Terrible Performance

Nima021King

But the question is... Does it run worst than the PS3 port? :P

No kidding, I played that one a long time ago and, despite being an obvious and totally understandable downgrade from the original PC game, the thing that infuriated me the most was how buggy the game was. I wouldn't call it completely broken, but it definitely had a lot of noticeable stuff. Like that one time I got stuck in the last mission for hours on end because the game wouldn't just open a certain door after glitching out, leading me to be completely puzzled as to what to do. It happened to me several times too, even after restarting. :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

Crysis was in fact one of the first PC games to really go all out on specs. Even high end PCs back in 2007 - 2008 had difficulty running the game. I for one, don't care about specs, as long as the game is enjoyable and runs fine that's all I care about.

Original Crysis taxes even modern CPUs quite seriously due to limited threading ability. Even if you're getting Crysis 2 and 3 to run at 60 FPS without fail (CryEngine 3 can use up to 8 cores), the original can still suffer some frame drops from CPU bottleneck. An i7 8700K with Titan X Pascal can fall below 40 FPS on the Ascension level. At the time of the PC Crysis' development, it was expected that there would eventually be 8 GHz Pentiums, which wasn't how things turned out.

Some modders are planning their own unofficial remaster for original Crysis with CryEngine 5.6.6. They will use Raytracing, SVOGI, and volumetric lighting/clouds/fog with other CE5 exclusive things. It'll be awhile though. Hopefully they can improve the multi-core support to fix the bottleneck issues.

The PC version of Crysis Remastered actually does have a similar threading issue... let's hope Crytek/Saber address that with a patch.

1 minute ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Original Crysis taxes even modern CPUs quite seriously due to limited threading ability. Even if you're getting Crysis 2 and 3 to run at 60 FPS without fail (CryEngine 3 can use up to 8 cores), the original can still suffer some frame drops from CPU bottleneck. An i7 8700K with Titan X Pascal can fall below 40 FPS on the Ascension level. At the time of the PC Crysis' development, it was expected that there would eventually be 8 GHz Pentiums, which wasn't how things turned out.

Some modders are planning their own unofficial remaster for original Crysis with CryEngine 5.6.6. They will use Raytracing, SVOGI, and volumetric lighting/clouds/fog with other CE5 exclusive things. It'll be awhile though. Hopefully they can improve the multi-core support to fix the bottleneck issues.

The PC version of Crysis Remastered actually does have a similar threading issue... let's hope Crytek/Saber address that with a patch.

I dropped out of the PC master race a long time ago. Sometimes I still think this is still 2012 - 2013 when 3 - 4 GHz was good enough.

Assassin's Creed Unity, Batman: Arkham Knight and numerous others all ran like shit when they launched on Steam. My laptop can't run today's AAA games, despite the fact I sunk $1200 - 1400 in paying for it and it works pretty good.

I was never a tech geek, so what these modders are trying to state in their blogs or what have you basically just passes through my head. Raytracing isn't even on the PS4 Pro.

Crysis became infamous back in 2007 - 2010 for the specs it required to run properly. No computer back then was able to run the game without any issues, and it sort of mind boggles me that 13 years later in 2020 people are still struggling to get the game to look good and run well.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, westersburg said:

They already released a performance patch for the xbox one x yesterday, hopefully the ps4 follows pretty soon.

I'll play it again if this happens. Let's hope we get Crysis Warhead DLC for this later on... CW is a side-story game where you play as Psycho. One of my favorite levels in Crysis is Core, with the zero-gravity action.

No way the PS3 port ran this well. Crysis 2 and 3 on PS3 run a little lower than 720p, at a 30 FPS target with some drops.

On that one mission where you need to paint the carrier with your binoculars, do it BEFORE you jump overboard to troll Strickland. You will laugh your ass off, I promise.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

On 9/27/2020 at 9:42 PM, Cthulu-72 said:

The irony that Crysis is still unable to run on the latest platforms is hilarious.

I know it all too well... you best have about 5 GHz of clock speed (core count doesn't really matter) to truly max the original Crysis and C.Warhead on PC. My computer has 3.6 GHz (6 cores, but in this case IDGAF) and struggles with it. Someone is running CW in 4K on Enthusiast (Very High) settings in this video.

Tweaking Crysis for performance is a game within a game. ?

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They released a next gen patch for this game. It's now running in

Quality Mode: 1800p@60 (DRS & 60 fps is only the target)

RT Mode: 1440p@60 (DRS & 60 fps in only the target, runs less stable then quality mode)

Performance Mode: 1080p@60 (probably the only mode with consistent 60 fps)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It runs terribly on the PS4. Numerous crashes and the Ascension level was completely broken where the airship would get slowly pulled down to the ground and was unable to elevate or progress in the level. Had to close the game down multiple times to be able to progress through the chapter. I actually believe it ran better on the PS3 (although it was a long time ago that I played that version). I normally don't complain too much about bad ports or whatever, but yeah the PS4 version was a complete mess.

I blame the last update for this game.

I played it when it was just released the "remastered" edition.

Back then it was running fine, yeah some performance issues when lots of NPC`s where around but nothing mayor.

If you can use a tool to download the original version without the latest update.

Here is a link to a thread with instructions and a tool : 

• 3 weeks later...

Me experience with the remaster of the first game is this, Playing on a PS5 it had a stutter/ frame drop at every checkpoint. Anyone who has played it knows this game has a lot of checkpoints. Other than that it ran fine until latter missions when I started experiencing more frame drops and I ended up having for 4 crashes and 3 of them were during the last boss fight. The last boss is difficult enough on Delta difficulty and then having it crash 3 times was very frustrating.

I was playing in performance mode.

Edited by snakebit10

• 3 months later...

I can deal with performance issues but the huge input lag on this makes it unplayable. Normally this is due to 30fps cap but even performance mode does nothing to help which is a first. Performance mode has eliminated input lag on every game that has it. Like Shadow of the Tomb Raider which Digital Foundry talked about. 

For me this overtakes Far Cry 3 classic as the worst remaster. 

Edited by GUDGER666

I'm having no performance issues besides the checkpoint stutter that's in the PS360 port too. It does crash too often, it's crashed twice on me in the mountain level. I'm not seeing any input lag whatsoever on base PS4. I have the physical copy. My biggest complaint about the game is the low gravity fights suuuucccckkkk. They suck so much, it's just too disorienting lol. Great game overall, I'm going to get all the trophies except the delta playthrough and move on to 2&3. I love crysis, I want to save the plat for a milestone ?

• 2 months later...

Remaster my ass,graphics are worse than ps3,controls stuck and you must reload the game,a annoying bug sound that you must close the application to go away

lazy developers,Optimization is terrible,disgusting game

i will do a 1 delta walkthrough to platinum this stupid game,thank god i have ps now coz i would never have played this so called game let alone buy it

Edited by Squarevii87

• 4 months later...

I had fun with Crysis 1 and 3 (had not touched the second game yet and PS3 version is unobtainable) from I played, and they ran on PS3 poorly, but the fun didn't stop for me. Crysis 1 on PS4 is a better port than the 7th gen versions for me, but back when the game first came out, it was pretty notorious for it's performance.