Classic Difficulty Race

reddlotus_

Anyone stuck on this? I got the game but, haven't played it just yet. Seen a handful of tweets from people complaining about the difficulty but, after watching 2 runs on YouTube it looks fairly easy..? This is coming from someone who got the plat for CTR which I thought was moderately hard at some times. Not sure if that stacks up to this or vice versa.

• Like 1

I believe it's due to the fact that the driving mode is locked in on simulation, on Classic difficulty.

More realistic handling, cars have more weight, meaning it'll take longer to accelerate, turn and stop. Crashes will be less forgiving, so if you smash into someone you'll likely spin out of control rather than basically driving through them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ufcmike1 said:

I believe it's due to the fact that the driving mode is locked in on simulation, on Classic difficulty.

More realistic handling, cars have more weight, meaning it'll take longer to accelerate, turn and stop. Crashes will be less forgiving, so if you smash into someone you'll likely spin out of control rather than basically driving through them.

The controlling (based on videos I've watched) doesn't seem to intimidate me personally but, I guess it's one of those have to play to see type things.

1 minute ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Wasn't there an option to skip it? I've heard the developers mention that somewhere.

Not this race, as it's story related. When you are doing in-game driving, you can skip all of those driving (drive here, drive there). But any driving this has a timer or this mission 5 race, you can't skip.

18 minutes ago, reddlotus_ said:

The controlling (based on videos I've watched) doesn't seem to intimidate me personally but, I guess it's one of those have to play to see type things.

I'm going through it now on Classic. Three laps is tough. I'm doing okay, but the driving you just have to get used to and I'm sure you will nail it after going through the laps a few times, memorizing the turns. It's not so bad, once you nail down where the turns are so you can slow down and not crash, while also watching out for all of the car crashing. As long as you don't crash or spin out, you should be okay.

Just now, MarcusPunisher said:

I see. Well, that's gonna be a lot of "fun" like it was back in 2002 on classic. xD 

Yeah, if you were having troubles then, it's about the same this time around. Ha.

11 hours ago, ReoJee said:

Race on classic took me 2 hours of trying to beat.

What you have to know, is that some events are scripted there. 2 drivers total (besides the European at start) will crash at different point of the race.

What I did:

1) Once the race starts, after first turn you have to be at least 7-9 place already, so press on and turn with ram button (X) to the left. If you're lucky, you will make the turn, unless someone rams you as well and then you will be off road.

2) The next two turns, cut on the grass, the car does not lose control because of it. After this i already come at 2-4 place.

3) On fourth turn, 1st place opponent car will crash, if you're lucky, you will become 1st place, if not - 2nd place.

4) Another scripted event - during 2nd lap or sometimes 3rd, the current 1 place will crash on the zigzag turn.

So if you are 2nd after first 4 turns, just keep on and don't fuck up. Just trail him, and eventually they crash on the zigzag turn.

So basically, what I did for two hours was restart and try to follow this. If you make it out the first 4 turns as I wrote, then you are good to go. Then you just have to drive careful and check the back camera for cars trying to overcome you.

These are all great tips. Took me a long time to beat it, but letting go of the accelerator on turns and using ram to tighten your turns is an absolute must. Spinning out is extremely easy on Classic difficulty. If you're not in the Top 4 by the end of the first lap, you won't win. The zigzag turn took me the longest to master; slowing down a bit right before it, and aiming your vehicle to cut straight through it at a slower speed, is better than trying to ram through it.

On 29-9-2020 at 11:56 AM, Sikutai said:

Maybe, but I never tried the Classic Difficulty or the Race in Classic Difficulty. Waiting for an exploit is the best option for all of us.

I started my Classic run three hours ago or so, and just finished the race on Classic difficulty. Took me several tries, but it's far from a head-cracking achievement, compared to some of the other trophies I got in other games.

Honestly, you can all do better than stupid glitches or hacks. Just finish the race legitimately, you'll at least feel proud you earned it the proper way.

• Like 1

I found this not to be anywhere near as bad as people were making it out to be. I went into this expecting to be punching the wall out of anger, but I got it done in two hours. The fact that I enjoy racing games probably has something to do with that, but even then, I think anyone can do it with enough practice. You just need time to get used to the car's handling and braking around corners. Be sure to use shortcuts and spam the ram button when on straightaways (especially the homestretch because cars can easily overtake you there). I saved a recording of my run if anyone wants to see it:

Also, I had an attempt where I was so close to victory but a car came up behind me, I tried to prevent them from passing me, our wheels locked, then I crashed. So frustrating, so don't let this happen to you:

• Like 1

I finished it in on Classic in less than 20 attempts. Here's a video that helped: 

Mafia Race Guide

Things to keep in mind I found:

Release the R2 button and gradually press it again to turn around small corners. On tight corners however, completely release R2 and press (don't hold) L2 followed by pressing X while turning where you need to go. Don't overcompensate though or else you'll spin out. So press X to charge into a direction that will regain your balance. Use grass for shortcuts. ALSO, just like every shitty racing minigame in every non racing video game, the AI is faster than you on straightaways (but when they're turning you have a decent shot at overtaking them). When driving down a linear path, just hold down R3 to constantly look behind you. Block any advance from the cars behind you. If you're on the final lap, heading towards the finish line, there's literally no reason to not just hold down on R3 to constantly check your bearings with the other drivers. When making that stupid S turn that typically has you flying through the air, just accept that you have to take it slow and steady. You will lose so much more time if you fly up in the air. If you're in 2nd or 3rd place on the final lap DON'T GIVE UP! There's a chance one of the two cars in front of you will wipe out, and it's more doable than you think to pass them. Good luck!

