Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox

Xylobe

44 minutes ago, peffsi said:

I've never seen anyone say the Insomniac purchase was "stupid" before.

It was a smart move, and long overdue. It was relatively cheap, because Sony already owns most of the IP Insomniac had worked on. That studio is also efficient and capable of putting out quality games at a good pace. Thanks to them, we have Miles Morales coming out soon, with Ratchet following within a few months. And I'm sure they're very hard at work on Spider-Man 2.

If Sony bought Japanese publishers like Square/Capcom (which I think is very unlikely), I'd anticipate incredible outrage from Nintendo fans. At least it'd be entertaining, for me.

No it wasn't.

All the titles you mentioned, they are published by Sony long before the buyout, Insomniac would have gladly continued to make them, as without them, they're only left with that sunshine overdrive game, which would spell doom for them, they already had their hands tied.

9 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

Everyone saying "Sony buy FromSoftware" doesn't realize that they're already owned by Kadokawa Corporation?

Frankly I didn't even know they existed to begin with, doesn't seem like a big hurdle.

23 hours ago, JavaNext said:

This is pretty huge, for me at least, a lot of great series in there, Dishonored, The Evil Within, Prey, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout are all games I enjoyed this past gen. 

I'm surprised so many people here seem so unafected about this, I'm honestly considering getting an Xbox as tertiary console because of this.

As a side note, this genaration is getting very slipt up, FF XVI and Spidey on PS5, and now this? Wild.

Same. If there comes a day Bethesda makes Fallout 5 an Xbox exclusive then I buy an Xbox Series X immediately.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

No it wasn't.

All the titles you mentioned, they are published by Sony long before the buyout, Insomniac would have gladly continued to make them, as without them, they're only left with that sunshine overdrive game, which would spell doom for them, they already had their hands tied.

What would you be saying if Microsoft bought Insomniac instead?

"OMG how did Sony let this happen?!?!?"

As we have just seen, MS is willing to SPEND. MS could have easily paid far more money for them to make up for the lost IPs, and given them the freedom to make brand new IPs. At ~$229 million, Insomniac was relatively cheap. Sony also recently spent $250 million, more than the total cost of Insomniac, to get a 1.5% stake in Epic Games. It's not a huuuge amount of money for them.

1 hour ago, Vergil said:

If Sony were to buy a studio, Platinum games would be my choice definitely. Quality games there with right funds. 

But imagine if they just start to buy devs left and right. Would be very anti costumer. 

Buying individual studios, who may be having financial difficulty, is not really anti-consumer. I was not upset at Microsoft buying stuff like Ninja Theory and Obsidian for this reason.

Buying timed exclusivity for specific games is not anti-consumer, because those games will eventually make it to the competing platforms. The money paid for the timed exclusivity can also assist the studio with making/marketing the game.

Buying exclusivity of one DLC character in one game (the Spider-Man in Avengers controversy) was a little bit anti-consumer. But it barely matters. There are gonna be tons of other characters coming to that game, and it's not even that good of a game.

Buying entire publishers, who are already successful on their own, is far more anti-consumer. Unless MS allows every one of their games to come out on Playstation. That remains to be seen.

31 minutes ago, peffsi said:

As we have just seen, MS is willing to SPEND. MS could have easily paid far more money for them to make up for the lost IPs, and given them the freedom to make brand new IPs. At ~$229 million, Insomniac was relatively cheap. Sony also recently spent $250 million, more than the total cost of Insomniac, to get a 1.5% stake in Epic Games. It's not a huuuge amount of money for them.

Buying individual studios, who may be having financial difficulty, is not really anti-consumer. I was not upset at Microsoft buying stuff like Ninja Theory and Obsidian for this reason.

Buying timed exclusivity for specific games is not anti-consumer, because those games will eventually make it to the competing platforms. The money paid for the timed exclusivity can also assist the studio with making/marketing the game.

