PS4 to PS5 upgrades game trophies

Orenn16

I can’t be the only one who’s thought about this, but haven’t seen any discussion on here regarding the topic. I wonder if the upgrades PS4 games that come to PS5 will have new trophy lists? I’m not super interested in a Spider Man replay, but if the upgrades version has a whole new trophy list, you bet I’ll snag the special edition of Miles Morales to get that upgrades Spider Man PS4! 

Has anyone heard any rumblings about how this’ll work?

16 minutes ago, Orenn16 said:

I can’t be the only one who’s thought about this, but haven’t seen any discussion on here regarding the topic. I wonder if the upgrades PS4 games that come to PS5 will have new trophy lists? I’m not super interested in a Spider Man replay, but if the upgrades version has a whole new trophy list, you bet I’ll snag the special edition of Miles Morales to get that upgrades Spider Man PS4! 

It was mentioned yesterday the remaster of Spider Man will have a new trophy list.

• Like 3

At least one game will have a new trophy list, the remaster of Spiderman

Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/marvels-spider-man-miles-morales-gameplay-demo-ps4-version-and-marvels-spider-man-remastered-for-ps5-announced

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Orenn16 said:

None of the developers or Sony have said anything about how PS4 games that are playable on PS5 will work. The only mention I have seen is that a Remaster, released as a new SKU will have a new list.

i was thinking about that this morning to. that would be alot of trophies. ps4 did it for games that were made towards the end of ps3. remember battlefield and gta5 we were able to reearn the trophies and stats carried over. borderlands also. the trophies would mostly autopop. i think those were upgrades though. if its just backwards compatability im guessing itll be just the same trophy list.

• Like 2

I am looking at it as this seemed to be the case from PS3-PS4 transition. At least if you buy a complete other copy of the game for the newer system, many times they each would have their own separate trophy lists. I think this all comes down to what each dev decides to do tho; if they are being lazy they could just make the lists the same for both PS4/PS5. 

That being said, this is just me speculating, so please take with a grain of salt!

• Like 1

Games that explicitly have two different purchasable versions like Assassins Creed Valhalla, CoD Cold War or something like that will have two trophy lists (otherwise PS5 players would have a PS4 list) just like with PS3/PS4 switch. But older PS4 games that are simply played via backwards compatibility will most likely not get a new trophy list, that would be ludicrous.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Alex_R-13 said:

Games that explicitly have two different purchasable versions like Assassins Creed Valhalla, CoD Cold War or something like that will have two trophy lists (otherwise PS5 players would have a PS4 list) just like with PS3/PS4 switch. But older PS4 games that are simply played via backwards compatibility will most likely not get a new trophy list, that would be ludicrous.

The first groupbyou mention could just have a shared Trophy list.

16 minutes ago, Alex_R-13 said:

This is how I expect things will work.

• Like 1

With the PS3 upgrade to PS4 it never upgraded the trophies because it was technically just playing the same PS3 disc on the system. In this case it may be different as it sounds like PS4 games that get the upgrade will have a full separate digital PS5 digital download. This makes it seems it's an entirely separate game.

• Like 1

I believe lists will be shared for upgradable games. If you can buy a game on PS4 and then buy it seperately on PS5, then seperate lists would be sense, but for upgradable titles I don't understand how this would be possible without insane trophy inflation. This is based on my own 'logic' (...) rather than any information, so I'm not seperate lists isn't possible

For example, if there were 2 seperate lists for PS4 and PS5 list for Immortals Fenyx Rising (a game with a confirmed free upgrade), what happens if you upgrade to PS5 after you've  Platinumed on PS4? Would you autopop the entire PS5 Platinum via shared progress? Or would you have to delete you progress and start again if they don't autopop? Logical thing is if they just share a list.

This is more prevelant on Xbox where they are supporting a Smart Delivery system for more games with shared progress and purchasing rights both ways. Would madly inflate achievements and trophies if this is the case, as for the first 1-2 years you could essentially platinum tons of games twice.

Edited by PhantomFear94

19 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

At least one game will have a new trophy list, the remaster of Spiderman

Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/marvels-spider-man-miles-morales-gameplay-demo-ps4-version-and-marvels-spider-man-remastered-for-ps5-announced

Awesome find; thank you for this source!!

18 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I believe lists will be shared for upgradable games. If you can buy a game on PS4 and then buy it seperately on PS5, then seperate lists would be sense, but for upgradable titles I don't understand how this would be possible without insane trophy inflation. This is based on my own 'logic' (...) rather than any information, so I'm not seperate lists isn't possible

For example, if there were 2 seperate lists for PS4 and PS5 list for Immortals Fenyx Rising (a game with a confirmed free upgrade), what happens if you upgrade to PS5 after you've  Platinumed on PS4? Would you autopop the entire PS5 Platinum via shared progress? Or would you have to delete you progress and start again if they don't autopop? Logical thing is if they just share a list.

