Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox

Xylobe

“The key point is we’re still Bethesda,” said Bethesda Softworks senior vice president of global marketing and communications Pete Hines in a statement. “We’re still working on the same games we were yesterday, made by the same studios we’ve worked with for years, and those games will be published by us.”

Hines continued, “So why the change? Because it allows us to make even better games going forward. Microsoft is an incredible partner and offers access to resources that will make us a better publisher and developer. We believe that means better games for you to play. Simply put—we believe that change is an important part of getting better. We believe in pushing ourselves to be better. To innovate. To grow.”

Bethesda Game Studios’ Todd Howard added, “This one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone—regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one.”

If that doesn't scream multi-platform, then I don't know what does.

Well i hope this means we get to keep the likes of Doom & Wolfenstein as this has made me pretty pissed off as i love those franchises.

Bethesda Game Studios’ Todd Howard added, “This one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone—regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one.”

57 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

https://news.microsoft.com/2020/09/21/microsoft-to-acquire-zenimax-media-and-its-game-publisher-bethesda-softworks/

Will give them ownership of Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored and more.

So no real loss then, for those of us on PSN. The older games were engaging, the newer games made under Zenimax were just trash. Political pandering, shallow and repetitive gameplay, bare bones character development; the list goes on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Retro_Maniac said:

Well i hope this means we get to keep the likes of Doom & Wolfenstein as this has made me pretty pissed off as i love those franchises.

Apparently the games will still be multiplatform but on Xbox and PC they will be on Game Pass from D1.

The Wasteland 3 devs are owned by Microsoft but the game is also on PS4.

Edited by Lance_87

Just now, Caesar Clown said:

I think this is actually pretty funny considering Microsoft was denied buying TikTok last week. It's like their immediate response to that rejection was to run out and buy a game publisher/developer.

If only spending 7 billion dollars to buy a company went from idea to decision to execution in a week. This has probably been in the works for months.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the heavy hitters (Elder Scrolls, Fallout) as exclusives or at least timed exclusives... that stuff will move consoles and bring a lot of people over to Xbox.  The comparatively smaller franchises (Doom, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein) will probably stay multi-platform just to make a few extra bucks.  Just my 2 cents.

This doesn't really make a dent for me, I've kinda lost interest in the whole open world RPG thing since 2011 and was never a huge fan of Bethesda's take on Fallout.  Hopefully this gets Sony moving though since they basically took the generation off with the PS4 outside of their exclusives selling gangbusters.

Edited by Dreakon13

I’d expect the major franchises to stay on PS5, though maybe they won’t be available right at launch. Microsoft has said repeatedly this generation that they want their games to be available everywhere — look at Cuphead on PS4 and Ori on Switch, for instance. I think their main play will be making these games available on day one on Game Pass, which is looking really good now, and using that to sell more subscriptions, which is what makes them more money long term.

Edited by JD-D2

6 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Apparently the games will still be multiplatform but on Xbox and PC they will be on Game Pass from D1.

The Wasteland 3 devs are owned by Microsoft but the game is also on PS4.

That's because wasteland 3 was already in development before Microsoft bought them. Obsidians new games for example are only PC/Xbox but on the other hand Minecraft Dungeons is on PS4 as well.

It's a wait and see thing, i remember hearing about how Sony called Microsoft or something after they bought Mojang to make sure Minecraft would still be on playstation, i imagine something similar is taking place here.

3 minutes ago, The_Retro_Maniac said:

I really hope this is what happens otherwise FFS i might have to buy an Xbox which was not on my radar.

Well, the silver lining here is that at least you could play these games on a half-decent PC, or the Series S, without spending THAT much money.

1 minute ago, JD-D2 said:

I’d expect the major franchises to stay on PS5, though maybe they won’t be available right at launch. Microsoft has said repeatedly this generation that they want their games to be available everywhere — look at Cuphead on PS4 and Ori on Switch, for instance. I think their main play will be making these games available on day one on Game Pass, which is looking really good now, and using that to sell more subscriptions, which is what makes them more money long term.

I'll believe that when I see Halo/Forza/Gears on Playstation.

But yeah, I feel like the most likely scenario is that they'll be on Gamepass day 1, then come to other platforms after a year.. at full price..

4 minutes ago, peffsi said:

Well, the silver lining here is that at least you could play these games on a half-decent PC, or the Series S, without spending THAT much money.

I'll believe that when I see Halo/Forza/Gears on Playstation.

But yeah, I feel like the most likely scenario is that they'll be on Gamepass day 1, then come to other platforms after a year.. at full price..

Yeah, that's fair. I guess in my head I tend to separate the "home grown" Xbox games like the ones you mentioned from the IPs they bought. Who knows!

It's a smart move by Microsoft. I'll miss the id tech shooters, and if I had any faith in the Fallout series after Fallout 4, I'd miss that, too. But ultimately, I'd never buy a console just to play them, and definitely not an Xbox.

That said, I think Microsoft are probably going to wait and see how PS5 and Xbox Series sell before making so many games exclusive. If PlayStation eclipses Xbox sales like it has this generation, then Microsoft could be seriously shooting themselves in the foot by missing out on hundreds of millions in software sales.