Mad Max Storm

RonanO_1O1

4 minutes ago, Guardian_owl said:

Depending on what the task is, the edge of the map counts (the big nothing) counts as a storm. So if you just need to destroy a vehicle in a storm you can drive it out to the edge and then fire a flare to summon the Magnum Opus. Then push the car into the storm and destroy it.

You can do the jumps "in a storm" out there too ?

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Guardian_owl said:

Depending on what the task is, the edge of the map counts (the big nothing) counts as a storm. So if you just need to destroy a vehicle in a storm you can drive it out to the edge and then fire a flare to summon the Magnum Opus. Then push the car into the storm and destroy it.

22 hours ago, Super_Mep said:

You can do the jumps "in a storm" out there too 1f44d.png

Thank you so much I got the two I need in the "storm" in (the big nothing) and finally got the platinum!

• Like 2

On 21.9.2020 at 2:51 AM, Guardian_owl said:

I remember the old days without internet, I had no chance to get such informations. Modern World sometimes good.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Guardian_owl said:

You can't count on it for killing enemies in the storm apparently though. I tried to lure some enemies on foot and then in vehicles into the Big Nothing, but they stop at the edge and won't venture further.

For killing enemies in a storm its easiest to be go to a camp when an actual storm comes and you get the kills super quick. When it comes to destroying vehicles, drive a car that not the magnum opus out into the desert before the "Entering the Big Nothing". Use the flare to call the magnum opus and push the car softly into the Big Nothing until you take damage, then use the thunderpoon to blow the car your pushing once you start taking damage. Here is a video to help my explanation.

• Like 2

I also had this problem of no storms spawning or appearing for over 20 hours after my first storm. I tried everything I could find on the internet like restarting the game, waiting 10-15minutes, waiting in certain locations with a higher chance of storms, staying in the same place/region for a while and so on. Best I got was 3 small tornado's, but no storm and I needed it for the chest. But I'm sure I found my cause for no storms :)

I had one storm near the start of the game when I entered Jeet's territory. I got the Muthaloot chest and completed the challenge for the 3 scrap parts. While I was walking around towards another chest after the storm ended, I fell down a small rock of 2 meter and I died. It was lower than other stuff I had jumped off so I was surprised to die and already a few minutes had past since the storm was gone and I completed the challenge. But... the challenge was not saved. I continued with the story and didn't think of it at first.

15-20h later I started to worry because I never had a second storm. Started searching on internet and spent a full evening trying everything I found, nothing worked. Best I got was one storm after I fast travelled to Jeet's stronghold. I could hear the storm outside, I went outside and after 2-3 seconds the storm was gone. The guy in the back said something about 'all the loot' but no chests to be found around the stronghold. Not really surprised as storms tend to despawn when you enter certain locations.

Then I had an insight: My current mission objective is there for at least 20h as well. I was in act 3 and the next objective was to go to the underdune to get light bulbs. When I got that objective I was like: 'That's all the way on the other side of the map with no fast travel near... forget it, I'll do some cleanup first'. So I continued this mission until it was completely finished and no more next objectives were shown. I also didn't have half finished wasteland missions. After that I fast travelled from Gastown to Jeet's territory and started driving south towards where I had my first storm. When I got near the race in the south a storm hit and I was finally able to complete the chest challenge again! :D

So I'm fairly sure that that mission or mission objective was blocking real storms with chests. I was already playing for awhile in that session when I decided to go and finish the mission. I also didn't restart the game in between finishing the mission and getting the storm. So I was playing for at least 1 hour, probably closer to 2 hour, without a restart when I got the storm.

In the next 2 hours after that storm I didn't get a new storm, so maybe from now on I might need to restart the game to get one within 10-15 minutes.

We'll see about that, I'm glad I got my chest and the rest of the car challenges in a storm can be done in the big nothing! :)

Weird thing: The evening that I was trying to trigger a storm, I also completed the challenge to make 3 kills in a storm. Thing is: I never had a real storm with chests, best case it was a bit windy with a bit of sand. Maybe this was already sufficient to be a storm for that challenge? :/

TL;DR: Having a mission active or having a specific mission objective active might block the storms from spawning.
In my case the mission objective in act 3 where you have to go to the underdune to get some light bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got caught in my first electric storm. All storms I’ve encountered before were just sand ones. Anyway, I need just one more kill in the storm for the Tango challenge. Thankfully, as I was trying not to get fried by lightning, an enemy vehicle drove by, which I shot with a thunderpoon. It blew up the car, but I did not get my kill added to the challenge. I wonder why.

I always fast travel to a Stronghold to make sure my game saves before I quit and if I'm away from the game for a few days, I literally get a storm every single time I exit the Stronghold for the first time. I can't say it will work for everyone, but it might be worth trying to replicate.

• Like 2

T

On 10-10-2020 at 11:36 AM, skyships said:

I always fast travel to a Stronghold to make sure my game saves before I quit and if I'm away from the game for a few days, I literally get a storm every single time I exit the Stronghold for the first time. I can't say it will work for everyone, but it might be worth trying to replicate.

Leaving the stronghold could definitely be a trigger for it. I see this a lot too and use the same method that you described (fast travel).

Last weekend I had a storm glitch on me. Lightning continued when the storm had already gone away. Fun stuff!

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

Ha ha, ya that's happened to me before, I had to fast travel or go into a stronghold to get it to stop shooting lightning. When it's just windy I will try to harpoon and collect the strongboxes during the storm. If you do it fast enough there is a chance for a 4th strongbox to spawn. It's not worth it though if there is lightning in the storm as it greatly damages you and will scatter the scrap if it strikes your location after kicking open the box.

If you leave some convoys alive that is another reliable way to find enemies to kill during the storm for the challenge. As soon as the notification comes up, check your map and make a beeline for the nearest convoy route and begin circling it. They should still drive around during the storm, though again, it probably isn't feasible if the storm has lightning as that will heavily damage your car. Shotgun the fuel tanks or shoot them with a thunderpoon.

Edited by Guardian_owl