Chapter 5 The Race Discussions

Oo_pommes_oO

On 2/17/2021 at 5:22 PM, MrBeens said:

You want a hard race, try the final mission in the original 'Driver' game.  God damn, i'm not sure if I ever finished that back in the day.  It's mostly repressed.

reminds me of atomic theory from driveclub and venom hot lap 2, whose idea to have a supercar in the rain just like the one man one machine race also.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I gave up after about 3 hours. I like games to have this level of difficulty it makes the plat a well deserved and honorable one to remember.

One day I'll do it or if I never do atleast I know theres still a challenge to be done. 

More games need this tbh. 

• 5 months later...

beat this race after around 1 hour of trying, it was indeed difficult, But surely not impossible, i didnt use handbrake or the "ram" either (whatever that may be) i really only used the speedlimiter to slow down, and the cars in the first corner as a "wall" to get through the corner faster, i have found that once you're in first the cars wont overtake you.

• 6 months later...

So, I just finished The Race on Classic difficulty after 4 proper attempts, and a few restarts, and dare I say it wasn't as bad as some people made me think. Yes, the driving is horrendous, and the AI is really good at getting in your way, but if you use the pre-determined events to your advantage, it's pretty easy.

What do I mean by this? Well, most people on here know that the race has crashes in it that are by design, and what I did on my winning run, which is what my tip is, is to be in 3rd place by the the weird turn where one AI racer will crash on the second lap. I know that this is specified in the guide, but since so many are having difficulty winning the race, I am either a demi god, or people seemed to miss this tip. After that AI crash, you will be in 2nd place, most likely with a pretty comfortable lead over 3rd, all you have to do is stay in 2nd place and don't do any dumb moves, until the last lap and the last turn where first place crashes, and all you really have to be careful with is not getting hit by the wreck.

Hopefully this will make it a little easier for some of you who are struggling with the race, as it did do so for me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RobinMthun said:

So, I just finished The Race on Classic difficulty after 4 proper attempts, and a few restarts, and dare I say it wasn't as bad as some people made me think. Yes, the driving is horrendous, and the AI is really good at getting in your way, but if you use the pre-determined events to your advantage, it's pretty easy.

What do I mean by this? Well, most people on here know that the race has crashes in it that are by design, and what I did on my winning run, which is what my tip is, is to be in 3rd place by the the weird turn where one AI racer will crash on the second lap. I know that this is specified in the guide, but since so many are having difficulty winning the race, I am either a demi god, or people seemed to miss this tip. After that AI crash, you will be in 2nd place, most likely with a pretty comfortable lead over 3rd, all you have to do is stay in 2nd place and don't do any dumb moves, until the last lap and the last turn where first place crashes, and all you really have to be careful with is not getting hit by the wreck.

Hopefully this will make it a little easier for some of you who are struggling with the race, as it did do so for me.

Plus the stupid break, since it's classic cars racing in a classic grand prix, u have to press L2 repeatedly to apply break depending on the radius of the turn, sometimes u need to press rapidly , sometimes u need to press it slow. Don't just press and hold the L2.

Edited by zulqarmessi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zulqarmessi said:

Plus the stupid break, since it's classic cars racing in a classic grand prix, u have to press L2 repeatedly to apply break depending on the radius of the turn, sometimes u need to press rapidly , sometimes u need to press it slow. Don't just press and hold the L2.

Yep. Having a little racing experience also helped, such as letting go of the gas / slightly breaking before a turn and then hitting the gas again around halfway around the turn. Having a good line really helps actually getting to 3rd in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed the race after about 2 hrs of trying spend a little time learning the race.

Go into the corners slow and cut across the first two grass areas every lap. If your in third position at the end of the first lap you shouldn't have a problem winning the race

people that beat the race easily, in a few attempts, most likely had the AI glitch and managed not to mess it up, for people that don't know, I forgot what triggers it but you can get the AI to stay behind you at all times, never pass you(when they should and easily could), as long as you don't crash and maintain a decent speed, if the AI is working as intended, there's no way you can legit win this race in a few attempts, because the whole point of this race, the reason it's hard, is that it's broken, it has broken controls, literally, this was developer intended, it's on purpose, so you have to learn how to work around them, and that takes time, it's not something you just do in a few tries without other factors being at play

Edited by The Investigator
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I mentioned and still maintain in my thread that the easiest method is just to hold tight at 2nd place as the other cars are far less likely to overtake you that way (provided you're driving carefully) and then wait for the predetermined crash from number 1 on those two turns. Trying to do it legit by holding number 1 from the start is just making life more difficult than it needs to be. It's not impossible to maintain number 1 throughout - people have done it - but it's far more stressful.

Anyway, I miss Mafia. All three games were great. Can't wait for the next one!

