Testing an 'exploit'

Ancestral_Spirit

OK, so after more runs than i can count, i still haven't managed to get all the missions from all the factions to even appear, let alone be able to complete them.

By far the most annoying of these is doing the tasks for the Vestigial.

They only have a pool of 3 quests to pick from, and i have never ever clapped eyes on the one where they ask you to open a chest for them.

So i went searching to see if there was a way to cheat the system a little, to see if there was a way to force them to change mission without having to do an entire run just to get back to 3-1 and 3-2. I couldn't find anything on Playstation trophy sites, but i did find something on an XBox forum.

Technically if you reload your game in any given run nothing should change, since the game runs on seeds once you start a run there should be no way to change it.

Someone on the XBox forums however said there was a way to break the missions givers a little.

Save your game in town, then back it up to a USB stick. Go back to your game and attempt the level. If the mission giver appears and doesn't give you the mission you want, quit IN GAME, and reload the save. The mission giver should then re pick from their pool of missions and you have a chance of getting a different mission without having to start an entirely new run. However they also mentioned that quitting in game, and reloading the save within game only allows them to change their given mission once. At that point you then have to quit out entirely, re-download your save and try again.

So i've been testing this and so far the results aren't good news  :(

Start - Perform a 2160

Reload in game - Perform a 2160

Re DL Save 1st - Perform a 2160

Reload in game - 2160

Re DL Save 2nd - 2160

Reload in game - 2160

Re DL Save 3rd - 2160

Reload in game - 2160

Re DL Save 4th - 2160

Reload in game - 2160

Re DL Save 5th - 2160

Reload in game - 2160

Re DL Save 6th - 2160

Reload in game - 2160

Each time i reloaded in game, i simply quit to main menu and pressed continue run.

I'm now going to test if quitting to the XMB in between reloading each run affects it differently. I don't have high hopes, but we'll see  :P

Edited by Ancestral_Spirit
Put in the wrong mission numbers. Should have been 3-1 and 3-2 and not 1-2 and 1-3
  • Like 1

So this time i re downloaded the save, entered mission 3-1 quit to main menu, quit to XMB, reloaded and went to the mission giver, then started the process from redownloading the save off my USB again.

I also changed things up a little by NOT speaking to the mission giver on the initial re download of the save, since we know that the mission giver will always give me the same mission upon re downloading the save (because of the seed), which will be Perform a 2160.

Aaaannndd once again, the results are not promising  :(

Start - Will be perform a 2160

Reload in game after XMB quit - Perform a 2160

Re DL Save 1st - Will be a perform a 2160

Re DL Save 2nd - Will be a perform a 2160

Re DL Save 3rd - Will be a perform a 2160

Re DL Save 4th - Will be a perform a 2160

Re DL Save 5th - Will be a perform a 2160

Re DL Save 6th - Will be a perform a 2160

Sufficed to say that at the very least this exploit doesn't work on the current update or possibly not on the PS4 in general.

Either that or i am the unluckiest RAD player to have ever lived, which is entirely possible since i had to do around 60 or so runs just to get one of the bosses to appear  >.<

Unlucky for all of us however, as it seems there is no way to cheese the system, and the mindless grinding continues.

Sorry to anyone who was looking for an easy way out like i was, and by all means if you want to test this out for yourself go for it.

Additional things to note while doing this was, i attempted to fudge the system further by doing different actions during each run to mess with the RNG. Like killing or not killing certain enemies each time, falling or not falling off ledges etc.

And the music is not seed specific, it changes every time......... pointless, but interesting  xD

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

While not an exploit that is described in this post, I wanted to share an oddity that happened to me just now.

I started a new run, and upon getting Rad King fruit from the garden and getting a mutation that I no longer needed (discovered both variants already) I decided to load up my PS+ save file from the cloud (note, this is after 6hrs of sleep - so the save was auto-uploaded). The save itself was supposed to be after a finished run.

However, when I loaded it up it was a in-progress run of 3-2 that was 2 runs old (remember specifically because this was the run I unlocked the Egg Head mutation). Initially, I thought the save didn't get uploaded to the cloud, and I rolled back too far and lost some progress; but when I checked my unlocks progress, everything was up to date.

When I finished this run, I even got the "next" ending. My win streak carried on as well. I'm not sure if it could be abused in any way, since I've no idea how to reproduce this "glitch" - but the game is very funky with its' saves...and perhaps "in a good way".

Edited by Sydoki

On 12/03/2022 at 1:47 PM, Sydoki said:

While not an exploit that is described in this post, I wanted to share an oddity that happened to me just now.

I started a new run, and upon getting Rad King fruit from the garden and getting a mutation that I no longer needed (discovered both variants already) I decided to load up my PS+ save file from the cloud (note, this is after 6hrs of sleep - so the save was auto-uploaded). The save itself was supposed to be after a finished run.

However, when I loaded it up it was a in-progress run of 3-2 that was 2 runs old (remember specifically because this was the run I unlocked the Egg Head mutation). Initially, I thought the save didn't get uploaded to the cloud, and I rolled back too far and lost some progress; but when I checked my unlocks progress, everything was up to date.

When I finished this run, I even got the "next" ending. My win streak carried on as well. I'm not sure if it could be abused in any way, since I've no idea how to reproduce this "glitch" - but the game is very funky with its' saves...and perhaps "in a good way".

RAD's save is made up of 3 files

Unlock Data

Save Data

Options Data

I'm guessing you only downloaded the save data as this is what contains your current run :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Overlord said:

I'm guessing you only downloaded the save data as this is what contains your current run :)

Ah, that explains it...I wonder how I managed to do that...since I always upload/donwload all files in a bulk, and never individual save files. Oh well, good to know nonetheless :)