Chapter 5 The Race Discussions

Oo_pommes_oO

Totally doable. Took me 1,5 Hours on Classic.

The first real corner is the biggest gamble, if you get through there, you will catch up with them.

The X-button is your best friend.

Let go of the gas and brake (just a bit) if necessary. Use the X to 'slide' through the corners.

As long a you are second, you will win (no.1 will crash in the last (oval) corner).

29 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Why is it no matter what without fail whenever someone posts anything at all regardless of what it is there ALWAYS has to be one or more that can't help but leave asshole comments? Just don't freak'n say anything at all!

You are referring to me?

On 06/10/2020 at 1:07 AM, Radford999 said:

I know, right? It’s not hard at all. I was expecting it to be some sort of impossible race the way people were going off. Took me like 20 minutes. I restarted the race a bunch of times after the first corner. But that’s it. 

I found the last chapter way harder than the race.

Took me 1.5 hours, so I agree. Generally speaking the 1st turn (hairpin) and the 5th turn (the one before the s-chicane) are the really tough ones but once you're in the lead you can just be super, super conservative on these turns and brake mad early. It only took 3 'full attempts', the rest of my time was re-starting after messing up in the first lap.

Full list of tips for each and every corner below, for anyone who wants to try.

Race Tips:
Lap 1
This is the most critical lap as you need to gain places reasonably quickly and have to be more aggressive in Turn 1. Laps 2 and 3 are more abaout managing your lead by being conservative. Full breakdown of the track, corner by corner, for those who wants some help.

1st turn (Hairpin) – when approaching the turn brake heavily and ram whilst turning. Be hyper-aggressive here, it’ll either work or won’t and you can just restart. By using ram feature you can essentially use the other cars as a barrier so you don't go into the sand/dirt and skid off, ruining your lap. Taking this turn from an inside angle may help. It's better to go around and be slower/get into collisions than skid off. This is an easier turn in laps 2 and 3 when there are less cars around.
2nd turndon't brake; instead just decelerate slightly by letting go of accelerate, and cut the corner using as much grass as possible (essentially 'undertaking' others). You lose barely any speed.
3rd turnsame again - don't brake; instead just decelerate slightly by letting go of accelerate, and cut the corner using as much grass as possible (essentially 'undertaking' others). You lose barely any speed. This corner in particular is brilliant for gaining places, it's very possible to go from 9th-10th to 3rd-4th in this turn alone!
4th turn brake and ram. This turn is easier than the 1st, but don't be too over-eager either. If you aren’t about 4th-5th at this precise point then just restart.
5th turn – the 2nd hardest turn in the whole course. Brake and ram , even if there are no cars to bounce off this time so you get a sharper turning radius. This one can take some practise, but generally, it's better to be conservative with this corner.
Mini “S” Chicane – this isn't really a turn, but a very annoying little chicane on the middle of the straight between turns 5 and 6. Decelerate slightly by letting go of accelerate and follow the natural turn of the chicane as much as possible. Don’t even bother approaching with max speed/doing the jump. It either spins you out or you'll luck out and land with virtually no lead gained anyway.
6th turn Easy from here. Lightly brake and stay on the road. Don’t try cut this corner as you did with turns 2 and 3 as from experience you’ll more often spin out.
7th turn don't brake; instead just decelerate slightly by letting go of accelerate
8th turn (Bowl)Approach mid-right at speed (If you aren't in 1st, follow the line the other cars take as a reference) and hold LS hard left until you’re on the final straight. No need to brake.
– Straight (end of lap) – accelerate full force and hold RS to look behind you the entire time you’re on the straight until the finish line (shouldn’t lose course). Make sure no one over takes you (yes, even on Lap 1).

Laps 2 – 3
If you're in 1st - 4th, you have every chance at winning this. Herein, your laps should be conservative. I wouldn't bother ever using speed boost.

The main difference is that with the 1st hairpin turn, be conservative . Brake very early both times, and don't rely on ram, only using it if you feel you'll spin out. Caution, caution, caution with this turn. Even if you temporarily lose a spot its okay, you can usually make it up by cutting the grass in turns 2 and 3.

The other main turn to watch out for is Turn 5. I lost on the 3rd lap with a clear lead TWICE because I spun out of this turn by trying to go too fast out of sheer adrenaline. Again, just be cautious and don't rely on ram unless you think you're going to spin out.

