Macro or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Grind

Roden124

On 27/09/2020 at 5:30 AM, Shuriken_Shiguru said:

New! https://www.dropbox.com/s/srgm5of872j9l36/Tony Hawk EXP.xml?dl=0
(Reduces file size from 11 MB to 800 KB)

If you've been looking around to get to level 100, you may have heard mention of a PS4 Macro, if you haven't installed it already!
I just want to share my file to save you a little time. All numbers are rounded for easier maths.

This thread isn't a tutorial for this method. Now it is! Due to popular demand, instructions are included below:

Reveal hidden contents

First, you have to download Remote Play on your computer.
https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/lang/en/index.html

You'll have to connect your PS4 to your PC.

Here's where to download the PS4 Macro program:
https://github.com/komefai/PS4Macro

Go to the green button that says "Code" and Download ZIP.
Then move the contents to a new folder somewhere on your computer.

Now, once you have it all installed and figured out, start Remote Play then PS4 Macro.

My macro takes care of the middle man, but this is where I got my info from:
https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/6534898-post5.html

Here's how you know it's set up correctly:

///Remote Play///
The game will be displayed on your PC. (Put it on the lowest resolution for best results!)
Retry Level is highlighted. (It has to be the first option, so End Run first.)

///PS4 Macro///
Open my macro file.

Make sure the loop by the "Script" button is enabled.
Press play!

The frames should be constantly counting. If they skip or lag, try stopping unnecessary programs.

Per my calculation, this macro is 45 seconds for 125 EXP.*

(*It is actually 1 second shorter and gives out a little more EXP, but we'll consider that a bonus.)
The map should be the non-remixed version of the custom park "loop_experience farm". [Search under "loop_" to find it quickly!]

You must End Run and then highlight "Retry Level" to activate the loop.

The previous macro I made for myself went from level 71 to level 86 in 24 hours.
It was reliable until the game and/or PC chugged, so I made a new macro to compensate that.

This version is the tiniest pinch longer but nets 6 EXP more, so that definitely make up for the time difference and then some.
That slight extension of effort may have shaved off hours.

I played a lot of Tony Hawk as a kid, so I justify doing this by pretending to replace this audacity with my childhood experience.
I dominated the remake through muscle memory alone. There will be no shame, I am a god.

Personally, I'm only going to grind until the late 90's so I can still feel rewarded for the challenges I still have to do.

I hope the absolutely wild gap between the endgame and the Platinum means there's DLC in the future.
This game is enjoyable enough to marathon, but a few of us want to sprint so we can move on and enjoy the game at our own pace.

How do I actually get the program to run from the zip file? I extracted it but then I'm left with a lot of files I don't know how to use. 

Edit: I was downloading the wrong zip file I think? I downloaded the newest version instead of the link in OP post and now it's working. However, now for some reason the macros timing is off, its not doing the lip trick or anything, it kind of just misses everything and ollies a few times

Edited by Flipendo52

What's your PC like? Is it able to Remote Play games normally? Do you have a lot of apps up?
Remote Play lets you set the resolution, so putting that at the lowest setting may help.

Try booting Windows Safe Mode with Networking.
Since that only operates the bare essentials, the macro should definitely run without interruption.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shuriken_Shiguru said:

What's your PC like? Is it able to Remote Play games normally? Do you have a lot of apps up?
Remote Play lets you set the resolution, so putting that at the lowest setting may help.

Try booting Windows Safe Mode with Networking.
Since that only operates the bare essentials, the macro should definitely run without interruption.

I tried using a different macro and this one works, sometimes it goes screwy and tries to reset audio settings but other than that its working fine. I think what was wrong with using your macro on my PS4 is that my PS4 was taking longer to load, so the macro timing was off. I tested that by clicking restart run then starting the macro after like 1 second, and that worked. so i think my PS4 must just take longer to load the level in

• Like 1

Glad you got it working!

If it helps, I'm using a base PS4 (late 2014) with the internal HDD. Loading times with a single second difference will have a huge impact.
Of course my macro is optimized for the standard PS4, and even then it wanted to play with audio settings occasionally.

The macro method is not always perfect, but it's faaar better than burning yourself out on this wonderful game! ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trivane92 said:

It seems new patch 1.09 totally destroyed this location as you cannot grind kissed the rail part to quickly multiply your score anymore. Now instead of grinding for 3/4 of the game, new players will be doing it for 4/5. Awesome.

just use this method and make a macro, it’s working fine for me so far

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Trivane92 said:

It seems new patch 1.09 totally destroyed this location as you cannot grind kissed the rail part to quickly multiply your score anymore. Now instead of grinding for 3/4 of the game, new players will be doing it for 4/5. Awesome.

just downgrade your game for that specific trophy...

