Game keeps crashing

ragtag7

Not sure if anyone has experienced this, but my game got to the point where I can no longer travel to a specific area. The game would just lock up and freeze every single time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this because I'm close to getting the plat and I would hate to have to start all over just to get it working again.

8 minutes ago, ragtag7 said:

Not sure if anyone has experienced this, but my game got to the point where I can no longer travel to a specific area. The game would just lock up and freeze every single time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this because I'm close to getting the plat and I would hate to have to start all over just to get it working again.

Tell me the area and what exactly you want to do and i'll try to help you out. if there is a solution be sure I know it:)

4 minutes ago, Cobbsquatch said:

Probably best of just deleting it and forgetting it exists lmao..

Bugthesda game studios - 9GAG

LMAO

1 minute ago, I_Aden_I said:

Tell me the area and what exactly you want to do and i'll try to help you out. if there is a solution be sure I know it:)

It's the area right before you get to a graveyard where one of the bobbleheads are located. Its the Luck bobblehead that I need but I can't get to that location because that entire vicinity just loves to crash.

17 minutes ago, ragtag7 said:

LMAO

It's the area right before you get to a graveyard where one of the bobbleheads are located. Its the Luck bobblehead that I need but I can't get to that location because that entire vicinity just loves to crash.

Easiest way to get there save is through the fleeded metro between willems warf and the citadel. Brings you right into the arlington area a bit south from your destination. If that doesn't work you'll have to get there from the north. Travel to the northern outside of arlington and set a manual marker to the middle of the area. The map will show you a nearby metro to enter.

If even this won't work, start a new game and just run for the bubbleheads. You can do this even on lvl 2.

I platinumed F3 and New Vegas earlier this year.

Once your save file goes over 10mb, the games performance issues increase dramatically.

- Create new saves only, not overwrite

- Backup saves frequently 

- Delete old saves

- Less than 10 saves total at a time 

- Don’t use energy weapons

• Like 4

I appreciate all the advice guys, and I'll try to attempt them. It was just super discouraging and just put me on a crappy mood when it happened. I still dont want to have to make a new game just to do things again, but I guess if it comes to it then I'll just do it.

Edited by ragtag7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dakk55 said:

You must be new here.

Selling a Finished Game Without Bugs or Glitches Rash Raccoon BETHESDA GAME  STUDIOS We Dom't Do That Here <p>Bethesda! It Just Works!<p> | Game Meme on  ME.ME

But seriously, try making a separate save and reload. When the save gets to big, it tends to cause issues with the game itself. 

LOL love this.

I mean, I've mostly played their games on PC starting with Skyrim for a bit with a tiny amount of mods to fix issues, but I've never experienced anything quite like this. The fact that people have to take these steps just to enjoy Fallout 3 is absolutely bonkers to me.

Going to give it a shot soon.

"Hey everybody, this is Three Dog, your friendly neighborhood disc jockey. What’s a disc? Hell if I know. But I’m gonna keep talkin’ anyway!

Listen kiddos, never forget the importance of periodic saves. Physical copy, digital download, GOTY edition, I don’t care which. If you thinking running from Megaton to Rivet City without a save won't give you the blues, the only Wasteland asshole that's gonna get hurt is you. So be smart, save often, and if your frame rate starts to drop those trophies will not pop!"

Yeah, crashes are like Fallout 3 canon. Generally the bigger your save file gets (i.e. more playtime / progress) the more likely this is. Sometimes you'll notice lag without a crash but it usually means one is coming, so save and reload. And if you're going for the DLC I personally recommend doing Point Lookout first -- my file was particularly crash prone there to the point that it took me around a dozen attempts to take the boat back to the Wasteland without crashing. Still an awesome game, good luck @ragtag7!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ya_Boy_James said:

"Hey everybody, this is Three Dog, your friendly neighborhood disc jockey. What’s a disc? Hell if I know. But I’m gonna keep talkin’ anyway!

Listen kiddos, never forget the importance of periodic saves. Physical copy, digital download, GOTY edition, I don’t care which. If you thinking running from Megaton to Rivet City without a save won't give you the blues, the only Wasteland asshole that's gonna get hurt is you. So be smart, save often, and if your frame rate starts to drop those trophies will not pop!"

Yeah, crashes are like Fallout 3 canon. Generally the bigger your save file gets (i.e. more playtime / progress) the more likely this is. Sometimes you'll notice lag without a crash but it usually means one is coming, so save and reload. And if you're going for the DLC I personally recommend doing Point Lookout first -- my file was particularly crash prone there to the point that it took me around a dozen attempts to take the boat back to the Wasteland without crashing. Still an awesome game, good luck @ragtag7!

Thanks for the motivation and the DLC tip!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As already mentioned yeah the save file getting bigger the more u play and the more locations you find. 

For both the PS3 version of Skyrim and Fallout 3 I had to keep many older saves and try to do much as I could with a fresh character for the DLCs and stuff.

A shame as I kept the megaton house as it takes less loading screens to get there then the one in Tenpenny Tower.

Also I had the disk and installed the DlC separately. A great game that sadly never truly got fixed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DOG-MAGE said:

As already mentioned yeah the save file getting bigger the more u play and the more locations you find. 

For both the PS3 version of Skyrim and Fallout 3 I had to keep many older saves and try to do much as I could with a fresh character for the DLCs and stuff.

A shame as I kept the megaton house as it takes less loading screens to get there then the one in Tenpenny Tower.

Also I had the disk and installed the DlC separately. A great game that sadly never truly got fixed.

Yeah, I stopped playing it altogether this year, it just really killed my mood. I'm going to definitely revisit this game next year, I really want to get all the trophies at some point.

• Like 2

On 20/12/2020 at 0:19 AM, ragtag7 said:

Yeah, I stopped playing it altogether this year, it just really killed my mood. I'm going to definitely revisit this game next year, I really want to get all the trophies at some point.

Good luck, even with all the precautions it can still be a nightmare at times but with many saves at the right point it’s not quite as tedious ?.

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, dany4k_93 said:

My save is at 7.9mb and it's starting to get real slow. I really have to rush If I want to do the plat without starting another save.

If you are doing the DLC, from that save, I recommend making it your master save then keep a separate for each individual DLC. I did all of them on one save and by the time I got to the last one I had to wait several minutes for it to load and let me walk without falling apart. Pity because you can't really keep your progress but at least you can play them and enjoy them more than I did.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 5:57 AM, AJ_-_808 said:

Mine got to a point right at the end of the last DLC where it was crashing every 20 steps.  Took a lot of patience and slow advancing and saving every minute to finish it

Yeah I had similar issues where I had to finish a DLC and reload back to before I did it, before taking on the next one. The crashes were 5/6/7 times a quest. Very frustrating, and made all of them slightly more difficult due to dropping levels and found loot every time.

I know  in Skyrim, part of the issue for the save files getting so big was that it saved every time you opened containers and in a game where you loot everything, that is a lot of data to carry around. I remember not looting almost anything near the end just essentials, maybe that will help in Fallout 3 if you have a melee build and don't need ammo.

2 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

If you are doing the DLC, from that save, I recommend making it your master save then keep a separate for each individual DLC. I did all of them on one save and by the time I got to the last one I had to wait several minutes for it to load and let me walk without falling apart. Pity because you can't really keep your progress but at least you can play them and enjoy them more than I did.

Nah I'm just doing the base game, enough punishment ?

• Like 1