Finally, on the home straight (after the bowl turn), please ALWAYS hold RS to look behind you the entire time and try and blocl/cut off the other cars. As long as your course is straight and central, you don’t need to worry about hitting the barrier. Others can (and will) overtake you out of nowhere right at the other end otherwise, on any difficulty. Really cheap and annoying, especially after a brilliant run.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 2

Took me 3 hours of trying. The thing is it isn't hard or challenging but just plain frustrating, annoying and pointless. Totally ruined the experience of the platinum.

My tips -

1) Tap 'X' after slowing down on sharp edges

2) If you get 1st dont stress on rushing the race, get a little slower focus on finishing the race

3) Block the AI when you get on the last straight section of race!

CHEERS! :D

• Like 1

I’ll add my bit, now i’ve recently done it...

So, I did the race after doing 8 full races, where I was finishing between 5th-2nd and then eventually 1st.

Took me around 35-40mins roughly and I did reset a few times, after a few spin outs and hitting the first corner too hard.

Difficulty will always be subjective, what is one mans easy is another mans hard, so after learning that the race is more imo frustrating rather than outright difficult lets say, I told myself that it was more than doable with a bit of patience and ultimately a touch of skill and holding my nerve (meaning not to get too cocky if I was leading, which I did a few times and it cost me).

Im not gonna repeat all the methods folk here have already said, as the variation of them all work and I adapted my way to alot of them. Only things really, are be aggressive by tapping X at the start to get into the group by the time you hit the first bend just to get in a better position, tap X on most corners as this almost ‘handbrake pulls’ you into the bend moving you round quicker and the one thing that helped me (not necessarily others) was gating first place if you are 2nd for most of the race as I found this stopped me from trying to steam ahead which was causing me to crash more prior to winning (remember I mentioned getting too cocky). You will overtake them at some point as it feels inevitable and I did this on the first raised bend (where the first scripting crash happens) on the final lap and was never caught after it.

Apologies for the wall of txt hehe. Good luck to those still after it!

On 26/09/2020 at 6:13 PM, GUDGER666 said:

Some people on here telling others how to play and boasting about how they found something easy... Seriously stfu. Play and earn your trophies however you want, acting like they have never had any help at anything in their life, get over yourselves. Where talking about virtual trophies here ffs. If how someone plays and earns a trophy bothers you then you're just sad. 

Yeah we are talking about virtual trophies that you're going out of your way to get someone else to do for you on your profile so clearly you care about it. Then proceed to call others "sad" and "stfu". We might as well give everyone insta platinums for turning on the game the way you want it to be. LMAO

I actually have this game sitting on my coffee table right now. I just can't seem to force myself to play it. I don't know why but I am just not interested in it right now. In fact, after reading about this race and how it is a huge platinum trophy blocker, I just don't want to waste my time. It is not even about the trophy so much as it is the fact that I am the type of person who wants to platinum a game. I know something like this will make it frustrating and upsetting. Do I really want to do that to myself? 

17 minutes ago, StressEater said:

I actually have this game sitting on my coffee table right now. I just can't seem to force myself to play it. I don't know why but I am just not interested in it right now. In fact, after reading about this race and how it is a huge platinum trophy blocker, I just don't want to waste my time. It is not even about the trophy so much as it is the fact that I am the type of person who wants to platinum a game. I know something like this will make it frustrating and upsetting. Do I really want to do that to myself? 

It can’t be THAT difficult consider over 34% here have the trophy for completing Classic difficulty (and over 27% have the plat).  I haven’t played yet but I don’t think I would call it a platinum blocker based on the commonness of the trophies.

I am wondering if ppl don’t have their R2 working properly.  I am playing a racing game and only realize now that I can get times on one controller that I could not get on another controller.  The R2 despite being fully depressed did not get top speeds!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StressEater said:

Speaking from experience it took me 4 days to finally get past the race on classic (really about 5 hours ) and turns out it's a mind fuck it makes you think it's super hard but it's deceptively easy it plays on your past experiences and expectations for racing I know it did me. In reality what u wanna do is get past the first turn at about 9th place and not to far from the pack ahead then start cutting across the grass to get ahead by the second real turn u want to be between 1-3rd place and just try to sadly but quickly get through the rest of the turns u want to stay within that bracket preferably first place by the start of the second lap if not aslong as ur still 1-3rd place your fine now then while the cars behind you might be on your ass. Calm down think on lap 2 and 3 slow down for the turns you will be fine cause everyone behind you will also slow take care on your turns hell almost granny crawl if you have to and everything but the turns go full speed if you are 3rd you will move up by 3rd lap cause 1 car will crash do the same for lap 3 drive fast but take the bad turns slow remain calm don't try to be a badass and drift or whatever and if your second on 3rd lap your pretty golden cause the lead will crash so you become first. Now on the last strait before finish watch your butt cause a car will try to pass just move in infront usually they try on the right but just floor it and casually get infront as that try to pass and you will win.  