This update may have destroyed my technique...but, ultimately, I think this is good.
(I only made a macro, it's not like I created the method anyway.)

I was right, this game is getting new challenges. While we don't have something as huge as THPS3 yet (if at all,)

these new challenges prove the game is alive.

The whole point of this macro was to whittle down post-fun grind, but if you actually have something to work towards, it's not post-fun, it's regular fun.

I heard the EXP boost isn't too big, but hopefully this isn't the last we see of further opportunities.
It would be a lot better if most of these new challenges offered EXP with cash, but what do I care, I got mine. ?

I will attempt these challenges...not for a trophy, not for glory...but for fun!

So the new method is a beast in comparison to the previous one as really you can be earning 300xp every 10-15 seconds. Since I started it I was level 80 and managed to complete it today. The best location for me was Philadelphia as there are not so many bumps on the way, also its a good practice to start the macro with a manual so its more stable. @Shuriken_Shiguru - your method was a very good start so thank you for the macro and this post as well. Much appreciated! :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trivane92 said:

So the new method is a beast in comparison to the previous one as really you can be earning 300xp every 10-15 seconds. Since I started it I was level 80 and managed to complete it today. The best location for me was Philadelphia as there are not so many bumps on the way, also its a good practice to start the macro with a manual so its more stable. @Shuriken_Shiguru - your method was a very good start so thank you for the macro and this post as well. Much appreciated! :)

unfortunately my internetconnection is so bad that after some runthroughs thr macro doesnt input the right commands anymore and it breaks... need to do it somewhere else then.

13 hours ago, IP-3-R-R-YI said:

can you give me a makro script ??

You can download it from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqo5j3r7apoozgv/tony hawk new exp 15s.xml?dl=0

or

https://ufile.io/75zarghp (will expire within 30 days)

So here is how to use it:

- enable all mods as with previous strategy

- set up the 900 special to be left-right-circle combination and make sure you dont have any other that can get in the way (its best to delete all other specials as I smash buttons and other might get in the way)

- go to Philadeplhia, end run and launch macro when you have retry level available

- I did on purpose one special more than required as sometimes it does not launch successfully (this way you should get the required 1mln points even if it fails), granting you 150xp for total score and 150xp best combo

Please note I am using PS4 slim version and it might differ on PS4 pro and other locations due to loading screen time. This should grant you most of the time 300xp per 20s try. 

Hope it helps.

• Like 2

On 7.11.2020 at 1:55 PM, Tommiieeh said:
7 hours ago, Trivane92 said:

or

- set up the 900 special to be left-right-circle combination and make sure you dont have any other that can get in the way (its best to delete all other specials as I smash buttons and other might get in the way)

- go to Philadeplhia, end run and launch macro when you have retry level available

- I did on purpose one special more than required as sometimes it does not launch successfully (this way you should get the required 1mln points even if it fails), granting you 150xp for total score and 150xp best combo

Please note I am using PS4 slim version and it might differ on PS4 pro and other locations due to loading screen time. This should grant you most of the time 300xp per 20s try. 

Hope it helps.

this dont refesh the level

Just so everyone knows, I updated the original post to link the new stuff at the end. Everything else is preserved, just in case.

I think it's safe to say my macro is now obsolete.

If you have updated the game:

It won't work as intended.

If you haven't updated the game:
You should, because a far better method is available!

I haven't tested it out myself, but I don't feel like I need to. 

I have hard data that my macro took approximately 53 hours to grind from level 70 to level 100.
I would like to see how this new technique compares.

Edited by Shuriken_Shiguru
Emphasis on time. If you're just starting the new method, please look at your stats screen at the beginning of your journey and again at the end. Compare and share. Thank you.
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 11:19 AM, Trivane92 said:

or

Hope it helps.

Thanks for posting. It's working fine on a base ps4.

I have one question, if you could help me out. I'm "only" getting ~75xp for total score and ~75xp for best combo, after each run. I'm using the macro on the regular 2min tour, Philadephia map; the character ends up getting a bit over ~500.000 score . Am I doing it correctly, or should I be using the macro in another mode like the youtube video posted above (private match/score challenge/1mil score limit)?

I got all the mods and only the 900 set up, like you indicated. If I'm supposed to get ~160xp total per run, it's working great nevertheless.

