Too many PS5 scalpers on Ebay!!

cpc630

I made a video of this topic the other day, but I went again on ebay today and some PS5 preorders are going for $10,000 now, WTF why??  Take a look for yourself go to ebay and type ps5 and you will see the ridiculous prices even worse now than when i made my video the other day. 

I mean why not? You don't actually pay until November, so you could "pre-order" now, list it on eBay for any amount, get the money now and use it to pay for the console, and it's literally free money. It's not like these guys paid $500 per console now and have to sit on them for two months. Even in the worst case, they'll sell for retail and break even.

Scalping is different in the sense that you actually had to buy the tickets up front and could get stuck with them if no one buys before the event starts. This is more like risk-free arbitrage.

2 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

I mean why not? You don't actually pay until November, so you could "pre-order" now, list it on eBay for any amount, get the money now and use it to pay for the console, and it's literally free money. It's not like these guys paid $500 per console now and have to sit on them for two months. Even in the worst case, they'll sell for retail and break even.

Scalping is different in the sense that you actually had to buy the tickets up front and could get stuck with them if no one buys before the event starts. This is more like risk-free arbitrage.

Actually worst case scenario they cancel their preorder and get all the money back.

It is why it should be against the terms of service to sell an item that doesnt exist.

3 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

It is why it should be against the terms of service to sell an item that doesnt exist.

Good idea, and it almost is.

"That may not last though, as the listings violated eBay's listing policies on pre-sale items, which require that the item must be delivered within 30 days of purchase on eBay. "Our Trust teams are aware of this issue and we are taking the appropriate action," an eBay spokeswoman said."

https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/gaming/sony-playstation-5-pre-order-ebay-25000-6600860/

Edited by pogo_loco

First of all, obviously.  It's a highly sought after item that's difficult to find right now (even if all you can find are preorders).  Of course people are going to be listing it for ridiculous prices on eBay.  It's not even worth discussing at this point, no less making some sensationalized YouTube video/forum topic.

Second of all, almost any upcoming release you can find for above retail somewhere on eBay.  Case in point... you can order Far Cry 6 Collectors Edition today from Ubisoft's store for $200, or you can pay some random guy on eBay $600.  If you're lucky, you can order Spider-Man Miles Morales for $100+ on eBay... instead of, you know, paying $50 anywhere else.  They're just hoping to find somebody who thinks eBay is the only place to get this stuff, or see's the high price and the word "rare", and panics/pulls the trigger on it.  It only takes one.  PS5 is the hottest ticket item in a while, so you'll find more ridiculous listings than usual... but it happens with almost everything.

Edited by Dreakon13

8 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

There's people running bots on there bidding up to an extreme amount and not paying so that the scalpers can't sell their item either.

Protest bidding? Someone has an interesting way of expressing their disapproval. LOL. I can't exactly say these scalpers don't deserve it. ? Someone who actually buys from them is a sucker who doesn't know what shop around means.

3 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Protest bidding? Someone has an interesting way of expressing their disapproval. LOL. I can't exactly say these scalpers don't deserve it. 1f60f.png Someone who actually buys from them is a sucker who doesn't know what shop around means.

It first started with 3080 bots over the graphics cards, now it's spilling over into the consoles too

18 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Protest bidding? Someone has an interesting way of expressing their disapproval. LOL. I can't exactly say these scalpers don't deserve it. 1f60f.png Someone who actually buys from them is a sucker who doesn't know what shop around means.

Also if you just wait a few months it will be back in stores. I mean I know games like Lair or Knack are must have games...but probably not worth spending a few thousand on.

(I dont know what Ps5 launch games actually are so just used old examples)

• Like 1

eBay has long been used as a website for con artists and scammers.

Do some research before you guys start buying crap on eBay. It amazes me in 2020 there are still morons out there who will fall for anything. Reminds me when people were threatening to steal PS2 and later PS3 consoles at Best Buy or other retail stores on Black Friday.

It's all fucking capitalism. We all become victims to aggressive marketing and con deals. Those lucky few who will snatch an early copy of the PS5 are going to sell it for far above what Sony will charge for it this coming November. You don't even know if you will even get the fucking console.

People who will fall for anything deserve their end result. Just because a hot product is going to be out there in the market, doesn't mean you should just hit the preorder button and assume everything is going to be okay.

I can see retail companies all across America and elsewhere scrambling because they will be on the short end of the stick when people start bitching that they won't be able to get their hot, brand new, pristine smelling PS5 console before this year's Thanksgiving.

Everybody is going to be tweeting on their smartphones that the new console will be awesome and yadda yadda yadda. It's going to be a hot mess this Holiday season, and I fucking hate the holidays because they turned into a business making opportunity, rather than the spirit like they were in the past.

• Like 1