This is more prevelant on Xbox where they are supporting a Smart Delivery system for more games with shared progress and purchasing rights both ways. Would madly inflate achievements and trophies if this is the case, as for the first 1-2 years you could essentially platinum tons of games twice.

I hear where your coming from, yet there were a ton of auto pop games back when PS3 transitioned to PS4...

18 hours ago, sealightbreeze said:

I really, really hope that each one has a new trophy list. I would absolutely love to replay some of those games and be able and get new trophies 

Same here! Any and all games that are being “upgraded” would be that much more exciting with a new list!

I always disagreed about new trophy lists for remasters versions. If there are significant changes in-game (like Uncharted collection that removes the online features), I understand the need for a new trophy list. Okami HD, Hotline Miami and Dragon's Crown didn't change anything, so they simply linked those lists to PS4.

I never understood why games like Devil May Cry HD Collection, Mafia II, Resident Evil or even this new Spider-Man needed a different trophy list. Some games can be justified by "they used different servers", but these games don't even have online trophies :/ 

1 hour ago, HellcoreFire said:

We could ask the people who upgraded games from PS3 to PS4 how it worked.

I've also been thinking a side effect backwards compatibility could have is, that some if not all online coop trophies that weren't before might become self boostable. Like that trophy in Far Cry 4 or the one from Conan Exiles for example.

The PS4 didn’t upgrade PS3 games like this gen is. They simply released seperate SKU games for each system back then. This is different in that if you already own a game you get an “upgraded” copy available to you for free in most cases. I’m wondering if Sony will treat this as a new SKU or as a simple visual tweak to the same game, and this have no new list.

46 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

I always disagreed about new trophy lists for remasters versions. If there are significant changes in-game (like Uncharted collection that removes the online features), I understand the need for a new trophy list. Okami HD, Hotline Miami and Dragon's Crown didn't change anything, so they simply linked those lists to PS4.

I never understood why games like Devil May Cry HD Collection, Mafia II, Resident Evil or even this new Spider-Man needed a different trophy list. Some games can be justified by "they used different servers", but these games don't even have online trophies :/ 

Because it’s a whole new version of the game. Iksomniac said in their post about being excited to give folks a reason to replay Spider-Man that their would be trophies for those who want to earn the plat again. That’s your answer. If you release a game you wouldn’t Remove in game features such as quests or missions right? Trophies are the same thing. They are part of the gameplay that people pay for, so why wouldn’t they be included again?

33 minutes ago, Orenn16 said:

The PS4 didn’t upgrade PS3 games like this gen is. They simply released seperate SKU games for each system back then. This is different in that if you already own a game you get an “upgraded” copy available to you for free in most cases. I’m wondering if Sony will treat this as a new SKU or as a simple visual tweak to the same game, and this have no new list.

For those who bought NBA 2K21 Legend edition, there is a free upgrade to the base game on PS5.  2K confirmed that all MyTeam progress would carry over but MyCareer progress would not as it is being redone for PS5.  Makes me think that the trophies from PS4 might not apply and there would need to be a new trophy list. 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2020 at 1:52 PM, Orenn16 said:

Because it’s a whole new version of the game. Iksomniac said in their post about being excited to give folks a reason to replay Spider-Man that their would be trophies for those who want to earn the plat again. That’s your answer. If you release a game you wouldn’t Remove in game features such as quests or missions right? Trophies are the same thing. They are part of the gameplay that people pay for, so why wouldn’t they be included again?

So? Dragon's Crown on PS4 is a totally different version from the PSVita and PS3 and they all share the same trophy list. Yet, Resident Evil 4/5/6 are the same game and they don't share the same trophy list. Same to Devil May Cry 1/2/3 that are exactly the same game from the PS3 collection. So they added new trophy list because they wanted, just like games that have multiple stacks of platinum because each game has different lists for each platform and region.

You don't have to agree with me on this. Neither a company has to justify why they release a new trophy list. If they do justify (like you said Insomniac did), it doesn't mean I must agree and understand them. It's like a lot of companies nowadays saying that having microtransactions doesn't affect players, because the player can choose to pay or not. Although those extras pay actually brings benefits towards the players, otherwise they wouldn't be there. 

On 9/18/2020 at 7:52 AM, Orenn16 said:

The thing is that it hasn't even been consistent among games that are released on multiple platforms and regions.  For example we have all those games with numerous platform and region stacks for the same lists and then other games that release on a new console later and just add the new platform to the current list.  Then you get stuff like KH1 where the PS4 list has the same trophies, but the difficulty trophies stack on PS4 and don't on PS3 and that's the only difference between the stacks really.  Then you get games that have added content with trophies and then really weird cases like The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival Edition that completely redid the trophy list for the PS4 version when it only added a bit of new content.  Sony really seems to leave it up to the devs and if they want another list for the new platform or region, they'll get it.  If they don't want it, then the new platform will be added to the current list.