Will I ever understand MGS!?

I originally played MGS2 when it was released for the PS2, I didn’t understand the story then...replaying the HD Collection version now on PS3, I still find it hard to get it clear in my head. Is it just me? I like the general themes and the tone of the story as it’s presented, but in terms of following what’s going on as the plot unfolds, I just lose the thread. Does it make more sense after multiple play throughs? The fact I never played the first MGS is probably not helping.

It would probably be a good idea to play or watch a playthrough of the first one and then play 3 and 4. Each game has its own underlying themes that tend to tie into the story, so in MGS2 you have the theme of finding an identity for yourself while also trying to find meaning and purpose in life. Along with that are also themes of information control which is a big part of the Colonel AI speech at the end and it's pretty amazing how despite the game being from 2001 it wound up being accurate to the modern day. The game is definitely timeless in more ways than one.

• Like 3

I certainly don't think I ever will. I mean, I understand just about enough, I guess, but my brain doesn't seem very compatible with the overwrought plotting seemingly endemic to a certain subset of Japanese video game designers. So much of it is needlessly oblique and cryptic to the point of provocation... MGS2 in particular. Add to that the fact that Kojima is a worse serial abuser of retroactive continuity than J.K. Rowling on a Christmas bender, and... well, it's just as well Kojima has other, more superlative skills as a video game designer, to fall back on. Doesn't much diminish my opinion of MGS on a greater scale, but it does mean I'm more liable to skip the story on a replay than not.

(And yes, this is my roundabout way of saying Kojima's grasp of narrative lucidity and storytelling beats is borderline Spielbergian compared to Nomura and whatever other goofy goobers are writing at Square these days!)

You remind me of the ten-year-old me playing the game in 2001.

Whenever I replayed it when I was 20 or so it made a lot more sense, seeing as social media and the internet had evolved to the point where MGS2's focus on false information seemed all too relevant.

If you're looking for a deeper look into the game's narrative then I'd highly recommend this video - always thought it was the best out of the multitude of MGS2 analyses out there:

Edited by Gotakibono

I don't know whats so hard to understand about the MGS timeline IF you played the first one. Everything will be explained for you then. You don't need a super high amount of attention. 

48 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The story in MGS 2 has always been a load of old bollocks, even when it was first released. The other games (apart from 5) all have decent stories but 2's sucks and always has done.

I totally disagree. 2's story was good too. 

• Like 4

Basically there is girlish-looking guy trying to save the day but turns out he is inside some weird-ass simulation based on events of MGS1 and the bad guys behind all of this are actually running experiment to make super-soldiers in future (based on info they gather on his mission success/fail). But whole plan falls as soon as Solid Snake (real one) shows up and shit hits the fan and Washington. And bad guys are not actually humans, they more like super powerful AI that shape societies (and all that comes with it) by manipulating with censorship and overall human thinking. So when game ends Kojima goes like, "doesn't matter if things are real or not, be a good man and respect your surroundings and stuff".

P.S.
MGS 4 kinda ruined core idea behind MGS 2, meanwhile MGS 3 gave us more info on "bad guys" from MGS2 and Big Boss story.

Edited by guy who says bruh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pepemacca said:

The fact I never played the first MGS is probably not helping.

It would really help if you played it. MGS2 is the continuation of the story, even though most of the sequel's plot points are new.

I watched a playthrough of MGS2 long time ago - didn't understand parts of the story (I also didn't know English as well as I do know). Then played the PS3 remaster a couple of years ago - and had no problem understanding everything. I think I remember the entire plot, actually. I've also played MGS1 many times before MGS2.

Edited by Alderriz

I don't think you're massively disadvantaged by not having played MGS1 - the game even asks if you've played the original, and slightly adjusts the narrative if you haven't. I wouldn't recommend getting hung up on every plot point - some of it can be unnecessary complicated, if not outright convoluted.

I think MGS2 is best enjoyed for its themes and context as opposed to specific story details. It's probably the only video game where wildly subverting expectations actually worked (looking at you, TLOU2). Raiden is everything that most players probably don't want to be, and this ties into so much of MGS2's overarching narrative. It's stunning.

• Like 1