[Video/Discussion] Games that should have had a platinum

N1NJ4_V4MP1R3

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remaster was recently released without a platinum. For a game  that takes up to 100 hours, not having a platinum is crazy in my opinion. 

This inspired me to make a short video on the topic, including some games that I think should have had a platinum.

I’d be interest to see what you think, does it matter (probably not to most people) or do you care at all? 

Any other games you wished had a platinum?

• Like 2

Personally, I think platinum trophies are pretty unecessary. It's an achievement for getting other achievements. A trophy for a trophy... ? And most of the time it doesn't even represent that a game is sitting at 100%, only the base game. Moreover, a game without a platinum affects ones statistics just as much as a game with a platinum. 

That being said, I would prefer it if the system was more standardized. Either all games should feature a platinum trophy, or none. There are plenty of very challenging, platinum-less games that make you work way more for their completion than many games with a platinum. 

If I had to mention a single game that doesn't have a platinum but makes you work for the 100%, it is Trials Fusion. A 100% skill-based, challenging game, with an even more challenging trophy list. The base-game list doesn't even have a single gold trophy. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Personally, I think platinum trophies are pretty unecessary. It's an achievement for getting other achievements. A trophy for a trophy... 1f605.png And most of the time it doesn't even represent that a game is sitting at 100%, only the base game. Moreover, a game without a platinum affects ones statistics just as much as a game with a platinum. 

See I love getting platinums specifically, I’ll often feel like I haven’t truly finished a game until I get the platinum, so in games like Resi 4, 100% feels a lot more hollow to me than if there was a platinum. 

I don’t mind having a game like FFXV at 45%, as long as I have the platinum! ?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

It takes a lot less work to earn a platinum now than it did 10 years ago. That is why I consider the numbers game completely meaningless and just stupid. Really it becomes a matter of time and how much money you have at that point, rather than buying a game because you looked forward to it and playing for fun.

Maybe it’s because I have been trophy hunting for so long, I have an expectation that a platinum does mean something.

Like you mentioned, 10 years ago, a platinum was a platinum. I remember the drama from the Walking Dead having a platinum, a lot of people felt like it didn’t deserve one and like I mention in the video, games like Journey would NEVER have been in consideration for a platinum.

I still have that mind frame, even though it’s clear that the landscape has changed. 

The point about consistency is very interesting because I think to be consistent at this stage, a platinum is necessary for literally everything. Again, something I mention in the video with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is that the low effort trophy list might speak to the low effort remaster at this stage. A platinum is required at this point, despite personally still thinking it should be tied to makes that are more substantial. 

10 hours ago, N1NJ4_V4MP1R3 said:

Like you mentioned, 10 years ago, a platinum was a platinum. I remember the drama from the Walking Dead having a platinum, a lot of people felt like it didn’t deserve one and like I mention in the video, games like Journey would NEVER have been in consideration for a platinum.

I think that was a bit of a trend going on back in 2008 - 2012 where a lot of games had a tacked on multiplayer, and the requirements generally involved you playing for dozens of hours, sometimes maybe even hundreds.

Today a lot of games all across the board have rather lenient trophy requirements, including the latest Blazblue fighting game which you can probably finish in under 10 - 15 hours. 100 platinums by their number count doesn't mean much of anything anymore. If you had 100 platinums back in 2010 - 2012, you were considered to be a good trophy hunter who puts in a lot of work. Most of the time I just shake my head with people that have 100 platinums, especially if a good chunk of those platinums are Ratalaika stacks that took no effort at all.

Again, something I mention in the video with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is that the low effort trophy list might speak to the low effort remaster at this stage. A platinum is required at this point, despite personally still thinking it should be tied to makes that are more substantial. 

A lot of remasters in the past few years have been lazy, including the stuff Ubisoft has done for Assassin's Creed 3 and Liberation. I consider Mafia: Definitive Edition to be a remake rather than a remaster because it was made from the ground up. Ubisoft was too lazy to even provide 60 frames per second for their PS3 era titles on the remasters, when the PS4 is easily capable of playing them as such.

To me it irks me even so slightly that people just outright avoid a game if it is too difficult or unfair. The amount of butthurt regarding the Infallible trophy in Fall Guys is just sad, it even got Brian of PS5Trophies fame on YouTube upset because he tried to tweet to the developers. Avoiding Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus entirely because of Mein Leben, or deciding to skip games like Sonic Mania and HITMAN 2 because they don't have a platinum. That is when trophies become too much of a hinderance and priority. Where instead of buying the games and enjoying them because you had an interest, you're buying them purely for the trophies. Then people go out and state that because they don't have the skill, or because they don't have a platinum trophy, they will skip those games.

