DLC/Add-ons...what are your thoughts on them?

Wade_VC

As the title of the thread states, what are your opinions on DLC/Add-ons that is available on many games anymore?

Do you like DLC/Add-ons, do you feel they are a waste of time and money, or are they an added appeal to a game?

As for me, I do like some DLC, and have purchased my fair share. Some of the DLC/Add-ons I have purchased have made those games that much enjoyable and have helped to extend the game and gaming experience as well.

But at the same time, I am also getting a little tired of seeing "Day 1" DLC/Add-ons as well. When anyone purchases a game on the day of release (or even the same month) at $50+, and the first thing they see are a slew of DLC/Add-ons available for said game, indicates to me that the game has been stripped down, and bits of it that should have been included with the original purchase is now being sold as an "addition" to the game.

What are your thoughts on DLC/Add-on content?

To me add ons is just and obviouse way for company's to make more money and some of them annoy me because they are way to over priced black ops DLC for example and I hate it if I 100% a game I dislike and they bring out a DLC trophy set that I will never buy it ruins the look of my list lol only DLC I was ever excited for was BFBC2 Vietnam.

But I mean add up all the black ops DLC it's worth more than the game itself.

Oh and pestle little DLC's that you play once and never go back to it they should come standard with the game.

If done correctly, I see DLC as a good thing to extend a game's life, not just new skins but proper content.

However, there seems to be a growing trend of "Day 1" DLC.

If the amount of content in a game is pitched right and you feel that you have your money's worth, then any DLC is a bonus (even more so if it's free), it's when you feel short changed with the main game and Day 1 DLC could clearly have been incorporated into it, that's what sticks in my throat.

I like to know if DLC is going to be available for a game I love to prevent me from trading it in when I've finished it, but most companies just seem to have their timing wrong. I think it's the online side of things that creates a fad with certain games and the need to keep pumping out DLC so the game is in people's minds still. Too many developers are making naff DLC to try and make more money instead of creating additional content which is good for the game which would most likely sell and generate money anyway.

it's a love hate situation with Me. if it's a game I like, then the more content the better. take GTA IV and dead Nation for instance. 2 games I got alot of love for with awesome :awesome: DLCs to continue the carnage. but then there are games like Black Ops. I pray for it to end. :shakefist: and My prayers go unanswered. and then I'm tortured with a new DLC every 2 or 3 months. :angry:

• Like 1

it's a love hate situation with Me. if it's a game I like, then the more content the better. take GTA IV and dead Nation for instance. 2 games I got alot of love for with awesome :awesome: DLCs to continue the carnage. but then there are games like Black Ops. I pray for it to end. :shakefist: and My prayers go unanswered. and then I'm tortured with a new DLC every 2 or 3 months. :angry:

Yep. That's my beef as well. Along with DLC thats way too expensive, or requires you to buy some overpriced accessory. (LBP2)

Dlc with trophies annoy the hell out of the completist side of me.

Sometimes i go for dlc that unlocks stuff in the game like in Magic the gathering where i want to play with my bro, and don't really care about winning games to get all the cards.

• Like 1

Pre-order, New outfits, extra weapons & horse armour, No. Extra levels, Missions that really extend gameplay, yes. The one company in my opinion that does DLC right is Rockstar.

I mean look at the new Batman game, We've got a number of retailers to pick from depending on which pre-order DLC you want, and Rocksteady have already said is that within the month all of the pre-order deals will be available to all customers, thats going to be roughly 5 outfits at £3 each plus the Robin Preorder DLC at say... at least £5. Milking that extra out of day 1 customers is just cheeky in my opinion. Thing is, as long as people keep paying for it, they will keep throwing it out there. So, as much as people may complain, they are still making sales from someone.

The other thing I'm tending to do, is wait for GOTY editions as these usually have everything in. If I enjoyed the game enough I usually trade in the original against the GOTY and it still works out a lot cheaper.