Now to explain what I mean about it screwing with you. The first turn up to the second is a random shit fest you may get kicked around or get slowed and you just cannot get ahead to the lead area that's fine you probably won't win but atleast do 1 full lap to practice the high-speed turns for lap 1 rsm (x) is your friend but can screw u up too learn when and how to best use it once u know the turns and how to get through it's all just getting the lucky chance to get ahead 

Also just FYI on lap 2 at the start a few cars may fly past you it's designed to psyc you out you should be able to easily overtake and regain your spot by turn 2 or 3 max cause like I said they granny crawl on lap 2 and 3 for turns it's what kept screwing with me I was so worried I'd just screwed up I just reset it without even trying. Also if you do get 3rd or 2nd on lap 2 and the car crashes at the sideways z bend (if you watch videos everyone says avoid the grass cause u go flying) definitely on your next lap be careful because there's a water truch there now putting out the fire the wreack cause and while before u could take a slight jump from the grass and be fine u will definitely slam into that truck and lose the race so take that turn extra careful if they did wreak there.

So as you can see it's deceptively easy if your aware of stuff :) definitely frustrating if the randomness of the first leg keeps screwing you or your not yet practiced at high speed turns on lap 1

On 9.10.2020 at 3:49 PM, PhantomFear94 said:

Took me 1.5 hours, so I agree. Generally speaking the 1st turn (hairpin) and the 5th turn (the one before the s-chicane) are the really tough ones but once you're in the lead you can just be super, super conservative on these turns and brake mad early. It only took 3 'full attempts', the rest of my time was re-starting after messing up in the first lap.

Full list of tips for each and every corner below, for anyone who wants to try.

Race Tips:
Lap 1
This is the most critical lap as you need to gain places reasonably quickly and have to be more aggressive in Turn 1. Laps 2 and 3 are more abaout managing your lead by being conservative. Full breakdown of the track, corner by corner, for those who wants some help.

1st turn (Hairpin) – when approaching the turn brake heavily and ram whilst turning. Be hyper-aggressive here, it’ll either work or won’t and you can just restart. By using ram feature you can essentially use the other cars as a barrier so you don't go into the sand/dirt and skid off, ruining your lap. Taking this turn from an inside angle may help. It's better to go around and be slower/get into collisions than skid off. This is an easier turn in laps 2 and 3 when there are less cars around.
2nd turndon't brake; instead just decelerate slightly by letting go of accelerate, and cut the corner using as much grass as possible (essentially 'undertaking' others). You lose barely any speed.
3rd turnsame again - don't brake; instead just decelerate slightly by letting go of accelerate, and cut the corner using as much grass as possible (essentially 'undertaking' others). You lose barely any speed. This corner in particular is brilliant for gaining places, it's very possible to go from 9th-10th to 3rd-4th in this turn alone!
4th turn brake and ram. This turn is easier than the 1st, but don't be too over-eager either. If you aren’t about 4th-5th at this precise point then just restart.
5th turn – the 2nd hardest turn in the whole course. Brake and ram , even if there are no cars to bounce off this time so you get a sharper turning radius. This one can take some practise, but generally, it's better to be conservative with this corner.
Mini “S” Chicane – this isn't really a turn, but a very annoying little chicane on the middle of the straight between turns 5 and 6. Decelerate slightly by letting go of accelerate and follow the natural turn of the chicane as much as possible. Don’t even bother approaching with max speed/doing the jump. It either spins you out or you'll luck out and land with virtually no lead gained anyway.
6th turn Easy from here. Lightly brake and stay on the road. Don’t try cut this corner as you did with turns 2 and 3 as from experience you’ll more often spin out.
7th turn don't brake; instead just decelerate slightly by letting go of accelerate
8th turn (Bowl)Approach mid-right at speed (If you aren't in 1st, follow the line the other cars take as a reference) and hold LS hard left until you’re on the final straight. No need to brake.
– Straight (end of lap) – accelerate full force and hold RS to look behind you the entire time you’re on the straight until the finish line (shouldn’t lose course). Make sure no one over takes you (yes, even on Lap 1).