Buying exclusivity of one DLC character in one game (the Spider-Man in Avengers controversy) was a little bit anti-consumer. But it barely matters. There are gonna be tons of other characters coming to that game, and it's not even that good of a game.

Buying entire publishers, who are already successful on their own, is far more anti-consumer. Unless MS allows every one of their games to come out on Playstation. That remains to be seen.

Its what i meant but not worded correctly lol

1 hour ago, Feral said:

Same. If there comes a day Bethesda makes Fallout 5 an Xbox exclusive then I buy an Xbox Series X immediately.

Based on what though? Mind you, I too loved some of the titles from the post you are replying to but...

Fallout has been stagnant after F3/New Vegas, F4 certainly wasn't groundbreaking or innovative and lest we forget Fallout 76? For the sake of gaming we shouldn't. Bethesda didn't push for another good Dishonored or Prey game they went with live service shenanigans I have serious doubts about the quality of the future Fallout game.

Doom has gone downhill since 2016 (which was amazing imho) but not as much as Fallout. Wolfenstein went full retard with Youngblood and was tripping by the point TNC came out, again after such a good game TNO was. I hope they push for more quality products such as Prey or Dishonored but regardless of MS this is the same Bethesda that dropped F76, the same company that sold you emojis and white wood laminate for $5, and ran out of f**** canvas for $200 a pop. Most underdeveloped African nations run cars newer than their engine.

I am by no means against the revival of what those titles stood for even if I don't get to play them or get them delayed on the PS5 but... Bethesda has been spiraling down a long time and arguably by now lost most of the quality devs (i.e. situation with Mass Effect after EA) I'd just keep my expectations low.

• Like 1

When you can’t produce quality exclusives so you must do an enormous financial takeover so that you can force others to make them for you ?

This is a huge deal since TES & Fallout series are the main games for many Playstation players.

The only way Sony wins this long-term is if they buy a damn Take-Two.

It would end everything since no casual gamer (which are the huge majority) would want to buy a console on which they can’t play GTA.

Edited by Amonares

11 minutes ago, Ember-Man said:

When you can’t produce quality exclusives so you must do an enormous financial takeover so that you can force others to make them for you.

This is a huge deal since TES & Fallout series are the main games for many Playstation players.

It would end everything since no casual gamer (which are the huge majority) would want to buy a console on which they can’t play GTA.

Sony's net worth is 45 billion, they can't afford them

Microsoft has a net worth of over 1 trillion, they could buy whoever they want of western devs

Edited by SnowxSakura

2 hours ago, peffsi said:

I'd say it would be a stupid move too, but for different reasons.

Sony made Insomniac, and they can easily break it, if MS bought Insomniac,  the IP for Ratchet and Spiderman would still be Sony, all  MS would get is another underperforming Sunshine Overdrive or new ip with no confidence about it, while Sony would give their two titles to a different dev(s). ReC might have a little backlash since it was created by  Insomniac  but Spiderman matters more for the name, Guerrilla could make a similiar if better work.

The 250 millions, I disagree it's few for them, Sony does not have the manpower of MS, but the fact of the matter is: they spent it to avoid microsoft having another Sunshine Overdrive, which, frankly, some could be even grateful for it, not to produce other Spidermans or ReC, Sony already got those in the bag, and without them, Insomniac is dead, with or without acquisition.

On 23/09/2020 at 1:49 AM, Valkirye22 said:

Based on what though? Mind you, I too loved some of the titles from the post you are replying to but...

Fallout has been stagnant after F3/New Vegas, F4 certainly wasn't groundbreaking or innovative and lest we forget Fallout 76? For the sake of gaming we shouldn't. Bethesda didn't push for another good Dishonored or Prey game they went with live service shenanigans I have serious doubts about the quality of the future Fallout game.

Doom has gone downhill since 2016 (which was amazing imho) but not as much as Fallout. Wolfenstein went full retard with Youngblood and was tripping by the point TNC came out, again after such a good game TNO was. I hope they push for more quality products such as Prey or Dishonored but regardless of MS this is the same Bethesda that dropped F76, the same company that sold you emojis and white wood laminate for $5, and ran out of f**** canvas for $200 a pop. Most underdeveloped African nations run cars newer than their engine.

