Currently on sale, worth jumping in as a new player?

Hey, sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but i checked all the forum posts and mostly could just see trophy discussion.

Obviously, The Division 2 is currently on sale and im wondering, as a Division newbie, whether the game is still 'active' and decent enough to play?

I never really jumped into it but was always a bit interested, i like MMO type gameplay and quite like shooters but never really got into the PS4 when Division 2 came out (and was playing another MMO almost religiously).

Ive seen some good reviews, some bad but mostly its reviews and stuff from 2 years ago.

Just wanted some opinions ^^

• Like 1

It's not great gameplay wise or trophy wise, nothing I can really put my finger but it's just kind of dull. The servers are quite busy but it can sometimes be hard to find a group for something specific (I've been trying for weeks for a group to finish the first season manhunt target) but if you just join a random main mission on higher difficulties you will matchmake immediately.

The original is far superior in every way and I would recommend that highly if you haven't played it already.

• Like 2

I would say that the game is still lively in both PVE and PVP. It's still getting updates too, in fact there is a new update this week that requires you to go up 100 floors in one go. It's more on the shooter side than an MMORPG, still stats and builds do matter especially for raids and harder difficulties. Is it new player friendly? I guess? You don't really need to play the first one in order to get into the second. Though the matchmaking is kinda broken, if you try to match-make or respond to a distress call it might match you with a high level player.

It's a pretty decent game for PVE if you play by yourself (in terms of solo play and playing with randoms) and a great game with friends. Though like most MMORPG's after you hit end game the open world aspect of the game just ends as there's nothing for you to do, instead you'll be re-doing missions and eventually 8 player raids. And now the new Summit mode.

Though PVP will be a nightmare as a solo player. It is no way necessary in order to get high level gear though. Like the first game everyone in the PVP section of The Division 2 have gear optimized solely for PVP and run tight coordinated groups. But like PVE if you have friends and love PVP this one will be right up your alley. Of course there's the traditional PVP, where its 4v4 but I don't really have much experience in this aspect.

• Like 2

The Division is one of the best loot shooters out there but it really shines if you have friends to play with or can find a good group to join as its a lot of fun.

I have been playing some with randoms lately and everyone i connected with has been great to play with.

The game is plenty active still and with a new seasonal manhunt just started its a good time to start IMO.

The trophy list is fair and nothing too difficult. Just dont expect it to be handed to you in a few hours. :P

• Like 2

In its current state?  No.

The trophy list is easy aside from the two raids and some of the DZ ones.  However, they just released Title Update 11 and it is full of bugs (on top of already existing bugs) and the new PvE mode, The Summit, IMO is extremely boring.  It's supposed to be a 100 floor skyscraper, but none of the rooms have windows so you feel like you're stuck in a warehouse.  Aside from how monotonous it gets the loot just isn't worth it.  Massive billed it as the ultimate replayable mode yet effectively cut out half of the content by allowing players to start on floor 51 instead of 1 to jump right into Heroic difficulty.  There are only a few actual mission objectives and over the course of 100 floors you will see them all multiple times.  The only real challenge is when you get to Legendary difficulty with the forced directives.

Leveling your agent up and going through the story is actually pretty good.  The environments are great and the shooting mechanics, for the most part, are well done.  The endgame is where it really falls apart though.  PvP is awful, as Redstorm, the team that was working on PvP, no longer works on the game.  Massive is now in charge of PvP and are just doing balancing passes.  No new DZ, no new modes, just adjusting values. 

The first raid is solely a DPS check and the second raid is EXTREMELY heavy on mechanics.  You will need a good group with good communication to get through it.  Both have Discovery Mode now, which removes quite a few of the mechanics and adds matchmaking.  If you want to run the normal version of the raid you will need a pre-made group with DPS, healers, and tanks.

It's still pretty easy to find groups using matchmaking for missions that have good targeted loot, but other times you might just be running solo depending on what you're looking to do.

Massive has also said right now there are no plans to upgrade the game for next gen consoles.  It will run using backwards compatibility, but there won't be any bumps to the graphics or framerates.  On top of that, aside from the seasons, the only other piece of content they are releasing this year is a timed event called Operation: Nightmare.  I'm guessing after that they will just be patching the game instead of adding new content.  Division 1 is still the superior game.

Hope that helps.  :)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies so far! 

Looks like i'm going to be buying it and giving it a shot :D
Im not too fussed about 'proper' end game PVE. I just want to play some more loot grinders. Not everyones cup of tea i know but after playing Avengers + Diablo3 last couple of weeks, it would be nice to combine that aspect with the shooting aspect. 

I think its an okay experience. It's really not great and the continuous bugs and glitches make it hard to recommend. The trophies are very easy with the exception of the two raids, but I can definitely say that the game is pretty boring if you play alone.

For reference, I got it for $3 and I felt that was a fair price for the base game.

If you like busywork, this is a decent game. Lots of stuff to collect, lots of time wasted. They made a couple of things better than the previous game (you have more agency in the world, can stumble upon npc's that are patrolling, help a group of npc gather materials for their settlement, more complex shooting mechanics etc), and a couple of things worse (more complex shooting mechanics, where's mah snow, the engine is called snowdrop engine, gimme dat snow etc).

Definitely worth more than 3 usd in my opinion.

edit: But yeah, there are bugs... like sound just stopping out of nowhere n stuff.

Edited by Dekaku