It's complete bollocks, as my friends in the UK would say.

• Like 1

Good list. I would include Touch My Katamari on it as well as not only a fun game in the Katamari franchise but as an early Vita game it got lost in the shuffle and maybe a platinum would have gotten more players playing it.

I would also mention Ratchet and Clank Tools for Destruction and Resistance 1 as both of those games necer even got trophies despite a lot of games getting them patched in later and both of those games being big playstation franchises

• Like 1

The point about consistency is very interesting because I think to be consistent at this stage, a platinum is necessary for literally everything. Again, something I mention in the video with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is that the low effort trophy list might speak to the low effort remaster at this stage. A platinum is required at this point, despite personally still thinking it should be tied to makes that are more substantial. 

I think it's even more low effort looking because of who the dev and publisher are for it.  It would be a different matter if it was an indie game, but this is a Final Fantasy game.  It's also a game they are charging $30 for.  The lack of a plat gives a clear message that the game doesn't have enough content to justify enough trophies for a plat and if it doesn't have that much content, then why should we pay $30 for it?

Personally I think every game at this point should have a plat.  The idea of plat and non-plat games was always stupid because it introduces inequality and gives players an impression that often turns them away from the game.  Non-plat says the game is less of a game than games with a plat and especially now with so many low effort games getting a plat.  If Crystal Chronicles came from an indie dev, one could blame ignorance of the trophy system on that, but we know Square/Enix isn't ignorant of the message sent by not having a plat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I would also mention Ratchet and Clank Tools for Destruction and Resistance 1 as both of those games necer even got trophies despite a lot of games getting them patched in later and both of those games being big playstation franchises

I don't like a lot of the remasters we've gotten in the past few years, but I would definitely love to see both of these games get trophy support.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, X_Wizi_X said:

I agree just with Resident Evil 4.

Other than that I'd add The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Those 2 games need a fucking platinum

I’d LOVE a trophy patch for Oblivion but at this stage we’d be looking at a rerelease unfortunately, and I already have the game on Steam and PS3. 

7 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

The lack of a plat gives a clear message that the game doesn't have enough content to justify enough trophies for a plat and if it doesn't have that much content, then why should we pay $30 for it?

Like I mention in the video, this game does have the content and will take up to 100 hours, so there’s even less of a justification. 

I don’t want it to come off like I am actively avoiding games based on the trophy list, one look at my trophy list will show I don’t avoid games I can’t/ won’t get 100% in, but in the case of a remaster like this that I already own, I’m not going to buy the game again when they don’t even take the time to make an interesting trophy list.  

8 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Ratchet and Clank Tools for Destruction and Resistance 1

Thanks :) I think they are great ideas, especially Resistance. That’s such an underrated game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N1NJ4_V4MP1R3 said:

Like I mention in the video, this game does have the content and will take up to 100 hours, so there’s even less of a justification. 

I don’t want it to come off like I am actively avoiding games based on the trophy list, one look at my trophy list will show I don’t avoid games I can’t/ won’t get 100% in, but in the case of a remaster like this that I already own, I’m not going to buy the game again when they don’t even take the time to make an interesting trophy list.  

I'm aware the game does have the content, the trophy list just gives the exact opposite impression that it does lack content since that has been the main justification for non-plats as of late.  The lack of a plat or length of a game doesn't deter me either, if it did I wouldn't have Sparkle Unleashed on my profile which is another one of those insanely long and hard non-plats out there.  Non-plat still does send a message of lack of content, especially for a dev/publisher like Square/Enix who is more than capable of padding a trophy list with obnoxious grinds and minigames.  I passed on the game not because of the lack of a plat, but I do think the lack of a plat gives a more clear impression that this is a lazy cash grab like most Square/Enix remasters are.

• Like 1

The system was fine as it was with "full" games having a platinum trophy and "small" games being limited. Since they ruined that system, they may as well give every game a platinum trophy. It doesn't make any sense that in one game you could earn a platinum trophy in a half hour, and in another game it could take you 60 hours to get 100%.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShadeSplit said:

The system was fine as it was with "full" games having a platinum trophy and "small" games being limited. Since they ruined that system, they may as well give every game a platinum trophy. It doesn't make any sense that in one game you could earn a platinum trophy in a half hour, and in another game it could take you 60 hours to get 100%.

Have to agree with you here. Standards are completely wacked out.

16 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I passed on the game not because of the lack of a plat, but I do think the lack of a plat gives a more clear impression that this is a lazy cash grab like most Square/Enix remasters are.

I completely agree. I’m not a developer but I can’t imagine that compiling a trophy list takes much effort at all. 