I am by no means against the revival of what those titles stood for even if I don't get to play them or get them delayed on the PS5 but... Bethesda has been spiraling down a long time and arguably by now lost most of the quality devs (i.e. situation with Mass Effect after EA) I'd just keep my expectations low.

Based on the fact that I love Fallout and the hope that Fallout 5 would be more like 4 rather than 76.

I had no problems with Fallout 4 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't say much about 76. Dishonoured 2 was awesome and not sure that Prey needed a sequel anyway. All I can hope is they learnt a lot from 76 and think "yeah let's not do that shit again."

I'll have to take your word for it there because I haven't played Doom or Wolfenstein. The amount Microsoft spent getting them you'd expect them to demand quality so fingers crossed it returns.

Yeah true, unfortunately it's all wait and see atm. Hopefully their future games won't be exclusives and will be awesome as they were in the past. Who knows maybe Microsoft buying them will be the best thing to happen to Bethesda and get them back on track.

Edited by Feral
Brain fell out
  • Like 1

I’ll be honest, I think this is a massive game changer for Xbox. This gen Sony really did do better with exclusives, but you can’t deny that game pass is far better than PS Now (also it’s been a while since I’ve played Xbox but is that not included in your yearly price for online?) I bought my PS4 for Fallout 4 so if Microsoft made a new iteration of the franchise an exclusive, I would probably buy one to play it ?

On 9/21/2020 at 10:04 AM, Maaden_Swe said:

Well this was a slap to the face.

MS just bought Bethesda and everything with it, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DOOM, Wolfenstein, etc.

Will be interesting to see if it will make Phil Spencer a liar again, the man who in June said that he dont wanna divide players, everything should be avaliable for everyone, bla bla bla.

Could be a sad day.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1iLtcvwY6Nb1GeKADyDUEX/why-microsoft-is-the-perfect-fit?

Not really, considering that with Game Pass, all those franchises will be gutted of all vitality (at least what's left from the vitality that Zenimax didn't kill off themselves).  The subscription service model of game development does not lend itself well to expending large sums of money into individual titles as they'll never generate the kind of revenue via subscriptions that they would as successful standalone titles.  My guess is that Microsoft will likely insist on their shiny new studios to install inconveniences in all their games so they could sell the solutions in the form of recurrent small currency transactions.  This is terrible news for fans of Bethesda and ID Software games.  This is bad news for the developers at these studios and this is bad for gaming in general.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:04 AM, Venocide said:

Not a huge loss, I consider Bethesda to be one of the most overrated devs ever, I dislike pretty much every single game they've put out. 

From what show is the anime girl on the right side your signature from?

9 hours ago, Ember-Man said:

When you can’t produce quality exclusives so you must do an enormous financial takeover so that you can force others to make them for you. ?

I wouldn't care about Microsoft acquiring Take-Two on a personal level as I find the entire GTA series utterly repulsive and have been since I first became aware of it with GTA III.  I find the notion of playing a villain in something resembling a real live setting wholly unappealing.  As such, I harbor a great deal of both antipathy and resentment toward the absolutely phenomenal popularity of the franchise.  Moreover, the GTA series is why I will never give Rockstar my money.

On the other hand, I would be upset on an abstract level if they were acquired by any platform owner as I think it would give any platform owner too much influence to have ownership of such a high profile publisher like Take-Two.  As far as I'm concerned, the acquisition of Take-Two Interactive by Sony, Microsoft, Amazon, or Google would be bad for gaming and gamers in general.

11 hours ago, Vergil said:

If Sony were to buy a studio, Platinum games would be my choice definitely. Quality games there with right funds. 

But imagine if they just start to buy devs left and right. Would be very anti costumer. 

I think it's unlikely for Sony to buy Platinum Games as they've received investment money from Tencent.  If Sony tried to acquire them, I suspect Tencent would outbid them in order to retain their investment in the studio.

