Would you recommend doing first playthrough on ‘classic’ difficulty?

Jimmy947

For those who have already played the game on classic would you advise starting the game for the first time on this difficulty or do you feel it sucks the fun out of it a bit?
I have yet to start the game but was thinking of just getting everything done on one ‘classic difficulty’ playthrough? I still want to enjoy the game and it’s setting though. 
It should probably be noted that I played and completed the original Mafia on PS2 in 2004 and enjoyed it. I didn’t find anything, including the race, too taxing from memory.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy947 said:

For those who have already played the game on classic would you advise starting the game for the first time on this difficulty or do you feel it sucks the fun out of it a bit?
I have yet to start the game but was thinking of just getting everything done on one ‘classic difficulty’ playthrough? I still want to enjoy the game and it’s setting though. 
It should probably be noted that I played and completed the original Mafia on PS2 in 2004 and enjoyed it. I didn’t find anything, including the race, too taxing from memory.

Given your experience with the original I'd say its a good idea to play on classic first. The story isn't bad but not really necessary to play twice if you are focusing on trophies. I feel like classic made the story more fun anyways. Minus the race of course. 

• Like 3

I haven't tried anything other than Classic difficulty, but I wouldn't say it's been all that difficult so far (maybe 3/4's through the game) outside of the race and a few brief sections that I hear are a little unbalanced on any difficulty.  It's not a bad difficulty to start with if you wanted to.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Yeah I'd also say start with Classic, most of the parts are not really difficult, except for a few parts. Checkpoints are fair so you don't have to redo a lot of stuff if you die.

Stay in cover as much as possible, watch for enemies that try to flank you and again getting into cover is your best friend here.

Be aware that if you die it won't refill your health nor your ammo. Reloading wastes the bullets that you are still having in your magazine so watch out for that too and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, preciseRNG said:

Reloading wastes the bullets that you are still having in your magazine so watch out for that too and you'll be fine.

I was wondering why sometimes I'd lose massive chunks of ammo for no reason. xD  Figured the game was just glitching on me.  Good to know!

• Like 2

Even if you do save Classic for the 2nd playthrough with skip-drive and skipping cutscenes as well as knowing what to do and where to go...

The story is easily wrapped up under 6 hours. Like the comment before said except the race. some on-rails sections and a few other encounters it is not THAT difficult.

• Like 1

The guide says 2 playthroughs but I see zero point in that. There's nothing at all that's difficult to be honest on classic, didn't really struggle with any gun fights with aim assist on and you never run out of bullets. You need to do the race on classic anyway so I see no point in 2 playthroughs. It says the cops annoy you when driving to locations but i think i had a 1 star wanted level from driving too fast once in the whole game ?

Edited by andy22385
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

Even if you do save Classic for the 2nd playthrough with skip-drive and skipping cutscenes as well as knowing what to do and where to go...

The story is easily wrapped up under 6 hours. Like the comment before said except the race. some on-rails sections and a few other encounters it is not THAT difficult.

I didn’t realise the game had a ‘skip drive’ function? With that being the case and your comment regarding the story only taking about 6 hours to complete (with skipping) I might actually do the 2 playthroughs, starting my first on medium.

Might as well get my moneys worth out of the game I guess and it’s not like I have anything better to do in lockdown ?

The main thing putting me off classic for first playthrough is the race really, if it does end up taking me like 3-4 hours it’s just going to ruin the whole experience for me because I know I’ll get impatient and just want to just move on with the story. Whereas if it’s my second run I won’t mind giving it the time it probably needs.

I’m going to start the game this weekend, thanks to everyone who replied.

5 hours ago, Jimmy947 said:

I didn’t realise the game had a ‘skip drive’ function? With that being the case and your comment regarding the story only taking about 6 hours to complete (with skipping) I might actually do the 2 playthroughs, starting my first on medium.

Might as well get my moneys worth out of the game I guess and it’s not like I have anything better to do in lockdown 1f602.png

The main thing putting me off classic for first playthrough is the race really, if it does end up taking me like 3-4 hours it’s just going to ruin the whole experience for me because I know I’ll get impatient and just want to just move on with the story. Whereas if it’s my second run I won’t mind giving it the time it probably needs.

I’m going to start the game this weekend, thanks to everyone who replied.

I'd recommend one playthrough medium or hard, to take in the sites, hear and see the story and enjoy the game + do the collectibles. Then switch to classic, enable skip drive and skip everything you can for the Classic to cut time ~60%.

The 2nd run is very doable in one afternoon (as I've done) and the race is really not a dealbreaker, I don't want to sound like a 'pro-gamur' here but all the "took me 4 hours" posts are ridiculous or have no experience in racing games. If you drive clean and figure out the Mafia driving model it will take you 20-30minutes tops. And the whole run will be 4-5 hours.

The game is quite good and the story in enjoyable so I would definitely recommend the first playthrough separate if you're not bent on doing it on Classic for whatever reason or are considering it from the trophy hunting aspect.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I would recommend to play through this on Classic difficulty first if you're an experienced "hard mode" gamer.

I would say in relation to other games hardest difficulties...this one ranks at about a 4 or 5 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. It took 2 sittings in a 24 hour period for me to go from first trophy to last in the story.

If you're not experienced with hard mode in games..or you just want to chill out and enjoy an amazing story...maybe one level down from there.