PS5 Revival? (opinion)

UndamagedVirus

27 minutes ago, danceswithsloths said:

I still don't even know what Playstation Home was. I never had a PS3, so I think I missed out on that entirely? I sure hear about it a lot though. Guess I'm off to do some Googling.

Was a virtual home project that allowed for a custom avatar (that, honestly, bordered right on the uncanny valley a bit). You could earn items to decorate your home and stuff to wear based on Sony games and other promotions. The real draw was custom worlds. Like, there was a Hudson world made by Hudson that was a translucent disk hovering above an active Bomberman arena. Another draw was some of these worlds were direct connections to the games they were advertising. I forget the name, but there was a top down zombie killing game that was popular on the PS3. Around the game world, you'd find entrances to 'safe zones'. Entering one would put the game into sleep mode, launch Home and dump you into a boarded up apartment with other players who were also 'resting'. Had a screen with live updates of the leaderboards and updates from the dev team. Leave the room and Home would close, you'd be dumped back into the game right where you left.

It was a fun project. After it shut down, the lead designer said the experiment was a success. They actually started a new virtual world of the same type called Atom Universe, you can play it on the PS4 free.

I wouldn't object at all to Home returning.

• Like 4

I think with the popularity that is the VR Chat, this was in many ways, a hugely ambitious project as well as ahead of its time. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to this returning. I remember playing the RPG game a lot in PSH and hanging out, playing chess with people in downtime.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i used to go bowling there everyday, i surely do miss it, i managed to get the trophies  done, i remember the hidden missions they had in there when it first launched where u needed to find clues and figure out the riddle or goal that was going on

It's dead and never (officially) coming back.

Sony only wants projects that yield high amounts of profits. It was known PS Home just cut even, it basically paid for its development/server cost.

I think you can play Home on a modded PS3, never really looked into it. Aside from that you'll just have to settle for the alternatives, Nebula Realms and Atom Universe on the PlayStation console. Obviously you go to PC you get a lot more options with stuff like Second Life.

3 hours ago, JiII-Valentine-- said:

I call bullshit on that. What's your source?

A bunch of now gone posts from various developers?

It's also not hard to figure out logically.

Why do you think updates and features were so stagnant? How many years was it in "beta" and how long was the "official" version out before it got shutdown?

PS Home was never featured during any Sony conferences post PS3 release.

Do you think Sony shuts things down because they're wildly successful?

Look at the Resistance franchise. PS3 launch game so it moved 6 million units. Resistance 2, 4 million units. Resistance 3 with a big ad campaign and used as a flagship title to help push their failing TV branch with their new 3DTVs and only moved 2 million. So no Resistance 4.

InFamous, Killzone and SOCOM no sales so they're gone. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man are big sellers so they're all getting sequels.

4 hours ago, JiII-Valentine-- said:

I call bullshit on that. What's your source?

His source likely came straight out of his ass like many on the internet that pass on rhetoric as facts. 

On the subject matter though, I personally wouldn't care if it made a comeback or not. Played it a bit and thought it was alright but haven't missed it since it's been gone. If there's anything thats in need of revival this console generation it would be the resistance and socom series ??

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

His source likely came straight out of his ass like many on the internet that pass on rhetoric as facts.

lol, literally people that have worked on different pieces of content for the game have said it.

Please tell me why it shut down then.