Character for 'Ascension Level 20'  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Character for 'Ascension Level 20'

• Ironclad
    • Silent
    • Defect
    • Watcher

• 3 weeks later...

On PS4 I did it on Ironclad, while I beleive it is the weakest class it is also the most simple.  I did it with a Snecko build that stacked armor and had tons of ways to gain strength and tons of healing.  

On PC I did Asc 20 with defect just because the class is so fun to play.

I think Watcher is the strongest class but also the hardest to learn and the scry mechanic just isnt fun to me.

• Like 1

I agree that watcher seems strongest but I had did my ascension 20 prior to that class release (or was too far to bother - can’t remember). I did it with Silent. I feel like Silent gets the biggest boon from proper relics of the first 3 and is less likely to be completely shut down by certain bosses. Even bosses who are made to rock/paper/scissors a build can lose to it with just 1 right relic which I don’t feel like the other classes get as often. I know the right combos of cards/relics get you to the end - but Silent had more wiggle room to me after floor 1. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the Ascend 20 on Xbox and Steam account with the Silent.

And I've started to get the Ascend 20 on PS4. 

I recommand you the Shivs or The poison deck startegy for it. 

For the Shivs deck, The most powerful and useful relics to get are Shurikens and Kunai (get one strengh/dexterity after 3 attacks in one turn) so you can buff the silent easily and quickly.

For the card, I recommand you to get and improve Cloak and dagger (6 block + 2 shivs), accuracy (+5 damage for shivs) and Terror (99 vulnaribility for 0) .

For the Poison deck, Get and improve as soon as possible several card Catalyst (triple the current poison) , Nightmare (copy the catalyst card) and finally the Corpse Explosion (very useful against multiple enemy and against Deca and donu).

For both deck, Adrenaline card is powerful.

Be patient and have fun :)

• Like 3

I got to Ascension 20 with the Ironclad. As someone mentioned earlier, it's definitely the easiest class to learn, it can also be quite powerful once you can put all the pieces together (ideally, Barricade, Impervious, Entrench, Shrug It Off, Dark Embrace, Block Slam, etc. - maybe all that with the Snecko Eye, though the possibilities are countless). I think I would enjoy other classes as well, but Ironlclad was naturally the first one I started playing and I just stuck to it. What an incredibly entertaining game! Definitely one of the best "bang for your buck" ones!

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Ironclad, too. I used 2 x Fire Breathing+, Evolve+, 2x Power Through (not enough time to smith them) and Barricade+ and two shockwaves (one+) and Offering+. The deck was huge, and the time eater was a dick. Luckily, I got a good draw for Donu and Deca.

Fire Breath+ (best with Evolve+) and Power Through/Wild Strike got me through Ascension 14 - 20. A Pommel Strike+ helps as well, or Shrug it off+. For Drawing, Offering and/or Battle Trance. Very satisfying if you draw status cards for 20 or 30 damage each.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---

I got my first win on the daily using the Watcher (before I had unlocked them) and it unlocked ascension mode for them with all 20 levels available. Didn't realize that it had bugged out until I read online that you have to unlock each stage 1 at a time. (haven't actually tried it yet)

At some point though the bug fixed itself so now I can only select level 1 again. At least I got a little preview at how mean it gets! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Ironclad

Swapped relics at the start and got Snecko Eye. Started to build a Barricade block build, picking whatever block cards I could get plus the odd high damage cards. 

At the end of Act 2 boss I picked the Calling Bell relic which gave me Dead Branch and later on picked up the power card Feel No Pain. 

In the Donu Deca fight an exhausted card added the Corruption card to my hand which pretty much ended the fight lol. 

In the Time Eater fight a couple of exhausted cards gave me Fiend Fires which again pretty much ended the fight.

• 1 month later...

Finally got this done tonight with Defect. Floor 20 deck was an Orb + Power build. Had multiple Frost attacks and card draw (never got a glacier) then 2x channel lightning when using power cards along side multiple focus up and cap up power cards. I'd be sitting at 18-20 focus per orb by turn 3 when super lucky and things would die before I'd even get close to focus draining for the negative effects.

Extremely fun run but I was being brutalized by floor 20 before hand. Probably took me between 50-70 attempts.

• Like 2

Ironclad with strenght build. 

2 heavy blades +  2 Spot weakness/Limit break. At the start I played my 2 big blocks (Impervious) to stack strength and Offering to be sure to get the cards I want. After round 3 I hit like a truck for 200-300 thanks to Necronomicon and Brimstone. Second Boss went down in round 3 with Double tap from potion + Necro. 

For people who struggles with Ascension +15 with Ironclad I would suggest always checking the shop for Brimstone and Medical Kit. Those relics gives you a big boost for strenght build (Brimstone) or a free +15/20 block with Power Through and easy way to start exhaust build (Medical Kit). I seen them really often so they are not as rare as Dead branch and much cheaper. 

Edited by Demek97

I went with Ironclad. My lower ascension runs centered around Barricade, but Corruption and/or Snecko Eye got me the rest of the way. My successful A20 run was the first time I relied on Demon Form, with Rampage as my main damage card. Avoided elites in Act 2 and 3, rested at every campfire with Regal Pillow, and burned through a Lizard Tail during the final boss.

My favorite run was picking up Searing Blow early on and then upgrading it at every opportunity, including using Armaments in combat.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 2:10 AM, Skurkitty said:

Extremely fun run but I was being brutalized by floor 20 before hand. Probably took me between 50-70 attempts.

This makes me feel much better. Kudos

I'm Ascension 15 with Defect and the attempts & time to get my last few clears started to add up. Was debating a switch to Ironclad even though I have much less Ascension progress but I think I'll power through.

