This Game is a huge wasted opportunity

pepemacca

20 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

To be fair, the online competitive aspect of it was the main driving force behind making it. The campaign feels half assed because it most likely was lol.

I take your point, but really the main driving force behind making this was rushing it out with as little content as possible. The campaign on this looks like it was put together in a week. And yet loads of people are apparently lapping it upit’s sad to see such a huge franchise be so poorly served. Why go to all the bother of generating all these game assets, Then not use them to build engaging,exciting fun mission levels, it’s beyond lazy. it’s like the went so far then gave up before reaching the finish line. I expect there will be paid DLC featuring classic ships and battles, the things that should have been in the game in the first place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pepemacca said:

I take your point, but really the main driving force behind making this was rushing it out with as little content as possible. The campaign on this looks like it was put together in a week. And yet loads of people are apparently lapping it upit’s sad to see such a huge franchise be so poorly served. Why go to all the bother of generating all these game assets, Then not use them to build engaging,exciting fun mission levels, it’s beyond lazy. it’s like the went so far then gave up before reaching the finish line. I expect there will be paid DLC featuring classic ships and battles, the things that should have been in the game in the first place.

Again though, the single player was literally tacked on. In the first reveal they went on and on about how the multiplayer was the main focus. Even 5 minutes of research could have told you that the campaign wasn't going to be anything special. They never tried to hide that fact lol. They just wanted to get a space pilot game out for vr.

Also, I'm pretty sure they already announced there's not going to be dlc for it. It's a one and done game the way they made it sound.

• Like 1

They never tried to hide that fact that the single player campaign was going to be ‘nothing special’? I don’t agree with that.

the multi player was shown as a significant part of the game but it was also definitely advertised as having a single player campaign.

Plenty of multiplayer games have fair to good campaigns that are at least worth playing through, so they’re banking on the customer assuming this campaign might be worth picking it up for, especially when it’s a Star Wars Title which has had a long history of decent single player games across different genres. 

Thankfully the ‘writer’ of this and bf2 has left Motive to work on other projects. 

Even EAs flagship single player Star Wars games doesn't come close to the classics like Jedi Outcast (which also had very fun mp on pc) or Republic Commando. 

I didn't expect greatness from this but it's quite fun for £35, I'm playing on ace and it's quite a challenge, I imagine if I did it on the easier settings and got through it in a few hours I'd be a bit annoyed. 

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Again though, the single player was literally tacked on. In the first reveal they went on and on about how the multiplayer was the main focus. Even 5 minutes of research could have told you that the campaign wasn't going to be anything special. They never tried to hide that fact lol. They just wanted to get a space pilot game out for vr.

Also, I'm pretty sure they already announced there's not going to be dlc for it. It's a one and done game the way they made it sound.

Bang on, I'm enjoying the campaign on ace, but you can tell it's an extended tutorial to get new people into flight games ready for the multilayer, which isn't a terrible idea. 

• Like 2

Actually have to disagree. And it seems to be two camps, the older X-Wing/TIE Fighter fans and everyone else.

I don't want hero ships anywhere near this! No repeats of all the same battles. No playing as Luke/Han/Vader and so on. The story definitely could be a lot better but the grunt pilot story is what they need to focus on. I remember the first few levels in Tie Fighter being fly here, patrol, scan, chase escaping rebel. Pretty much the first level of Squadrons - definitely feel a homage to that.

They should try to roll some sort of high level story to the multiplayer, have battles add up to an overall win or loss for faction. Keeping people playing to be part of the ongoing war.

• Like 1

So far I am disappointed with the game as well. Will definitely continue playing though and hope they add some updates that make it more fun. 

The campaign as you said is boring so far (I'm not too far). Multiplayer is good but I can see that getting really boring as well. Fleet battles was what I was looking forward to the most and its probably the biggest let down for me so far. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

So far I am disappointed with the game as well. Will definitely continue playing though and hope they add some updates that make it more fun. 

The campaign as you said is boring so far (I'm not too far). Multiplayer is good but I can see that getting really boring as well. Fleet battles was what I was looking forward to the most and its probably the biggest let down for me so far. 

Trust me, ramp it up to ace and you won't be calling it boring! :') Annoying, rage inducing etc but boring won't be one. :D

To be fair I don't know why anyone expected the single player to not be repetitive?

Your in a spaceship and you shoot things, move to a different spot shoot more things, move over there collect this, now wait, cutscene, okay shoot more things. This has been practically every Star Wars game ever focusing on space ships. I really don't know what people expected to be added more to the formula.

Though if EA make a Battlefront 3 I would love to see them reintroduce gameplay from the PSP only Battlefront: Elite Squadron that went from capital ships to planetside again because that was the best way to incorporate spaceships into the larger battles made a simultaneous fight happen between ground forces, air forces and space.

• Like 2

I just picked it up for the multiplayer, which I'm enjoying so far. Although with only two modes I can see it getting stale fairly quickly. I hope they add in a couple more ways to play and other content to keep things interesting. 

Story mode is just a bonus for me, I've only completed up to mission 3, it's ok so far but yeah, story isn't amazing but can't say I'm surprised about that. Personally I'm glad to see them stay away from the usual hero characters at least. 

Edited by LieutenantFatman

1 hour ago, LieutenantFatman said:

I just picked it up for the multiplayer, which I'm enjoying so far. Although with only two modes I can see it getting stale fairly quickly. I hope they add in a couple more ways to play and other content to keep things interesting. 

Story mode is just a bonus for me, I've only completed up to mission 3, it's ok so far but yeah, story isn't amazing but can't say I'm surprised about that. Personally I'm glad to see them stay away from the usual hero characters at least. 

I've got a feeling Motive won't be adding anything to this game post launch, I think it was a quick asset flip from Battlefront 2 (you can see a lot of the same content / sounds), but as it was I enjoyed it too! 

12 minutes ago, GeneralBoldOne said:

I've got a feeling Motive won't be adding anything to this game post launch, I think it was a quick asset flip from Battlefront 2 (you can see a lot of the same content / sounds), but as it was I enjoyed it too! 

I mean... They are based on the same license... If they didnt look & sound alike, at least one of them would not have hit the template of the movies... Of course Ties look and sound like Ties and Xwings look and sound like Xwings and so forth... 

15 hours ago, Aeternull said:

The lack of marketing and low price tag was a clear indication this wasn't a top game.

I think the price tag indicates the quantity (lack of content) more than the quality.  They essentially pulled one mode (Starfighter Assault) out of the Battlefront games and sold it as a stand-alone title.  

And the single-player “campaign” is similar to the Battlefront II one, just a few random missions.