All the more disappointing with this game given how much hype was around the rerelease. The director was building this game up as a serious remaster that would have made the original directors proud. I’d love to hear their feedback on this mess. 

On 10/3/2020 at 7:58 AM, ShadeSplit said:

Agreed. At this point, since they’re never going to fix the problem of hundreds of 30-60 min platinum with multiple stacks then they should at least just make it a flat requirement going forward that every single game comes with a platinum trophy no matter what.

I’ve come across a lot of little games that inexplicably have no platinum, like SOMA, Castlevania Anniversary Collection, Journey, Outlast, Overcooked, Child of Light, Guns Gore & Cannoli etc. (the list goes on and on).

Most of these examples listed are games in the 5-20 hour range that might have been deemed too small for a platinum at one point years ago, or whatever the criteria was that got them excluded. But in today’s trophy climate there really is no excuse anymore not to give EVERY game a platinum!

16 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

But in today’s trophy climate there really is no excuse anymore not to give EVERY game a platinum!

That is still up to the decision of the developer, and most of our wishes basically fall on deaf ears.

I value 100 percents more than I value a majority of platinum trophies. Take Days Gone, easy platinum, most people got it and moved on to other games. But to get the 100 percent, you need to do New Game Plus and tackle the challenges. Not exactly easy, but a number of people have done it and therefore they get a little more praise from me because they put in more effort. But generally at the end of the day, I don't care about anybodies trophy list but my own.

The platinum count on it's own is essentially worthless. I've discussed this a number of times already in the past year or so.

Far too often people care only for the journey, and not the destination.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 9:34 PM, Spaz said:

That is still up to the decision of the developer, and most of our wishes basically fall on deaf ears.

I value 100 percents more than I value a majority of platinum trophies. Take Days Gone, easy platinum, most people got it and moved on to other games. But to get the 100 percent, you need to do New Game Plus and tackle the challenges. Not exactly easy, but a number of people have done it and therefore they get a little more praise from me because they put in more effort. But generally at the end of the day, I don't care about anybodies trophy list but my own.

The platinum count on it's own is essentially worthless. I've discussed this a number of times already in the past year or so.

I agree with everything you said here, but I don’t really think it’s relevant to what I was saying.

Sony could easily mandate a platinum trophy for every trophy list going forward, and there’s really no reason not to at this point. It’s not entirely clear why some games in the past were denied a platinum trophy (by the developers, or possibly even Sony making an executive decision on certain games), but this seemed to most often occur with games/trophy lists that were shorter and/or easier in nature, almost as if it was deemed they were not deserving of a platinum.

Obviously in today’s trophy hunting climate, which is a complete joke in my opinion, this reasoning no longer applies. Therefore making platinum trophies mandatory for all lists seems like a reasonable change. There is no downside to it at all. Everybody wins.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:34 PM, Spaz said:

Far too often people care only for the journey, and not the destination.

I’m assuming you meant this the other way around?

If so, I agree that in the current trophy hunting scene, a lot of people care more about the number of trophies and platinums they have, with little regard for what actually counts - the experience of actually earning them.

A player’s trophy cabinet is like a roadmap of their gaming experience; a record of all the things they’ve achieved, the challenges they’ve overcome, and the skills they’ve developed during their PlayStation career.

At the end of the day, those little virtual symbols and numbers mean nothing in the grand scheme of things and are rather worthless on their own. It’s the journey, and the process of earning them and enjoying those games that gives your trophies meaning in your life and makes them special.

• 3 weeks later...

Ideally both the journey and the destination would be worthwhile but if either make a game worth playing, I think that’s enough. 

Was Mass Effect a worthy journey even though I was let down by the ending? Absolutely 

Was it worth playing 50+ hours of RDR2 online for the destination of the plat? Absolutely 

I think ultimately it’s a balance but of course a lot of people are only going to care about the destination on a trophy hunting website :P 

On 10/24/2020 at 3:22 AM, N1NJ4_V4MP1R3 said:

I think ultimately it’s a balance but of course a lot of people are only going to care about the destination on a trophy hunting website :P 

If the destination was all some trophy hunters cared about in Dark Souls, they are doing it completely wrong.

• Like 1

Back when trophies were not a thing, I remember enjoying Heavenly Sword, Jericho -loved the atmosphere, some scenarios reminded me of ShadowMan- or Genshin Genji: Days of the Blade. MGS4 was another, but luckily this was patched, sadly after I beat it more than 10 times with a friend that didn't own a PS3 at that time.

One that always bothered me, especially since trohies were a thing -if I recall correctly-, and it even had the list done since it released on 360 too, is SH5: Homecoming. While not a SH, it was a decent horror game to have a good time at night.

Edited by YonahFuriae
  • Like 1