Spiderman PS5 Character Model Downgraded, IMO

Kishnabe

12 minutes ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

Why do people even care if the character has been changed how does that ruin the game, Just enjoy the game they give us instead of crying over a small change. ?

If I were to guess, changing the character breaks immersion. You get similar reactions with films.

I joke about the outrage, but it is valid. I would probably be a bit bothered, if Frodo's actor was changed after the first 2 LOTR films.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VigilantCrow said:

The model should be changed every year. The enjoyment I've had reading the comments, is more than I'd ever have playing such a boring game.

I am not seeing that strong of a reaction, just people pointing out what an unnecessary and silly change it is.

• Like 2

Peter Parker looks like he's just 14 - 15 years old. The original Peter Parker at least looked more like he had some experience under his belt, he was obviously much older than Miles. A little more rugged.

This new Peter looks like a perfect fit for a shitty Disney sitcom. Could of been Miley Cyrus's co-star in both Hannah Montana and Hannah Montana: The Movie.

If they were looking to appeal to a younger audience, Insomniac hit the nail on the head. His face looks like the perfect punching bag for the local schoolyard bully. Too fucking cuddly and cute. If it wasn't for the Spider-Man hero I would go "How in the flying fuck is this kid a superhero?"

He belongs in a Teen Titans television series, not Marvel's Spider-Man.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Old one was better because he actually looked like and adult, which is also fitting considering there's another Spiderman he's mentoring. Now he looks like a literal man-child. 

very true

54 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Peter Parker looks like he's just 14 - 15 years old. The original Peter Parker at least looked more like he had some experience under his belt, he was obviously much older than Miles. A little more rugged.

This new Peter looks like a perfect fit for a shitty Disney sitcom. Could of been Miley Cyrus's co-star in both Hannah Montana and Hannah Montana: The Movie.

If they were looking to appeal to a younger audience, Insomniac hit the nail on the head. His face looks like the perfect punching bag for the local schoolyard bully. Too fucking cuddly and cute. If it wasn't for the Spider-Man hero I would go "How in the flying fuck is this kid a superhero?"

He belongs in a Teen Titans television series, not Marvel's Spider-Man.

very true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Teen Titans television series, not Marvel's Spider-Man

Have you seen Titans? It's darker than Spider-Man will ever be.

On Topic:

I think everyone under 30 looks like they might as well be around 15 so people saying this new model looks like he can be nailed down to a specific age, and based only on the looks, is laughable to me. No one in their mid 20's can look like that character model? Especially a super-powered guy? "He can have those powers, but damn it?! He can't have smooth skin and a slight build?!?!"

Yes, changing a model that drastically between titles seems jarring and that's enough of an argument. Anyone that feels the need to take the further and start nitpicking things like the perceived age of a computer generated model are just being dramatic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Have you seen Titans? It's darker than Spider-Man will ever be.

On Topic:

I think everyone under 30 looks like they might as well be around 15 so people saying this new model looks like he can be nailed down to a specific age, and based only on the looks, is laughable to me. No one in their mid 20's can look like that character model? Especially a super-powered guy? "He can have those powers, but damn it?! He can't have smooth skin and a slight build?!?!"

Yes, changing a model that drastically between titles seems jarring and that's enough of an argument. Anyone that feels the need to take the further and start nitpicking things like the perceived age of a computer generated model are just being dramatic.

I was referring to the old Teen Titans cartoon show from the early 2000s. I guess that was too long ago for most people to remember, not surprising honestly.

You heard the saying many times by this point: "30 is the new 20", "40 is the new 30". I guess 23 is the new 15 in this case.

If Ellie was suddenly changed to look younger in The Last of Us Part II, people on this website would be complaining just as much as they did with the leaked footage back in April this year. Had this remaster been a spin-off then maybe I can understand the change. I feel they made the change to appeal to a younger audience. He looks like a kid that I cannot relate to at all, because he is part of Generation Z.

Nitpicking things like the perceived age of a computer generated model is nothing new. Remember the drastic change from Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3? People griped about the character appearances. More people complained about the Mass Effect 3 ending sure, but the game generated a big shitstorm when it released.

In modern AAA games I like to feel and care for the character I am playing. Nathan Drake in Uncharted 4 was perfectly fine to me because he was an older, middle aged man, and Naughty Dog treated him as such. I think the drastic change to make Peter Parker look remarkably younger is enough of an argument. Miles is supposed to be like kid brother looking up to big brother as his role model. Now I compare him to the new Peter Parker, they look like they're both kids going to high school.

Also, I felt this remaster was just a cheap way to make more money. Marvel's Spider-Man looked spectacular enough on the PS4 Pro with 4K graphics, why did they need to remaster this game?

You might as well remaster Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and leave out the stupid survival trophies.

