A question about playing a game on both PS4 and PS5

Maahniac

I'm planning on playing the Final Fantasy VII Remake around November. I'm actually planning on playing my first playthrough on PS4, and then my second Hard playthrough on PS5, as it'll probably be around the time I'll receive the console. Will this be possible? The game is tied to my PSN account, not my console obviously, so trophy-wise there probably wouldn't be a problem. But I'm concerned if we can transfer save game files between the consoles? This is a question that applies to multiple games actually. Let's say I want to play God of War on my new PS5, will I be able to do so on my old saves?

So, the question basically is: Can I trophy hunt a game on both PS4 and PS5? Same game, same trophies?

It's not known whether save files can carry over seamlessly onto the PlayStation 5 based on a PSN account basis. Unfortunately, in order to even unlock hard mode for Final Fantasy VII Remake you'd have to finish the game at least once on either normal or easy I believe. 

There's still a lot of unknowns.

• Like 2

If you play a ps4 game via backwards compatibilty, i would assume that the save games are in ps4 format. So i would also assume you could transfer saves from ps4 to ps5. But as others said, thats just assumptions and speculations, as long as sony doesnt say how it really works. 

Im rather curious if save transfer will work if you start for example cyberpunk 2077 on ps4 and then get the upgraded ps5 version (so not via bc), because the save file format could be different... 

• Like 1

Whether game saves will be compatible between platforms is entirely dependant on the developers. Sony have cloud functionality, you can already share saves between ps3, PS4 and ps vita, so no problem on that end.

I don’t imagine a developer would not use that option, it will just lose them sales.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

• 3 weeks later...