Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons, Any Opinions?

I picked up this game today while pre-ordering RAIN, and was wondering if anyone has tried it out and had any thoughts on it? I like small indie-type games like Journey, Flower, flOw, Unfinished Swan, Limbo, etc, mainly as a palate cleanser between major games, and was hoping it was worth the money. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now that this game is on sale on PSN, I hope that many people pick this up. Like the people before me I'd say that if you love gems like Journey or Ico, you'll love this one too. It's definitely worth it. The gameplay is nicely done, essentially splitting the controller into two halfs (left half for the older brother, right half for the younger brother). And it goes without saying that the story is wonderful, yet also a bit sad.

• 3 weeks later...

This game is fantastic, completed it last night, the story is brilliant and very well made, the connection to the 2 brothers character wise is spot on you really really do feel an emotional connection to them and not afraid to admit that I had a lump in my throat at multiple points.  This and games like it are the reason I love gaming and to top it off It's still in the January sale until next Wednesday and I hope lots of people pick it up to experience it.  :)

Well, I couldn't contain myself.  I was full on crying at one point.  It's not bad enough that there was already a super sad scene that had me on the verge to begin with, then they pump the perfect music in at the perfect point to push one over the edge.  I was uncontrollable tears and running nose and everything.  The next step up would have been a full-on ballfest.  Excellent game.  Highly recommended.

Ni No Kuni had a mini-game similar to this, controlling 2 characters at the same time. Boy it made me rage quit so hard, I ain't touching this game!

I was a bit nervous about this, because I have a tendency to mix up who is who on these sorts of things.

That said, there are only a few places where you NEED to use both characters at the same time, instead of simply focusing on one or the other, and so far (I'm halfway through) those situations are such that either you're doing the SAME thing with both of them (i.e., pushing both buttons forward so they walk together) or else one of them is a simple function while you concentrate on the other (pushing "L2" to control a lever while you move the other brother around).

I was especially happy to see that they coded this such that you can't walk off cliffs and things if you lose track of which brother is which side of the controller.

That's not to say you can't die...  I have been mauled by a dog AND an ogre, and fallen from too great a height when I forgot which brother was which side and let go with the wrong one.  But it's a simple matter to recover - the game sets you right back to the last safe location you were (which is usually where you were right before you let go or jumped in front of the dog) rather than making you restart at some frustrating position where you need to replay the last five minutes.  Even the sections where you're climbing and you could fall off, they set convenient locations for you to stand on solid ground so that if you let go and fall off...  Well, you're only redoing the last 20 seconds of gameplay or so.

This whole giant missive was basically to say that aside from the fact that several of the puzzles are geared towards being two brothers, the gameplay as a whole does not FEEL like it's a two-character game.  I think they got the balance down.

I'm also another person who loves Journey and Flower and all those relaxing puzzle games that drop you into some strange world with strange people in it and languages you can't understand word-for-word but don't need to.  So if that's your sort of game, this is a great one!  If not...  Well, then probably not. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a brilliant little game. You don't even need to completely finish it to get 100% but I'd highly recommend it anyway. I cried. Personally, I think it takes a certain deepness of character (in the gamer) to truly appreciate the game. I think some people just won't get the emotion & art behind it. It's not hard to play, so it's all about the story. Something about it reminded me of Shadow Of The Colossus in that you never know exactly what's being said, but you still understand all the same. I can really appreciate that. I also really enjoyed the music. 

Edited by EvenstarII
  • Like 1

Beautiful, just beautiful, I have to admit that I use a guide to get the 100% because some trophies you just don't know how to get it, but it didn't break the magic of this great game. The only sad part about these artistic games is that they're short and have no replay value.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really brilliant. I love how you control each character with a half of the controller, it'S just something really new and fresh. The ending was so sad I even shed a tear...Great game plus it's for free and a easy 100% 

Kind of Ico meets Jouney

That's what I was thinking the whole time! :3

I thought the game was good, frustrating sometimes with the controls (a brother per analog stick), but the story was really good.  Took me about a week to beat it and 100% trophies (was also playing other games at the same time, so I would say it would take about 4-6 hours to actually beat it).