• Like 1

I actually like this new model better for Peter Parker, mostly because it looks like Tom Holland who in my opinion is a great Spider-Man. However, Tom Holland's Spider-Man in the films is a high school student, someone who's still relatively green. This game's Spider-Man on the other hand is already a working adult, a lot more experienced in what he does and obviously more physically mature. So as much as I like this new model, it simply doesn't match the version of Peter Parker that the game sells to its audience. So I understand the hesitation or dislikes from people, but at the same time I really don't think it's something worth raging over in forum threads or YouTube comment sections. But that's just me. 

• Like 2

Look first of all let me just say ... what a lame change to focus on. The entire "remaster" already screamed cashgrab to me since they're basically pulling the "Last of Us remastered" and "GTA V" move on us again where a game they released on the tail end of a consoles life cycle gets a free pass to be sold to consumers twice with barely any real difference besides frame rate (and possibly a few bits of added grass). Well you got me last time Sony because I really enjoyed both games but even though I also love Spiderman I just can't justify a purchase if my PS4 copy is gonna be playable through backwards compatibility. 

Now this? This is apparently such a major change for the "remaster" they actually felt they needed to promote it. Two words: Bad omen. Like alright if they felt the old facial models were somehow lacking due to technical limitations and they had decided to overhaul literally every characters face then maybe that would be worth advertising. Here's the problem though. Seems they only updated Peter as far as I can tell (at least Doc Oc wasn't updated which given his importance to the story doesn't bode well for other less important characters). Hell not only is Peter the only one seemingly getting updated his updated model isn't unanimously loved by players either (not really even close it would seem for the time being) which begs the question was this really the best "new feature" they had to show off from the remaster? 

To end on a personal note:

I honestly don't really care much for the new look. Apart from the hair looking a bit more defined (at the cost of a perhaps even blander haircut) I honestly don't see a whole lot of straight up improvements in his design. Sure he looks different but different ain't always better and I would argue in this case it probably comes down to personal preference. 

• Like 3

I wasn't a huge fan of the new face at first, but after watching it in motion, I don't think it's that bad.  It'll definitely take some getting used to, and I do prefer the old face more, but I don't think this is that big of a deal in the long run. Also, it's better for the sake of continuity that they change it here for a remaster rather than in MM or a future sequel.

8 hours ago, sk_lp_him said:

The new model has a pretty punchable face.

Got to agree with you man. Good target for schoolyard bullies. 

3 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Bryan Intihar, the game's creative director, has been getting death threats and harassment over this. Not surprising with all the drooling idiots all over the place (and once again egged on by YouTubers with nothing better to do). Seriously, folks, calm the fuck down. These are the folks that brought you the game you all loved, and this is how you treat them when they do something you don't like? I guarantee you'll forget all about this if and when you beat the game again at 4K 60FPS. It's a damn character model change, it's not even close to being as bad as a lot of you are claiming it is- do you really need to resort to hyperbole to make you feel like your voice is being heard?- and you've seen a minute of footage. As a longtime Spidey fan myself (my favourite superhero, in fact), I just can't believe the hysteria over this. Are you mad because you decided you deserved it for free and that isn't happening? Or your save files won't carry over? Hell, I've seen a good few idiots getting mad because they think they changed the voice actor as well. Seriously, grow up. 

Check out the new model's Instagram, he looks like he'd make a great Peter Parker! Oh and of course the toxic entitled manbabies are attacking him in the comments too. 

Today’s gaming culture knows how to twist the arms of developers to make them speak out, like they did for Neil Druckmann months ago. 

Pathetic. I don’t like the new Peter Parker, but these people have no excuse to take it this far. 

This is the kind of attitude that ruins America and other first world countries. Self entitled man children wanting everything on a silver platter. 

1 hour ago, Rune2303 said:

snip 

Thank You! Someone finally gets it. 

Edited by Spaz

I'd also like to note that Tom Holland is actually 24 years old and at 19/20 years old, played what, a 15/16 year old in the Marvel movies?

So saying that this model look like Tom Holland and thus looks too young to mentor a younger Miles doesn't follow logically.

1 hour ago, Rune2303 said:

The entire "remaster" already screamed cashgrab to me since they're basically pulling the "Last of Us remastered" and "GTA V" move on us again where a game they released on the tail end of a consoles life cycle gets a free pass to be sold to consumers twice with barely any real difference besides frame rate (and possibly a few bits of added grass).

The purpose of the remasters is to entice new players who didn't pick it up the first time, not selling it to consumers twice. The ones who do buy it twice want to, they're not getting the rug pulled from under them by Sony, they know what they're in for.

If someone already bought the first release, and especially if there isn't any new content, they're not impacted at all by remasters. Aside from thinking everything is about them.