Laps 2 – 3
If you're in 1st - 4th, you have every chance at winning this. Herein, your laps should be conservative. I wouldn't bother ever using speed boost.

The main difference is that with the 1st hairpin turn, be conservative . Brake very early both times, and don't rely on ram, only using it if you feel you'll spin out. Caution, caution, caution with this turn. Even if you temporarily lose a spot its okay, you can usually make it up by cutting the grass in turns 2 and 3.

The other main turn to watch out for is Turn 5. I lost on the 3rd lap with a clear lead TWICE because I spun out of this turn by trying to go too fast out of sheer adrenaline. Again, just be cautious and don't rely on ram unless you think you're going to spin out.

Finally, on the home straight (after the bowl turn), please ALWAYS hold RS to look behind you the entire time and try and blocl/cut off the other cars. As long as your course is straight and central, you don’t need to worry about hitting the barrier. Others can (and will) overtake you out of nowhere right at the other end otherwise, on any difficulty. Really cheap and annoying, especially after a brilliant run.

Couldn't break it down better. Great job mate

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2020 at 4:24 AM, Sinthoras_96 said:

Shareplay sessions incoming lol

Reminds me of the Parcour in Titanfall 2. People these days can't  deal with challenges to earn their platinum trophies. 

Ain’t that the truth. 

Just bought this game the other night, so definitely looking forward to wrapping up the Mafia trilogy.

I just realized there is 2 separate forums for this game and the race tips I posted were apparently in the quieter forum. I’m reposting here in the race mega thread because I spent some time typing this out in the hope it might help one or two people struggling with this!

The original post:

This wasn’t as difficult as I was anticipating. It took me an hour or two, but I learned a lot during that time and thought I’d write up some in-depth tips for anybody having trouble with this in the future. Here’s what I learned:

1. The first corner will make or break the entire race. 
    At the start you want to take the turn from the inside, and if you don’t come around the bend under 8th place you will most likely want to restart immediately to avoid wasting time. Also, no matter how good you think you’re doing in the race, one mistake on this corner in lap 2 or 3 will flush the entire race down the toilet. Perfect this corner before you even think about attempting to win the race. Also note: it’s possible to cut right through the haystacks on your left-hand side. Some players may find this useful.
  2. Use the ram button (X) to drift and straighten out
    For some reason, the ram button functions way better as a drift than the actual handbrake does. The handbrake will just cause you to spin out and lose control. The ram button will actually guide you around corners perfectly. And if you do find yourself starting to spin out, tapping X will actually straighten you out! You should be using this button around almost every corner.
  3. Prepare for your turns
    Whenever you are approaching one of the turns that doesn’t have grass to cut through, you will want to approach from the outer edge of the track, and tap the brake once or twice if you’re approaching the turn at top speed. Approaching from the inside risks forcing you to make a very sharp turn, and will most likely cause you to spin out. However, turning from the inside CAN actually work if you’re side by side with another racer though, as you’ll be able to brace against their vehicle AND push them off the track in one swift move. 
  4. Always cut through the grass. 
    There are 3 points where you can use the grass to your advantage in a major way. Turn #2, #3, and the wide turn after the little ‘S’ bend in the track all have large patches of grass which you can cut through. These will be some of your biggest weapons when it comes to fighting back and overtaking the god tier AI drivers. They will always stay on the track, which gives you a big chance to cut in front of a couple cars!
  5. Use the 4th turn to your advantage
    After cutting through the grass on turns #2 and 3, there will be a scripted crash where the driver shoots straight into the wall on the 4th corner. This corner is a very easy spot to drift around using the X button and overtake one or two drivers. This corner, and the 3 grassy turns, are where you will concentrate all your efforts on gaining ground over the other drivers.
  6. Brake before the S-bend
    That tiny little bend in the track can be extremely problematic if you hit it with speed. You’ll either hit the grassy bump on the right side and fly into the air and completely lose control, or you’ll spin out trying to steer through the curves. So when you’re coming down the long, straight stretch leading up to it, hug the right side of the track, tap the brakes once or twice to slow down a bit, then cut right through the middle of the bend rather than trying to follow the curvature of the track. You should pretty much go straight through with no problem. Note: During the 2nd lap there will be a scripted crash here where the 1st place driver will wipe out.
  7. Maintain speed and use the final curved wall for acceleration
    You may notice that on this curved wall before the finish line, the cars ahead of you seem to gain a shitload of speed and leave you in the dust. What you want to do is gently follow the curve of the wall, but let off the gas once or twice as you guide your vehicle through the curves. If you attempt to tap the brakes, you’ll lose a huge amount of momentum and be overcome, and if you attempt to just hold down R2 all the way through the curve, you’ll find yourself beginning to spin out towards the end, and again, you will lose momentum and be overcome.
  8. Utilize the rear view camera (R3) in the final stretch!
    The god tier AI drivers in 2nd and 3rd place will likely be right on your ass as you come through that final curve in lap 3, and they will attempt to rubber band slingshot themselves right past you. But that final dash to the finish line is over a long, straight piece of track. So use the rear view camera to keep your eyes on their position, and to cut them off if they attempt to cut around you. As long as you clog up their passing lanes in that final stretch, you will win the race!