• Like 1

On 6.09.2021 at 1:31 AM, Ya_Boy_James said:

This makes me feel much better. Kudos

I'm Ascension 15 with Defect and the attempts & time to get my last few clears started to add up. Was debating a switch to Ironclad even though I have much less Ascension progress but I think I'll power through.

Good luck with the Defect, it's actually my least favorite class - I am currently on my third playthrough and I find the Silent super enjoyable, it's mostly the discard mechanic which makes this character very flexible, even on 3 energy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Ascension 20 today with the Ironclad. I found it to be pretty 'easy' overall with him having 21 wins and 30 losses at the end of my ascension 20 run. So a little over a 40% success rate overall. I haven't actually played at all with any of the other characters yet so I can't compare really, but I guess I might try to get to ascension 20 with those as well as the game is really a lot of fun. 

As for my winning run, it was my 3rd attempt at ascension 20, the first two were deaths at the final boss. Having the second boss there really makes it a lot harder than 19, and it was the only time I failed to beat the boss(es) having reached it. 

I won with a feel no pain, feel no pain +, juggernaut, juggernaut +, corruption + and a dark embrace. I didn't have any form of strength scaling, but didn't need it when blocked with a 0 cost card would deal 24 damage. I had 33 cards in total in the deck including a lot of block and draw obviously. I also got a snecko eye after the first boss. Finally I used the teleport in act 3 to skip most of it.

On 19.09.2021 at 4:43 PM, zajac9999 said:

I haven't actually played at all with any of the other characters yet so I can't compare really, but I guess I might try to get to ascension 20 with those as well as the game is really a lot of fun. 

Players with 1000s of hours under their belt find the Watcher to be the easiest character (or the Watcher has currently the highest win ratio, followed by the Ironclad, the Silent and the Defect). It's further supported by the fact that in the latest patch (last December) the Watcher was the only character to have received no buff (and the Silent received most, iirc). Personally, I enjoyed the Ironclad a lot at first, but now have grown keen on the Silent.

Btw, these semi-official win ratios are only counted for full runs, that is the true ending ;) Damn, this game would have been below <1% if ascenscion progression required full runs :D 

• Like 2

Just platinumed the game after roughly 2 months and countless of hours. Surprisingly, the achievement that was the hardest for me was Minimalist (deck of 5 or fewer cards). I chose Defect to reach A20 with, and it was a grind, but you will get there eventually! What helped me immensely was watching Jorbs on Youtube. He has a few overexplain video's, but also during each of his 'normal' videos I learned at least a trick or two that I then could easily apply during my own run, such as:

• Which pathing to take and why. Especially when you start a run, it's super important to try and get at least 1 upgrade, one or two attacks and/or a potion before attempting Elites.
  • Timing Artifacts such as Pen Nib, Nun Chucks, Ink Bottle, Happy Flower and others correctly, since the charges carry over to next fights
  • Using artifact charges for immense benefit (such as together with the +5 str or +5 dex pots, or Biased Cognition)
  • How to estimate if you need to use a pot at the start of the fight to win it a turn or two earlier (which can mean life or death), or to keep it for other Elites/Bosses
  • What cards & artifacts to look out for in a shop (some relics are shop only, which I didn't even know until I watched Jorbs)
  • The general archetypes of all classes and power level of cards within that archetype

Furthermore, I can greatly advise you to not always go for the heart. Your runs will be quicker, you don't need to take awkward paths for the super elite, it gives you an extra rest/upgrade and an extra artifact. I did the heart myself each run until I reached A12. but after that I only got all three keys if I had a really bonkers deck at the start of act3 and I wanted an extra challenge.

This game is so fun that I will probably attempt to get A20 with the other classes too!

Edited by bawbzor
typo
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

From what I see on the game reddit, Silent is the hardest among all characters. However, I had lucky runs today and managed to clear Ascension 17 - 20. Ascension 20 is very hard for Silent and you have to rely on the RNG greatly. I was very lucky to get nightmare+ and 2x Wraith Form+ in the final A20 run, which could lead to at most 5x Wraith From+. There is no way you can lose with this deck.

Edited by dragonending

The silent is the easiest character to set up crazy synergies and at the current state of the game shiv cards are absolutely cracked, shivs can be a non relic based strat since it relies on cards but you can get relics like Kunai and Shuriken and Hidden Blade that makes them go absolutely wild

• 2 weeks later...

Got my A20 done with Ironclad. Used 3 Feel no Pain and a Dark Embrace as my deck core. When possible I used Juggernaut as my main source of damage, when I found barricade or clippers I used body slam. 

Working through Silent now for fun. Seems like infinite discard loops are doing well so far, on A12. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cleared it today with a crazy good RNG for Iron Clad. 

Hyper offensive deck ending every fight in just a few turns, including the double boss fights. 

Got

- 2x Whirlwind

- Heavy Blade

- Immolate

- Ice Cream to store energy between turns

- Brimstone to get 2 Strength every turn (enemy gets one)

- 3x Apparition all upgraded

- Feed to get my health back up to 65 after taking the Apparitions

- 2x Reaper to fully recover damage after all the strength buildup

- Dead Branch relics to draw cards after I use the Apparitions

- 3 Strength increase cards

- Headbutt to get my strong cards back 

- 2 Relics to increase my base energy further helping Ice Cream + Whirlwind reach insane heights

- Removed most of my opening cards

- Some good blocks such as Flame Barrier

- Some cards to draw through my deck faster such as Shrug off

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with this trophy. Could anybody go through this seed and help me out? I have it save stated because i was 10HP from winning and every run since I can't even get to the act 3 boss. I would massively appreciate anyone running me through what can be done, I'm sick and tired of this game 50 hours later since my last trophy.

The seed is 13QFLYRMA1BR7