I win without having other drivers crash into the wall. It's difficult to drive the car, I know, but I found better using R2 without holding it and using also the grass while turning.

It takes me 1h of tries, and in the last race I gained 1st position on 2nd lap

Practice makes perfect, but in this case I don't think I can do it, even with a lot of practice. I've done max payne 3, titanfall2 which are pretty hard but I just can't do this. I've read a lot of things about it but at the end of the day, actually doing it, is a whole different situation. Don't know what to do. Maybe I'll contact sony to delete my account HA!

Edited by DarthBleidd

Its not that hard.. I completed it after about 15 attempts. My tips are:

1. Out-brake and then use the other cars as a buffer to rest on when going into the first corner, you can easily pass 7 or 8 cars this way. If you spin out cos of heavy contact then start again

2. Use the grass on the next two corners to pass on the inside. This should bring you to at least 5th place

3. Bide your time and try to get into 3rd spot by the end of lap 1. This will guarantee you the win because a car crashes at the chicane on lap 2 and then another car crashes near the end of lap 3

4. The chicane - it's probably the hardest corner and it's where you're most likely to crash cos you're coming into it at speed and its tempting just to cut the corner and fly through it. I found it best to ease off the throttle at the top of the hill and brake once firmly before entering the chicane. Don't cut the corner too much or you'll flip up uncontrollably into the air.

5. The last 3 turns - don't brake, just ease off the throttle for a second then accelerate out of the bend

6. Don't try to go too fast, you'll just make a mistake and spin out or run wide

On my successful lap I was in third place halfway through lap 2, when the car in front flipped on the chicane it took out the other car as well Leaving me in 1st place and a nice run to the finish line ??

1 hour ago, junior107 said:

Its not that hard.. I completed it after about 15 attempts. My tips are:

1. Out-brake and then use the other cars as a buffer to rest on when going into the first corner, you can easily pass 7 or 8 cars this way. If you spin out cos of heavy contact then start again

2. Use the grass on the next two corners to pass on the inside. This should bring you to at least 5th place

3. Bide your time and try to get into 3rd spot by the end of lap 1. This will guarantee you the win because a car crashes at the chicane on lap 2 and then another car crashes near the end of lap 3

4. The chicane - it's probably the hardest corner and it's where you're most likely to crash cos you're coming into it at speed and its tempting just to cut the corner and fly through it. I found it best to ease off the throttle at the top of the hill and brake once firmly before entering the chicane. Don't cut the corner too much or you'll flip up uncontrollably into the air.

5. The last 3 turns - don't brake, just ease off the throttle for a second then accelerate out of the bend

6. Don't try to go too fast, you'll just make a mistake and spin out or run wide

On my successful lap I was in third place halfway through lap 2, when the car in front flipped on the chicane it took out the other car as well Leaving me in 1st place and a nice run to the finish line 1f642.png1f3c6.png

This should do it indeed. The crashes are scripted so being in 3rd place after lap 1 will grant you the win if you stay in that position. Only one thing to add, check your rear view mirror on the straights and block/defend any drivers who want to overtake you. 

Almost done it...I was second at the second lap just before the weird turn. Driver crashed and I crashed on him. I can definitely do it, but it's really annoying, because it has very little to do with skill (and I doubted myself XD), but it involves a lot of luck and then some. Add to that a lot of anxiety. All in all, at some point everything will click together and it'll happen. Though, it might take a while lol.

Edited by DarthBleidd

And done it HA!...And relatively easy I might say. I even messed up big on the last lap at the first corner. Brakes locked but as I said, I was too far ahead of everyone and managed to save it. Almost had a heart attack seeing 2 blimps coming but I did it.

My advice to anyone struggling. Try to nail the first half of the lap. I mean staying close to the leading group coming of the grass.

Then wait for the scripted event and take it easy. Does not need full throttle or full break.

Edited by DarthBleidd
  • Like 1

to start off i tried so many times to win the race but i couldn’t win its just brutal and hard and ain’t easy tried to use so many methods but i couldn’t win so i give up on this game i don’t care if i get the platinum i was already getting mad and raging so screw this game i am done with it

- You shouldn't give up, loading times are superfast, so you can keep trying without the annoyance of waiting.

- A lot depends on the RNG at the start of the race and how the cars behave, so be patient and be on the look out for a good start.

- Look for guides on YouTube, they have good strategies. I used them and it helped to get the trophy in a few hours.

- It's all about practing. Thousands of people have this trophy, it can be done.

I am one to go for platinums relentlessly and I agree with the OP. I tried and tired and in the end, this was the game that broke me. I don’t know why as I’ve done harder stuff. ? I suppose for me, I was gradually leaning away from going for perfection and this was when I confirmed my decision. Now my threshold is 70% of a games trophies, if 100% is too stressful. 

Edited by VeldinX