I hope these tips can help somebody else win this. Good luck! ?

I'm seriously impressed by the number of people who were able to finish this race and I say good job to everyone who has. 

I beat this race in the original pc version back in the day even if it was way too hard and took too many tries.

Anyways I have been at it for quiet a while.  Spent a good 6 to 8 hours over 4 nights. Never got better than 4 place. Got really sick of the loading times and skipping the race intro after each retry.

I put it off for a while than thought with the ps5 the loading would be more bearable. It's better but not as great as I thought it would be.

Been at it again after a few nights but still not even close to being able to beat it. Watched all the videos and read all the forum posts I could find and even with all the good tips, I can't for the life of me finish this race in first

When I do well I always screw up somewhere.

Anyhow I usually pride myself in doing trophies myself, but I think I've put enough tries into it but it has become sort of an obsession and I need to get this platinum. 

If there were any generous souls out there willing to help me just beat this race I would appreciate it greatly.

If not maybe my long rant will help me get passed it. 

Good luck to all those who need it.

Edit: Complaining does pay off, I apparently made a big accident on first u-turn and the five last cars stayed  there and the front of the pack got caught in it during second lap and just had to drive carefully during the last 2 laps and I was golden.

Edited by BigPadre

On 16/02/2021 at 8:15 PM, BigPadre said:

Got really sick of the loading times and skipping the race intro after each retry.

I put it off for a while than thought with the ps5 the loading would be more bearable. It's better but not as great as I thought it would be.

Especially at the start when there is a good chance another driver is going to knock you ruin the run. I’ve got the game on my SSD every restart felt like it took a hot minute... Feel sorry for the souls using a HDD.

Good job getting the race done though dude

Edited by dropcmd

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Deluziion90 said:

Bought the game yesterday and starting tomorrow. Really curious about this so called hard race.

It can't be worse then driving 1000 miles in Mafia II :awesome:.. Right?

There's a trick to doing the race on the hardest setting but you have to be patient it may take several tries to hit the right groove but really you need to try to get at least in 3rd place before the second hard turn then maintain it through to the second lap then it steadily becomes easier but also harder in that u have to pay slot if attention but not try to compensate and freak out cause the track itself has areas that become hazardous but don't compensate for it if ur in 3rd I'll end up second by the 3rd lap and first on the final 

The trick is once ur at least 3rd by the 2nd turn and can maintain it get through the lap on the home stretch usevur rear view and steer infront of the following cars so they don't pass. On your second lap after the first turn u can take every turn for the rest of the race at a much slower pace the other cars have slowed down a fair bit but still go at a fair speed by realizing u can actually slow down u can easily make your turns without spinning or fishtailing and again at the end watch for cars trying to pass. Now on the final lap twards the end it's likely a car has wreaked and a truck is in your path putting out the fire feel free to slow up and avoid it then proceed to the finish  

The tricks just realizing u can slow down on turns in lap 2 and 3 so u don't screw up but if your really confident and have good control of the car by all means floor it but don't freak out if u need afew retries :). The worst parts trying to get in place on the first lap it's a dark souls like screw you to players lol 

• Like 1