Pre-order, New outfits, extra weapons & horse armour, No. Extra levels, Missions that really extend gameplay, yes. The one company in my opinion that does DLC right is Rockstar.

I mean look at the new Batman game, We've got a number of retailers to pick from depending on which pre-order DLC you want, and Rockstar have already said is that within the month all of the pre-order deals will be available to all customers, thats going to be roughly 5 outfits at £3 each plus the Robin Preorder DLC at say... at least £5. Milking that extra out of day 1 customers is just cheeky in my opinion. Thing is, as long as people keep paying for it, they will keep throwing it out there. So, as much as people may complain, they are still making sales from someone.

The other thing I'm tending to do, is wait for GOTY editions as these usually have everything in. If I enjoyed the game enough I usually trade in the original against the GOTY and it still works out a lot cheaper.

Don't forget the Dual pack like Resistance & Uncharted.

I'm really not that fond of DLC as others have said far more eloquently than I ever could. I have been tempted by the LA Noire ones with the pass it seems rare good value but by the time I finish one game I generally have the next lined up so I tend to forget about it.

eedar_dlc600.jpg

Thought this might sum some things up.

Why is privacy so high? Like they don't want to put their card info online (who can blame them, thats why I buy prepaid PSN cards) or they are afraid DLC will steal their souls?

As for my thoughts on it... DLC is fine if it comes in two flavors. Free, or a substantial amount of content worth the price that comes out some time after the game is released. I hate Day One DLC packs and stuff you have to pay for just to unlock what's already on the disc, how much more obvious can it be that it's just a desperate attempt for a little extra money out of our pockets. Little accessories you can buy like in LittleBigPlanet doesn't bother me as much, since it's mostly cosmetic and I can't blame people for buying it if they like it.

Valve does it right, Rockstar does it right. A few others do it right as well. Sadly, that's about it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Much like it's been said here so far, I think if done correctly DLC can be a great thing. However far too often we're seeing it used as cash grabs and now starting to be used for motivation to buy games new. (Looking at you Catwoman DLC for Arkham City)

I think one of the best examples of DLC was Borderlands. Most of it extended the gameplay with fun and interesting side stories. (Although I wasn't a fan of Moxxi's arena battles) It also didn't all come out within the first two months, but that's just a personal thing since I don't usually sell/trade my games in.

Overall I just want more content of something that I enjoyed and not just stuff unlocked from a disc on day one or shortly after release. (PGA 12 Anyone?) I'm not big on DLC that are just cosmetic changes to a game, but I won't say get rid of them since it doesn't hurt the game and it's other people's money. I think in the end it's just being smart about what you get and making sure not fuel companies for finding new ways to nickle and dime us to death.

• Like 1

DLC is ok for some games but not all of them like the Bad Company 2 i have bougth all the DLC and got 100% Platinum and DLC done i hate it when i see a game in my list with DLC and no 100% Platinum. I still hope they make a fix for it so your 100% Platinum will never drop down in % , and yes like everyone knows it al about the money look @ EA every NFS game they make is with DLC.

Oh and what i sometimes hate about DLC they bring out a release date and trophylist for the DLC even when the game is not released yet. Strange.

Yep. That's my beef as well. Along with DLC thats way too expensive, or requires you to buy some overpriced accessory. (LBP2)

I think MediaMolecule does DLC right though. Sure, there are tons of costume releases, but it's all optional, so you can hold out for ones that you really like. And when trophies are added, it's for some pretty juicy content.

Along with DLC thats way too expensive, or requires you to buy some overpriced accessory. (LBP2)

Unless I am greatly mistaken, there is no DLC that "requires" you to purchase it. If you don't like it, find it too expensive or whatever,

DO NOT BUY IT, it really is that simple.

If one has some overwhelming fixation to have to earn every trophy for 100%, and thus feel they "need" or are "required" to purchase DLC for that reason only, I would say that is a whole different issue than the DLC itself.

• Like 3