Also, press the left D-pad to toggle first person view. This helped me.

Edited by griffin123456789

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This wasn’t as difficult as I was anticipating. It took me an hour or two, but I learned a lot during that time and thought I’d write up some in-depth tips for anybody having trouble with this in the future. Here’s what I learned:

1. The first corner will make or break the entire race. 
    At the start you want to take the turn from the inside, and if you don’t come around the bend under 8th place you will most likely want to restart immediately to avoid wasting time. Also, no matter how good you think you’re doing in the race, one mistake on this corner in lap 2 or 3 will flush the entire race down the toilet. Perfect this corner before you even think about attempting to win the race. Also note: it’s possible to cut right through the haystacks on your left-hand side. Some players may find this useful.
  2. Use the ram button (X) to drift and straighten out
    For some reason, the ram button functions way better as a drift than the actual handbrake does. The handbrake will just cause you to spin out and lose control. The ram button will actually guide you around corners perfectly. And if you do find yourself starting to spin out, tapping X will actually straighten you out! You should be using this button around almost every corner.
  3. Prepare for your turns
    Whenever you are approaching one of the turns that doesn’t have grass to cut through, you will want to approach from the outer edge of the track, and tap the brake once or twice if you’re approaching the turn at top speed. Approaching from the inside risks forcing you to make a very sharp turn, and will most likely cause you to spin out. However, turning from the inside CAN actually work if you’re side by side with another racer though, as you’ll be able to brace against their vehicle AND push them off the track in one swift move. 
  4. Always cut through the grass. 
    There are 3 points where you can use the grass to your advantage in a major way. Turn #2, #3, and the wide turn after the little ‘S’ bend in the track all have large patches of grass which you can cut through. These will be some of your biggest weapons when it comes to fighting back and overtaking the god tier AI drivers. They will always stay on the track, which gives you a big chance to cut in front of a couple cars!
  5. Use the 4th turn to your advantage
    After cutting through the grass on turns #2 and 3, there will be a scripted crash where the driver shoots straight into the wall on the 4th corner. This corner is a very easy spot to drift around using the X button and overtake one or two drivers. This corner, and the 3 grassy turns, are where you will concentrate all your efforts on gaining ground over the other drivers.
  6. Brake before the S-bend
    That tiny little bend in the track can be extremely problematic if you hit it with speed. You’ll either hit the grassy bump on the right side and fly into the air and completely lose control, or you’ll spin out trying to steer through the curves. So when you’re coming down the long, straight stretch leading up to it, hug the right side of the track, tap the brakes once or twice to slow down a bit, then cut right through the middle of the bend rather than trying to follow the curvature of the track. You should pretty much go straight through with no problem. Note: During the 2nd lap there will be a scripted crash here where the 1st place driver will wipe out.
  7. Maintain speed and use the final curved wall for acceleration
    You may notice that on this curved wall before the finish line, the cars ahead of you seem to gain a shitload of speed and leave you in the dust. What you want to do is gently follow the curve of the wall, but let off the gas once or twice as you guide your vehicle through the curves. If you attempt to tap the brakes, you’ll lose a huge amount of momentum and be overcome, and if you attempt to just hold down R2 all the way through the curve, you’ll find yourself beginning to spin out towards the end, and again, you will lose momentum and be overcome.
  8. Utilize the rear view camera (R3) in the final stretch!
    The god tier AI drivers in 2nd and 3rd place will likely be right on your ass as you come through that final curve in lap 3, and they will attempt to rubber band slingshot themselves right past you. But that final dash to the finish line is over a long, straight piece of track. So use the rear view camera to keep your eyes on their position, and to cut them off if they attempt to cut around you. As long as you clog up their passing lanes in that final stretch, you will win the race!

I hope these tips can help somebody else win this. Good luck! ?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I would disagree about restarting if you are in a lower position than 8th on the first turn, unless you whiff it and spin out or hit the far wall. You can make up a lot of ground when you cut across the grass in turn 2 and 3 in lap 1. In my successful run I was 11th coming around turn 1. In the turn 2 grass shortcut I bopped into a racer when coming out of the turn which slowed him down and thus slowed down the racers behind him, putting me in 8th. Then in turn 3 in the grass I rocketed past the group into 3rd and then the leader crashed on turn 4. If you are not in at least 4th place after turn 3, then ya, you should probably restart. That has to do with the way the scripted crashes work.

The full list of scripted crashes is:

1.)Your rival has engine trouble at the start of the race due to your sabotage.

2.)The leader crashes on turn 4 of lap 1.

3.)If there is a car in visual range ahead of you, the racer launches over the S shaped grass hump after turn 5 in lap 2 and crashes into the wall.

4.)If there is a car in visual range ahead of you, the racer crashes into the high banked wall on the final turn of lap 3.

So if you make it into 4th place after turn 3 of lap 1, don't fall in farther, and keep within visual range of the cars ahead of you; the 3 scripted crashes will propel you to 1st place.

Something I came to realize that helped me a lot is (within reason) it doesn't matter how slow you take the hairpin turn 1 in lap 2 and 3. The other cars are programmed to take the inside tract if possible after lap 1, so as long as you are within half a car width of the left edge of the track for the entire turn, they can't pass you. You can't go super slow though as you have to keep in visual range of the car ahead of you, but it takes some of the pressure off to know you can't be passed on that turn. There are few other places on the track you are vulnerable to being passed even when running at full speed. Keep right on the straightaway after turn 5, keep high at the end of the final banked turn (if there is someone close behind), and use R3 on the final straightaway to see if they are trying to pass on your left or right.

Here is my run if you are still stuck after looking at the others.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...