugely dissapointed of the shitshow sony has put up once again

I completely agree. Criticise Xbox all you want, but they've given a clear time and date for pre-orders and it's largely universal and that is exactly how it should be done. PlayStation falsely said they would do the same, which wasn't the case. For the PS5 retailers are independently deciding when to open pre-orders over a 1-2 day span and it's so messy as I was finding out the times through industry people rather than the retailers themselves.

The worst was GAME in the UK, who just opened online pre-orders overnight after the virtual event with little warning, which seems unfair. I missed out because I was visiting family in ICU and had to watch the conference an hour late. The tweet worded that "online pre-orders today and in store at 8AM", which isn't very clear IMO Fortunately I managed to get an Amazon pre-order, but this was also an issue for people.

In conclusion, a mess ?

• Like 1