I don't know if anyone can map this in Macro software, in order to make the grind smoother...

I don't know if you guys know about this new method, thanks to the XP from the latest patch. I made a video to show you how to do it manually:

Now, if people managed to setup for a custom map, even to do more complex things, I think this should be easier.

Downtown has a gap right at the beginning, allowing you to start your combo right away. With the changes I made in the video, all you (or Macro) have to do is press Jump, Up, Down, Grab, Up, Down. (it makes a 900 + Manual). After 8 or 9 repeats, just End Session and Repeat. Should take around 15 seconds each round, including menus and loads, for 300XP.

With a computer doing it all this, without mistakes, it should be even faster... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

I don't know if anyone can map this in Macro software, in order to make the grind smoother...

I don't know if you guys know about this new method, thanks to the XP from the latest patch. I made a video to show you how to do it manually:

Now, if people managed to setup for a custom map, even to do more complex things, I think this should be easier.

Downtown has a gap right at the beginning, allowing you to start your combo right away. With the changes I made in the video, all you (or Macro) have to do is press Jump, Up, Down, Grab, Up, Down. (it makes a 900 + Manual). After 8 or 9 repeats, just End Session and Repeat. Should take around 15 seconds each round, including menus and loads, for 300XP.

With a computer doing it all this, without mistakes, it should be even faster... 

Nice work!

• Like 1

Heyo, I've managed to make a couple macros netting you either ~31K xp per hour or ~36K xp per hour.

I went with the Skate Park location because the loading times are amongst the fastest, and it's pretty flat and with a nice straight ahead of you no matter where the games spawns you (since when doing the score challenge mode it's a bit random).

Settings:

Put the 900 special on :down::up::circle:

Activate "Perfect Manual Balance" & "Always Special" & "No Bails" & "Double Base Score" under Options > Games Mods.

The 31K one is done in Skate Park > Free Play, there's no way for the macros to fuck up over and over, because if it fails once it will correct itself by the next run.

To start it load the map, end the session, highlight "retry", and start the macro.

I left this one running for like 10 minutes, no problems, sometimes it drops 1 "900", but pointwise it could drop 2-3 "900" and still be good, I also wait a bit at the beginning and end for a bit of safety.

Download the macro here.

The 36K one is done in Skate Park > Score Challenge (follow this video if you don't know how to set it up), the macro can fuck up, and if it does you're screwd, because if you don't reach the point limit, instead of restarting the run it'll go in in the "see gaps" menu.

There's not much I can do about this, so use this method if you can check from time to time (so far I've been running this macro for an hour and no issues).

To start it load the map, end the session, and once the session results screens are gone start the macro.

After 30 minutes it never failed once, even when starting in front of the ramp, but be careful using this one as it can't loop properly if it fails.

Download this one here.

Score Challenge issue: For some reasons, after loading the map for the 1st time, the subsequent 2-3 reloads will take a while, resulting in the macros not working properly (might just be my PS4), the free play one won't matter much, it will correct itself.

However the score challenge one won't work for the first 2-3 retries after the initial load, but should work correctly after that, so when you launch that one stay nearby until it starts working (you'll easily know when it's good, as the map will reload instantly instead of waiting 4-5 seconds). I've tested it 3 times so far, and everytime it fails tries 1-2-3, but starts working correctly on the 4th one and seems to be good after that.

tl:dr: Go with the 31K if you can't check often, otherwise the 36K seems to work correctly pasts the 2-3 first tries.

Big thanks to @Shuriken_Shiguru for giving me this macro idea and to @TurtlePM for his videos summing up the new technique!

Edited by Alexgaara
Whoops, forgot the settings
  • Like 3

Okay, following @TurtlePM new video, you can download the 72K xp per hour macro here.

Setup:

Put the 900 special on :down::up::circle:

Activate "Perfect Manual Balance" & "Always Special" & "No Bails" & "Double Base Score" under Options > Games Mods.

Load the map via Skate Tours > THPS > Downtown.

Manually reload the map 2-3 times (because those loads takes longer than the following ones, you can skip this step but the 2-3 first tries won't work properly)

Once that's done, end the session, highlight "Retry Level" and launch the macro.

If the macro doesn't work because the game takes too much time to load, even after a while, you could try picking the character "Officer Dick", it seems like the game loads faster when using him (thanks @Matush_SVK )

It's generous pointwise, if every tricks gets through you're looking at 1.6 mil, never failed once so far (just 10 minutes of testing though), and even if it does it'll correct itself by the next run.

Edited by Alexgaara
  • Like 2