First time playing, start with Normal or Classic?

TalalHmd

Judging by what Powerpyx posted the combat, ammo management and driving are far more "challenging".

I put it in quotations mainly due to the fact the difficulty comes from arguably shi**ier driving controls and mechanics rather than straightforward difficulty.

I think I'll go medium first, get as much other stuff as I can, enjoy and explore. Later just do a Classic run skipping what can be skipped.

• Like 1

Driving Assists - off or turned to low depending on the assist.

GPS is present on the mini-map but there are no markers or breadcrumb trail in-game.

Traffic violations are enabled. Cops will pull you over for speeding, running red lights, and wild driving. You have to pull over and pay fines or risk being a big chase in very weak cars.

Enemies do more damage, use cover more, attempt to flank more often, and do not appear on your mini-map.

Ammo management - if you reload with bullets in the clip then you lose those bullets when replacing the clip with a new one.

Health - health regen only goes to 20% and health kits heal for less.

https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-definitive-edition-classic-difficulty/

They say it is close to how the original game played but with a slight change to make it less annoying in places.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 2020-09-25 at 8:09 AM, TJ_Solo said:

Driving Assists - off or turned to low depending on the assist.

GPS is present on the mini-map but there are no markers or breadcrumb trail in-game.

Traffic violations are enabled. Cops will pull you over for speeding, running red lights, and wild driving. You have to pull over and pay fines or risk being a big chase in very weak cars.

Enemies do more damage, use cover more, attempt to flank more often, and do not appear on your mini-map.

Ammo management - if you reload with bullets in the clip then you lose those bullets when replacing the clip with a new one.

Health - health regen only goes to 20% and health kits heal for less.

https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-definitive-edition-classic-difficulty/

They say it is close to how the original game played but with a slight change to make it less annoying in places.

So from what I can gather, the purpose of doing an easy run first is simply to familiarize yourself with the game, make gathering collectibles a bit easier etc.?There’s no other advantage to doing 2 playthroughs such as weapons/upgrades or whatever carrying over like an NG+ system?

All the guides recommend doing 2 runs, and they make Classic difficulty sound pretty hard, but I’ve seen a lot of people say they had no problem doing one playthrough and managed to shave 10+ hours off the platinum by doing this. I’m trying to decide what the best course of action would be.

Ok, so for anybody else in the near future who is thinking about starting this game and wasting energy agonizing over this decision...

The trophy guides all make Classic difficulty sound really hard, so I was initially having a tough time deciding whether to follow all the guide’s recommendations of doing 2 runs, or whether to just go straight to Classic mode. In the end I said fuck it and decided to start right on Classic, and began mentally preparing myself for a really rough time.

However... so far it’s really not all it’s cracked up to be. In the span of just one afternoon, I’ve managed to make it through the first 8 or 9 chapters (including the infamous Ch.5 track race) without much difficulty at all. At this point I’m very glad I decided to go this route, as I think doing 2 playthroughs would have turned out to be extremely unnecessary and cost me an extra 10-15 hours at least.

TIPS for CLASSIC difficulty

1) Turn the aim assist setting to HIGH.

You won’t be penalized for doing this, and it really trivializes the most difficult combat encounters.

2) Enable the ‘Skip Drive’ feature in the Game Options.

This is entirely up to you, as the driving in the game can be really enjoyable and some players won’t wish to skip these parts. But if you’re looking to speed through Classic mode as fast and painlessly as possible, the ability to skip the drives between story objectives (press DOWN on the D-pad) will shave many hours off the platinum time,

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Classic is the equivalent of Veteran difficulty in Call of Duty. You can't go in guns blazing because you're just going to die over and over and over, not making any progress. The key to Classic difficulty is to take is slow, steady and methodically. 

There are a lot of gunfights and limited places for you to regain health. I think a 6 out of 10 in difficulty is a pretty accurate measure for the average gamer. I'm not great at third person shooters, or any shooters for that matter, but Classic isn't as terrible as some people make it out to be.

• Like 2