Spiderman PS5 Character Model Downgraded, IMO

Kishnabe

At first I was shocked, which I guess is no surprise when you sink hours into a game and grow to love a character, and by association, the way they look. To be honest, the more times I watch the video the more I don't mind the new look. I do share the same sentiment with others about how he looks younger- and how that will look compared especially to Mary Jane and Miles. But I have faith that they're going to make sure it looks right.

On a side note- everyone's talking about Tom Holland but does anyone see maybe a hint of Grant Gustin?

36 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'd also like to note that Tom Holland is actually 24 years old and at 19/20 years old, played what, a 15/16 year old in the Marvel movies?

That’s normal. That’s usually how actors in Hollywood and elsewhere get casted in movies and TV shows.

38 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

So saying that this model look like Tom Holland and thus looks too young to mentor a younger Miles doesn't follow logically.

That’s one of my biggest criticisms on this change. 

Peter Parker is basically a guy in his early 20s, finished college/university and is helping out Doc. Miles looked up to him, even more so after his father’s death. He is a high school/college aged kid and he is treated as such. It’s perfectly normal to have people younger than you look up to your peers as role models. It’s no different from when we were kids and we looked up to Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant as sport stars. You influence a younger generation. 

But here, Peter looks young even when compared to Miles. That is the youngest looking 23 year old I have ever seen, real or not. The least they could of done was better resemble what an average guy in his early 20s looks like. 

43 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The purpose of the remasters is to entice new players who didn't pick it up the first time, not selling it to consumers twice. The ones who do buy it twice want to, they're not getting the rug pulled from under them by Sony, they know what they're in for.

Well I can’t agree entirely with this. 

The Last of Us was an exclusive, a lot of people were still with Microsoft. Angry Joe of Youtube fame admitted that he didn’t play the original game so he played the remaster on the PS4. A lot of people jumped ship after the Xbox One fiasco.

GTA V on the PS4 had several additional changes including first person mode, which the original PS3/360 version does not have so you can’t consider it to be just a simple remaster. GTA Online allows more people in a session and there is enough of a difference to see that the PS4 version is far superior. 

Marvel’s Spider-Man has less of a point. If I’m to understand that you can run the original game on the PS5, I see no reason to buy this remaster unless you want to either stack it or you somehow avoided the game for this long. There needs to be more than a change to Peter Parker’s face, but the remaster isn’t out yet, we don’t know everything that is going to be in it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Bryan Intihar, the game's creative director, has been getting death threats and harassment over this. Not surprising with all the drooling idiots all over the place (and once again egged on by YouTubers with nothing better to do). Seriously, folks, calm the fuck down. These are the folks that brought you the game you all loved, and this is how you treat them when they do something you don't like? I guarantee you'll forget all about this if and when you beat the game again at 4K 60FPS. It's a damn character model change, it's not even close to being as bad as a lot of you are claiming it is- do you really need to resort to hyperbole to make you feel like your voice is being heard?- and you've seen a minute of footage. As a longtime Spidey fan myself (my favourite superhero, in fact), I just can't believe the hysteria over this. Are you mad because you decided you deserved it for free and that isn't happening? Or your save files won't carry over? Hell, I've seen a good few idiots getting mad because they think they changed the voice actor as well. Seriously, grow up. 

Check out the new model's Instagram, he looks like he'd make a great Peter Parker! Oh and of course the toxic entitled manbabies are attacking him in the comments too. 

As a wise old man said once 

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PostGameBlues said:

Well it didn't take that long for gamers to start sending death threats once again over something they don't like. Honestly I'm just appalled that people would send death threats over the smallest and pettiest of things. These kinds of people make the whole gaming community look like whiny entitled manchildren. :facepalm: 

Sending those threats should be liable to get them thrown in jail. It was never okay to send threats, period.

I can probably already guess they're out of touch with the real world. I don't like the facial change to Peter Parker, as I've stated several times already, but I wouldn't stoop so low as to give somebody on Twitter or Facebook a bunch of bullshit because I don't like it.

Just tells me these people probably had piss poor parents who didn't discipline them on anything. So we get these man childs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I'd also like to note that Tom Holland is actually 24 years old and at 19/20 years old, played what, a 15/16 year old in the Marvel movies?

So saying that this model look like Tom Holland and thus looks too young to mentor a younger Miles doesn't follow logically.

The purpose of the remasters is to entice new players who didn't pick it up the first time, not selling it to consumers twice. The ones who do buy it twice want to, they're not getting the rug pulled from under them by Sony, they know what they're in for.

If someone already bought the first release, and especially if there isn't any new content, they're not impacted at all by remasters. Aside from thinking everything is about them.

Well Damn man, not sure if that last bit was a jab specifically targeted towards me but still ... ouch :(

Sorry if I gave you the impression that this game had to fit my preferences perfectly because obviously it doesn't. Unlike the previously mentioned ps3 games where the only way to play the games on your new console was to buy the remasters I'm assuming we'll be able to play the ps4 version on the ps5 anyways so in all likeliness they were never gonna catch my interest with this game anyways so you're absolutely right in that it doesn't really affect me in any way :)

As for the part about feeling scammed by Sony I can see how might have read it like that. Again sorry for that wasn't really what I was trying to get across. While I'm sure there's probably people out there who do feel that way, I certainly never did. I bought the mentioned games again out of my own free will because I wanted to continue playing some of my ps3 games on my ps4. Now sure I appreciated the upgrades (mostly the frame rates) but in all honesty I never bought the new versions because of those features but rather because of the ps4 lack of backwards compatibility. Now however with the ps5 that point seems to be completely eliminated (as far as ps4 games are concerned anyways), which honestly just seems like a win for everyone. 

As for your final point I have to whole heartedly agree. There is absolutely gonna be people who never played the ps4 version even though they wanted to and for them I'm guessing this new version probably seems great. I just cant help but feel like this remaster makes a little bit less sense however compared to the ps3 ones like Last of Us and GTA. Not only is there the backwards compatibility issue we already mentioned but I also don't really feel like there isn't gonna be as much of a surge of new playstation players as there was back with the ps4 because of Xbox's massive blunder with the Xbox One reveal.

Probably also worth mentioning the high sales numbers for Spiderman on the ps4 (I believe it was 13 million or something back when I last heard something about it) which I would assume represents that most people who would ever have an interest in buying the game probably did so back then. I don't know maybe I'm missing something here but doesn't it feel like they might be going for a bit of tiny consumer base if they truly only care about new players on this one?

• Like 1

While I 100% agree he looks a lot like Tom Holland now I don't understand the change.

This was Insominiac's take on an older Spider-Man who has been around the block a few times. So why do we have a baby faced high schooler now?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Plus, it now really looks like Felicia got it on with a minor and insinuates they had a kid... just saying. 

• 1 month later...

For me...this was a total "whatever" decision. I think it's all logistics associated with future installments and mo-cap...although this is purely speculation on my part. There's always the "fan service" answer...and then there's the actual financial answer. Sometimes they're the same...most the time they're not.

The one thing I'm going to do is definitely give Insomniac some massive breathing room on their decisions. It was a completely genius move to hand Spiderman over to them. The second I heard it...it made complete sense to me. Seriously, not to jump too deep into the nerd pool, but if Peter Parker himself made a video game that wasn't Spiderman....it would have been Ratchet and Clank. Completely brilliant move with the Marvel license. Since they definitely haven't really dropped the ball much in 20 plus years...and most definitely didn't with Spiderman...I'm going to honor their street cred on this one and give them the benefit of the doubt.