Edited by LordBilbanes

1 hour ago, LordBilbanes said:

I think it's unlikely for Sony to buy Platinum Games as they've received investment money from Tencent.  If Sony tried to acquire them, I suspect Tencent would outbid them in order to retain their investment in the studio.

Damm. I checked em out. Never knew they were that big! 

52 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

It won’t. For starters, those games are already being developed on PS5.

For at least a full generation the big titles will come to all platforms. (not like we will see more than Starfield, TES 6 and.. maaaybe another, but thats it). Now, if Xbox is sucesfull this gen on consoles sold, it might switch the exclusives on for the next one to seal the deal. It would be dumb to not sell the biggest IPs everywhere if Sony sells a hundred million consoles again.

People are looking only at Bethesda and not the bigger picture. The parent company has holdings in various VR projects as well as a cloud service. Microsoft is going hard for that monopoly now. The end goal is to have a finger in every pie and even the competition is going to have to pay them soon when they own almost all of the infrastructure

• Like 1

I love Bethesda. I don’t know what to think of this. People say Microsoft didn’t pay 7.5 billion without a reason and there is a very high chance big future exclusives were taken away from Sony. All we can do now is wait for more information and hope we will still get to play (big) Bethesda games on Playstation. I would dislike it a lot if the next Fallout would be an XBOX exclusive.

To see that the newest Life Is Strange and the Outer Worlds DLC is XBOX only (and PC?) was saddening but this news is huge.

This seems like it could be potentially amazing for a player like me.

I don't play games on release, and if they tackle this by doing timed exclusives, it could mean that after a year has passed, we get a "complete edition" on PS5, for half or quarter of the original price, with all the glitches fixed. ? Something similiar to Rise of the Tomb Raider.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

Not really, considering that with Game Pass, all those franchises will be gutted of all vitality (at least what's left from the vitality that Zenimax didn't kill off themselves).  The subscription service model of game development does not lend itself well to expending large sums of money into individual titles as they'll never generate the kind of revenue via subscriptions that they would as successful standalone titles.  My guess is that Microsoft will likely insist on their shiny new studios to install inconveniences in all their games so they could sell the solutions in the form of recurrent small currency transactions.  This is terrible news for fans of Bethesda and ID Software games.  This is bad news for the developers at these studios and this is bad for gaming in general.

From what show is the anime girl on the right side your signature from?

I wouldn't care about Microsoft acquiring Take-Two on a personal level as I find the entire GTA series utterly repulsive and have been since I first became aware of it with GTA III.  I find the notion of playing a villain in something resembling a real live setting wholly unappealing.  As such, I harbor a great deal of both antipathy and resentment toward the absolutely phenomenal popularity of the franchise.  Moreover, the GTA series is why I will never give Rockstar my money.

On the other hand, I would be upset on an abstract level if they were acquired by any platform owner as I think it would give any platform owner too much influence to have ownership of such a high profile publisher like Take-Two.  As far as I'm concerned, the acquisition of Take-Two Interactive by Sony, Microsoft, Amazon, or Google would be bad for gaming and gamers in general.

I'm not venocide, but their avatar is from Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai or Uzaki chan is annoying

Honestly, at most I can see Bethesda games being a timed exclusive for Xbox and PC eventually coming over to Playstation. I don't think the existing IP's will be Xbox exclusives, only new IP's that Microsoft helped finance or something along those lines.

If this is the case I'm fine with that. Bethesda isn't my favorite company and none of their games are really a loss to me (other than The Evil Within), and waiting a year or so in order to get the ultimate edition is what I like doing anyway.

Imagine if Microsoft bought Square Enix or Capcom. I'm quite surprised they haven't tried to buy a Japanese studio because even Phil Spencer himself has admitted many times it's an area they need to improve upon. With there recent purchase though they do have Tango Gameworks which I believe that's a Japanese studio in Tokyo Japan. 

• Like 1