Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox

Xylobe

9 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Does this mean us Sony console owners will miss out on games from these studios? Example: Doom becoming exclusive?

More than likely yes, you'll either need an xbox or gaming PC to play most if not all upcoming TES/Fallout/DOOM/Prey/Dishonored/new ips from Bethesda

1 minute ago, DEI2EK said:

More than likely yes, you'll either need an xbox or gaming PC to play most if not all upcoming TES/Fallout/DOOM/Prey/Dishonored/new ips from Bethesda

Phil Spencer said that which games appear on which systems will be determined on a case-by-case basis. With pre-orders opening up for the next Xbox consoles, I would think that if they planned on going full exclusive at this time with the biggest franchises, they would let people know to boost sales.  It is all speculation at this point and with how little we have heard on their biggest franchises (at least on the Bethesda side, I don't pay much attention to id), we might not know for some time.

This is pretty crazy. I was shocked when I heard the news. Microsoft have that "big swinging dick" money and they aren't afraid to use it.

Microsoft now have ownership over a lot of IP I care about, even if the games Bethesda have put out don't always turn out as great as I would have hoped. I've seen people here trying to be optimistic about what this means for PlayStation gamers, but I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of console exclusives for Xbox going forward. There wouldn't have been much reason for Microsoft to buy them otherwise. It sounds like there still will be *some* multiplatform releases, so I wonder what those will be. Maybe just the lesser known titles that need all the sales they can get.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sikutai said:

But the most important Question: What is with the Trophies?

What is with the trophies what, exactly? They will never suddenly discontinue anything that was already released.

1 hour ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Does this mean us Sony console owners will miss out on games from these studios? Example: Doom becoming exclusive?

Hopefully new IPs only. DOOM has been multiplatform for decades, the next entries in the franchise will probably have a 6-12 months exclusivity window and that's it.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Nobody really knows right now. However, MS said the games would be decided on a game by game basis, so there's still a chance it won't be. 

This is a huge get for Microsoft. God damn.

Also people are fooling themselves if they think we'll still get Bethesda games on PlayStation, I could maybe see a case being made for TES and Fallout since those are franchises are massive, but anything else? C'mon son.

I tried more than once to get into Skyrim and Fallout and just couldn't. Arkane and Tango though? Those are big losses personally. At least we're still getting Deathloop and Ghostwire.

I've seen a lot of people taking it for granted that the games will be on Gamepass from day 1 once they release, but how feasible do you guys think that will be? A new TES and Fallout game would make bank if published in ordinary fashion.

Besides, are you able to use mods with games you download through Gamepass? If yes, then gamepass will be a sweet deal for PC players whenever those games are published. But if not, then many PC gamers will have to buy the games anyway.

Hopefully the games will be published on PS5, but I probably won't buy an Xbox even if they're not. I loved Skyrim, but a new TES isn't enough to justify building a PC or buying an Xbox for me. I'll just mope in a corner playing something else if that's the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

If you ask me, Microsoft probably won’t make the best use of Bethesda’s IPs anyway. Let’s not forget they bought Rareware over 15 years ago and they still don’t have much to show for it except Rare Replay and Killer Instinct.

Killer Instinct was Double Helix and Iron Galaxy, with Rare only offering 'support'. Also most Rare employees made exodus once that buyout/merger happened

The way it is worded, it sounds like they will remain multi-platform.

I mean, MS is nearly full 3rd party publisher with a console at this point.  Minecraft, Ori, Cuphead are all on PC and other consoles.  

I wouldn't worry too much.  Besides, Xbox is all about releasing buggy, micro-transaction rigged games.  Sounds like Bethesda will fit right in.  If anything the MTX will be worse

• Like 1

Eh, I don't think the games will be an xbox exclusive. 

They've changed their views on what gaming should be. 

They want to make Xbox into a service like netflix and steam. They gave up on the console wars. They're just holding onto the Xbox console to provide a platform for people like me who just want a plug and play solution. 

• Like 1

Not crazy about Microsoft acquiring Bethesda. This makes Tango, Arkane, and id Microsoft studios.

Phil Spencer has said that MS will decide "case by case" whether to release future Bethesda games on other consoles. I didn't expect Sony to put Horizon: Zero Dawn on Windows, so there could be some surprises. So PS players could still get Doom 6, TES 6, or Wolfenstein 3, but not until a year after they show up on Xbox. At least Microsoft is honoring Bethesda's prior agreements with Sony about timed PS5 exclusivity for Tango's GhostWire:Tokyo and Arkane's Deathloop. TES Online will get an upgraded version on not only XSX, but also PS5.

Sony buying Bethesda wouldn't sit well with me either. I'd rather have Bethesda being bought by another content producer (just not EA or Activision) than a console maker.

• Like 1

This is good for Microsoft. But honestly there is no game I will miss if it all goes to Xbox exclusive and pc. I have yet played a game from them in the last ten years that I really enjoyed. They probably honour the two game that are timed  exclusives for Sony but I would be surprised if they continue to make games for Sony.