Stream PS5 Games on PS4 via PS Now?

thefourfoldroot

Interesting question I think. I know there will likely be restrictions because of not having the Dualsense controller but, assuming PS5 games will be added to PS Now (which they undoubtedly will), do you think we’ll be able to stream to a PS4.

Im getting PS5 anyway, and I kind of hope this doesn’t happen because I don’t want the whole industry going subscription based, but do you think this will happen? and would you use a PS5 streaming service if it was limited to lower resolutions? If not immediately then later down the line? 

I don't think PS5 games will be added to Now for a while after launch. Possibly a year. When/if PS5 games are added, I'll be curious how that'll be handled. It's possible to require the PS4 to be online so that the necessary extra processing of the PS5 can be offloaded through Now.

I don't know if they have the virtualization of the PS5 even planned out. I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 games are not added to Now ever, and it's kept as a PS3 and PS4 library. Maybe a new service that does something similar but only has PS5 titles will be introduced.

The more I think about it, the more I actually don't think PS5 games will come to PS Now. And if they do, they will require a PS5.

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I don't think PS5 games will be added to Now for a while after launch. Possibly a year. When/if PS5 games are added, I'll be curious how that'll be handled. It's possible to require the PS4 to be online so that the necessary extra processing of the PS5 can be offloaded through Now.

I don't know if they have the virtualization of the PS5 even planned out. I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 games are not added to Now ever, and it's kept as a PS3 and PS4 library. Maybe a new service that does something similar but only has PS5 titles will be introduced.

The more I think about it, the more I actually don't think PS5 games will come to PS Now. And if they do, they will require a PS5.

I think everything is set up for subscription services to be the next big battleground. With MS already confirming all next gen first party games are added to Gamepass, Sony would simply be throwing in the towel if PS5 games were not added to some extent.

When they are streamed no local processing is required, streaming doesn’t need local power, that’s why MS can send Gamepass to phones and Sony can send it to weak laptops and used to send to smart TVs.

Thinking about it, it would be ludicrous if Sony let you stream PS5 games to mobile and other devices and not a PS4, and it would also be ludicrous not to allow streaming to those devices. The only benefit would be selling more loss making hardware.

Of course the infrastructure may not be in place for a year or so...

Really don’t know how this is all going to pan out.

3 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

When they are streamed no local processing is required, streaming doesn’t need local power, that’s why MS can send Gamepass to phones and Sony can send it to weak laptops and used to send to smart TVs.

Thinking about it, it would be ludicrous if Sony let you stream PS5 games to mobile and other devices and not a PS4, and it would also be ludicrous not to allow streaming to those devices. The only benefit would be selling more loss making hardware.

What was thinking about is PS4 titles are allowed to be downloaded. This makes sense because it's processed locally at that point. I don't know if Now requires an always-on connection once a PS4 download happens.

If downloading isn't possible on non-Playstation devices, then the always on connection can do the (theoretical) PS5 processing.

It'll be a really confusing PS4 user experience for new users if they can download some titles, but not others, and need to be online for some titles, but not others.

Time will tell.

For PS5 games to be streamable to a PS4, you'd need either the game to be compatible with a Dualshock 4 or the Dualsense to be compatible with your PS4, neither of which is looking to be the case. I'm sure PS5 games will come to PS Now eventually unless the Plus Collection is meant to eventually replace it, which seems unlikely.

49 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

What was thinking about is PS4 titles are allowed to be downloaded. This makes sense because it's processed locally at that point. I don't know if Now requires an always-on connection once a PS4 download happens.

If downloading isn't possible on non-Playstation devices, then the always on connection can do the (theoretical) PS5 processing.

It'll be a really confusing PS4 user experience for new users if they can download some titles, but not others, and need to be online for some titles, but not others.

Time will tell.

It doesn’t require anything accept a once per week connection to allow the license. Yes, a connection is required to stream anything. Sony have stacks of ps3s snd I presume PS4 (at least the “guys” so I don’t see why they can’t do the same with ps5s. It’s already the case that only PS4 games can be downloaded and ps3 only streamed. There are separate menus.

31 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

For PS5 games to be streamable to a PS4, you'd need either the game to be compatible with a Dualshock 4 or the Dualsense to be compatible with your PS4, neither of which is looking to be the case. I'm sure PS5 games will come to PS Now eventually unless the Plus Collection is meant to eventually replace it, which seems unlikely.

Not really. PS3 games are playable snd that was never compatible with a ds4. Obviously haptics etc would be lost.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

1 hour ago, Xylobe said:

The PS3 is compatible with a Dualshock 4, other than gyro controls and the PS button.

Really. Didn’t know that. Learn something new every day. Still not really important though, the controller “commands” are not processed by the console during streaming, everything is sent back and forth over the servers.

Edited by thefourfoldroot