Sifferino

Disc version: bugs, freezes, crashes?

8 posts in this topic

I realise this is an old game, so I might not get a response... but can't hurt to try.

So I got the disc version of Hot Pursuit. It is in good condition: there's a small scratch on the disc, but fine otherwise. I honestly doubt it is causing me issues, I've seen much worse. But... this game is really screwing with me.

1) The second police race glitches on me: about 30 - 60 seconds in, the road suddenly disappears and looks like water. As a result my police car falls through the road forever. The racers have gone through. I can't get out of this and when I try to quit the game the PS3 crashes and reboots most of the time.

2) The second racer's race glitches on me as well: when I finish the race in first place and get shown the results... it just freezes. Trying to quit the game and the PS3 crashes and reboots.

3) Autolog isn't very stable, it does lose connection quite often. This is not related to my (cabled) internet connection itself, or my PSN connection. I've literally played Most Wanted for hours and hours before this and it never had an issue.

So yeah, there is absolutely no way for me to progress. What the hell? Is this game known to be glitchy? Can anyone offer me a hypothesis? I am at a loss.

I should note that my PS3 is running fine as far as I know. It is a Super Slim and it has never giving me any grief, no overheating etc. I don't have any weird issues with other games. So far at least 🙃

I have the disc version too. I played it back in 2012 and 2016/17 but never encounters any of the glitches you mention. I also never heard of this game having an known glitches like that either. I hate the suggest the obvious, but have to tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game? Might be worthwhile if other games play fine on your ps3.

I can't quite remember if I had issues with the Autolog. My only thought would be that the serves for this game are old and just not maintained like they used to be.

Thanks for your reply. I am starting to suspect the disc drive in my Super Slim is faulty, now another game (coincidentally another NFS game, The Run) is also giving me weird issues. Seems to me the drive is too slow to read data in time or something. 

i just got this PS3, it is still in refurbished warranty so I think I’ll just have it swapped...

5 hours ago, Sifferino said:

Thanks for your reply. I am starting to suspect the disc drive in my Super Slim is faulty, now another game (coincidentally another NFS game, The Run) is also giving me weird issues. Seems to me the drive is too slow to read data in time or something. 

i just got this PS3, it is still in refurbished warranty so I think I’ll just have it swapped...

No worries, thought id add my experience in case it was useful.

If that's the case, it sounds like the blur ray laser on your disc drive is on the way out. If it's still under warranty, I'd take it back cause you'll be have it replaced pretty soon. 

TL;DR: Solved!

Because the problem is so weird I figured there would be a high chance of me returning the PS3 under warranty and them returning it with "we couldn't find any fault": both times with me paying for shipping costs. So I googled laser rot some more and felt the symptoms I had didn't quite match up. My working theory changed to "could I simply be unlucky with two discs in a row"? Sure enough, that is indeed the case.

I ordered another used copy of NFS: Hot Pursuit and what do you know? No problems whatsoever. The tiny scratches I saw on the first used copy apparently were more severe than I thought. I'll find myself another copy of NFS: The Run now too. Annoying, but still a huge relief!

I had the same issue with my copy. I too initially thought it was my PS3, as it was a bit unstable with other games and the laser seemed to be failing. I ended up getting a replacement PS3, but the issues with NFS continued, so then knew that disk was the problem. I bought another copy and all now works perfectly.

Strange thing was that there didn't seem to be any severe scratches, just a few minor ones, but I guess one crossed some vital data.

I have the digital version and the falling through glitch happened to me once. Outside of that, nothing else happened. 

On 1/1/2021 at 3:06 PM, IanEvs79 said:

I had the same issue with my copy. I too initially thought it was my PS3, as it was a bit unstable with other games and the laser seemed to be failing. I ended up getting a replacement PS3, but the issues with NFS continued, so then knew that disk was the problem. I bought another copy and all now works perfectly.

Strange thing was that there didn't seem to be any severe scratches, just a few minor ones, but I guess one crossed some vital data.

Weird huh? My scratches weren’t severe either. I have never heard of a situation where scratches resulted in any game completely misinterpreting code (‘this road is made of zero gravity water”) instead of just crashing... weird! But true. 

This is also one of the few games where a lengthy hard disk installation isn’t required. It might explain why we didn’t see this issue with most other games: the disc scratches would have interfered with the installation already, alerting the gamer much earlier that their copy was faulty.